What is different about this moment in time that sparked the natural trend?

I think that this has been going on for quite some time now, but now its documented on the internet and more people have access to the information. I know its not just an American thing because I'm from the Dom Republic and people have been rollersetting and not relaxing for a few years now.

I've been on this HHJ since 2006 and the amount of information available NOW compared to 5 years ago is like night and day. I definitely would not have been able to successfully transition if it weren't for websites.

ETA: I see more and more natural women on TV commercials, magazines, billboards and I think this has changed the idea of beauty as well.

Last edited:

[B]Slightly OT[/B]: In general, I guess I just wish that we (black women) would be more patient with people who are honest about struggling with accepting their hair. ... I think people are reluctant to share their struggles for fear of being judged.[/QUOTE]

Amen. If only we shared struggles as eagerly as we share techniques...

[B]Back OT.[/B] Short answer: it's the Internet coming along at a particular time, after years of relaxers being the default.

Long answer: when I first went natural, I'm guessing it was 60-40 relaxed-pressed hair where I lived. Relaxers tended to be a choice of more well-off folks. Most ladies I knew still pressed with the hot comb or had it done at the "beauty parlor." Stylists and everybody else was familiar with hair as it grew from the head. "Natural" meant left curly/coily/wooly/wiry.

Over the years from 1970 to, say, the 1990s relaxers became the norm. Girls were younger and younger at the time of their first relaxer. Weaves and extensions, once mainly seen on entertainers, became an everyday person's thing. People didn't know how their unprocessed hair looked or behaved. Stylists didn't know how to deal with it.

Along comes the Internet with forums and YouTubes of all kinds of natural hair, which at this point is a total mystery to a lot of ladies. People post all kinds of rants and craziness, so it seems like this is some hot new thing people are worked up about.

It's funny to me that "natural" has come to mean "not chemically relaxed," when that used to be the norm and relaxers were the trend.

I went natural the first time because of how healthy the hair of naturals looked on this website and others. My intention was always to wear staight or braided styles never an afro. This time around it's pretty much the same. My hair thrives when natural even with the use of heat. Nothing cultural or political about my decision.

I think that the internet has definitely helped. Many black women are learning to care for their own hair types and educating themselves.

Thanks to those ladies who are giving their perspectives as people who were actually around during the 70s and on. :yep:

Growing up in the 90s and early 00s, the naturals that I remember were mostly TWAd, dreadlocked or extension braided/cornrowed; there were a good number of loose/longer haired naturals but that subset has exploded in the last 5-10 years. I think Brooklyn was on the leading edge of natural hair movement with salons like Khamit Kinks. I remember seeing beautiful heads of natural hair (including my mom's and aunt's) back in the day but the variety of styles and # of DIYers has definitely increased in recent years. My neighborhood is like a natural mecca.

Interesting perspective. This is certainly a possibility, but why do you think that more and more advertisements/television commercials are featuring AAs with natural hair?
Good question.

It seems like to me you hardly ever see black women on tv with relaxed hair. Like, outside of the "regular" black actresses (Gabrielle Union, Halle Berry, etc) random bit player actresses or black women in commercials usually seem to have natural hair. The only bit player I can think of that has relaxed hair is the dark skinned younger actress who played on ABC Family's 10 Things I Hate About You (she was also in a couple episodes of Veronica Mars and was on the cast of Heroes for awhile).

I think in make up/hair product commercials, the black actress will usually have curly hair. The exception, ironically, being specifically "black" hair care products.
:yep:

I don't think it is a trend, either. Some women simply got tired of perming their hair and find natural styles cute. Some women have suffered a lot of damage from chemicals and weaves and believe wearing their hair natural is less damaging as well as easier maintanence, and cute. Although I am somewhat relaxed, patronizing dominican salons, has allowed me to relax my hair a lot less frequently - maybe twice a year.

Last edited:
Well, according to what I've heard a number of women say in Miami, they went natural because they realized that relaxers (along with horrible hair practices) were destroying their hair. Many have gone natural because they say "the perm will eat their hair up." One woman in particular went into a salon providing this so-called chemical treatment that would make her hair grow, and all of her fell out, so she just chopped off the rest and went natural.

I have yet to hear a woman in my area say that they went natural because they were aware of the historical/social issues involving relaxers. The prevailing reason seems to be that they're fed up with the damaging effects of having a relaxer. :ohwell:

I was just talking about this topic in another thread. I agree that the internet is the major differentiator.

Also the visual nature of Fotkis and YouTube cannot be underestimated.

Not sure how to phrase this but...the internet has also enabled more of balance between the individual and the community. The present natural community is more participatory, dynamic and engaging than the afro movement and even the smaller natural movement of the 90s.

I also think that a lot of the thought leaders and taste makers in the current movement are women who went natural in college for practical reasons and might also have a certain level of social consciousness. Their social consciousness wasn't forged in the racial acrimony of the 60s and 70s, so the current movement is less militant and more diverse.

This natural movement has also coincided with the natural health and nutrition movement, which at a very basic level means that a lot of the products that work best for our hair are available at large chain stores that have become increasingly popular - Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Vitamin Shoppe.

I genuinely believe (and hope) that this isn't a trend but instead a the beginning of a shift to a world where natural is the default and relaxed is a secondary option.

I agree with the bolded, i've noticed in the UK many women that go natural are trying to have a 'healthier' more organic lifestyle.
My friends and family members in Angola that chose to revert to natural hair, to them the real fad was relaxed hair they are also more interested in a more practical healthier lifestyle.
I didnt really think much about becoming natural, after BC i stayed natural because it was in line with my 'healthier' lifestyle.

I personally think it happened as a backlash to the the super straight and long styles that were in across ethnic groups during the early decade. We sisters tried to keep up and then we just had enough!

I'm not really sure as most of the people I personally know (including myself) started growing out their relaxers a little before the so called natural trend hit; and the reason was basically just had some type of setback from chemicals and wanted healthier hair. For me, I knew in the back of my mind I'd go natural "one day" but didn't have the guts/confidence to do it.

If I had to guess tho, I'd say the internet has played a big part. If I were not on hair forums and such I may not have made the jump to being natural-I have family members who are natural but they are old school naturals who use only grease and a pick. So, as someone upthread mentioned the only styles I knew of were afros, low cut fades and braids/cornrows, neither of which I am too fond of on myself. Also, their hair still remained short (unless they were dreded) and I wanted some length. But after being on the forums I saw so many other style options and also seeing that my hair type (type 4) can actually have long loose natural hair.

Also, it definitely depends on where you are, the overwhelming majority of bw in smaller cities and certain geographic areas are still relaxed. QUOTE]
the internet gives the illusion that the trend is bigger than it really is.[/

Interesting perspective. This is certainly a possibility, but why do you think that more and more advertisements/television commercials are featuring AAs with natural hair?

Idk, I would assume advertisers just got smart and wanted to appeal to a wider range of people to sell more product. I still rarely see natural hair in these campaigns that looks like my hair (mostly 4b).

I went natural the first time because of how healthy the hair of naturals looked on this website and others. My intention was always to wear staight or braided styles never an afro. This time around it's pretty much the same. My hair thrives when natural even with the use of heat. Nothing cultural or political about my decision.

This is the same with majority of people I know (including myself). They just wanted healthy hair. It wasn't a "movement".

ITA about the internet. I never knew there was something called "going natural" until I came to this site. The possibility never even crossed my mind. I relaxed because I thought you were supposed to. It was not even a concept I got from my mom. She kept my hair pressed or braided up. I snuck a relaxer in one summer when I went to visit my grandma. From that day forward my mom did not put her hand in my hair again. I was responsible for it.

Around here, DMV, I see naturals on a daily. Matter of fact I counted 5 naturals in the grocery store last week and that didn't include me. Also I would say at work that it is highly skewed toward naturals.

ITA about the internet. I never knew there was something called "going natural" until I came to this site. The possibility never even crossed my mind. I relaxed because I thought you were supposed to. It was not even a concept I got from my mom. She kept my hair pressed or braided up. I snuck a relaxer in one summer when I went to visit my grandma. From that day forward my mom did not put her hand in my hair again. I was responsible for it.

Around here, DMV, I see naturals on a daily. Matter of fact I counted 5 naturals in the grocery store last week and that didn't include me. Also I would say at work that it is highly skewed toward naturals.

I keep hearing this about DMV. I might be moving there soon, cool to know its a lot of naturals there. I'm in the deep south now, pretty much everyone is relaxed. u see a natural here and there but its rare.

I'm gonna say its access to the internet. We (people intrested in hair) can more easily interact with each other because of it. More people have access and there are so many ways to use it to share info.

This goes for other trends too, I'm a home gardener and that scene is blowing up too

I think being natural can be a trend for some people just like anything, but for some it's their way of life. I think the Internet has played a major role, This is like my 4th time growing my perm out, I used to do a pretty good job at taking care of my hair, but I really have learned a lot from this hair board and Youtube. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay natural yet, but I've been thinking more and more lately that if I know how to care for my hair in it's natural state, why do I need a perm.

Oh I forgot to mention why I went natural:

I was tired of the relaxer process. I dreaded it. Then I still didn't like my hair once relaxed.

I am working on a greener more healthy way of living so of course that includes no chemicals and natural products for my hair.

For me personally it is also about being authentic or as Ray J would say "keeping it one hunnert" :lachen:. Which to me links to the thought of not conforming and being true to myself and doing me all day,everyday. I also don't care what others think about what I am doing with my hair.

The difference is

1. Weaves and wigs (biggest factor IMO - they help people transition and take a break from natural hair if they want to)
2. The recession
3. The Internet
4. Fashion
5. Organics/emphasis on natural living

I think because society is becoming more liberal. Being a working female isn't a "problem" anymore, nor is being black, being divorced, gay, etc. I think greater acceptance of natural hair is just another one of those things in society where we are realizing there is no "one size fits all" of how things/people will be.

Defo the internet for me, seeing all these women with natual hair made me think wow!! and seeing long hair I thought the only way to have long hair was to be natural. I now no thats not the only way and have gone back to relaxed. but the internet has really opened our eyes to the options and endless possibilities with our hair

Honestly, I don't see the trend at all. On the forums it seems like a lot of women are going natural, but is that the case in real life, or is it just the internet world? Okay, granted, one of my friends IRL did go natural after me, but she attributes it to me and all my talking about it. We went to a natural hair party and the majority of women there were already natural, and the women that weren't still aren't. My other friend cut her hair down low, swore she wouldn't relax, but once that ish hit her neck, what did she do?

I can't speak about the rest of the world but I've often thought that the women going natural recently (in the US) do it because the economy isn't that great and they can't afford a retouch like they used to be able to and they're too scared to do it themselves.

That's what I heard. I don't see the trend irl but I see a lot of naturals on tv.

I don't see a natural trend in my area. 95% + of the women I see are relaxed, wearing a weave or wearing a wig.
There are 2 naturals in my office and they went natural after I did.
There were 2 or 3 before I went natural but they have moved to different offices.
I think it seems like more of a trend because of the internet but it really isn't.

I also think some of it is a fad.

I think maybe the wigs, weaves, etc. may be the reason I don't see a lot of naturals. One lady who wears a lace front at my job revealed to me she's growing locks and I've been wearing wearing wigs 24/7 so people don't get to see my natural hair either.

I think maybe the wigs, weaves, etc. may be the reason I don't see a lot of naturals. One lady who wears a lace front at my job revealed to me she's growing locks and I've been wearing wearing wigs 24/7 so people don't get to see my natural hair either.

Yeah a lot of people never knew I was going natural because i'm wigged and weaved up most of the time.

I'm currently on a natural journey due to all of the valuable information available online. It started with me just wanting long hair. I relaxed every 8 weeks which to me was a stretch. Learning more about hair health and protective styles. A month ago I questioned my need for a relaxer even to texlax. And for about 5 days I couldn't come up with a reason. I was able to manage my new growth for 6 months with no increased amount of work or stress. For me it was a progression in my way of thinking and caring for my hair that led me to become natural. I like textured styles, curls, kinks and even frizz . The internet has shown me there are several people that feel the same. Becoming natural isn't so much a statement but a way to wear your hair the way you want. Once you get over societies brainwashing you realize it's just hair and beautiful when it's taken care of.

Back