Well, I'm new and if you're new too, start this journey with me...

Hello, I too am a newbie... and my journey has just begun. I'm a 24 year old mother of two, who has neglected my hair due to time restrictions during my military career. Pulling it back into a "donut" seemed to make it a bit weak and also dry out my ends. At anyrate I join all my fellow newbies in our journey to Long and Healthy hair!!!!!!!!

Im currenly neck lenght and hoping to be APL by mid 2008, hoping to reach BSL by the end of 2008 or early 2009. My goal is to get my hair healthy healthy healthy and of course the added benefits of major growth.

I'm currently in the Virgin Islands and will be relocating to CT in 2008. Hope to hear from you all!! :grin:

WOW! The response has been overwhelming...well, I've been getting some feedback from some of the veterans and I think a challenge is definetly in order. If you guys have any challenge suggestions (like, HYH, APL, BSL...etc.) please post them here and we can take a vote and get this ball rolling in 2008! Also, this thread is for us newbies to share any information we've learned from other threads that others can benefit from. Like a good oil rinse, or rinsing your conditioner out with cold water (which seals the cuticle and retains some of your natural oils)...help us help you to help ourselves...does that make sense?:yep:

Welcome! I use to sport pixie cuts so I know what your talking about. I went from shoulder to APL in 9 months using condition washing and protective styles. You can do it, just remember it's a lifestyle change and you have to stay away from the scissors no matter how tempting it is to cut.

Well I'm newbie too. I'm a 23 and a stay at home mom of two. I have layered bsl hair. My first goal is mid back length which I should make by January and my ultimate goal is to be waist-length by next summer. I need all the motivation I can get. I'm obsessing with it.:spinning:I'm on this website evryday. But I guess I get hyped about things like that then I get it together and return to normal. But right now I'm a sponge trying to suck up all the knowledge about the "hair thing" all I can. But I would love to join this journey with you.

Since I am a newbie, can anyone point me in the direction of the LHCF Bootcamp regimen to get my hair started to a healthy path? Also anyone have any suggestions on the best products for
*Shampoos - currently using a mixture of Apoghee and Aussie Moist
*Conditioners - Apoghee and Aussie Moist
*Oils - Olive oil after shampoo and conditioning and some Emu oil occasionally (no regimen developed yet)

I have so many questions as well. :lachen:

*What is pre-poo?
*What is MTG?
*What is baggying?

LOL. I am sooo lost right now and trying to find a direction. I am learning through reading through the Features of the month. I need basics though...Any help???

Thank you all sooo much!

I woudl also like more info on the bootcamp regimen so somebody please post!
prchiquita as for suggestions Shampoos: Nioxin and Keracare are both popular. Those are the 2 I want to try. Here is my list of products I plan to try soon based on what I have read:

clarifying shamppoo: elucence, keracare 1st lather
conditioner: nexxuss humectress, 10 en 1, keracare humecto
protein: nexxuss emergencee, aphogee

As for oils i
alternate between EVOO and castor but based on the board I think Castor is the ay to go.

A prepoo is what you put on your hair prior to shampooing, some leave it on overnight others just for awhile etc. But it can be anything from avocado,to conditioner to concotions made at home.

MTG is mane and Tail I think its for horses.

Bagggying is putting a moisturizer on your hair and then covering with a plastic bag. This can be done to the whole head or more commonly to a ponytail.

Hope that helps!

Hello, I'm new here also. My hair is sholder length and my goal is arpit. I need to thicken and add strenth to my hair. I'm trying to gather a routine from all the great tips. However, I don't like to deal with my hair!! I need the least time consuming routines. I don't mind pre-pooing everyday, but I don't want to blow try my hair or sit under the dryer everyday either... Bottom line is I need help. Anyone with less time consuming and effective routines for my hair type (4a)??? Help

Hi, I'm pretty new two...Like a week old..LOL...Anyways I'm a 26 year old housewife with a husband and a 9 year old..So, my days are pretty full..But I would love to start a hair care journey with you...I'll add you to my favorite peoples list...My hair is currently the same length now as it is in the picture, just a little longer in the front...So, let's do this thing...

1. Pre-poo with Queen Helene Super with carrot oil and olive oil (made by Hollywood Beauty) Sit with a hot towel wrapped around my head for 15 min. (I don't own a hood dryer YET)
2. Shampoo with Silk Elements Luxury Shampoo twice
3. Apply Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol and wrap hair in hot towel covered with plastic cap for 30 minutes...Rinse, rinse, rinse
4. Apply IC Fantasia Leave-in Conditioner for Extra Dry Hair to four sections of my hair individually
5. Blow dry with an ionic, ceramic hair dryer using a round brush and concentrator
6. Apply Vitale's Mo Body Botanical Creme Hairdress to four sections
7. Curl or flat iron with ionic, ceramic flat iron/curling iron

I'm learning how to dry roll so I will keep you updated on how this goes.

So, there you are and welcome to the boards...I hope you recieve as warm a welcome as I did.:drunk:

Hi, I am pretty new too. my hair has been damaged because of my heat obsession (used to flat iron almost everyday), and lack of moisture and protein. My goal is apl by early to mid 09, preferably early.

HI ALL YOU MILITARY LADIES! I might see if we can get a military ladies support group going. We have special needs, having to pull our hair back constantly, deployment, pt, etc.

Ok so this is what I do:

DC with protein 2x week (ors hair mayo)
detangle 1x week (doing a 16 week stretch, I am now 8 weeks post)(creme of nature)
DC with moisture 2x week(keracare humecto, ors replinish pak)
seal moisture every night(profectiv, sunsilk, ors olive oil on ends, coconut oil)
Pre poo 1x week(pantene pro-v relaxed and natural, hollywood beauty castor oil, cholesteral conditioner)
co wash 2x week(kera care dry and itchy scalp)

Oh I perm with affirm for sensitive scalps.

Still waiting on a few hair products like castor oil, clarifying shampoo, and henna. I can't wait to start my henna and clarifying. I am hoping this will be the last stuff I need to finally stop the breakage. It has improved so much just from what I do now and my hair is stronger and softer.

The best thing I have started since joining has been to dc with protein on dry hair with heat and sealing moisture. I always air dry, if I use heat (when I was home, not deployed) I just flat iron no blow dryer, that tears hair up to bad. I would lose so much doing that, :nono:

Lissamz: Your hair looks very healthy you are well on your way!

I'm with you about busy days! I am on mat leave with a 6 month old baby and I have 2 older girls and I'm in school although lately I have been on here more than I have been doing my school work!

What's a dry roll? Rollersetting on dry hair? Let me know how that goes, I cannot rollerset for my life so I am sticking to wash n' wear and for the moment using wigs.

Kawaii1: Are you washing daily? I'm too afraid to try that because everytime I wash I lose hairs. My hair is damaged at the moment and I am experiencing alot of breakage.

Call me stupid :grin: but what is the claryfing shampoo, it's purpose and how often should I do it? Also, Is pre-poo different from Co-wash?

clarifying shampoo: removes buildup from all the product you use regularly should be doen about every 4-6 weeks.

Prepoo and cowash are not the same. I explained prepoo earlier and cowash is wehn you use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair. Conditioner has cleaning agents and is less drying than shampoo so some ppl do co washes istead of reg. shampoo

Hope that helps.

clarifying shampoo: removes buildup from all the product you use regularly should be doen about every 4-6 weeks.

Prepoo and cowash are not the same. I explained prepoo earlier and cowash is wehn you use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair. Conditioner has cleaning agents and is less drying than shampoo so some ppl do co washes istead of reg. shampoo

Hope that helps.

Shirah, thanks for clarifying that...hee hee

Lissamz: Your hair looks very healthy you are well on your way!

I'm with you about busy days! I am on mat leave with a 6 month old baby and I have 2 older girls and I'm in school although lately I have been on here more than I have been doing my school work!

What's a dry roll? Rollersetting on dry hair? Let me know how that goes, I cannot rollerset for my life so I am sticking to wash n' wear and for the moment using wigs.

Kawaii1: Are you washing daily? I'm too afraid to try that because everytime I wash I lose hairs. My hair is damaged at the moment and I am experiencing alot of breakage.

Thanks a lot for the comments. I tried out the roller set last night what I did was: Dampen each section Elasta QP H-TWO and sealed it with Vitale Botanical Hairdress, then I rolled it up on satin cover mesh rollers. This morning it turned out good, except the ends wanted to flip out and I wanted them under, so after fighting with the hair and the brush:ohwell:. I finally gave up and ponytailed it. (another) :ohwell: I don't know if I'm doing it tonight since I'm washing tomorrow.

Hi everyone. I too am a newbie. I currently have about chin length hair, maybe a little longer. My goal is SL. My hair has been SL before so I know I can make it there. It's just about being patient. My ultimate goal is BSL. Anyway, I think my hair type is 95% 4b and 5% 4a (mostly in the front, if at all). Currently, I prepoo, wash, deep condition and air dry roller set once per week. I've tried con washes and I'm not sure about them yet. I love scalp massages. I learned from one of the great threads on here to mix rosemary and peppermint oil together along with Jojoba as a carrier and apply it to my scalp for a nice massage. I think it's filling in a thin spot that I had on my top left side (hope I'm not being delusional, LOL). :grin:

Nope! On sunday I do all my hair stuff, dc/protein, detangle, dc moisture. then I don't wash again until tuesday but that is a co wash. Thursday I wash; dc/protein and then a moisture dc(no shampoo). Then I either do another co wash on friday or saturday but I usually skip those days depends on what I have to do. I exercise a lot and I am in a very dry climate so my ng always feels dry. Plus I am in a stretch right now so I am taking extra care of my demarcation line.

To all who has answered my questions and then some! Trust me I am taking some good notes here. Still no word on the LHCF Bootcamp regimen though.... help!!

Lissamz: Next time you do the rollerset can you post pics? I woudl love to see how it looks. I think I may try it in a few months when my hair is stronger. Right now I still have alot of breakage so I really don't want to manipulate it too much.

Welcome Lilakoi’s_Sister. How did you do your conwash? I'm thinking about trying it because I do find the shampoo is drying. I'm too lazy for scalp massages although I am considering trying MN.

Kawaii1 you sound like you really have it together!! Do you have any advice on a moisturizing shampoo?

Is anyone using CON shampoo?

prchiquita: How do I add you as a friend?

It's my birthday today! but anyways, I haven't really been checking for a LHCF 2008 Bootcamp; I'll probably look a little later on when I have some free time.

Lissamz: Next time you do the rollerset can you post pics? I woudl love to see how it looks. I think I may try it in a few months when my hair is stronger. Right now I still have alot of breakage so I really don't want to manipulate it too much.

Welcome Lilakoi’s_Sister. How did you do your conwash? I'm thinking about trying it because I do find the shampoo is drying. I'm too lazy for scalp massages although I am considering trying MN.

Kawaii1 you sound like you really have it together!! Do you have any advice on a moisturizing shampoo?

Hi. :grin:

Shirah, I basically just wet my hair and put some Nexxus Humectress on my hair, combed it through, put a shower cap on, did all my other stuff, and then rinsed out the conditioner. I left it on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes. The first time I did it, it was good, my hair was soft. But I did it a couple weeks ago and I was 6 weeks post relaxer then. So I'm thinking my hair doesn't like it when it's almost time for me to relax? :perplexed

ETA: A couple weeks ago my hair was hard after the con wash.

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm new to the board too.Just like you I've been reading and asking questions. I'm trying to avoid being a product junkie so Im trying to find some staple products that will work for me. I found some tips on what is needed in a good regime so I'll be making a check list and going from there. I've began expermenting a little and so far..I think this is going to be a challnge for me...I have really thick hair but im up for the challenge if it means having "healthy thick beautiful hair" in the future.

I hope the best for all of us and that we reach our goals. :dance7:

Once I find what works for me or tips i'll post them.

I added you as a friend Shirah. I love this forum BTW!!!

Thanks, I'm trying. I really like Kera Care humecto and the dry and itchy scalp. I tried that after reading about MaCherie's hair products. Her hair is so beautiful, I want hair like hers. She does instructional dvds and has a website and everything. Her hair is gorgeous. :love2:

What does ETA stand for?

Lilakoi’s_Sister: For the con wash I th9ink you are supposed to lather up like it's shampoo then rinse and then apply conditioner again for your deep conditioning treatment. So that you are using conditioner instead of shampoo . Your routine sounded like you just skipped the shampoo and went into cinditioning.

Kawaii1: I also love macherie's hair and website!!

What does ETA stand for?

Lilakoi’s_Sister: For the con wash I th9ink you are supposed to lather up like it's shampoo then rinse and then apply conditioner again for your deep conditioning treatment. So that you are using conditioner instead of shampoo . Your routine sounded like you just skipped the shampoo and went into cinditioning.

Kawaii1: I also love macherie's hair and website!!

ETA stands for edited to add (if I'm not mistaken).

Shirah, I'm glad you told me that cause I was just putting some conditioner in my hair, combing it through and letting it sit for a few minutes w/ a cap on. Duhhh that would explain why it wasn't working. So you basically apply conditioner twice once like a shampoo and the second time with deep conditioning. I will try it. :grin:

Well, a minor setback in my hair journey...

I've been doing everything I need to in order to grow long, luscious, locks: DC, stretching, low-manipulation, HYH, no heat, etc. but I think I just sat myself right back to step one today, I self-relaxed and it was horrible! I coated the hair with EVOO to prevent over-lapping, I based my scalp, and parted my hair. After that, I started relaxing and everything went downhill from there. I overlapped eay too much because I was parting with the same hands I was smoothing with, so by the time it was all in, there was relaxer everywhere!:wallbash: So, I ran (literally ran) to the kitchen and washed it out, I still have these roots and now I'm going to get major breakage. But I gave myself a protein treatment and a DC, so I think I won't loose all my hair, just 75%...oh well. Back to the drawing board.:ohwell:

I'm new too and I guess I'm feeling really confused. I've tried posting a few times with questions, but no one ever really answers. Feeling very discouraged right now. My hair is dry and breaking - I just cut it into a short bob to try and get a handle on it and start to grow it out healthy. I'm just overwhelmed and wishing this process would come a lot easier. I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one just starting out though...:sad:

I am new too, I have only been on the this site for a few weeks. I am 20yrs old and a Jr. in nursing school. I am still trying to get my hair under control and follow a good solid reggie (this is so hard cause I want to get good quality products but I am on a college student budget). I want to start taking care of my own hair just because I think it would be good if i knew how and also because my stylist is preggy....lol:drunk:.

*Luscious*Locked*Doc: Don't feel confused. Just take it one day at a time. Also, bump up your post maybe one of the vets on LHCF will see it.:yep:

Back