What Kind Of Hair Do I Need?

star78

Hey Ladies... This month makes 1.5 years since my last relaxer. I'm still on my journey to achieve healthier, fuller hair. I love the twistout styles but my hair is still thin and doesn't have enough volume to achieve the look that I want.

I would like to wear weaves as protective styles in the fall and winter. The natural look that I'd like to achieve with no hair left, and the same length and volume is similar to this:
http://blackgirllonghair.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/NaturalHair4.jpg

What brand of hair would be a close match to help me achieve the desired look with low maintenance?

@star78, what is low maintenance to you?

The image you posted shows a twist-out, which is more waves than curls...so are you thinking of doing twist-outs to get the look? Because if that's the case then kinky straight human hair may give you that look. But you would need to twist to get the pattern. Twist then wet it and let it dry in twists. Or twist while wet and then undo when dry. You'd have to get a short length too so it looks like that.

If you want hair that looks curly but clumping curly, then this synthetic hair comes close. Only thing I've found is you have to be very careful with loose synthetic hair as it can matt and turn into "steelwool" without warning. Like be careful not to brush it, say.

This zigzag human hair has small coils and they are clumped like the twist-out. But this is what the hair will look like:

zzcmodel.jpg

Are you a type 4? Halle's Curls natural is a great match. I used it and it's more a 4a than 4b, but it blended with my 4b hair perfectly.

Hi Nonie. By low maintenance, I guess I mean not having to twist the hair myself... more of a "get up and go" kind of thing where I just need to apply a product or whatever for shine, etc. I'm not into getting weaves but I really want to achieve the twistout look while giving my hair a rest. The human hair may be best but I'm afraid that I won't be able to achieve the wavy/curly look that I'm going for. The zigzag hair looks nice but I don't think it will work for me.

Are you a type 4? Halle's Curls natural is a great match. I used it and it's more a 4a than 4b, but it blended with my 4b hair perfectly.

Yes, I think my hair is 4B. I don't want too much volume (the volume in the pic is enough for me) b/c my hair is thin and I want the weave to look as natural as possible. I also want a small side part that is "barely there" if that makes any sense. Would I need a closure? I am going to find pics online of the Halle's Curls.

star78 (BTW using @immediate before someone's name is helpful in letting the person know you addressed them. Like if you'd written Nonie instead of just writing my name, Id' get an alert just like you did when I mentioned you by typing @)

I have never used product on extension hair and my hair lasts for years. I don't think you need to use a leave in. I believe the conditioning you do when you wash it is enough for it.

The synthetic water wave seems to be closest to looking like a twist out as the hair is clumped as it would be in a twist-out.
a-14-4d.jpg

And you would just probably have to go to bed with a net (hair piled up on top of your head) and then in the AM just let it loose and be good to go. Also because it's not expensive, if it gets tangled, you won't be losing hundreds of dollars. But I think it can last if you handle it like silk. Do not comb or brush it. Just use fingers to organize the clumps without messing them up.

Nonie, thanks for the tip. :) Is there a specific name brand of synthetic hair I need to get at the bss? Also, is it close in texture to 4b hair? I don't know much about weave hair. I had a few tracks put in over a year ago for the first time and hated it because I bought hair that was too dark (I'm a #4 in synthetic hair for braids and bought jet black human hair) and the texture was way off.

Also, I don't want to leave any hair out at all so would I need a closure? If you look at the pic before she has a very thin side part.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...dsp=53&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:0,i:155&tx=55&ty=106

I can't wait for the day when I can achieve that look with my own hair.

@Nonie, thanks for the tip. :) Is there a specific name brand of synthetic hair I need to get at the bss? Also, is it close in texture to 4b hair? I don't know much about weave hair. I had a few tracks put in over a year ago for the first time and hated it because I bought hair that was too dark (I'm a #4 in synthetic hair for braids and bought jet black human hair) and the texture was way off.

Also, I don't want to leave any hair out at all so would I need a closure? If you look at the pic before she has a very thin side part.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...dsp=53&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:0,i:155&tx=55&ty=106

I can't wait for the day when I can achieve that look with my own hair.

star78, I don't know much about synthetic hair. If you'll be shopping at a BSS, then you will be in a better position to match the hair you get to your own...and also know if it looks natural.

I'm not sure what your point is in the bold. That's the model's own hair, I believe so achieving a part is not hard to do. Did you think that's a weave?

#1 is always very dark. I always get 1B and have mixed it with 2 in the past. Never use 1...and #4 would be too red for my hair.

Nonie, yes, I know it's her hair. When people get a weave, I see that a lot of them leave out the perimeter and such. I want a full-sewin with no hair left out at all so I'm assuming that means I will have to get a closure if I want any kind of side part. Thanks for your replies. They have been helpful.

Back