What do u want from a salon?

Retouch only without overlapping. Otherwise I just don't trust them. :nono: I do understand they get paid per customer and I respect that. I'll just have to give my hair that individual attention it needs.

Last edited:
I want to be warmly greeted as soon as I come in, directed where I can put my things & asked if I'd like something to drink. I want to be put into the chair with the stylist ready to work on me within 5 minutes of me sitting down. I want to be the only person my stylist has for that time and not to be interrupted by her taking phone calls and talking to walk-ins. I want my hair to be evaluated by a professional that notices that I may have new breakage in a certain area and offer suggestions on how to avoid more in the future.

Oh, and I have that with my Aveda stylist! She's fantastic!

I want someone who's going to be honest. I used to go to a stylist frequently, then I stopped for a while. Once I came back several months later, she put her hands in my hair and said, "This is NOT your hair! Oh, no. We definitely can't give you a relaxer until we fix the damage." Now, THAT'S what you need in a stylist--someone who isn't just trying to take your money, but someone who wants you to have healthy hair.

I only go to the salon for trimming so I only care about one thing: my hair getting trimmed evenly, and only having the half inch taken off (a real half inch, not the stylists idea of a half inch). That's it. I don't care if they're talking to each other in a different language, I don't care if they have to stop to take the phone or talk to walk-in customers, I don't even care if they're complaining about my hair. I don't care about excessive politeness or whatever. Just do what I ask, do it well, and I'm happy.

It's kind of ridiculous to expect people to not have a conversation at work in their own language. They aren't robots! Humans need to communicate. I once went into a Korean salon. It was early in the day, and I was the only customer. The two ladies spent the whole time chatting to each other in Korean, and I couldn't care less what they were talking about. Maybe they were talking about me, it doesn't matter as long as I get what I want. Although at one point, the lady who wasn't doing my hair came over, said something quietly to the stylist and smiled. The stylist nodded and said to me "My friend says you have a very clean scalp and wants to know what you use at home" They were talking about me, but it wasn't something I'd get upset over.

- Be knowledgeable.
- Undivided attention (dont rip a comb through my head because your in a hurry to get to the next person)
- get off the phone
- do what i asked and dont argue with me and if you cant do it. let me know

Hmm as a stylist and client I will write both as I've seen:

1) be punctual
2) don't just put chemicals in a clients hair when it is obviously damaged
3) don't skip chemical steps because you want to keep the client
4) give a consultation to your client in privacy when there is a concern and upon their first visit.

5) don't use broken equipment in the clients hair
6) make sure the equipment is sanitary
7) Don't try to make me feel like I need to get a relaxer because your impatient to deal with my hair.

8) Don't tell me jack if your hair looks like crap
9) don't turn me away from the mirror, it makes me think your sneaky
10) DON'T TALK ON THE PHONE WHILE DOING MY HAIR
11) take a lunch break so your stomach isn't talking french in my ear, and your grumpy
12) Learn more about conditioners so you can refer me the proper conditioner for my hair
13) lighten up, for the holidays give me a free conditioner or something, let your clients know your glad to have them and your willing to go that extra mile

14) Don't be late getting to my hair, If it is 9am no later than 9:05 you should be doing my hair

15) no loud music

16) no loud talking

17) be professional at all times

18) VIP service for every one

19) List your prices, I hate different prices, same style, same person week to week

20) keep the place clean!

21) No pan handlers or boot leggers please

22) Stop wetting clients heads down just to keep them from walking out when they are sitting for 2 hours!

Last edited:
Not to be kept waiting, to be listened to and consulted with on every step. Products, Aveda (No.1), some Redken, some Nexxus.

ETA: if you offer colouring service, please don't try to charge extra for blowdrying, (I just got that at a salon here I was like :huh: so was I to walk out of the salon with a wet head?)

Last edited:
Back