What do you use to secure your ponytail or bun?

melodee

I have been trying for years to find a hair tie/fastener that will give me the hold of a rubber band,but is safe for the hair. I see alot of you have really nice buns and your hair is pulled tight. I can get mine to look that way. The hair fstener slips and my hair has a loose puffball look to it. What do you use to secure your ponytails and buns?

Re: What go you use to secure your ponytail or bun?

I cut up panyhose stockings, usually the material near the top is the thickest/tigthest. I never loose any hair when I take it down.

Most of the time, I don't use anything but Good Hair Day Pins. If I am doing a fancier bun, I'll use these bands I got months ago that claimed not to cause any breakage (I don't know what they are now, because the package is long gone). They do ok, but occasionally, I still see some of my hair in them. I'd reccomend the bands that I got from the Atlanta Meeting, though. DSD gave them to everyone...Scunci No-Damage bads. They are wonderful. No hair comes out at all :up:. They are thicker than the ones I had before, though, so I use them when I want a more casual, but still secured bun. HTH.

1. one Good hair days pin (for a bun with no ponytail holder...doesn't really work for me because I don't have thick hair)

OR

2. open bobby pins (for a donut bun that's wrapped over a synthetic hair scrunchie like dreemssold & Wolftrap)

OR

3. a scrunchie (for a bun with just twisted around hair)

Last edited:

I usually use Good Hair Day pins and gently tie it with a silk ribbon (as in my avatar) or place a scrunchie over it.

I do have my eye on these hair gloves though...
http://www.hairglove.com/

Last edited:

I use a small terry-covered pony holder and about 8 regular straight bobby pins. I plan to put EVOO on all of this the next time I bun.

I use Ouchless elastics (made by Goody) :)

Scunci Hair Hosiery. The best I've ever used. I will never be without them. I buy them in 3s and 4s...

They come about 15 or so to a pack.

They work just like cutting up stockings into rings (which is another good idea. I just could never get that to work for me. They were too loose.) but they secure the hair better.

I find these to very VERY safe.

Tracy said:
Scunci Hair Hosiery. The best I've ever used. I will never be without them.

I use these too but I take them all out of the pack, put them in a plastic container and pour olive oil over them. I do the same thing for my good hair day pins. I never have broken hairs in either since I started doing this. I don't even get that dent in my hair that you usually get from wearing a ponytail or bun.

I do the same for my daughter.

HTH

Tracy said:
Scunci Hair Hosiery. The best I've ever used. I will never be without them. I buy them in 3s and 4s...

They work just like cutting up stockings into rings (which is another good idea. I just could never get that to work for me. They were too loose.) but they secure the hair better.

I purchased some of these by Conair (found them at Wal-Mart). I really like them. I need to start hunting around for more because I only found one pack of three (large size). I like these much much better than the ouchless elastics.

I've never seen these hosiery things :ohwell: , but I'm now officially on the hunt! The pantyhose thing never worked for me either b/c it was always too loose. I'm still using the Goody Hair Comb (yes, I know it's bad :spank: , but it's an occassional thing :look: ).

I use regular ole Scunci ponytail holders and bobby pins. My hair is a bit wild so I have to secure it with two cloth type ponytail holders then secure some of the curls with pins. I have been wearing my hair natural (not drying and flatironing) so it's not as easy to tame.

ETA they are made by Scunci and not Goody. I bought them at Wegmans but they sell them at Giant, Walgreens and some CVS stores.

Last edited:

Thanks y'all.

Scunci Hair hoisery, I've seen those I think. Never paid them any mind, but now I will. I have tried the cut up panyhose rings and they are so gentle, but alas, too loose. I never have a frim hold. I'll have to give the ouchless elastics a try. My daughter needs some new bands anyway.

Here they are!!! I don't think I've ever seen them before. Where are you ladies buying Hair Hosiery?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soft and Light
Hair Hosiery
No Damage® Elastics
new.gif
spacer.gif
Features and Benefits:
bullet.gif
Soft and light hair band technology for a gentle all day hold
bullet.gif
Made of the same light and loose material as in hosiery
bullet.gif
Will not dent your hair!
bullet.gif
No metal parts
bullet.gif
12 per pack
bullet.gif
Patented product
bullet.gif
Styles 17008, 17345, 17650

25_l.jpg

Tracy said:

I've never seen these before but I'm sure going to look until I find them!:)

either a cut up stocking (the top part on leggings is the best) or old school scrunchies (not the big big thick ones though). Olive oil soaked bands work too, but i lost some hair because I tied it too tight.

How many loops are y'all making with the Scunci Hair Hosiery??? I find that looping it once can sometimes be too tight and if I just putting it on without looping, it's way too loose.

And the Good Hair Days Pin doesn't work for me because my hair isn't thick enough.

What should I use as a ponytail holder??? :confused:

Back