What hair type am i???

prettypuff1

:p So i thought i was 4a because i normally have very tightly curled hair with a little curl pattern. but now i am noticing a spirial pattern in most of my hair. It is like a spiral curl.. small but with clear spiral pattern? What hair type is it? It looks like a straw set done with little straws but some parts look like there are bigger straws, but then the edges are still 4a.. I am soo confused. I went natural before and all of my hair was 4a. But after this transition/ relaxer stretch, it has changed on me... does that happen? Help.. i am so lost right now

yeah i am relaxedish..... its not super straight. i have four inches of new growth about and i am 6 months post relaxer

Ok, you probably have enough new growth to determine your texture but keep in mind your relaxed ends will prevent you from really being able to see how your hair curls. It's possible that you have a mixture of all the hair types you described.

Also, bear in mind that 4a hair still has a distinct curl/spiral pattern. The difference between 3c and 4a is in the size of the curl. 4a curls are generally about the size of coffee stirrers while 3c curls are a bit bigger. Additionally, 4a hair has more of a sheen than the shine that is characteristic of healthy 3-type hair.

Last edited:
Thanks.. I don't think too much about hair type, I just focus on making the most of what I have. If I had to type my own, I'd say it's 4a with 3c around the perimeter. My hair is coiliest in the crown which is the 4a part.

i may try to transition again but i am not sure yet.. it would be a good time to start because i am 6 months post

Yeah.. I would never judge anyone for their decision to relax but relaxed hair is, by definition, weaker hair because of the bonds that are permanently broken. Of course, there is such a thing as unhealthful natural hair. You have to take steps to care for the hair either way.

Whichever you decide, good luck and happy hair growing.

yeah i was natural this time last year. i transitioned with out even really knowing what i was doing. i just kept on getting Micro braids( the devil as far as my hair is concerned) and then the relaxed parts just started breaking off so i cut them. micros got to be to expensive so i started wearing it natural... but still it broke becase i couldnt care for it.. now that i know how to care for it, i may try again

I never understood the popularity of micros.. they seemed damaging to me. I always got box braids, sometimes I even got them tiny to mimic micros and they were a devil to take out but my hair was fine afterwards.

i see them and then i get weak. then i remember the damage they caused then i get bitter... I liked that they looked so smooth and were soo small and shiny oh i loved them but hated them

Back