What do you watch/read/listen to whie doing your hair?

What do you do when doing a time-consuming hairstyle?

• Watch Television.Movies

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Web surf/watch online videos

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Read

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Listen to music

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other (Explain please)

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Saga

The Generous Queen
So I'm putting my hair away in box braids today, and as I'm doing it I'm watching this cute anime called ToraDora. Whilst taking a break to go make something to eat, I realized something...

Whenever I have to do something time consuming with my hair (extension braids, twists, roller set, etc) I always watch anime. It made me wonder what you ladies use to keep yourselves entertained while doing the mundane tasks of braiding and twisting?

I like to watch a lot of sports. So if there are sports on: tennis, basketball, Olympics :yay:, almost anything then I will watch that. If no sports, I will go for a movie. If no movie then I start hunting through On Demand to find something to occupy me.

I turn up the Cable news while I do most things, cook, clean, put things away, hair and make up.

If I am sitting under the dryer then I will watch a foreign film. I just read and watch.

When im twisting my hair, i watch about 2 movies (it seems to go faster, then keep stopping to find whats on TV), or being online.

I like to watch things that I've seen before that don't require me to pay too much attention to understand what's going on. I tried watching an Asian horror movie while twisting my hair and that was an epic fail lol. I didn't know who was who and missed so many darn subtitles- so I look for things like The Office, Parks and Recreation, Awkward Black Girl, Got 2 Be Real etc. If I'm blow drying my hair I like to listen to music rather than watching TV. Blow drying is one of my least favorite things to do so I like to listen to something that's upbeat and gets me shimmying in my seat...Usher's Yeah, Beyonce's Get me Bodied, Single Ladies...stuff like that. I also find myself listening to oldies but goodies like The Temptations (pretty much anything of theirs), Sly and The Family Stone - Everyday People and Don't Call me ****** Whitey :look:, and anything by Patti or Aretha.

Last edited:
It depends on my mood.

-Sometimes I will watch Youtube videos

-Sometimes I will watch a movie

-Sometimes I will watch a "TV at Home" DVD ("Martin", "Girlfriends", etc.)

I do a combination of all of those things; at times, for my "break," I'll update LHCF challenge threads with what I've just done. :lol: Other times I'll do a load of laundry, make a bean soup, or do an exercise dvd while deep conditioning (before or after steaming).

Recently when i do twist i have been watching stand up comedy.
(before that was anime also)
When blowdrying (its been months) I watch youtube videos so i know what to do with my hair later.

I usually watch my shows I DVR, like mentioned things I don't have pay attention to cause I seen it a million times: Martin, Living Single, Cosby Show, Different World, a few others.

Haylllll I'm watching Martin right now with tears in my eyes. This show is so funny!

Usually Disney channel or nick Jr. Lol I have a 12 month old so yeah that's what mommy watches unless I'm doing it in the shower! (My hair)

I usually watch my shows I DVR, like mentioned things I don't have pay attention to cause I seen it a million times: Martin, Living Single, Cosby Show, Different World, a few others.

Haylllll I'm watching Martin right now with tears in my eyes. This show is so funny!

I know! It always takes me longer to twist my hair when I watch "Martin" because I spend so much time laughing.

I usually come on LHCF or watch YouTube videos with the volume turned up if no one is home or with earphones if they are.

I'll watch whatever's on TV, or watch anime online. I usually do my hair while the boys are asleep, because twins are a pain in the booty butt and they love getting into Mommy's hair and hair products. :grin:

1. LHCF on my phone
2. Listen to music
3. Watch Family Guy
4. Text
5. Read my InStyle or Oprah Magazine

Lately I've been watching law and order SVU while I do my hair. They usually have marathons on the weekend. If that's not on I will watch whatever is on comedy central.

1. Black shows (Living Single, Boondocks, etc.)
2. Movies
3. Reality shows (Mary Mary, Braxtons, Tia & Tamera)

I normally surf the web while listening to music, but today I wanna change it up and read instead.

When I'm relaxing my hair I have the radio on.

I used to have the tv on sometimes but I realised that I couldn't resist sneaking a peek at the screen every now and then and that was making me go slower when time is of the essence!

The thing that takes me the longest is deep conditioning so I'm normally hunched over my laptop with a plastic bag on my head sitting looking at hair forums. Gawd I need a life.

When I'm putting my hair in braids overnight I'm normally watching Family Guy or American Dad.

Last edited:
I don't do anything. I'm facing a mirror the majority of the time whenever I straighten or two-strand twist my hair.

Im usually talking myself thru the steps or rereading the product labels. If I am watching TV its cause im doing my minis but thats only once in a while

Back