... mixed hair typed/textured ladies

Oh yes! The front and crown is 3C, back is 4A, nape might be 3A (generally somewhat wavy with little curl).

--When wearing my hair in a fro, I have trouble with the front part because it falls pretty loosely in spirals even after its picked, so I usually have to cover it with a headband and push most of it back.

--The front hair won't coil to save its life so comb coils are no option for me, though I love them.

--The back of my hair is finer and more prone to breakage and SSK's, so I usually have to be extra delicate there when detangling and styling.

--The back shrinks up more than the front and always looks much shorter, so WnG's are a no no.

--The sides seem to be pretty sparse (low density) and just very frizzy with no curl pattern. It also breaks off the MOST because its just fine and wispy. Hate it.

@TaraDyan your hair looks waaaaaaay more full than it use to

what are u doing?

Why thank you! It's all about henna and protein treatments. I just go to my local Indian grocery store and pick up the henna they have there (can't remember the brand) and mix that with hot green tea. Now I'll admit that I used to hate henna because it made my hair sooooo dry. BUT that was my fault because I was using lemon for the color release. Bad idea for my hair, so I stopped that mess. Instead, I started adding oils to the mix (olive, castor, coconut, etc.) after the dye has released from the hot tea, and that has made all the difference for me.

For my protein treatments, I rotate between:
  • Nexxus Emergencee
  • Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin
  • Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor
  • Aubrey Organics GPB
The henna I do about once every 2-3 months. The protein treatments I do every week or so. These treatments plump up my strands and make them appear thicker than they really are, thus giving me the illusion of fuller hair. I like illlusions. :look:

Of course, I always do a moisturizing deep condition with heat after each treatment. :grin:

Ugh, my hair has a few different types going on and it drives me crazy.

~4a (super dry) edges and crown. Very frizzy and feels like hay. These areas do not take direction well, they just do what they want.

~Looser 4a on the right, makes beautiful coils/curls. It's shiny and the waves will make you seasick.

~Lazy 3c on the left - just wants to barely curl and it hangs a little more than the right side. It's not as shiny as the right side and it's not as thick either, but it grows faster than the right side and it straightens easier.

~3b/3c nape. Much looser curls, shinier and seems more resilient than the other areas. It tries to give me that mullet look, but I trim it to keep it in check.

Last edited:
I'm a 4a/b.. mostly 4a in the front and the 4b is in the back of my head and I can tell a difference the two different textures behave. I get more split ends on the 4b and it seems to grow slower than the 4a hair.

@nikolite i notice most everyone having the majority of troubles with the FINEST PART OF THEIR HAIR... and my hair is extremely fine

i wonder if this henna will help this over time

nik do you henna? or anything?
I henna, but I don't really concentrate on that part. I do it more for color, but I'll try it next time. I think I'm due for a treatment next week.

I'm wondering about Nexxus Emergencee. I used to use it religiously, but for some reason I started with the Aphogee 2 min and never looked back. How can I incorporate both into my reggie? Any ideas? Btw, I'm a fine, medium density 4a/b, if that matters.

@nikolite i notice most everyone having the majority of troubles with the FINEST PART OF THEIR HAIR... and my hair is extremely fine

i wonder if this henna will help this over time

nik do you henna? or anything?

I do use henna (Reshma) and I love it. Been using it every 8 weeks since last summer, and it helps tremendously. I see less breakage and my strands are definitely thicker/heavier, and stiffer if that makes sense. Still doesn't make my hair act the same though, because its still curlier/fuzzier in the back, but the henna is keeping the back from breaking so much. Interestingly, it doesn't really make the top that much thicker, which is where I don't really need it (maybe my thicker strands don't soak up the henna as much as my fine strands do).

I also use protein biweekly.

I have mixed hair.

My 3c/4a curls are all the same except a 3 in. wide patch in the front that goes to the midpoint of my head (crown)--that part is not as tightly curled.

Unless I cut that section of my hair shorter, my wash n gos look off. Even though the length of my hair is the same all around, that section always looks longer and throws the whole look off. That's why I wear mostly twistouts, because everything blends evenly.

So far im beginning to get a mullet. The top middle and very back are all 4a basically and a loose one at that and the sides and mid center are 4a4b they have very very tiny coils and tend to get dry. The mid center is the worst the strands are thick and very dry and even though the coils are a tad bigger than the side 4b its just so hard to straighten so. I do tend to do different things for each area when it comes to moisture and styling I've learned if i dont i get breakage,ssk, and all.

^^^^^ i just washed and still the same... that same area fighting me like hell

i just cut ever knot out..... i wonder what type that area is, dunno
it's hell and a different type than the rest for sure

I have the most trouble with the hair on the sides from front to back. (The path you would cut if you wanted a mohawk.)

Those areas on the sides have the tighted curls ever, so I get more breakage, tangles, and knots there. The moisture requirements are the same for all the hair.

The sides are a very, verrryyy tightly coiled 4B, down the middle some is 4A, and the rest I don't know how to describe it. The crown has no curl or wave pattern. Weird. I know. I used to wonder how such radically different textures could exist on the same head.

When I used to go to the hair dresser to get my hair twisted she would keep asking me if I relaxed my hair, beacuse certain portions of hair could not hold the twists well because of the lack of curl pattern. :perplexed

I always thought that was a crazy question. Why would I keep relaxing only certain parts and leave the rest? :ohwell: I had been going to her for years. She loved cutting my hair. :sad: Always saying something about split ends and uneven hair. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back