What hair texture (type) do most black males have...?

as many as we have:look:

I know they have many types just like we do, but most black women I know have type 4, maybe type 3 hair I think. (I say that based on my knowledge of what type 4 and 3 hair looks like....although I'm not great at the whole hair typing thing.)

Anyways, would it be fair to say most of them seem to have type 4 hair?

They are definitely mostly in the 4's, thats why you have sum senseless women wanting to procreate with the 'no good man' for his supposedly 'good hair'

Z what's this all about? There's more to it?

Well, honestly, I had this thought in my head today:

I've had two guy friends (they're both black males) say that they (I'm paraphrasing it here) supposedly don't have a problem with women being natural, BUT....they do have a problem with women who's natural hair is "dry". They both mentioned their disdain for natural hair that is/looks 'dry'. I specifically remember how one of them gave me the craziest look when I was about 3 years natural and wore my hair in an afropuff; I believe he had made the comment about my hair looking dry back then (and trust me, it wasn't). But I do notice my hair looks dry-er in certain styles than others.

Basically, I feel like certain hair types aren't going to look all moist and shiny even if it is properly moisturized. Honestly, I've come close to saying to them 'your hair isn't exactly looking all sheeny & shiny itself...you do realize that your hair is basically just like mine, right?? :look:'...but I have this habit of sparing people's feelings. :look:

My son has type 3 hair. My dad has type 4 hair. In the 70's, he had every hairstyle from a James Brown press n' curl to a fro. It's hard to tell with a lot of men because they brush their hair to death, use wave caps, get their hair cut every week, and some even use texturizers and "blow-out kits" aka perms :spinning:. There don't seem to be many black men practicing low manipulation :look::lol:.

I have never understood the whole 'black men don't like natural hair' thing because they have the same hair :ohwell:.

I have never understood the whole 'black men don't like natural hair' thing because they have the same hair :ohwell:.

Me either. I only remember ONE telling me "Girl, you need to go get a perm." My response, like ZZirving's, was, ":ninja: you have the same type of hair growing out of your head so I guess we both need one" :lachen:

but they brush it, perm it, wave it and cut it down to hide their texture :look:

But that still does not give them the right to show disdain to women who wear their texture proudly. :nono: I have yet to understand this.

Me either. I only remember ONE telling me "Girl, you need to go get a perm." My response, like ZZirving's, was, ":ninja: you have the same type of hair growing out of your head so I guess we both need one" :lachen:

But that still does not give them the right to show disdain to women who wear their texture proudly. :nono: I have yet to understand this.
:yep::yep::yep: i totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that even though they have the same hair, most try very hard to hide/"fix" it.:nono: nobody call s them on it, though

I don't fully understand this question. :look:

EDIT: Re-read some posts. I agree they have the same hair textures as us, anywhere from 3a to 4b. My dad's hair is 4b but ALWAYS looks "moisturized" and "healthy" because he gets regular cuts to maintain and puts baby oil in it lol. :lol: I remember seeing my grandfather with some 3b wiry haired mess... dry, course, wiry (I said that lol) - it just wasn't all that great. I saw a picture of him when he was young and his hair looked better. Honestly, I don't understand why males have these great expectations for women but they can't hold up to them for themselves. You want moisturized, soft hair? Moisturize yours and make it touchably soft.

Last edited:
Obviously their own texture has no bearing on what they would like a woman to look like, so it's irrelevant.
Some men find natural hair "manly". No one ever said it had to make sense, some men are just fuggin crazy. And most are just as brainwashed as everyone else who thinks the key to femininity is long, straight hair.

:yep::yep::yep: i totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that even though they have the same hair, most try very hard to hide/"fix" it.:nono: nobody call s them on it, though
Kurlee,

I know girl! I was not trying bash you! :lol: I guess my anger at this mindset kinda came out through my writing. :lol:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL i knew there was more to this post

Its funny hearing about the texturizer i mean i knew men got them but i didnt know how serious it was!

my male friend told me recently him and the other guys back in the school days would spend HOURS trying to get waves

when they progressed to the texturizer they would have a meet up at a friends house and get their hurr did :lachen:

I also learned that when a popular guy in school went bald it wasnt because he was trying out a new look it was from him using a out of date texturizer:lachen::lachen:

Last edited:
When my DH had hair :giggle: it was 3 something. He had the deep waves. I think that's where my daughter gets her hair from. :yep:

Obviously their own texture has no bearing on what they would like a woman to look like, so it's irrelevant.
Some men find natural hair "manly". No one ever said it had to make sense, some men are just fuggin crazy. And most are just as brainwashed as everyone else who thinks the key to femininity is long, straight hair.

^And there you have it :lol:

zzirvingj

dry looking is code words for nappy looking, bad hair, masculine, and unkempt.:look: when they look our natural hair its like looking in the mirror at something they hate about themselves.:nono: all that gel, texturizer, pomade,gel and other ish they put in their hair that they keep cut close and brush 10,000 times and smoosh with a doo-rag.:rolleyes:

@zzirvingj

dry looking is code words for nappy looking, bad hair, masculine, and unkempt.:look: when they look our natural hair its like looking in the mirror at something they hate about themselves.:nono: all that gel, texturizer, pomade,gel and other ish they put in their hair that they keep cut close and brush 10,000 times and smoosh with a doo-rag.:rolleyes:

Never thought about it like that but it makes sooo much more sense.

Well, honestly, I had this thought in my head today:

I've had two guy friends (they're both black males) say that they (I'm paraphrasing it here) supposedly don't have a problem with women being natural, BUT....they do have a problem with women who's natural hair is "dry". They both mentioned their disdain for natural hair that is/looks 'dry'. I specifically remember how one of them gave me the craziest look when I was about 3 years natural and wore my hair in an afropuff; I believe he had made the comment about my hair looking dry back then (and trust me, it wasn't). But I do notice my hair looks dry-er in certain styles than others.

Basically, I feel like certain hair types aren't going to look all moist and shiny even if it is properly moisturized. Honestly, I've come close to saying to them 'your hair isn't exactly looking all sheeny & shiny itself...you do realize that your hair is basically just like mine, right?? :look:'...but I have this habit of sparing people's feelings. :look:

That shiny thing gets on my nerves. An aunt of mine grudgingly told me that I had nice hair, but I needed to put something on it to make it shine. Shine, is another quality in hair that we got the desire for from advertizing. Nothing in a bottle can give hair health, that comes from taking care of it and yourself over time.

But, advertisers link the notion of shine with health and beauty, eventually everybody's chasing shiny hair. :perplexed Shine is something you can buy in a bottle and huge corporations will be happy to sell it to you regardless of what it really does to the hair. Grrr, sorry about the rant, but that shiny hair requirement really gets me heated.:deadhorse:

That shiny thing gets on my nerves. An aunt of mine grudgingly told me that I had nice hair, but I needed to put something on it to make it shine. Shine, is another quality in hair that we got the desire for from advertizing. Nothing in a bottle can give hair health, that comes from taking care of it and yourself over time.

But, advertisers link the notion of shine with health and beauty, eventually everybody's chasing shiny hair. :perplexed Shine is something you can buy in a bottle and huge corporations will be happy to sell it to you regardless of what it really does to the hair. Grrr, sorry about the rant, but that shiny hair requirement really gets me heated.:deadhorse:

All hair shines if it's clean and in good condition. To me "shine" is code word for straight and flows in slow motion like in shampoo commercials. (since we're discussing codes in this thread :) ).

I always did say in the future evolutionary scientists would come up with a weird theory about why AA females had a straight texture and AA males had curly, kinky texture. Apparently that future came a lot faster than I thought it would.

All hair shines if it's clean and in good condition.
Disagree. Some hair "sheens" (and sometimes that's with the aid of oil that reflects light). You can have healthy hair without shine. Shine is not a natural product of many afro hair types. We put in extra stuff to make our already healthy hair shine to look like, well you know.

Thanks. I feel the same way

Back