What does it mean when a guy calls you doll?

lady_godiva

My cousin and I have a disagreement. She called last night to tell me that she had run into a friend of hers that she had not seen for almost a year. She has always had a crush on him, but gave up because nothing ever happened. They got to spend a little time with each other. He was very attentive and they had a good time.

When she gets home, he sends her an e-mail stating that he was glad to see her, and then went on to talk about something else not related to a relationship. She texts him back and says that she was happy to see him too for him not to wait so long before they be in contact with each other again. He writes back and calls her doll and says that they will definitely be in touch.

I think that he is finally interested in her. She thinks that he is just being nice. What do you think?

I guess it just depends on who is using it and their intent. For some, using little terms of endearment don't actually mean anything. Some men call women, "honey" and "sweetie" all day, every day not necessarily because they are interested in them but because they just say that to women as a generic term of endearment. Now, he may or may not be interested in her but his use of the word doll probably shouldn't be read into too much.

I use the term doll myself sometimes. "Thanks doll" or "You're such a doll".

Last edited:
That expression is simply too ambiguous to interpret into anything.

As MizAvalon said some people men & women just use these little affectionate terms to refer to any and everybody even people they have just met.

I've seen this in personal life and business life where the use of these expressions to someone can be interpreted as snarky and degrading.

If I were your Cousin I would wait until something more solid happens before I allow myself to get my feelings elevated behind a man calling me "doll". If he really likes her he'll let her know unless he's really young or maybe just likes to play around.

ITA ^^

A male co-worker always uses such terms. "Thanks Dear" "See you later darling" etc.

Some guys use those little endearments to give the impression that they care in some way. In reality they can't be bothered to remember the names of all they women they holler at and don't want to make a mistake and say the wrong name!:ohwell:

^^^ I was thinking about that too but didn't want to go there, especially when someone is hoping a man may like them as more than a friend cause he called them doll.

I don't think it means he likes her in that way. Saying you're a doll just means you're sweet or cool. Now if he called her baby or babe then maybe I'd think differently.

I don't think it necessarily means anything. It could, but then again, it couldn't.

I had a dude call me "sweetheart" all the time and he said he only called his ex-wife (back in the day) and nieces that (which meant it was supposed to mean that I was special). Yet ole boy couldn't be bothered to call me when he said he would and would go for months without seeing me when he would clearly say that he'd see or talk to me soon.

But I'm his "sweetheart." Okay. :rolleyes:

OP, I don't think you can really determine whether he's interested in your cousin or not just based on one word. Wait until he displays some action before anyone makes that determination.

Back