wgo & mold

plainj

Note: this experience happened a while ago.

I bought a bottle of wgo . I loved it. I started using it on my hairline to soften the ng and lay it down. It worked wonders. After a week or 2, I started getting these weird pimples on my face near my hairline. I didn't attribute the breakout to wgo at the time b/c I had breakout on other parts of my face also. Well I stopped using the wgo and started using it again. The weird pimples that were leaving dark marks on my face came back. I stopped using it altogether but the bottle was empty by then. I didn't throw the bottle away b/c I had planned to re-use it. When I finally decided to use the empty bottle it was full of black mold--under the red cap, under the lid and all inside the bottle. YUCK! Now I know (duh! Yeah sometimes the truth has to hit me over the head) that the wgo caused all my pimple angst. I still have a dark mark on my forehead by the hairline.

Anyone else notice moldy wgo?

I know WGO has calcium in it, so I would have said it was a built of calcium deposit but black:eek: .... I need to tell my sis to check her!

:eek: :eek: :eek: MOLD!!! That is awful! I am going to keep a closer watch on my WGO. I am sorry this happened to you. Thanks for the heads up.

OMG!! ^^DEAD^^ PASSING OUT NOW!!

HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED???
DID YOU HAVE MOISTURE IN THERE???
CHECK YOUR BATHROOM VENTILATION AS WELL ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS LEFT UNOPENED IN THERE.

i'M MOLD PHBIC BECAUSE I SUFFERD FROM A BAD SKIN CONDITION FOR A LONG TIME AND MOLD WAS THE CULPRIT!!!!!!
ALSO USE CLOROX MIXED WITH WATER IN A SPRAY BOTTLE ON YOUR SHOWER CURTAINS AND WALLS TO KILL ANY GROWING THINGIES.

I always open the WGO Bottles before I buy them because they do get growths in them. I was suprised to find out that WGO was light in color a golden yellow don't be fooled it shouldn't be too dark in color.

Last edited:
Yes I still have the mark on my head. You probably couldn't tell but I can. You know how a pimple leaves a dark mark behind? My dark spot is maybe the size of a pencil eraser. It has lightened signifigantly though. It's been more than a year. When I first bought my bottle, it was a dark golden color. There was a black spot at the bottom of the bottle but I thought it was sediment since wgo is all natural. This doesn't have preservatives in it does it? Maybe I had an old bottle. It was bought at an Asian bss if that means anything. Watch your products ladies.

Yuk! I just looked at my WGO and it has little black specks of something in it. Is that actually mold?

nomoweavesfome said:
OMG!! ^^DEAD^^ PASSING OUT NOW!!

HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED???
DID YOU HAVE MOISTURE IN THERE???
CHECK YOUR BATHROOM VENTILATION AS WELL ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE SHAMPOOS AND CONDITIONERS LEFT UNOPENED IN THERE.

i'M MOLD PHBIC BECAUSE I SUFFERD FROM A BAD SKIN CONDITION FOR A LONG TIME AND MOLD WAS THE CULPRIT!!!!!!
ALSO USE CLOROX MIXED WITH WATER IN A SPRAY BOTTLE ON YOUR SHOWER CURTAINS AND WALLS TO KILL ANY GROWING THINGIES.

All of you who are seeing those black specs should definitely take the advice above. I had an old bottle of WGO that I know had been in my possession over a year before I used it and I never saw any specs, mold, etc. It's all gone now. My new bottle top has black ink specs in the top but that is because the ink from the seal imprinted itself there. Definitely check your other products.

This makes sense...WGO is made of natural ingridients...just like food...it may eventually mold.

Also, another thought, it could have started from the store that you purchased it from...Ever since one of my friends purchased a "bad" perm (result=hair slid out) I've been skeptical about some of the independent BSS's in our area. I've also noticed that some of them sell old products. You can tell because the containers aren't the same as you would get them in when purchasing from Sally's or the drug/grocery store.

texasqt said:
Also, another thought, it could have started from the store that you purchased it from...Ever since one of my friends purchased a "bad" perm (result=hair slid out) I've been skeptical about some of the independent BSS's in our area. I've also noticed that some of them sell old products. You can tell because the containers aren't the same as you would get them in when purchasing from Sally's or the drug/grocery store.

ITA. You have to be wary of some BSS, especially those that might have old, dusty products on the shelves. That makes me nervous! I try to stick to Sally's or the drugstore for my hair products now for that very reason. I feel like I can trust the quality of products in those stores more than in independent BSS.

wow I have wgo that I've had for a very long time and and I rarely use it. i've never noticed any mold but then again I never looked for any, but if it was under the red cap I would def see when I went to use it. This is a good reality check that we need to be careful with our products, especially those kept in the bathtoom....hot shower daily= constant moisture & steam = environment for mold. I have extra space in my bathroom and way too many products to keep anywhere else so I will just have to make sure to double check everything on a reg basis and keep things extra ventilated.

preciousjewel76 said:
ITA. You have to be wary of some BSS, especially those that might have old, dusty products on the shelves. That makes me nervous! I try to stick to Sally's or the drugstore for my hair products now for that very reason. I feel like I can trust the quality of products in those stores more than in independent BSS.

Hmmm...that would make sense. I purchased this last bottle two months ago from a Chinese BSS, whereas, I normally purchase it from Sally's. It may have been an old product. It's surprising that none of my other products, even those that I actually keep in the shower (I store the WGO in a cabinet) have any mold in them.

I plan on sampling this for the first time based on years of positive reviews on here. But I will definitely be checking for mold before I purchase. I hope everything turns out ok for you.

Another way to keep an eye out for Wildgrowth oil is to pour the oil in a clear bottle. This way you can see what's going on WGO bottle is white.

No mold problems with my bottle, but I will definitely be checking regularly after hearing about this problem. Between the olive oil and the vitamins, I would think it could be a feast for creepy organisms...

Back