Well, I'm new and if you're new too, start this journey with me...

pazyamor

Let's start out with introductions,

Hi! my name is Jess and I'm an 18-year old college sophmore at Howard University (The REAL HU!) and I've decided to grow my hair out. Up until now, I've been known for edgy, short styles: Shaved one side a la Kelis, a mohawk, and the long bangs with short back pageboy style. But now, I've decided to grow it out because long hair looks really pretty to me. I'm not sure what hair type I am...or how I would even find out, but I do have manageable, thick, naturally glossy hair that is both relaxed and color-treated (it is only color-treated because my sister, the aspiring hair dresser, really needed to practice on a human before taking her stateboard exam) hair. I know my hair grows pretty quickly and I'm done taking advantage of that.

This little thread is definetly for newbies who have decided to take this journey with me, so we can share hair care tips, products, and regimens that work for all of us (or at least, some of us); but it's also for veterans who have seen results and have any tips for those of us still learning. Please, if you decide to join me on this journey, post an introductory blurb with a starting picture (if available) and your goal. Thanks for stopping by!

Oh yea, my goal is bra-strap length in the next year and a half, though if I don't reach that long in that time, I'm not going to get discouraged...just gotta keep trying!:drunk:

Here is my hair right now:

Attachments

• The Club 023new.JPG
    The Club 023new.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
8.gif

HI! I too am a newbie, and my hair is in need of help!!!!!! I've damaged it almost beyond repair. It's been bleached (by accident) and now that I've got some of the breakage under control, it's still shedding like crazy!!!

Any and all helpful hints will be appreciated!!!:wallbash:

Hey, well to get you started on your journey, check out my blog.

Sorry, I don't feel like writing on the board much, but all my advice and product reviews are here. Please tell your friends and WIN FREE GIFTS!

My name is Shirah and I am for sure not about to reveal my age! (I have issues :perplexed. anyways I am a mother of 3, on maternity leave and a graduate student. I just joined the forum yesterday.

My goal is armpit length but I am not sure how long it will take to get there. My hair grows fast but breaks faster. It is currently nape of the neck length.

Here is the regimen I am about to begin:

Shampoo with KMS daily fix 1x aweek
condition alternate weeks with DB reconstructor and UANS crema plus (this will also be my biweekly protein treatment)
Clarifying shampoo once a month. I haven't bought the shampoo yet so any advice on which one woudl be appreciated.
Daily leave in conditioner followed by castor oil. Right now I am using sunsilk hydra creme
B4 flat ironing I will be using bio silk therapy. I am also planning to try a prepoo with coconut milk today. I will post my results.

HI! I too am a newbie, and my hair is in need of help!!!!!! I've damaged it almost beyond repair. It's been bleached (by accident) and now that I've got some of the breakage under control, it's still shedding like crazy!!!

Any and all helpful hints will be appreciated!!!:wallbash:

YAY! Somebody else who's new...well, I've been patrolling the boards all day (I had the day off) and I've found some great threads from ladies who have seen results...I should be posting the links in a bit, with a little explanation on why I chose those particular threads and how they should help. I'm just starting out with this thing myself and I don't have a set regime, I hope I get one though! Thanks for joining me on this journey...what's your goal?

My name is Shirah and I am for sure not about to reveal my age! (I have issues :perplexed. anyways I am a mother of 3, on maternity leave and a graduate student. I just joined the forum yesterday.

My goal is armpit length but I am not sure how long it will take to get there. My hair grows fast but breaks faster. It is currently nape of the neck length.

Here is the regimen I am about to begin:

Shampoo with KMS daily fix 1x aweek
condition alternate weeks with DB reconstructor and UANS crema plus (this will also be my biweekly protein treatment)
Clarifying shampoo once a month. I haven't bought the shampoo yet so any advice on which one woudl be appreciated.
Daily leave in conditioner followed by castor oil. Right now I am using sunsilk hydra creme
B4 flat ironing I will be using bio silk therapy. I am also planning to try a prepoo with coconut milk today. I will post my results.

Age not required!! We're all babies in this haircare journey...at least you have a regimen in mind.

Hi wantlonghair 1988,
Welcome, I am not as newbie as you but I only joined early this year, so I guess I am somewhat. I am still learning and still finding out what works for my hair and what does not.
I am a senior at the university of Maryland so I know how hard it could be trying to take care of business and take care of your hair at the same time.
All I can tell you is that this forum is great and my advice to you are these
1. Deep condition on dry hair with heat, then shampoo etc.....
2. Oil Rinse - after shampooing apply your favorite oil, rinse with hot/warm water and then apply conditioner, rinse apply leave in conditioner and seal with your favorite oil.

3. Most important moisturize, moisturise, moisturize make sure though you have a good protein balance, maybe alternate every wash between a moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner.
4. Stretch stretch Stretch your relaxers as long as you can without much shedding if at all.
Those are some of the important thing I have learned so far just wanted to share them with you. Hope they help.

Hi wantlonghair 1988,
Welcome, I am not as newbie as you but I only joined early this year, so I guess I am somewhat. I am still learning and still finding out what works for my hair and what does not.
I am a senior at the university of Maryland so I know how hard it could be trying to take care of business and take care of your hair at the same time.
All I can tell you is that this forum is great and my advice to you are these
1. Deep condition on dry hair with heat, then shampoo etc.....
2. Oil Rinse - after shampooing apply your favorite oil, rinse with hot/warm water and then apply conditioner, rinse apply leave in conditioner and seal with your favorite oil.

3. Most important moisturize, moisturise, moisturize make sure though you have a good protein balance, maybe alternate every wash between a moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner.
4. Stretch stretch Stretch your relaxers as long as you can without much shedding if at all.
Those are some of the important thing I have learned so far just wanted to share them with you. Hope they help.

Thanks, I just found out (from this forum) that I haven't been giving my hair enough moisture OR Protein:wallbash: I'm surprised that my hair even grows at all! So, with these new added "tweaks" to my regime, my hair should get some length and fullness...which I don't think I need more of, but my ends are starting to look a little thin...which has never happened to me! But I will prevail!

Hi! I'm fairly new myself! I'm kind of like you, I've done all kinds of cuts and things with my hair. I'm ready for a change, and to finally have some healthy hair! Anyways, welcome! :yep:

Hi! I'm fairly new myself! I'm kind of like you, I've done all kinds of cuts and things with my hair. I'm ready for a change, and to finally have some healthy hair! Anyways, welcome! :yep:

Thanks...I know how it is, always trying to have the trendiest haircuts, but I am just ready to have a head of full, healthy, lengthy hair.

Another newbie here. Hey everyone my name is Candice, and I too can use some advice. It so much information here I don’t know where to start. My hair hasn’t been the same since I put in highlights over a year ago.
So now I just want healthy hair again.

Welcome, Ladies! :wave::clap:

As we like to say: HGH!!! (Er...that's shorthand for "Happy Hair Growing!" :look: :lol:)

Hello everyone, I am THE brownsugarbaby. I am a 17 yr old college freshman at, THE REAL HU, Hampton University. I have been growing my hair out for a while and so far so good though I would like to improve in some areas. I have a combination of 4a and 4b hair which falls at APL. My hair has been thinned out due to my flat iron over use of heat in my younger yrs. My regimen now consist of weekly washings and deep conditioning with heat, a roller set, and daily buns. My goal for now to thick BSL. As growth aids I am using Sulu Max Gro (I love this stuff!!!!) and daily horsetail capsules. I just bought some Healthy Hair Butter from Carol's Daughter and hoping that its the best moisterizer ever. Though I seem as I am well on my way I feel like I am missing something. So ladies please give me some help where you see fit. Also, if anyone has tried the Healthy Hair Butter could you give me some feedback. TIA.

Hello everyone, I am THE brownsugarbaby. I am a 17 yr old college freshman at, THE REAL HU, Hampton University. I have been growing my hair out for a while and so far so good though I would like to improve in some areas. I have a combination of 4a and 4b hair which falls at APL. My hair has been thinned out due to my flat iron over use of heat in my younger yrs. My regimen now consist of weekly washings and deep conditioning with heat, a roller set, and daily buns. My goal for now to thick BSL. As growth aids I am using Sulu Max Gro (I love this stuff!!!!) and daily horsetail capsules. I just bought some Healthy Hair Butter from Carol's Daughter and hoping that its the best moisterizer ever. Though I seem as I am well on my way I feel like I am missing something. So ladies please give me some help where you see fit. Also, if anyone has tried the Healthy Hair Butter could you give me some feedback. TIA.

"THE Real HU"? I'll see you at the Howard/Hampton throwdown...LOL! J/K, it's good to see another HBCU girl on here. But fo real, we are the real HU...stop tripping:spinning:

Hello one and all. My name is Michele and I am a newbie to this site (just joined a little while ago). Well, newbie as far as membership, but I've been "peeking" in on the forum for over a month or so.

A little hair history about me. After my friend blow dried my hair one time so straight that it looked like I had, had a touch up, I decided to see how long I could go between touch-ups. So in September, 2006 I purchased a new expensive flat iron and a new expensive blow dryer and lots of new hair products (yes...I too am a product junkie...lol). Well, I began my new journey.

First of all, no matter what I did, I could never get my hair as straight from blow drying as my friend had done (any tips?? please...anyone??). Then, by using my new expensive flat iron like it was a $15 cheapo from Wal-Mart, I ended up doing what? YUP!!! Burnt da heck out of my hair!!! So I lost a lot of the SL hair I did have. (I couldnt even make a pony-tail any more.) So in December, 2006, when I realized the damage I had done, I decided to put away the flat iron and the blow dryer for a while. In January, 2007 I had a friend to put some braids in, then after that, I had some weave sewn in. By April, 2007 I got tired of trying to find someone to do my hair. (I so hate going to the salon. IMHO, you spend more time waiting than you do actually getting your hair done.) By now my hair was getting so unmanageable, I did a light touch up to my new growth and purchased a wig.

As the Chicago winter of 2007 began to turn into spring, I decided it was a perfect time to start with daily conditioner washes. So I would conditioner wash my hair every morning and put a wig cap on before slappin' my wig on. (Now that's wash and go fa ya...lol.)

A month of so ago, I ran across this forum. I must say, I have picked-up a thing or two, but most of all I have to say I have pick-up inspiration from reading the post. I have also learned that healthy hair is well within reach...with a little TLC that is. I have also learned that I was not too far off base with the daily conditioner washes and protective styling. I learned about MTG (and how to dilute its smell a little....hehehe).

So as of right now, I have not had a touch up since early April, 2007. My hair has grown back to just at SL. I'm still rocking my protective wear (my wigs), and I am developing a game plan as far as my overall hair care process. (Lord knows I have more than enough products to get any plan started...lol.) The weather is getting too cool to be walking out with a wet head in the mornings, so no more daily conditioner washes for right now.

I was thinking of keeping my wig thing going until mid-2008. Right now, I'm working on developing a hair care routine that I can live with. The past two weeks I have had my hair in a few cornrows to keep it from getting tangled and matted. I have already added MTG and castor oil as the beginning of my new hair care routine. I'm working on the rest of the routine as we speak.

Best of luck to the other newbies!!!!

Hello one and all. My name is Michele and I am a newbie to this site (just joined a little while ago). Well, newbie as far as membership, but I've been "peeking" in on the forum for over a month or so.

A little hair history about me. After my friend blow dried my hair one time so straight that it looked like I had, had a touch up, I decided to see how long I could go between touch-ups. So in September, 2006 I purchased a new expensive flat iron and a new expensive blow dryer and lots of new hair products (yes...I too am a product junkie...lol). Well, I began my new journey.

First of all, no matter what I did, I could never get my hair as straight from blow drying as my friend had done (any tips?? please...anyone??). Then, by using my new expensive flat iron like it was a $15 cheapo from Wal-Mart, I ended up doing what? YUP!!! Burnt da heck out of my hair!!! So I lost a lot of the SL hair I did have. (I couldnt even make a pony-tail any more.) So in December, 2006, when I realized the damage I had done, I decided to put away the flat iron and the blow dryer for a while. In January, 2007 I had a friend to put some braids in, then after that, I had some weave sewn in. By April, 2007 I got tired of trying to find someone to do my hair. (I so hate going to the salon. IMHO, you spend more time waiting than you do actually getting your hair done.) By now my hair was getting so unmanageable, I did a light touch up to my new growth and purchased a wig.

As the Chicago winter of 2007 began to turn into spring, I decided it was a perfect time to start with daily conditioner washes. So I would conditioner wash my hair every morning and put a wig cap on before slappin' my wig on. (Now that's wash and go fa ya...lol.)

A month of so ago, I ran across this forum. I must say, I have picked-up a thing or two, but most of all I have to say I have pick-up inspiration from reading the post. I have also learned that healthy hair is well within reach...with a little TLC that is. I have also learned that I was not too far off base with the daily conditioner washes and protective styling. I learned about MTG (and how to dilute its smell a little....hehehe).

So as of right now, I have not had a touch up since early April, 2007. My hair has grown back to just at SL. I'm still rocking my protective wear (my wigs), and I am developing a game plan as far as my overall hair care process. (Lord knows I have more than enough products to get any plan started...lol.) The weather is getting too cool to be walking out with a wet head in the mornings, so no more daily conditioner washes for right now.

I was thinking of keeping my wig thing going until mid-2008. Right now, I'm working on developing a hair care routine that I can live with. The past two weeks I have had my hair in a few cornrows to keep it from getting tangled and matted. I have already added MTG and castor oil as the beginning of my new hair care routine. I'm working on the rest of the routine as we speak.

Best of luck to the other newbies!!!!

Welcome!! I'm glad you decided to join this journey with us! I think you have the right idea with the wog, because I'm thinking of starting a hide-your-hair (HYH) challenge for us newbies after I do a little forum research on it...Expect that around January!

Hi ladies...I too am a newbie but I've have been lurking on these boards for a few months now!:yep:

I started my hair journey at the end of August and I can tell you, I am glad I did! The first day of pre pooing my hair was thanking me. I've learned alot so far and I am so excited to continue on this journey and see some good results.

I am different from many of the ladies on this board because I DO NOT wash my own hair. I've had bad experiences with hair loss from washing it myself, but I know now it's because I was doing it wrong...getting it all tangled!!! I go to the salon every week for them to wash and set my hair so anyting I do at home is anything I feel comfortable doing like pre poos, moisturizing, and protective styles. I will post pictures and a fotki as soon as I can.

HHG ladies....

I'm in for the HYH challenge! keep me posted!

I'm also wearing wigs as my protective style of choice but not sure what to do under the wig? Right now I am using sunsilk TLC 24/7 and sealing with castor oil but I'm not sure how damp the hair should be and also should I put it in a pony? any advice would be appeciated.

Back