What are your thoughts on Engagement rings?

Middle

Guess who?
What's the perfect size? Is there any such thing as too big? Do you think Tiffany rings are worth the markup?

Personally, I feel conflicted about engagement rings given all the conflict around them in W. Africa. I'm wondering if I should forego a ring and just go for a band? How have you resolved your feelings about this?

What's the perfect size? Is there any such thing as too big? Do you think Tiffany rings are worth the markup?

Personally, I feel conflicted about engagement rings given all the conflict around them in W. Africa. I'm wondering if I should forego a ring and just go for a band? How have you resolved your feelings about this?

It depends on the guy.

I think a ring is too big if your guy really can't afford it. I think if you really want an engagement ring then you should have it. It doesn't have to be a diamond. There are other very nice stones out there.

I think you and your guy should work out what's best and don't let other folk influence you. If you feel like a small ring or band is more appropriate, then you should get it instead of a giant diamond even if he can afford it.

I have felt the same way for a long time. I decided that i don't really want a new ring, or even a diamond (although i still think diamonds are beautiful) I really just want a ring with history and character. And old antique/vintage ring. Doesn't have to be a diamond. I love the look of rose cut stones (even though it's not the brightest or very popular) and art deco style rings. I would like a decent sized stone though.

ring.jpg

lovethisring.jpg

Last edited:
I have felt the same way for a long time. I decided that i don't really want a new ring, or even a diamond (although i still think diamonds are beautiful) I really just want a ring with history and character. And old antique/vintage ring. Doesn't have to be a diamond. I love the look of rose cut stones (even though it's not the brightest or very popular) and art deco style rings. I would like a decent sized stone though.

lovethisring.jpg

This is lovely!!!

I have long, slender fingers,y ring finger is a size 7. I'd be fine with a 2 ct. VVS stone.

I have no clue what my ring size is. I still don't know if I want to get a diamond, but if I do, I want a big one. At least 3 cts. But I don't know if I want a diamond yet.

The ring wasn't really a big deal to me and still isn't. I was never big on size or anything. I was glad to have one that I didn't have to pay for myself. :lol: I love my ring.

If the conflict diamonds is what gets to you maybe go with moissanite or a domestic gemstone instead of a diamond?

For other people, I don't think there's such a thing as too big. I love seeing big bohemoth rings on women. But for me I like a "medium" size. I dunno how many carats or whatever.

I have extremely tiny hands & fingers (ring size 3.75!), so a large ring was out of the question for me, sadly. Flashy jewelry is out of character for me anyways, so it all worked out.

So I say go with what looks good on you, fits your lifestyle/personal style, and touches your heart. You should have an emotional attachment to your ring.

I opted for a Tiffany ring because it was easy...the quality was assured, and I didn't have to do much research. They also have a patented cut that I had my heart set on. I looked at dupes, and none of them were as nice. So I did what felt right to me...what other people thought about MY e-ring wasn't important.

e-rings don't have to be diamonds, HOWEVER, every natural stone (and a few unnatural ones) have had some sort of conflict or war associated with them. The e-ring he got me is a diamond but I wear it under duress and on occasions where I have to wear it. I am not a diamond girl. I love colored stones so, thats what I wear 90% of the time. I just make him buy me another 'e-ring' to wear every few months:blush::lol:. granted though, I've slowed down because the price of gold is really outrageous, but for a while there...:look:

Oh and for size? meh, I wear what I like. 5mm to 20mm I'll wear all of them:yep:. Stones go by MM size, though the average for an ering is 6.5-7mm.

-A

I don't want one... At all.

My thoughts on weddings and rings are very different from most. I plan on getting married but I don't need a ring or a fancy wedding. Thats just me though.

A friend of mine wants a sapphire. It's really cute. I have a 1ct solitaire, my finger is 5 1/2 small.

I say see what he can afford and go from there. But please don't ring compare...you never know the story behind someone else's fancy ring. You don't know who financed and all that other crazy stuff folks do to stunt, also I wouldnt buy Tiffany's diamonds , I'm not sure people can tell its Tiffany's, only your pocketbook, or his wallet will know. I am checking out their rosé gold selection though.
Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:
I want something antique and unique. I like this one.
vintage-engagement-rings.jpg

I dont think there is too big or too small. Doesnt have to be a diamond. Dont subscribe to standards as far as engagement ring, its all personality based.

I have extremely tiny hands & fingers (ring size 3.75!), so a large ring was out of the question for me, sadly. Flashy jewelry is out of character for me anyways, so it all worked out.

So I say go with what looks good on you, fits your lifestyle/personal style, and touches your heart. You should have an emotional attachment to your ring.

I opted for a Tiffany ring because it was easy...the quality was assured, and I didn't have to do much research. They also have a patented cut that I had my heart set on. I looked at dupes, and none of them were as nice. So I did what felt right to me...what other people thought about MY e-ring wasn't important.

And I thought my hand was small dang you could put a grain of rice on your finger

I just looked at tons of rings...read like Every diamond guide available, and picked out a top 20, and then started whittling it down to a top 4. Then I let Dh pick out the one he wanted out of my top 4...then I nudged him to the one I really wanted.... :giggle:

There is no such thing as too big....but there is a too small. Go big, or go home!!:yep:

Last edited:
i want a black diamond! we have been looking at rings for awhile and that is what i want! i want something totally different than what others have and something that fits my personality.

oh and i am terrible with jewelry! i lose stuff all of the time! there have been plenty of days where somebody brought me ring and said they found it somewhere. i have small fingers and my ring had to be sized twice. if i lose any weight, it would slip off of my finger.

he showed me a ring the other day and i hate it. it's a black diamond, but it looks like an old lady ring. i am mad that he just isn't getting it! :lol: i showed him a few other rings online i like and he told me he really likes the one he saw yesterday. i want to tell him so bad that ring is ugly!

but anyway, i say go with what you want and what will make you happy! remember, you are the one that has to wear it!

Last edited:
Black diamonds can be nice, but most of them are dyed. They're really not worth much tbh. Pink, yellow, green, blue, red are the colors that are valuable in diamonds. Even more so if they are AIGA, GIA papered.

White, grey, honey colored (cognac), black, not as valuable.

-A

I have extremely tiny hands & fingers (ring size 3.75!)

OMG i'm 3.5!! Do you know a place to get rings that small w/ stones that go all the way around the band? On or Offline, i dont care.

ETA:
Arcadian - what are your thoughts on domestic stones? I read somewhere that all stones outside of the US have "issues" but that the stones here are more expensive, but "conflict free." was that a load of bull?

Last edited:
A one carat center stone is ideal for small and medium sized fingers. Unless you have a huge setting to hold it centered on your finger a giant solitare will tilt its way sideways and wedge between your fingers.

I dont want Tiffany cos i think most of it is paying for the name

this ring is gorgeous. details pls. I showed SO and he wants to know too :look:

I have long, slender fingers,y ring finger is a size 7. I'd be fine with a 2 ct. VVS stone.
My fingers are sz4 and when i tried on rings with my friend, I realized anything more than 1.5 is too big. I know i want a very thin micropave band.

Black diamonds can be nice, but most of them are dyed. They're really not worth much tbh. Pink, yellow, green, blue, red are the colors that are valuable in diamonds. Even more so if they are AIGA, GIA papered.

White, grey, honey colored (cognac), black, not as valuable.

-A

oh i know! i have done my homework! but i really want one! i don't care if it has the value of coal! :lol:

And I thought my hand was small dang you could put a grain of rice on your finger
Girl, I know. I can't even really try on rings in the store and get a good idea of what they'll look like...the display rings are just too big.

OMG i'm 3.5!! Do you know a place to get rings that small w/ stones that go all the way around the band? On or Offline, i dont care.
Hi tiny hand twin! Tiffany will have it. :yep:

oh i know! i have done my homework! but i really want one! i don't care if it has the value of coal! :lol:

Well then go for it, just don't spend a lot:lol: My black diamond eternity band was slightly under 100 bucks a few years ago. They may run close to 200 these days.

I was close :look:

-A

Last edited:
At least 1 carat, conflict free diamond in gold setting. He is free to improve on the basics I laid out.

Back