What Exactly do you do to your Hair after Shampooing

vtoodler

Ladies, reveal your post-shampoo routine. Talk about what products you use after shampooing, how you style your hair, and how long it usually takes. The more details, the better.

Last edited:
well after i shampoo i apply a conditioner and leave it on depending on what particular dc or reg co treatment i am doing that day then airdry and throw my wig on and go.since i am shaved bald at the moment to go natural my hair dries in 0.00000 seconds! oh i use a little coconut oil to massage my scalp before applying my lace front and spray my regentress follicle stimulator on or either the dht blocker serum.

Last edited:
After shampooing, I:

1. Towel dry
  2. Put on plastic cap
  3. Then section by section I apply my deep conditioning mixture--1 cup KeraCare Humecto, 1 tbsp EVOO, 1 tbsp JBCO, 1 tbsp honey
  4. Sit under dryer w/ heat for 30 mins--hair is shaped like a ponytail and pinned to front of head
  5. Rinse very well
  6. Add Roux Porosity Control as a final rinse, 1 minute max
  7. Continue with leave-ins and styling--Chi Keratin Mist, KeraCare Leave-in, distilled water spray as needed

Last edited:
1. I immediately apply a warmed mixture of Coconut Oil and EVOO for my Oil Rinse and then apply a cap. I 'stew' for about 30 minutes
2. Wash out with my cheapie VO5 Moisture Milks Conditioner
4. Apply Alter Ego Conditioner - absolutely love (either using steaming method or just a cap for about a half an hour)
4. Rinse, apply my leave- in Giovanni Direct & my 'mix' of peppermint oil, Lavender Oil, jojoba oil, JBCO, Aloe Vera Juice and style

Last edited:
After I shampoo, normally at night, I rub oil(mixture coconut oil,jojoba,sweet almond,avocado,olive,amla and vitamin e oil) into my hair and scalp then massage about a min without rinsing, i follow with my deep conditioner. rub it into my hair then use a plastic cap to cover. i wear a terry head band over the edges of the cap to prevent leaking then i cover with a silk bonnet. i wash off in the morning..apply my leave in and seal with a sealant...

After I shampoo, I rinse it out, apply the conditioner for the duration of my shower, then I rinse that out, towel dry, detangle, section off into three sections, apply Soft and Beautiful Thermal Straigthening Lotion and blowdry. Then before I fully blow dry I apply carrot cream and then finish blow drying and then after I have blow dry all over I then comb out, start from the back and work my way up, I flat iron and use oil sheen(Pantene Pro-v or whatever I have) and if I'm not going anywhere I wrap my hair.

After shampoo:
1. Towel blot to dry
2. Apply Keracare humecto (I'm almost out!)
3. DC w/ heat 20-30 min
4. Rinse, add NTM leave-in or GVP the conditioner leave-in, a little almond oil, GVP Silk infusion, wrap.
5. Tie a scarf and dry on low under my DISCONTINUED soft hooded dryer.
6. Flat iron.

(Next week I'm gonna try and eliminate flat-ironing and roller set instead)

After washing my hair;
1. I slightly dry it then add AO HSR and sit under the steamer for 40mins to an hour
2. Once the steaming treatment is complete, I rinse well with cold water then do a final ACV rinse (75ml of ACV to 1 litre of spring water).
3. Lastly, I slightly dry my hair and add Oyin Honey-Hemp Conditioner as a leave-in then seal with Black Jamaican castor and Avocado oil.

I'm Relaxed.

After shampooing, immediately apply a DC -- Hairveda's SitriNillah or SheScenit's Banana Brulee. (I always deep-condition after shampooing).
Put conditioning cap on and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. And depending on how quickly I need to do my hair, may keep the cap on for 1, 2, 3 hours or longer.
Rinse hair.
Use either of these products -- Hairveda's pH 24/7 Balancing Rinse-Restore & Condition or ACV rinse or Roux Porosity Control Corrector Conditioner.
Rinse hair.
Apply a quarter-size of a leave in conditioner -- Shescentit's Coco Creme leave-in or Afroveda's coconut moisture milk or Nu Milk. Comb through-out my hair.
Use either of these products for a roller set -- Afroveda's PUR whipped jelly or Lottabody setting lotion or Qhemetbiologics's Honeybush Tea Soft Gel.
Sit under the dryer for 30 minutes and afterwards air dry the rest of the way.

Note: If I'm doing a protein treatment, I apply this immediately following a shampoo and DC afterwards.

After I wash I towel dry and apply a DC and my choice of castor oil or tea tree oil. I put on a cap let it sit for an hour. Rinse well and apply leave-in (NTM Silk touch) and Chi Silk Infusion. I let it air dry overnight. I'm currently wearing braid outs so once my hair has dried most of the way I will braid hair and let it air dry the rest of the way.

1. Towel dry
2. Apply deep conditioner (moisturizer or protein) in sections (I use either ORS Hair Mayo, Silicon Mix, Olive Oil Silk Elements, Nacidit, Wheat Germ, Strinillah(Hairveda), IC Fantasia Deep conditioner)
3. Cover head with plastic cap and get under hooded hair dryer for about 15-30 min depending on condition of hair.
4. Rinse
5. Apply a detangling conditioner or use a Rinse with either moisture or protein to keep balance such as V05 Moisture Milks, Suave Coconut Conditioner, Joico Kpak, Herbal Essence LTR, Aussie Moist, Nacidit.
6. Rinse
7. Apply a little leave-in (Herbal Essence LTR leave-in for Ends, lacio-lacio, Salerm 21,
V05 Moisture Milks) and towel dry.
8. Detangle and spray a little olive oil silk elements thermal spray and/or apply Chi serum before blow drying.

If doing a wash n go, after towel drying in #7, I use Hawaiian Silky 14n1 and Miss Jessies Baby Buttercream and sit under the hooded dryer in the Fall/Winter.

after shampoo i follow directly with a cheapie condish to help detangle OR i do the Aphogee Keratin 2 min reconstructor, rinse in shower and then towel dry. then i do my DC under dryer with plastic cap for 25-30 min. Then i rinse, blot dry, then comb out and apply coconut oil and sabino MB.

Last edited:
It depends on when I shampoo. If shampooing is step #1, the rest of my wash day is as follows:

2. Apply Aphogee 2-min & sit under heating cap for 15 mins.

3. Rinse & apply KBB deep condish

4. Rinse & do an ACV rinse

5. Squeeze excess water from my hair w/ my fingers

6. Section hair & apply dime-sized amount of either Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream or Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion to each section

7. Seal w/ KBB hair oil & twist

If I apply AO GPB to dry hair, I shampoo w/ Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo while the AO GPB is in my hair. Then I follow steps four to seven.

I have Between shoulder length and APL relaxed hair:
1. shampoo with VO5 or CON if I have build-up
2. deep condition for 30 min in plastic cap +/- hot towel on head for steam treatment
3. detangle in shower under running water with condish in (only time I comb completely through my relaxed hair) and rinse with cold water to finish
4. Blot with towel as I get out of shower (not rub but just pat towel on head then put on shoulder to catch water)
5. apply liquid leave-in like mane and tail detangler and separate with fingers to distribute
6. apply creamy leave-in like HH long term relationship (tiny less than dime size amount)
7. apply an oil mix to hair ends only
8. my key step for air drying! Apply dime size JCS nourish and shine by rubbing in hands until liquid then pat my hands over top of hair and then massage into entire length of hair
9. Wrap silk scarf around edges like a bandana/headband and let air dry loose. (wash and go!)
10. Follow with flexirods or crosswrap at night depending on if I want it straight or curly the next day.

My hair is soft and bouncy after this and look as if I blow dried it. I think the combination of products helps prevent drying of the hair during air drying. I never flat iron unless I have a special event. This process gets it straight enough for me since my hair is relaxed bone straight and the less manipulation the better. I don't comb it again until next wash day 4-7 days later, just rearrange and detangle with fingers as needed.

I'm new to board but hope to figure out how to post pics soon! HTH

Last edited:
I squeeze out the water from my hair. and then i apply my DC, sit under the dryer for 25 mins, get back in the shower and let the DC stay in for another 10 mins and rinse. I squeeze out the water again, clip my wet hair up and 5 mins later i take it down, apply my leave in and detangle with my shower comb.

^Welcome :)

What do you use as a deep conditioner btw?

Thanks for the welcome!

I do a mixture of honey, peppermint oil, EVCO or EVOO, and whatever conditioner I have around to mix all of this in at the time alternating protein based like Mane and Tail or something moisturizing like HH, Pantene, VO5. I am a PJ so I have a lot of so-so conditioners who need help to whip them into shape. :whip:

After shampooing I
towel dry
apply dc as if I was applying a relaxer with my hands. ( I rotate dc every 8wks ors rep con, motions cpr reconstructor, moroccan oil hydrating hair mask abba pure strengthing con/ gonna be trying affirm 5 in 1, nairobi humecta sil. Put on plastic cap and dc with heat for 25 mins.
rinse
paper towel blot lightly
use motions nourish for light detangling, paul mitchell color locking spray, fantasia IC moisturizing leave in, nairobi foam wrap, and moroccan oil
Roller set with purple rollers adding extra sprits of water as needed
Get under my pibbs for an hour on a warm setting
After my set is dry my hair is nicely moisturized
I add one pump of shu uemura essence absolue oil(thanx Coffee!) then wrap my hair and either get back under my dryer for ten mins or just put on my scarf.

Last edited:
0. dc with aubrey organics cond. whichever I feel then poo as directions say
1. shampoo with cv bars or try out my roux til I find a poo I love
2. rinse out curl junkie h&b moisturizing conditioner
3. shake or shirt dry
4. spray in greg juice & detangle with a wide tooth comb by cricket or goody
5. add a scalp pomade or oil *combating hard water*
6. use mhc type 3 or 4 cream
7. twists braid or leave be
8. add scarf
9. look at the clock and it's 2 hours later
10. go to bed

Last edited:
After shampooing, I
  1. 1. Apply Deep conditioner to entire head
  2. 2. Cover with a plastic cap
  3. 3. Sit under hooded dryer for 30 minutes
  4. 4. Let hair cool completely and rinse out conditioner
  5. 5. Apply cheapie condish for slip. I use either VO5 Moisture Milk or Tresseme Moisture Rich. If I want my hair to smell really good, I use VS So Sexy Condish for dry/damaged hair. If my hair's ph is off, I use Roux Porosity Control.
  6. 6. Rinse out conditioner with strikingly cold water and apply NTM Silk Touch Leave In and Chi Silk Infusion to the ends. Detangle with seamless detangling rake.
  7. 7. Rollerset hair using Mohawk method. I use my seamless rattail comb to straighten. I spray magnetic rollers with cold water before rolling hair on them.
  8. 8. Back under the hooded dryer for an hour
  9. 9. Let hair cool and now I either wrap hair around head, cover with Saran wrap, sit under dryer for 15 minutes(silk wrap) or pin hair up and go to bed.

it takese about 3 hours from shampoo to finished product.

After shampooing, I assess my hair's condition. If I experienced breaking during shampooing or if my hair just feels a bit weak (dunno how to properly explain it; I'm kinda in tune with my hair), I use Aphogee's 2 Minute Reconstructer for 5 minutes, rinse, then condition. If my hair feels fine, I jump right into conditioning.
To condition, I apply a mix of Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Mask (I skip the Neutrogena when I don't feel like I'm lacking heavily in the moisture department) conditioners. I cover with extra virgin olive oil, and leave the mix in for however long I see fit (usually a few hours; I don't count). I rinse, none too thoroughly, then proceed to styling.
Depending on how I style, I add my moisturizers, oils and heat protectants. If I'm pressing my hair, a light mist of heat protectant (Elasta QP's) and EVOO is all I apply. If I'm not pressing, I apply Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream (when I'm feeling moisture parched) or QB Burdock Root Butter Cream. I always follow with EVOO (its my fave!). I then either braid, flattwist, two strand twist and set on rollers, or two strand twist and bantu knot. On occasion, when I want a bigger look, I'll blowdry and plait my hair in two big braids for big, bouncy waves. This is rare, though.

I apply either a rinse out conditioner and wash my body or a DC and let it sit for a hour. Then I rinse and apply my leave in and oil and style my hair.

Back