What do you define as a 'setback'?

CodeRed

Backstory: I was in the hospital for 4 days and I wasn't really worried about my hair. Since I was in the bed most of the time on my back, the back of my head was rubbing against the rough pillowcases they have. The second to last day before I left I noticed my hair was coming out more than it used to, and when I got home I looked at the back of my head and the very my nape (altogether about the size of 2 quarters) had broken off almost completely (it used to be the same length as the rest of my hair now all of the relaxed part came off of the new growth). The thing about it is, no one else notices it but me because my hair doesn't really look any different even when it's up, if that makes any sense. That area is still thick, but I was literally shedding/breaking about 100 hairs a day while in the hospital and I'm used to losing maybe 25 - 50 a day and that's only on a regular wash day.

I explain all this to say that I don't consider this a setback, but I know some on this forum consider any kind of hair breakage/shedding a setback, then some who never have them so... I'm not sure if I had a one or if I'm just being lackadaisical about it lol. It would be good to know what a 'setback' is.

idk about everyone but i consider these things a setback:

major noticable breakage
see through ends
having to BC to start over
a bad relaxer/scalp burn

For me its constant and noticeable splitends/breakage. Its gotten better now that I have got into a habit of frequent checks on ends rather than waiting months/years for the sake of keeping length.

Anything that seriously interrupts my normal pattern of healthy hair growth.

This.:yep:

Okay here's mine:lol:

Any sudden noticeable change or disruption in your hair's growth or hair's health which can manifest by inhibiting growth and/or showing signs of damage.

I had to cut 4 inches of hair due to split ends that traveled up my hair shaft. leaving me with 1/2inch of hair. It looked so bad. I was sweeping the floor and I noticed this hair was split..i thought it was two hairs. it wasn't it was split in two and then it looked like one of the split strands was splitting again. it was my fault for being lazy not doing the LOC or LCO (works better for me) and not following my vitamin ritual.

I've had several different setbacks: heat, chemicals, hair tools, scissors, me...ugh. I'd define a setback as a change in my hair that causes a delay in reaching my hair goals or otherwise compromises the health of my hair.

You may be one of those people who can grow through a setback. I'm not. I'm a serial big chopper. I would chop at the slightest damage to my hair. I've finally learned that a setback does not necessarily mean that you have to start over. If others can't see the damage to your hair, and you aren't particularly upset by it, keep growing!

I consider a setback an event that causes your hair to seriously go backwards in progress. Also, if you have to add new steps to or begin a new regimen to recover from damage, then it's a setback.

I think the most telltale sign of a setback is having to cut inches of hair and/or going from one length marker back up to another. Like going from APL to SL, or MBL to BSL.

I consider a setback when the entirety or my hair is disrupted, not just a section. Where I have to go through major hoops, product junkying and chopping to salvage the healthier hair at the roots to avoid a BC... even tho a BC may be necessary.

A section, particularly the nape which you can hide and baby, is not a full on setback IMO.

Anything that seriously interrupts my normal pattern of healthy hair growth.

^^^ This!!! Anything that changes the: texture, length, look or feel of my hair in a negative way that affects my progress; anything that prevents my hair from growing, or causes it to fall out/splits (ends and mid shaft), see-through ends etc is what I class as a setback

I hope you're feeling better now. Is it possible that your health could have contributed to your hair breakage (besides the pillowcase)? For me, my hair thrived a lot better when I wasn't plagued with fatigue like I am now. I agree with a previous posters that this is a minor setback.

Last edited:
I consider a setback an event that causes your hair to seriously go backwards in progress. Also, if you have to add new steps to or begin a new regimen to recover from damage, then it's a setback.

I think the most telltale sign of a setback is having to cut inches of hair and/or going from one length marker back up to another. Like going from APL to SL, or MBL to BSL.

This is my definition as well. Anytime my breakage is so bad that it can only be corrected with a major cut.

I hope you're feeling better now. Is it possible that your health could have contributed to your hair breakage (besides the pillowcase)? For me, my hair thrived a lot better when I wasn't plagued with fatigue like I am now. I agree with a previous posters that this is a minor setback.

hot_pepper96

Thanks for the well wishes :) I think it was just the pillowcase because I was laying on the back/off to the right side since my injury was on the left side and those are the only two areas (nape and right back nape) that broke off. The back left side was fine. After I got home on my satin pillowcase, no more lost hair.

I do feel like this is a minor setback, nothing I should really have to worry about. I don't have to cut or anything :yep:

Anytime I have to cut over a inch. Im only BSL, so at this stage in the game every inch matters. If I was waist length I'd probably trim often to keep a nice blunt U, but at this stage dusting is really all I'm willing to do and a 1/2 inch is the most I'm willing to part with.

If you have any of these prolonged conditions, for more than 3 months, its a SETBACK!

SSKs
Breakage in the middle, back bangs or sides
BALD EDGES=seeing one's scalp from a mile away
SPLIT ENDS=snip snip (progress lost)
Consistently Dry Hair= breakage
Hair Fever=breakage
Protein Moisture Imbalance=breakage
SHS=no length retention
HIHS=SETBACK implement some form of protective styling (sometimes our hair likes to be left ALONE)
Bone straight relaxers=Hair sticking to your scalp

All these take time to mend the damage caused through whatever neglect the hair suffered.
How many of us really do have healthy hair at least 6 months out of the year. I know i don't. Need to up my hair game ASAP

If you have any of these prolonged conditions, for more than 3 months, its a SETBACK!

SSKs
Breakage in the middle, back bangs or sides
BALD EDGES=seeing one's scalp from a mile away
SPLIT ENDS=snip snip (progress lost)
Consistently Dry Hair= breakage
Hair Fever=breakage
Protein Moisture Imbalance=breakage
SHS=no length retention
HIHS=SETBACK implement some form of protective styling (sometimes our hair likes to be left ALONE)
Bone straight relaxers=Hair sticking to your scalp

All these take time to mend the damage caused through whatever neglect the hair suffered.
How many of us really do have healthy hair at least 6 months out of the year. I know i don't. Need to up my hair game ASAP

SUNSHINE BABY what is the bolded?

Just had to cut 4 inches back to SL. Heat damage. It is healthier now and I hope I'll be back to APL by the end of this year.

Back