What makes the CHI so special?

FAMUDva

I hear so much about the Chi irons... what makes them so much different than other real ceramic flat irons. Is there really a difference. Is it worth the investment vs. say my Jilbere???!!!???

Is the CHI that great that I must chunk over that kind of cash? Chime in ladies :)

TIA

I wasn't sure how my hair would do with a one setting iron but its great.It only takes one swipe for perfect hair.Also,I'm natural and with my maxiglide and other irons I get reversion no matter what within 2 days.

My hair hasn't been damaged,either.The only thing that concerns me is that folks say they don't have a long life:ohwell:..but as much as I love this thing I'll probally shell out the cash it if breaks.

I'm going to rollerset/flat iron after I get my pibbs so I'll be sure to post pics of the chi results.I'm also thinking about trying a few things from the product line.

I bought a CHI when I first joined the boards, then I exchanged it for a FHI. I stopped using that FHI and bought a Jilbere Porcelain and I LOVE IT!. Although I will admit I'm curious about the Solia or Sedu but I don't know if it will perform better than my beloved Jilbere.

where is the jilbere from and why did you stop using the FHI?

You can purchase Jilbere from Sally's. My FHI is a 1 inch and I wanted a bigger iron b/c my hair had gotten longer but I didn't want to shove out another $130. Jilbere was the rave on the boards for awhile so I tried it b/c I knew I could return it if I didn't like it and I fell in love. The FHI is a really great iron but so is the Jilbere. HTH

My CHI iron has lasted a long time. I had it 6 or 7 years and then gave it to my mother when I bought a T3 tourmaline iron. Big mistake. With the CHI, it just takes one pass and my hair is perfectly straight.

I still use the CHI when I visit my mom and it still works great.

When I do go to the salon he uses a chi iron. Supposedly they "cant" burn your hair and it gave my natural hair white girl get hairapy swing and bounce. Pardon my political incorrectness but it is what it is.

At home I use my cheap annie ceramic iron. It gets the job done but its no way near the chi.:yep:

I had sold my CHI to aunt scared me did not have control temperatures. It straighten the I don't know what out of my hair with one pass. Reminded me of hot straighten comb from back in the day. I have Sedu and FHI.

I had a Jilibere and it worked really well. I recently bought a Solia and it's great. I was talking with a coworker about different irons and everyone was raving about the Chi. I personally think it's overrated for the price.

I had the CHI for a year...hated it...never got great results...eventually gave it to my little sister....and i got a SEDU...now I'm in love:cupidarrow:

I hear so much about the Chi irons... what makes them so much different than other real ceramic flat irons. Is there really a difference. Is it worth the investment vs. say my Jilbere???!!!???

Is the CHI that great that I must chunk over that kind of cash? Chime in ladies :)

TIA

I was also concerned about a one setting heat appliance.
ANd I hated my CHI for my first 3 uses of it. But then I discovered that it must be used with the CHI Silk Infusion for Optimal results.

If you use any other products, your hair will smell. If you use the CHI Silk...No smell and bouncy straight silky hair.

CHi's are great!!!!! My friend flat ironed my hair with hers and I loved it. I bought an FHI, which is just as good. So I would say either of those.

I bought a CHI in december and I've used it twice. Before that I had Jilbere irons. Honestly I don't see any difference in using the Jilbere (when it's brand new) and using the CHI. Maybe I haven't figured out the right combo of silk infusion to use to make my hair look fantastic, but right now I think the results are the same...kind'a disappointing since the CHI costs 3x as much as a $45 Jilbere. I'm going to try the CHI one more time before i give up and put that bad boy on eBay. My new fantasy iron will be the sedu 2008 revolution! You know, when you spend that much on an iron you expect stellar, salon perfect results. So far I haven't achieved that using my CHI.

Oh, FYI, CHI has several irons some of them do have temperature control if that's what's freaking you out. The one I have is the original (no temp control) and Ihave no probs with the heat level.

Last edited:
Oh, FYI, CHI has several irons some of them do have temperature control if that's what's freaking you out. The one I have is the original (no temp control) and Ihave no probs with the heat level.[/QUOTE]

Thats why FAROUK bought the name back and has controlle over the quality of the product, plus you have to watch out for the counterfit CHI's.
I have bought many other ceramic and still go back to the CHI.

I tried the chi and it didn't impress me at all.....I'm still in love with my sedu...nothing that i have used can compare to my beloved sedu:yep:

i dunno what makes it special but its the only flat iron that I can get salon results from at home. I dont have to use any products except for oil sheen when im finished.

I love my Chi. I recently bought one off of Ebay. I t came with the Chi Iron Guard and the silk infusion for 75.00. I always wanted one of these high end flar irons I researched on Folic. com for months and I can honestly say that it is well worth the money. I have over 2 inches of NG and with one pass with this iron and my hair is straight. To me there really is a diff b/n the Chi and my $40 Babyliss iron.

I'm going to rollerset/flat iron after I get my pibbs so I'll be sure to post pics of the chi results.I'm also thinking about trying a few things from the product line.

Thank you for the review! I'm going to start saving my money so by summer I'll be able to buy one :-)

I was also concerned about a one setting heat appliance.
ANd I hated my CHI for my first 3 uses of it. But then I discovered that it must be used with the CHI Silk Infusion for Optimal results.

If you use any other products, your hair will smell. If you use the CHI Silk...No smell and bouncy straight silky hair.

This is good info to know! Thanks!

Does the size of the iron matter in your experience?

I have APL hair and I'm at least 12 weeks post and planning to transition to natural using rollersets and flat ironing.

My Jilbere is probably 1" and I'm not impressed by it at ALL! I have to do multiple passes and it's still not salon quality straight. Maybe I don't know what the heck I'm doing :(

Okay, so now I'll research the Sedu and the Chi. I just hear so much about the Chi irons from naturally kinky/curly girls here and IRL.

I actually love the CHI, my sister has one and it always get my hair silky straight and it's so bouncy...with that said, I dont like that you can't control the temp, it has never burned my hair but it still worries me. So I went to Beauty Brands and found the BioSilk iron which is made by Farouk, the same makers of the CHI and I love it and it has a temp control!! I paid a $100 for it and it is really worth it:grin: So if you want the same results as the CHI, try the BioSilk iron and they make great products to go along with the iron...

If I knew how to post pics, I would show you what makes the CHI so special.

You do get Salon results!!!!!!

I also bought the Sedu-Not as good as the CHI.

I'm going to try the Sedu one more time with my Chi products and see what happens. If not as good, I'm shipping it back to Folica.

I have this Chi:
DSC00628-vi.jpg

I tried to make the pic smaller. But all irons can burn hair. I LOVE my Chi. I believe it's the best out of all of the irons I've used. I can't compare the one you have though because I've never used it. I got the idea to get this one because that's what my stylist used on me and I try to get everything she uses so I can have that fresh from the salon look when I do my own hair.:yep:

If I knew how to post pics, I would show you what makes the CHI so special.

You do get Salon results!!!!!!

I also bought the Sedu-Not as good as the CHI.

I'm going to try the Sedu one more time with my Chi products and see what happens. If not as good, I'm shipping it back to Folica.
ITA You know what, I was hearing such good things about the Sedu, I was tempted to get it too! I had to tame my PJism though, so I talked myself out of it.

Back