What is pH?

Kiadodie

Hey guys. This is probably a dumb question but what is pH and how does it affect your hair. I got this protein conditioner that says pH 4.0–4.5. What does that mean??? Is it the higher the pH the better or worse for your hair? I've heard of pH regarding deodorants but not hair products /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Shamboosie's book has a good explanation of pH in hair color chapter. pH tells you the acid and alkaline level of a substance. I don't know exactly what pH *is*, but hair products are supposedly best if the pH is between 4.5 and 6. The higher the number, the more harsh the product. For example, water has a pH of 7, relaxers have a pH of 12 or more and white vinegar has a pH of 2 or 3. I always wondered how I'm supposed to find out the product's pH before I buy it. Sneak some test strips into the store? /images/graemlins/grin.gif I already get treated like I'm on America's Most Wanted Shoplifter's list because I read labels. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks sassygirl125 /images/graemlins/wink.gif I was just reading up on it on the internet. I did a search. It says that hair should be between pH level 4.5-5.5. But the thing is... all products don't have the pH level on it, do they? I guess we're supposed to balance the pH level of our hair to keep it healthy. Gosh, there's so many things that go into having healthy hair /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hi Kia -

I don't know if you ever found a definition of pH. What is pH?

<font color="red">pH stands for "Potential of Hydrogen," and is the abbreviated term used to measure the alkalinity or acidity of a solution.</font color> A pH of 7 is neutral. Higher than 7 means the solution is alkaline and lower than 7 denotes acidity. So Sassygirl was correct - most relaxers do have a pH of 12 or higher /images/graemlins/shocked.gif (very alkaline), water has a pH of 7 (neutral), and white vinegar has a pH of 3.0 (highly acidic). The books I have read emphasize rinsing relaxers out thoroughly with water to help bring the pH of the hair and scalp back down (prior to using a neutralizer).

For Those Who Take Supplements:
When the body's acid/alkaline balance is off, nutrients from food may not be absorbed properly. This is especially true of minerals, which are important for many body functions including enzyme production and cellular metabolism. <font color="red">Even if you are swallowing a whole handful of supplements, your body can't make optimal use of them if the pH balance is not right </font color> .

Most Americans do not eat the USDA recommended 5 (minimum) to 9 (optimal) servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Those 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables will do more than balance your pH. Research has shown that the phytonutrients and antioxidants found in brightly colored fruits and vegetables will protect you against cancer and a host of other degenerative diseases. It will also keep your skin younger looking and your vitality high. Best of all, fruits and vegetables tend to be lower in calories than grains and meats which is a real bonus for those trying to lose weight or keep from gaining.

Phew! That's it.
Hope that answers the question. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nyambura

ps - some products do cite the pH level: Aubrey, Elasta QP, and I think Elucence.

Very informative. I remember reading in Cathy Howse book indicating that a good shampoo that's pH balanced for our hair would state for Damaged/Dry/Chemically Processed hair.

I have a few products that list the pH such as my professional prescription leave in conditioner. The pH is 3.8

Thank you for that info Nyambura, very informative. I knew about the importance of keeping hair pH balanced but I never thought about the affects of acid/alkalinity on my body.

Back