I am SERIOUSLY debating....((gasp))...

Am I the only whose hair still wouldn't last w/ a relaxer. It was still pretty curly too.
As soon as I step in the club/humidity, relaxer or not, with straight hair, it would poof. So if your hair is like mine, I say don't do it.

Your hair is at that stage where it's almost past your shoulders when curly. I know it's h*ll but trust me it will get better as it grows. Try clipping your hair up softly while it's drying to lengthen the curls a bit.
Maybe a corrective is a good thing - but I don't know anything about relaxers. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Anyway, your hair looks very pretty and I'm sure it would look pretty relaxed as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know my opinion doesn’t really matter and end the end you should do what is best for your hair but I would just like to comment and say that your texturized hair is beautiful!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I would take your “bush” over my “relaxed” hair any day! In the end, whatever you decide to do…good luck. /images/graemlins/up.gif

I havent read the whole thread but I too agree your hair looks wonderful texturized and I am sure it would look just as nice relaxed....I think you do what works best for you....also, since you went to Miami...maybe you need a different conditioner or moisturizer since you have all that humidity down there...Im relaxed and when I have gone to visit MI I get a nice puff too....my hair LOVES water...... maybe the humidity is effecting your locks

Good luck whichever style you choose!!!

Model, you have such pretty hair with the texturizer. But I know the convenience of a relaxer is tempting. I was natural all during college and I fell off the wagon my senior year. Whatever you do, give yourself some time, try some different styles and techniques. If you still want to relax, go for it.

Model - How long ago did you have a relaxer? And what made you stop relaxing and to texturize instead?

I support your decision either way. We should all be happy with our hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
...going back to being fully relaxed. I am really getting frustrated with my texturized hair. I mean, yeah, it's wash-n-wear, but frankly, I'm tired of the BUSH. Plus, it's getting longer and instead of "hanging" properly--sometimes it bunches up at my shoulders. I'm really starting to miss relaxed hair--and all you relaxed ladies with your albums showcasing all of your progress, just make me want to relax even more. I miss my silky rollersets and rollerwraps and hair that "swings".......JUST VENTING..... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I started relaxing mine a bit more....to reduce the bulkiness. I was getting tired of the thick, layered, big curly hair look. It is not as curly anymore and I am able to flat iron it and it lasts a week. I just sleep with my bonnet on and finger comb in the morning. Yes, it is silky and swingy too, but it was that way before...it's just that it straightens faster now and dries faster with less curls. When I was more curly, I had to use setting agents to maintain the curl when I straightened. Otherwise, it would start to curl up on me! I don't have to do that anymore. I just bump the ends under as I flat iron now. I am still cutting it to grow out the layers though. I think by spring I will have a less curly and less bulky air-dried curly/wavy look that is all one length. My goal was all one length before, but I just got tired of the bulk. Sometimes we need a change, but you have to make sure that it's what you want to do before doing anything drastic. I'm sure whatever you decide will be good for you. If you're not happy, it will grow back. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I understand your plight but I also think your hair is beautiful just the way it is. I think it will continue to be whatever you decide /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Model - How long ago did you have a relaxer? And what made you stop relaxing and to texturize instead?

I support your decision either way. We should all be happy with our hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove--I was relaxed about 2 years ago...well, if you want to call it that. I'd been self-relaxing for YEARS and I'm not the most thorough, so my hair has never been completely straight. Anyway, at one point I was introduced to sew-in weaves, which I fell in love with the ease and low-maintenance, but still looking like a glamour girl--so I jumped on that bandwagon for like 2 years--and I would relax my hair sporadically in-between weaves here and there. One day, I decided to just let my hair airdry to see what it would look like--and to my surprise, it was WEARABLE...I've been texturizing ever since....

Thx again for all the compliments ladies. I may just need a break. But you relaxed hair chicas on the board are doing the damn thang'.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I was about to type the same thing. Your hair is beautiful texturized....what happened to your straight weaves you used to do? Maybe that's an option instead of getting a relaxer and you still will have your curls underneath.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Your curls are too beautiful and that color is to die for.

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Your hair is so beautiful. Have you tried using a serum on your hair when you straighten? Like someone else said you may just be dealing with humidity and the resulting hair poufiness. Whatever you decide we will be behind you.

Okay, okay....I'm going to hold off. haha /images/graemlins/laugh.gif No, I haven't used a serum-type product. I may give that a try. But I think I'm going to weave it for a while or test out my new quick weave--just to give it a break. I will be sure to post pics...

Thx for stopping me from being too hasty ladies. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Modelchick, if you don't mind the heat try a ceramic flat iron along with a straightening serum like frizz-ease.

I agree w/ the ceramic flat iron thing. You should take advantage of the lack of humidity in the air in Miami this time of year to try out some straight styles. I bet your hair would look very pretty. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was going to add another Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Lol, Your texturized hair and the color look awesome. But its good that you decided to hold off on relaxing until you are absolutely sure that you want to go that route. If you decide after wearing the sew-in's, quick weaves, or blow out styles that you still want to fully relaxe your hair it will still look wonderful and be healthy.

Keep up the wonderful hair care no matter what decision you make! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
model_chick717 said:
Okay, okay....I'm going to hold off. haha /images/graemlins/laugh.gif No, I haven't used a serum-type product. I may give that a try. But I think I'm going to weave it for a while or test out my new quick weave--just to give it a break. I will be sure to post pics...

Thx for stopping me from being too hasty ladies. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad you decided not to do this. We love your hair! You are the reason many of us have debated about going natural. If I thought my hair would come out like yours if I stopped relaxing, I'd probably do it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

my hair is texturized but I'm still able to get it straight by rollersetting/blowdrying/flatironing. It might take some extra work (flatironing) but you should be able to get the same smooth and sleek look as fully relaxed hair IMO

Back