What am I ?

Neith

I naturally have 4a/3c hair which I texturized a few months ago, then relaxed OVER that to try and get a fully relaxed look.

I have very resistant hair. I used ORS no - lye super strength for 20 minutes.

Half of my hair was already processed with hawaiian silky regular for 15 minutes, so I only applied the ORS for 10 minutes on that part.

I smoothed and smoothed and lo and behold...

49806717nt0.jpg

Yep. That's IT. My naps are strong :lachen:

Anyways, I'm fiddling around with my regimen trying to decide how much and how often I should "schedule" protein treatments.

Should I approach it as being fully relaxed (and using light protein between heavy protein) since my hair has been processed as much as a normal relaxed head...

or should I approach it as being texturized (being a little less on top of protein) because it doesn't seem that my hair is "broken down" ?

Am I texturized or relaxed? :spinning:

Your hair is pretty :grin: I think you might need to just figure out what your individual protein tolerance is. Maybe start with a light protein treatment and if your hair doesn't feel strong enough try something a little more hard core.

Your hair is pretty :grin: I think you might need to just figure out what your individual protein tolerance is. Maybe start with a light protein treatment and if your hair doesn't feel strong enough try something a little more hard core.

Thank you! :)

That makes sense. I'm just the type to plan things out like a maniac. :lol: I have a hair journal/calendar and I've got almost everything written down for the whole year.

I'd really like to know how "damaged" my hair is.

Does it truly resist damage and therefore is less damaged than someone who is fully relaxed? Or does it just appear to be more intact?

I would say texlaxed... your hair looks damaged, so I wouldn't try anymore relaxer on it... I would just let it be. I would do a protein treatment so you don't get any breakage immediately, but you don't really need to schedule them. Just do it if your hair feels mushy or too elastic, or if your curls get even looser than they are now (because that is a sign of damage)

I would say texlaxed... your hair looks damaged, so I wouldn't try anymore relaxer on it... I would just let it be. I would do a protein treatment so you don't get any breakage immediately, but you don't really need to schedule them. Just do it if your hair feels mushy or too elastic, or if your curls get even looser than they are now (because that is a sign of damage)

My hair isn't damaged... What exactly looks damaged about it? :ohwell:

People, tell me if my hair looks damaged cuz I don't see it and I'll be wondering all day now :lachen:

My last "relaxer" was more than a week ago. No breakage or dryness to speak of... just naturally coarse, resistant hair.

I don't have a strict schedule (hence the " "s around the word schedule in my first post) but I do have a ballpark time range for them.

I guess I'll call myself texturized and start off light with the protein...

Your hair is tough girl! :lachen:

It's beautiful! (It doesn't look damaged to me either) I permanently color my hair, so I approach protein the same way most relaxed heads do, I think you should do the same, then tweak it as you go along.:yawn:

Your hair does not looked damaged in my eyes.

Thank you :) You have single handedly stopped a meltdown.

I went through too much with this hair for it to be damaged lol

Your hair is tough girl! :lachen:

It's beautiful! (It doesn't look damaged to me either) I permanently color my hair, so I approach protein the same way most relaxed heads do, I think you should do the same, then tweak it as you go along.:yawn:

:lol: My mother always said that I have some rough hair.

It's coming up on two weeks since my texlax, so I'll do a hard protein. I'll get something light just in case my hair starts to feel funny in the weeks after the aphogee...

Okay, resistant ain't even the word for it. :laugh: As I was reading your post, a picture of the Juggernaut popped up in my head; seriously. :laugh:

Your hair doesn't look damaged to me, though; it looks texturized. If I had to guess about the protein; I'd say do a light one, first. If it's not enough, that's easy to solve, but if you do a hard protein, and it's too much, you could experience breakage or hard hair.

Okay, resistant ain't even the word for it. :laugh: As I was reading your post, a picture of the Juggernaut popped up in my head; seriously. :laugh:

Your hair doesn't look damaged to me, though; it looks texturized. If I had to guess about the protein; I'd say do a light one, first. If it's not enough, that's easy to solve, but if you do a hard protein, and it's too much, you could experience breakage or hard hair.

I guess I'm happy with at least getting it texturized this time.

My attempt at texturizing went worse. Looked like I didn't do anything to it :lol:

That's true about the hard protein... if I was fully relaxed I wouldn't worry, but I left the stuff in my hair as long as anyone else would. I'm not sure what went on inside. It could be just a "weak" as someone with fully relaxed hair.

Couldn't it?

:sigh: I dunno...

P.S. that's a very cute bun :yep:

Doesn't look damaged at all to me, but it surely looks texturized.:yep: Minny is right...start with light protein and if your hair feels fine stick with that. If you jump into heavy protein unnecessarily, you could end up with dryness and breakage.

I also have relaxer resistant hair. Do you use sulfur based products? That makes me extra relaxer resistant.:rolleyes: Your hair is gorgeous, too. Please be careful with your next touch up!

:look: Didn't realize a meltdown was brewing. This is like that time when some girl was crying because somebody told her she had short hair.:perplexed

By damaged I mean the relaxer broke it down. You can tell because you obviously lost a lot of your curls. It does look like a relaxer/texturizer was put on it, and from what I know, relaxers are meant to break your hair down (damage) it to make it straighter. It wasn't meant to be an insult, just a statement of fact, me saying the relaxer did take, but just not all the way. As in you're texlaxed, as in you're not natural anymore.

um somehow i deleted my original post... :look:

well anyway, i was just trying to say we must be hair twins, cuz here's what my "relaxed" hair looked like back in the day:
nappycurls-vi.jpg

mind you, i left these chems on my head for 30 minutes before rinsing it out... also i have some heat-damaged areas. i still have texture to spare :lachen:

Last edited:

Your hair doesn't looked damaged to me. In fact you sound like you have some of the toughest hair on this board :lachen:

:ot: Your hair is beautiful! I'm loving your siggy :infatuated:

Maybe you should let a professional put in your next relaxer. My hair would be underprocessed like yours when I relaxed myself.

Maybe you should let a professional put in your next relaxer. My hair would be underprocessed like yours when I relaxed myself.

i dunno, that never worked for me either. :perplexed although i remember someone on here mentioning they flat iron their NG first and then do touch-ups to help get the hair straighter. maybe you could try that Neith?

:look: Didn't realize a meltdown was brewing. This is like that time when some girl was crying because somebody told her she had short hair.:perplexed

By damaged I mean the relaxer broke it down. You can tell because you obviously lost a lot of your curls. It does look like a relaxer/texturizer was put on it, and from what I know, relaxers are meant to break your hair down (damage) it to make it straighter. It wasn't meant to be an insult, just a statement of fact, me saying the relaxer did take, but just not all the way. As in you're texlaxed, as in you're not natural anymore.

I thought it was OBVIOUS that I'm not natural. I mean... I put on a super relaxer on for the full processing time :lol: I stated in the first line of my post that I was going for the fully relaxed look.

Who in the world doesn't know that they're not natural after that?? :look:

Don't worry, I wasn't crying. :lachen: I wanted to know if others saw something that I wasn't seeing, cuz I know I'm not crazy or blind. In the off chance that I was buggin, I wanted to know. It wasn't THAT serious now. *snickers*

I just don't think that most people us damaged and relaxed as synonyms that way.

I mean... would you walk up to macherieamor (if you don't know, shes a pretty popular member with GORGEOUS relaxed hair) and say "your damaged hair is so pretty!"

That would just be awkward :perplexed

um somehow i deleted my original post... :look:

well anyway, i was just trying to say we must be hair twins, cuz here's what my "relaxed" hair looked like back in the day:
nappycurls-vi.jpg

mind you, i left these chems on my head for 30 minutes before rinsing it out... also i have some heat-damaged areas. i still have texture to spare :lachen:

Your hair was still pretty too :)

Your hair doesn't looked damaged to me. In fact you sound like you have some of the toughest hair on this board :lachen:

Thanks! :drunk:

I am relieved to learn that there are people like me... I never heard of anyone else THIS resistant before asking.

Professionals would have the same problem. Unless they keep it on for an hour (yep, I've had relaxer in my head for an hour, even more in salons), it's not going to be straight... and that leads to overprocessed, thin hair.

I DID think it would come out straighter than this though. I was shooting for looser waves in the wet state.

but honestly, for a normal person even if they didn't smooth the relaxer properly (which I did) it would come out much straighter, if not nearly straight.

i dunno, that never worked for me either. :perplexed although i remember someone on here mentioning they flat iron their NG first and then do touch-ups to help get the hair straighter. maybe you could try that Neith?

Yeah, I will try it in the future... lawd have mercy. :wallbash:

I'll also chelate my hair before relaxing... and maybe do a baking soda treatment.

Last edited:
I also have relaxer resistant hair. Do you use sulfur based products? That makes me extra relaxer resistant.:rolleyes: Your hair is gorgeous, too. Please be careful with your next touch up!

Thanks... your hair is pretty too! I can see it'll look great as it grows out.

Nope, no sulfur and thanks for warning me :)

I will be veeeery careful :yep:

I thought it was OBVIOUS that I'm not natural. I mean... I put on a super relaxer on for the full processing time :lol:

Who in the world doesn't know that they're not natural after that?? :look:
Don't worry, I wasn't crying. :lachen: I wanted to know if others saw something that I wasn't seeing, cuz I know I'm not crazy or blind. It wasn't THAT serious now. *snickers*

I just don't think that most people us damaged and relaxed as synonyms that way.

I mean... would you walk up to macherieamor (if you don't know, shes a pretty popular member with GORGEOUS relaxed hair) and say "your damaged hair is so pretty!"

You really are taking this the wrong way
Nobody said you were crying.
The word damaged was not meant as a personal insult.
Macherie has nothing to do with this, but I'm sure she understands the concept of relaxers and what they do to the bonds of hair.
Sodium Hydroxide is corrosive, why do you think people are suggesting protein treatments?

ETA: I understand people are overly sensitive over on this side so I'll leave it at that. :drunk:

Last edited:
I naturally have 4a/3c hair which I texturized a few months ago, then relaxed OVER that to try and get a fully relaxed look.

I have very resistant hair. I used ORS no - lye super strength for 20 minutes.

Half of my hair was already processed with hawaiian silky regular for 15 minutes, so I only applied the ORS for 10 minutes on that part.

I smoothed and smoothed and lo and behold...

49806717nt0.jpg

Yep. That's IT. My naps are strong :lachen:

Anyways, I'm fiddling around with my regimen trying to decide how much and how often I should "schedule" protein treatments.

Should I approach it as being fully relaxed (and using light protein between heavy protein) since my hair has been processed as much as a normal relaxed head...

or should I approach it as being texturized (being a little less on top of protein) because it doesn't seem that my hair is "broken down" ?

Am I texturized or relaxed? :spinning:

I think your texturized even though it has been processed more your hair still wasnt having it. So I think thats how you should handle the protein you use, if you find/feel you need more later you can always adjust

ETA: Correct word being texlaxed *sorry*

Last edited:
Thank you! :)

That makes sense. I'm just the type to plan things out like a maniac. :lol: I have a hair journal/calendar and I've got almost everything written down for the whole year.

I'd really like to know how "damaged" my hair is.

Does it truly resist damage and therefore is less damaged than someone who is fully relaxed? Or does it just appear to be more intact?

I think with your hair being so resistant and your protein bonds being so strong that it doesnt make a difference how you processed, your hair doesnt fall into the 'norm' the fact that its that strong despite the amount of processing means still less of the protein bonds were broken down , which still means less possible damage

You really are taking this the wrong way
Nobody said you were crying.
The word damaged was not meant as a personal insult.
Macherie has nothing to do with this, but I'm sure she understands the concept of relaxers and what they do to the bonds of hair.
Sodium Hydroxide is corrosive, why do you think people are suggesting protein treatments?

ETA: I understand people are overly sensitive over on this side so I'll leave it at that. :drunk:

I'm not sensitive...

You said my hair looks damaged without any further explanation. In fact you said I have texlaxed AND damaged hair. Any normal, rational person would conclude that you were saying I have damaged hair.

You could say that it was a misunderstanding, and I get what you're saying but you DIDN'T communicate your point in your first posting.

I know what a relaxer is and what it does. It's just another "duh" moment... you don't have to school me on relaxers and damage. I know just as much as you do about those subjects. I know I'm not natural.

It is "damaged" even if it is healthy... but the way it was implied is that my hair is damaged as in breaking, dry and unhealthy.

Don't blame me for reacting a certain way (which by the way wasn't highly explosive or nasty) because you didn't communicate your point across right the first time.

I think with your hair being so resistant and your protein bonds being so strong that it doesnt make a difference how you processed, your hair doesnt fall into the 'norm' the fact that its that strong despite the amount of processing means still less of the protein bonds were broken down , which still means less possible damage

That makes sense. I was just afraid that I had invisible damage, like having fully relaxed hair on the inside, but it still looking texturized.

I guess that's impossible and you can always see the level of protein bonds broken in the final result. Thanks for your replies :)

Oh my point was communicated, as you can see in the quotes you posted. You're just overly sensitive.

I said it looked damaged. I said to do a protein treatment (like you suggested yourself) to avoid breakage. I didn't say it was breaking off or dry or any of the sort. You assumed. There was no implication, you just assumed. You took somebody being helpful as a personal attack and was about to have a meltdown (your words, not mine) because of it. Get over it, because you read too much into something.

I'm done. :)

I'm not sensitive...

You said my hair looks damaged without any further explanation. In fact you said I have texlaxed AND damaged hair. Any normal, rational person would conclude that you were saying I have damaged hair.

You could say that it was a misunderstanding, and I get what you're saying but you DIDN'T communicate your point in your first posting.

I know what a relaxer is and what it does. It's just another "duh" moment... you don't have to school me on relaxers and damage. I know just as much as you do about those subjects. I know I'm not natural.

It is "damaged" even if it is healthy... but the way it was implied is that my hair is damaged as in breaking, dry and unhealthy.

Don't blame me for reacting a certain way (which by the way wasn't highly explosive or nasty) because you didn't communicate your point across right the first time.

Oh my point was communicated, as you can see in the quotes you posted. You're just overly sensitive.

I said it looked damaged. I said to do a protein treatment (like you suggested yourself) to avoid breakage. I didn't say it was breaking off or dry or any of the sort. You assumed. There was no implication, you just assumed. You took somebody being helpful as a personal attack and was about to have a meltdown (your words, not mine) because of it. Get over it, because you read too much into something.

I'm done. :)

You said...

It looks texturized, your hair looks damaged.

If you read English... what other conclusion would you come up with? :lol: I was just reading what you wrote.

"Your hair looks damaged."

What do you mean I read too much into it? What other way (with no further explanation) would a normal person interpret that statement?

You're done? Goodbye!:kick:

What a fool you are. Grow the hell up.

I said it and I meant it.

You are arguing about something that nobody was even arguing against. I did say that... what, you think I'm supposed to take it back because it hurt your feelings??? Normal people take it for what it is and don't overread into it. :look: Stop crying and get over yourself. You not only read what I wrote, you invented half the crap you said in your mind. I said one word and you dragged it out like I said something bad about you as a person.

Your hair looks stretched and twisted and uneven in parts and the texture has loosened. It looks like you put a relaxer on it What am I supposed to say? It looks perfect like you never relaxed?:rolleyes:

Next time you get your behind up and ask people what they see, expect real answers and not sugar coating from everybody... Sheesh.

You said...

It looks texturized, your hair looks damaged.

If you read English... what other conclusion would you come up with? :lol: I was just reading what you wrote.

"Your hair looks damaged."

What do you mean I read too much into it? What other way (with no further explanation) would a normal person interpret that statement?

You're done? Goodbye!:kick:

Back