What did u do right before LHCF?

Duff

After lurking for sooooo long, I decided to go ahead and pay my dues. Hey, I’m learning, so I should contribute too! I’ve already learned soo much from you all. Thank you!!

I know we have many threads about what we did wrong or what did not work on our hair. I want to acknowledge what we did right. What did you do before LHCF that you later discovered after LHCF was right and good for your hair?

Me, I was the deep conditioning queen and I use to sleep with conditioner and/or DC under the dryer all the time. Also I use to put vit e oil on my edges and ends during the deep condition & mix some into the conditioner. I’ve always hated gel and oil sprays; and my plain ol bun was my regular hairstyle.

I did a lot wrong...but I guess there were a few things I did right:

-I wrapped my hair at night with silk and satin scarves
-I wore protective styles
-I deep conditioned (with Proclaim Cholesterol)

that's all i can think of for now...

I was just looking at your album the other day your hair has grown so much!! You keep me inspired :)

I cowashed, a LOT. Mainly because I didn't really like how shampoo made my hair feel, and I liked how the conditioner made my hair feel, instead.

:look: That's about it. :lol:

Hi ak46, love your hair!

I was inadvertently wearing my hair in a "protective style." I just called it "trying-to-avoid-another-relaxer" or for short braids and kinky twists. And once I was all natural I continued because I thought my only other option was a relaxer because I didn't know what to do with this curly bush.

I slept in a satin scarf at night. I detangled while wet (but without conditioner...so glad I found out to do it with conditioner, way easier.) Using heat protectant when straightening my hair. Thats about all I can think of.

I feel like i cant even go here with myself because the things that i was trying to do right...i did it all wrong....and i was offsetting it by horrible horrible haircare. :nono: And alot of stuff that i did do right, it was because i didnt even have a clue about it, or just didnt like it :ohwell: Was just plain clue-less.

But the sad thing is, i've always been obbsessed with growing/having long hair and not wanting to damage my hair and see broken hairs. :nono:

*Alot of times i layed off heat (blowdrying) for airdrying
*didnt use direct heat (didnt know how, didnt know what it was :nono:)
* I moisturized and oiled (:rolleyes:) Alot of times Pink lotion...but sometimes profective, motions and ORS !!!!
*Wrapped my hair at night in a silk scarf or bandanna
*Tryed not to brush hard or at all
*hot oil treatments
*Trimmed
*Used a shampoo :ohwell:
*Didnt bother my hair (except for putting in a ponytail or something in the morning)

This is hard, I don't think I did ANYTHING right!..................... Oh wait, I airdried a lot. But that's just because I didn't have a blowdryer. and after my hair dried, I used my flatiron on the absolute highest setting and went over each section multiple times :ohwell: I also used Let's Jam instead of brown gel to slick my hair back and I wore a bandana at night. That's about it :perplexed ......

Last edited:
nice thread idea OP and welcome :grin:

I always made sure my hair was protected at night, I was the grandma sleep bonnet queen :lachen: And I did shampoo every week.

before long hair care forumn.. I went and got my hair done every week and I did not curl it or flat iron it during the week I just left it alone and my stylist was good she was just loved to cut my hair and that is why I was never seeing any progress and she would always say lets do something different and then the cut

• i stretched my relaxer touch-ups, AT LEAST 8 weeks, usually more like 12
  • i did use eggs and mayo on my hair (not frequently, but i still get some points right? :lol: )
  • i didn't only use "black" hair care products (not that they are all bad, but you know them chicks that say you can ONLY use that for your hair or it will fall out :rolleyes: )
  • i washed once or twice a week
  • i was a roller-setting queen! :grin:
  • i would wash and go all summer... would use heat once a month because my mom insisted that it wasn't appropriate to wear my hair "messy" or in a bun during Communion. :rolleyes: but otherwise no heat, and this was the time of year i would go the longest without a touch-up. i'd always wait until the week before school was gonna start to get another relaxer.
  • i wore a lot of protective styles, cuz i was very active/involved in extra-curricular activities and sports. it was just easier to stick my hair in a ponytail or bun. but the downside to this is, i would want to look cute afterwards if me and my friends were going somewhere afterwards, so i had to bust out the curling iron... i guess it does you no good to wear a bun every day if you're just gonna use heat every day :lol:
  • airdried my hair a lot
  • trimmed my hair when necessary (i.e. if it was full of split ends i didnt' try to hold on to them for the sake of length)

Last edited:
After lurking for sooooo long, I decided to go ahead and pay my dues. Hey, I’m learning, so I should contribute too! I’ve already learned soo much from you all. Thank you!!

I know we have many threads about what we did wrong or what did not work on our hair. I want to acknowledge what we did right. What did you do before LHCF that you later discovered after LHCF was right and good for your hair?

Me, I was the deep conditioning queen and I use to sleep with conditioner and/or DC under the dryer all the time. Also I use to put vit e oil on my edges and ends during the deep condition & mix some into the conditioner. I’ve always hated gel and oil sprays; and my plain ol bun was my regular hairstyle.

When I used to blowdry, I would let my hair airdry a bit, before blowdrying it. I noticed that it took less time to dry and didn't come out very very dry when I did that.

Also, I stretched my relaxers at least 3 months. My mom didn't want me to get relaxers too frequently (looking back, I think she just didn't want to give me the money to go do it, lol).

The things that I did right were:
-deep condition weekly
-using leave-in
-air drying
-moisturizing
-sleep in a scarf or bonnet

I have to also say the things I should not have been doing:
-using shampoo
-pressing/flat ironing weekly
-cutting monthly

Last edited:
i wore a satin bonnet or scarf to bed and i moisturized my hair (but with stuff with mineral oil) when it felt dry. i also used a heat protectant (chi silk infusion) most of the time...thats it.

i didnt wash my hair on my own and i only went to the salon 2 times a month MAX...didnt let them DC cause i thought it was stupid to pay extra for conditioner. i used my flat iron religiously too.

I deep conditioned (sometimes too long- a couple of days) but I didn't know the difference between protein and moisture conditioners.

Not a lot of direct heat and used a heat protectant.

Got trims regulary

Stretched relaxers to at least 8 weeks.

My mom made me DC overnight .. never knew why though.

That was only once in a blue moon though.
Always after a relaxer.

Um .. I washed once a week. Occasionally I would go 2 weeks but I didn't really like to.

I only got a relaxer every 8 or 10 weeks. I never really kept up with it. But, I do 12 now.

And .. that's about it.:perplexed

Before this site I was already:
  • co-washing
  • using big tooth combs
  • using denman brush (at least knock off)
  • sleeping on satin pillow cases or wearing satin bonnet

thank you Ladies for reponding!

I forgot to add satin scarf every night and twice a week washes.

NOTHING :lachen:

I read about washing your hair with an egg somewheres, so I would do that from time to time.

I did notice that may hair was much softer after using infusium 23, so I would use that sometimes.

That's it.

Otherwise I was a scalp greasing, cotton scarf wearing, small toothed comb using, overprocessing, monthly washing, sponge roller using FOOL!

Back