What positive things have people said about your hair?

My boyfriend (who is white) always tell me that he loves my hair, and he loves laying in it (sometimes i have to put stop to it, haha)

And my friends give me a lot of compliments on the styles that i wear, since i've stopped wearing my hair just straight and down all the time.

My SO LOVES smelling and playing in my hair, I gotta fight him to wrap it up so I can go to sleep lol.

When I got my touch up after 6 mos. the other stylist in the salon said my hair was lookin mighty healthy.

One of my friends who has MBL hair hadn't seen me in months and she said my hair was really growing.

It seems I'm doing something right! :)

The only thing I get is your hair is a nice texture, meaning my natural hair texture when it starts to go in.

the best complements for me, are from men.

one guy just loves my hair. he loves it maybe more than i do. he said its so thick that he could sleep in it and would help me DC and do protein treatments. i loved to hear that.
Wow...sleep in it. That's so cute! You know come to think of it, my guy always offers to help me do my hair: wash, whatever as he knows because it's getting really thick and long that it takes me forever. I didn't think of that as a compliment until now. He does like my hair a lot and always compliments me. I'm too paranoid to let anyone touch it though that don't know what they're doing so I gave him an "I don't think so look".

What I like about him most is that he also liked when my hair was two inches too. He's very supportive. I think he responds to "shine". He says all guys like shine, it's like a magnet.:grin:

Great thread. I love hearing positive things said about our hair. I actually had three separate hair compliment incidents that happened last week alone. Observe:

Monday: I was at the gym about to take a class. A woman came up to me and said, "Your hair is absolutely stunning! I couldn't stop staring at it!" I was like :blush: and thanked her. Then she said she could tell I was natural and started asking me about how I care for my hair. She made my whole night.

Wednesday: I was in downtown Atlanta for a meeting. Upon leaving the parking lot, I was looking down in my purse to get out my money. When I lifted my head up, the attendant said, "Ooooh ... your hair so pretty!" Again, I was like :blush: and thanked her.

Thursday: I was at a fast food drive thru window :sekret: when again, I bent my head down to get my money, lifted it up and the fast food girl said, "You have beautiful hair. How'd you get those waves? Are those natural?" Again ... I was flattered. I had to quickly tell her about my natural hair regimen before all the cars behind me started honking.

Don't really know why so many people noticed my hair last week (I was only wearing it in a boring bun), but it sure made me feel great!

Those are great stories. But seriously I'm thinking my boyfriend is right about the shine, people love shiny hair it's like a beacon, and your hair is blinging!

Last edited:
I think I mentioned these in other threads too but anywho...

I bumped into my friends from high school about two weeks ago (one hadn't seen me/my hair in at least 8 months and the other not in at least a year that I can remember, but it could have been 1.5), anyway, the one who I hadn't seen in a longer period can be mean and the jealous type when it comes to other girls.

Her hair has always been at least APL, and it was MBL or BSL when we met, and slowly got shorter since she relaxed and now that she takes care of it herself... it's now maybe 1 or 2 inches from APL, but healthy and even... and she ALWAYS said mean things about me once we became teens because she thought I thought I was cute and pedantic... :rolleyes:... I won't comment...

Anyway the first thing she said to me directly was "Your hair has gotten sooooo long and healthy!!! It looks so long and healthy!" And then our other friend, the honest and nice one, agreed. And it felt gooooood. :grin:

((Also because my sister (not by blood) was there and she is supposed to be the long haired mane-having one. :look:... yes I was having one of those "hate me, I'm flyy" days. :look:))

Ummm and the Dominican stylist who did my hair before I came back to school (I've been in almost everyone's chair in that salon but hers) told me my hair was very pretty as she finished styling it and that it looked very healthy.

Last October, when I went to a high end salon in Boston to get a relaxer and trim and color, the stylist was trying to um... persistently persuade me into all KINDS of stuff because she thought I had jacked hair.

(I came in with an air dried messy bun/pony and had been walking there through the rain... I mean, did they expect me to come to the salon with coiffed hair??? My hair looks bad and that's the point!)

She was very kind but looking at me like... this girl needs to LISTEN to me!!!... and the assistants (particularly the one working on my hair... we were gonna fight... blonde haired blue eyed... she was brushing and beating and SCRATCHING my strands were her strong nails like she was gonna BEAT my hair into straight silkiness... ooooh I'm getting myself riled up.... were raising their eyebrows and what not) anyway I ended up getting ONLY what I asked for and checking that assistant once or twice.

When it was all said and done both the salon's stylists told me I had a BEAUTIFUL head of hair and the stylist working on me was surprised I didn't need as much of a trim as she thought I did (she was trying to talk me into a hearty trim and I was telling her I needed a barely there snipple).

I sure am chatty today... :look:

Before I cut my a couple of inches off, my mom said my hair was really growing. I am stretching my texturizer and my husband looked at my hair and said that he loved how full it looked. That shocked me because it looked bushy to me, but He thought it was really pretty. Go figure. lol

The other day, I showed my grandmother my hair stretched, and she said, "Aw, it so long and thick." Now, my hair isn't even full shoulder-length, and I have been this length plenty of times before. However, I BC'ed for the third time back on '07, and I've come a long way.

It was just so nice to hear it. I love it when people say my hair is thick. I don't always believe it because imo, it could be thicker (I LOVE thick hair)!

Today while I was walking to work from the coffee shop a woman stopped me to tell me I have radiant hair and that just tickle me to no end.

Recently, I was at the gym and was making small talk to one of the workout guys. He told me that it was so nice to see black women appreciate their natural hair. I guess it was a compliment althought I had just relaxed my hair the week before.:ohwell:

Recently, I was at the gym and was making small talk to one of the workout guys. He told me that it was so nice to see black women appreciate their natural hair. I guess it was a compliment althought I had just relaxed my hair the week before.:ohwell:

I had something similar happen to me. This guy was saying how much he liked my natural but I wore a relaxer:ohwell:

Today my mom told me my hair is getting full:grin: That made me feel good.

I had something similar happen to me. This guy was saying how much he liked my natural but I wore a relaxer:ohwell:

Today my mom told me my hair is getting full:grin: That made me feel good.

Good to know the good can cancel out the bad!

I'm trying to get to the point where I am grateful for the good more. I'm actively forcing myself to look for the positive in life because it's so easy to look at the bad.

I get lots of compliments on my hair being thick and shiny. Whenever I just wear my buns, I get scolded for not "showing off" my hair.

Yeah there's more negative,which is why I was trying to see some light in the dark so to speak. Thanks for appreciating my sentiment!

BTW I forgot to add, I think pin straight is valued some places, but not all.

When I lived in Germany (I spent my childhood there as my dad was in the army) , people always told me how beautiful I was, and that my hair was so beautiful (all Germans).

Also I think people are starting to appreciate the diversity that is out there. I do think you're right about the negative being larger, but I think if more of us are sporting healthy versions of hair whether curly or straight, then that helps.

I know my mouth drops in marvel at dreads (in top condition of course!) as well as a gorgeous relaxed head.

I like dreads as well. I'm also happy to see that they were so open to natural textures in Germany. I live closer to the city now, and everywhere I turn around there is a natural. Back where I came from, (small suburban town) there ARE NO NATURALS!! NONE!! I'm glad to see things changing. I am glad I live where I live now. I could never go back to the close minded mentality that exists back home.

The other day, I showed my grandmother my hair stretched, and she said, "Aw, it so long and thick." Now, my hair isn't even full shoulder-length, and I have been this length plenty of times before. However, I BC'ed for the third time back on '07, and I've come a long way.

It was just so nice to hear it. I love it when people say my hair is thick. I don't always believe it because imo, it could be thicker (I LOVE thick hair)!

U ARE VERY GREEDY! Your hair is beautiful and PLENTY THICK!! I wish i had 1/4 of your thickness mama LOL.

I had a day filled with compliments at the doctor's office. I did something very rare before I left home this morning. I didn't put on my usual headwrap. My hair was in a crinkly, fluffy afro and it was HUGE. I was stopped several times by different people saying how my hair was so pretty. The compliments made for a good morning because I hate going to the doctor. :lol:

I'm transitioning and even though everyone thinks I'll give up before I reach my goal they do say that my hair feels very soft. I guess you win some you lose some...

When I was airdrying today, my honey said "your hair looks nice"... I was like "huh?? Do you need to clean your glasses???" :blush:

**he doesn't know about my obsession with LHCF** :giggle:

I had a day filled with compliments at the doctor's office. I did something very rare before I left home this morning. I didn't put on my usual headwrap. My hair was in a crinkly, fluffy afro and it was HUGE. I was stopped several times by different people saying how my hair was so pretty. The compliments made for a good morning because I hate going to the doctor. :lol:
Good to see people appreciating naturals!

My SO is always complimenting my hair. When I asked him how he is always able to find me at church, he said "I just look for that beautiful black hair." Also, everytime my niece's mom sees me, she tells me how much she hates me because of my hair.

My brother's first wife: She told me that my hair has grown so much. It's funny that she says that because when she used to do my hair, I was practically bald.

My SO is always complimenting my hair. When I asked him how he is always able to find me at church, he said "I just look for that beautiful black hair." Also, everytime my niece's mom sees me, she tells me how much she hates me because of my hair.

My brother's first wife: She told me that my hair has grown so much. It's funny that she says that because when she used to do my hair, I was practically bald.

To the SO comment: awwwwwwe!:yep:

To your niece's mom....:nono::lachen::lachen: I guess it's a backhanded compliment?

Brother's first wife: :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::
Glad you stopped using her hair "help"

Last October, when I went to a high end salon in Boston to get a relaxer and trim and color, the stylist was trying to um... persistently persuade me into all KINDS of stuff because she thought I had jacked hair.

(I came in with an air dried messy bun/pony and had been walking there through the rain... I mean, did they expect me to come to the salon with coiffed hair??? My hair looks bad and that's the point!)

She was very kind but looking at me like... this girl needs to LISTEN to me!!!... and the assistants (particularly the one working on my hair... we were gonna fight... blonde haired blue eyed... she was brushing and beating and SCRATCHING my strands were her strong nails like she was gonna BEAT my hair into straight silkiness... ooooh I'm getting myself riled up.... were raising their eyebrows and what not) anyway I ended up getting ONLY what I asked for and checking that assistant once or twice.

When it was all said and done both the salon's stylists told me I had a BEAUTIFUL head of hair and the stylist working on me was surprised I didn't need as much of a trim as she thought I did (she was trying to talk me into a hearty trim and I was telling her I needed a barely there snipple).

I sure am chatty today... :look:
That happened to me when I went in for a mini chop last April. I was 10 months post and I had just stopped getting Dominican blowouts, so it was pretty frizzy up there, and the girl swore up and down she had to straighten my hair first (as in, wash, dry, and flat iron the hair I was about to get cut, and NO, not for free). I went over to the other stylist, who wanted the $10 over the NOTHING she woulda got when I walked out, and when she took my bun down she just kept patting my hair. I must have made a weird face in the mirror cause she said "oh sorry, your hair just isn't as rough as I thought it would be :look: it's really soft!" I had explained I was transitioning and she previously said I would HAVE to cut off all the relaxed part, which I knew wasn't true, but she changed her tone real quick after that. "Yeah, you can cut off a little bit at a time, just come back every 4 weeks." Yeah right lady, but thanks for the compliment.

Oh, another memorable one...my ex's mom asked me why I ever got a relaxer. Then the time I washed out my rollerset and this one YT girl in my religion class got soooo excited, talking about "oh thank God, I missed your curls!" But most people don't say anything, they just ask to touch it, ask what I do to it, and at the most they say "ooh, it's really soft."

Last edited:
also ..I went to the salon to get a trim and get it straightened and the first little piece she straightened she was like WOW...you have beautiful hair:D...she said it twice...

Back