What makes a woman stay in a mentally/physically abusive relationship?

I was just wondering what makes a woman stay with a man who has nothing and treats her so bad. Like he verbally abuses her and beats her all the time. What makes them stay? when these women can have whom they please.

If anyone has been through this please share and let us all know why did YOU stay? And when did you realise enough was enough?

Thanks in advance.

I never tolerated abuse. My ex dh and the man that raised my daughter for 9 years tried to slap me but I stopped that mess with a shank and my hand on the nine.
I was an advocate for a domestic violence organization in NYC. From my experience there and from abused women IRL low self esteem and no self worth is a major factor to dealing with a beating loser. Some women don't have the means or support to leave if the man is the provider. Some women simply want a man at any cost or could be repeating a cycle.

I stayed too long because I loved him. I hate to admit that low self-esteem played a part, but I know it did. Everytime I said I was leaving he would beg me to stay, we would go to counseling and things would be good for a few months and then the cycle would continue.

I think mental abuse has a lot to do with it as well, when you have someone constantly bringing you down verbally it wears on you. A part of me felt ashamed and embarrassed, like maybe I brought it on myself, or I was worried what other people would think. I didn't want my family feeling sorry for me, or my father killing him, lol.

Life can literally throw you some crazy punches, but I feel like it's how you get up and live your life that matters. I know what I won't tolerate now, even small signs of disrespect will get you NEXT'ed:grin:.

I never tolerated abuse. My ex dh and the man that raised my daughter for 9 years tried to slap me but I stopped that mess with a shank and my hand on the nine.
I was an advocate for a domestic violence organization in NYC. From my experience there and from abused women IRL low self esteem and no self worth is a major factor to dealing with a beating loser. Some women don't have the means or support to leave if the man is the provider. Some women simply want a man at any cost or could be repeating a cycle.

I agree with all of these reasons.

I'm also gonna add fear. Many women don't leave out of fear of what will happen if they do. A piece of paper tell ole boy to stay away is not an effective deterent and a lof of women know this.

I was just wondering what makes a woman stay with a man who has nothing and treats her so bad. Like he verbally abuses her and beats her all the time. What makes them stay? when these women can have whom they please.

If anyone has been through this please share and let us all know why did YOU stay? And when did you realise enough was enough?

Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm....
I don't really know why :ohwell:
I stay with my man now because I love him deep down even though I think resentment is inevitable...I think I used to stay around because I wanted to inflict the same type of mental abuse on him that way he could feel my pain & worse (because I can be dangerous with words when i'm truly upset)..I realized enough was enough when he tried to raise a hand to me and I beat his a** black and blue until he was scared of me inside and out...:nono:

...Now I stay for my own reasons. I'm trying to find myself out (and whether I still want him to be in my life- which I know will be a process) so i'm taking it one step at a time right now. I don't ever do things prematurely so I like to take my time..... hope that made sense...

ETA: I do not advocate abusive relationships in any way, but, I will say when a woman is ready to leave she will know and know for sure. There will be no question in her mind. Some may criticize her and say, "Why do you tolerate this?" or "Why would you let him hurt you?" but the woman has to decide for herself when she's ready to leave because of the amount of emotional and mental involvement that are involved for most women.... I don't think anyone should ever be too critical of anyone in that position....Everyone takes their own time.

Last edited:
That's what I'm trying to find out with my therapist!:lachen::spinning:
For me I watched my mother live with my verbally and physically abusive father for 30 years. They would break up and then get back together...basically every other week.
And now I find myself in the same cycle with this current guy. He puts me down we break up and get back together over and over. But I don't feel like I can just cut it off! I know it's what I should do...but being there verbally abusive and all feels more comfortable to me right now! It's really sick! :nono:

That's what I'm trying to find out with my therapist!:lachen::spinning:
For me I watched my mother live with my verbally and physically abusive father for 30 years. They would break up and then get back together...basically every other week.
And now I find myself in the same cycle with this current guy. He puts me down we break up and get back together over and over. But I don't feel like I can just cut it off! I know it's what I should do...but being there verbally abusive and all feels more comfortable to me right now! It's really sick! :nono:

Ohhh, my friend, its not sick at all! :yep:
I've noticed no matter how poor someone's behavior is and how badly they treat us if you have emotional attachments to him its almost impossible to break up with someone, every single time....:ohwell: At least thats what i've noticed.

I do believe (I witnessed some rather *interesting* exchanges between my mom and my dad when I was younger) we follow after our parents because they shape our ideas of love even before anyone can recognize it when we're children. From there although we have idealized concepts of love (get married, have kids, have a lasting and loving relationship) i've always felt that subconsciously the things we've witnessed as kids manifest themselves in our own lives because it was accepted then and it shapes us. Once again not condoning abuse, but its hard as kids who are now adults, to change things we've accepted for a long time now. Now of course if theres ever a point where he gives you the absolute creeps and REALLY steps over a boundary and you feel its time to leave, do it!:yep: Never stay if deep, deep down inside you feel fearful or at risk....

I use to work with domestic violence victims,
1) Most people stay because they SO has isolated them from their families and friends, and they have no where to turn to. Imagine being with someone who has control of the money and you have no where to go.
2) Some people think it will get better, because it was "good" in the beginning, and their SO just changed.
3) Other people stay because they have children.

Bottomline is there are many reasons why ppl choose to stay in an abusive relationship, we just have to make sure we dont victim blame as in "why are u letting this happen to you", its not the victims fault they are with an abuser.

I can only speak for myself. I grew up in an environment of constant screaming and was molested by 2 family acquaintances. Years of bad experiences can numb you to other serious problems[you are literally taken out of yourself], so when the first signs show up, you don't even realize it's as bad as it is.

I'm an animal lover and in the heat of an argument while we were driving, my ex ran over a dog crossing the street. Intentionally. I was shaken for a few weeks about it, but it didn't dawn on me until years later, that this kind of psychopathic act was a precursor to eventual violence against a human.

When you're not in touch with yourself, it becomes really surprising how much you'll put up with. From personal experience, United Way is a crock of #%&* (I asked for their help and was given the runaround) BUT I did see a good video they produced -- a woman said that she was married 11 years and her spouse didn't start beating her until the 10th year. I think it can sneak up on you if you're not respecting yourself. The sad part is even when you have the means to leave, your beliefs are what keeps you there.

And yes, I lived in a state that was notorious for restraining orders simply announcing who had killed the woman that requested it. But, I'm living proof that it's never too late to try to get out. Thanks for posting this-the recap helped me sort some things out. I hope it helps someone else too.

I can only speak for myself. I grew up in an environment of constant screaming and was molested by 2 family acquaintances. Years of bad experiences can numb you to other serious problems[you are literally taken out of yourself], so when the first signs show up, you don't even realize it's as bad as it is.

I'm an animal lover and in the heat of an argument while we were driving, my ex ran over a dog crossing the street. Intentionally. I was shaken for a few weeks about it, but it didn't dawn on me until years later, that this kind of psychopathic act was a precursor to eventual violence against a human.

When you're not in touch with yourself, it becomes really surprising how much you'll put up with. From personal experience, United Way is a crock of #%&* (I asked for their help and was given the runaround) BUT I did see a good video they produced -- a woman said that she was married 11 years and her spouse didn't start beating her until the 10th year. I think it can sneak up on you if you're not respecting yourself. The sad part is even when you have the means to leave, your beliefs are what keeps you there.

And yes, I lived in a state that was notorious for restraining orders simply announcing who had killed the woman that requested it. But, I'm living proof that it's never too late to try to get out. Thanks for posting this-the recap helped me sort some things out. I hope it helps someone else too.

This is a very interesting thanks for sharing. I saw in that movie the Valley of Ellah i thinks it's called and in it a woman comes to complain to the police about her man killing the dog and she is ignored. Later she is found dead also killed by the same man.:nono: So i kinda understand what you mean. Sorry about your doggie.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Back