Weekly black rinses?

Barbie83

I've been searching old threads and I couldn't find enough satisfying answers to this question.....:ohwell:

I really love black hair and would love to keep it that way all the time, but my rinses never last beyond maybe 2 washes. (I shampoo and DC once a week and co-wash once a week).

Here is the brand I use:
colorbrilliance2jpg.png

• So rich and conditioning that it can be used immediately after a chemical relaxer or texturizer service.
  • The no ammonia, no peroxide formula can last 4-8 shampoos depending on porosity.
  • Panthenol Pro-Vitamin B-5 for moisture retention
  • Silk Protein for silky smoothness
  • Jojoba oil for softness
  • Aloe Vera for added moisture
  • Vitamin E for scalp conditioning
Would it be overkill to use this once a week when I shampoo? My hair always feels a little stronger when I use it (almost like after a light protein treatment) and I make sure to use a moisturizing condish afterwards to regain softness.

Is there something I'm doing to sabotage my results? Would once a week (or maybe every two weeks) eventually damage my hair?

If so, what things could I add to my routine to make the color take more and last longer? (besides sit under the dryer with it--I already do that :))

TIA! :grin:

I sure HOPE they're not played out because I can't live without them :grin:

I remember reading some threads where some women said they put them in every two weeks. I can't recommend it or say it would hurt because I've never done them that often.

Also, I have a red x on the picture of your rinse so I don't know the brand. What brand is it? I can't imagine a rinse only lasting a week.

It's ION Color Brilliance. After the 2nd wash, I'm basically brown again. Perhaps my hair is not porous enough? Or maybe I'm making the color slide off by DC'ing right after? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong :\

I had this same problem and I love my black rinses. I've since started using henna and indigo for jet black hair and it lasts much longer than the rinse.

I just used Bigen Oriental Black. It's permanent, but it doesn't have Ammonia or Peroxide. I absolutely LOVE my color. It's stark black, and absolutely beautiful!
I'm not sure about rinsing so often. I'd be a little afraid, but that's just because I'm a little paranoid when it comes to my hair.

From what I have read here, I think it is okay to do rinses every week or two, because if there is no peroxide or ammonia, there is no damage done because the cuticle is not being lifted. A rinse is like colored water. I can so relate to you OP. My hair is a natural brown/reddish color and I hate the color. I love black hair and after 1-2 washes my rinse is gone, boo. I use colorshowers now and I love the way it makes my hair feel, I think it is safe enought to use every other week or even weekly but I just don't have time, no siree. Have you thought about a demi. I just bought Clairol Natural Instincts that is supposed to last 28 shampoos, but it does have peroxide, so I am kinda scared to use it.

OP- is your hair resistant to relaxers by any chance? If yes- you might have low porosity. I do and I think that is part of the reason my rinses don't last. I am theorizing that if I used the demi, the peroxide might allow the color to penetrate my cuticles.

Last edited:
From what I have read here, I think it is okay to do rinses every week or two, because if there is no peroxide or ammonia, there is no damage done because the cuticle is not being lifted. A rinse is like colored water. I can so relate to you OP. My hair is a natural brown/reddish color and I hate the color. I love black hair and after 1-2 washes my rinse is gone, boo. I use colorshowers now and I love the way it makes my hair feel, I think it is safe enought to use every other week or even weekly but I just don't have time, no siree. Have you thought about a demi. I just bought Clairol Natural Instincts that is supposed to last 28 shampoos, but it does have peroxided, so I am kinda scared to use it.

OP- is your hair resistant to relaxers by any chance? If yes- you might have low porosity. I do and I think that is part of the reason my rinses don't last. I am theorizing that if I used the demi, the peroxide might allow the color to penetrate my cuticles.

Thats a very good point----I have thought about my hair's porosity, but the thing is, my hair takes very well to relaxers, so I'm not so sure. I was thinking of replacing my weekly shampoo with Porosity Control shampoo, thought maybe that would help it......:perplexed

I've been searching old threads and I couldn't find enough satisfying answers to this question.....:ohwell:

I really love black hair and would love to keep it that way all the time, but my rinses never last beyond maybe 2 washes. (I shampoo and DC once a week and co-wash once a week).

Here is the brand I use:
colorbrilliance2jpg.png

• So rich and conditioning that it can be used immediately after a chemical relaxer or texturizer service.
  • The no ammonia, no peroxide formula can last 4-8 shampoos depending on porosity.
  • Panthenol Pro-Vitamin B-5 for moisture retention
  • Silk Protein for silky smoothness
  • Jojoba oil for softness
  • Aloe Vera for added moisture
  • Vitamin E for scalp conditioning
Would it be overkill to use this once a week when I shampoo? My hair always feels a little stronger when I use it (almost like after a light protein treatment) and I make sure to use a moisturizing condish afterwards to regain softness.

Is there something I'm doing to sabotage my results? Would once a week (or maybe every two weeks) eventually damage my hair?

If so, what things could I add to my routine to make the color take more and last longer? (besides sit under the dryer with it--I already do that :))

TIA! :grin:

I just left a rinse in my hair for over 24 hours and boy did the color take! and it did nothing to my hair, feels great. I think thats how I'm going to be doing it from now on

I dont think a rinse will cause a problem just follow up with lots of moisture:yep:

I just left a rinse in my hair for over 24 hours and boy did the color take! and it did nothing to my hair, feels great. I think thats how I'm going to be doing it from now on

I dont think a rinse will cause a problem just follow up with lots of moisture:yep:

Thanks! I may try that :)

I just used Bigen Oriental Black. It's permanent, but it doesn't have Ammonia or Peroxide. I absolutely LOVE my color. It's stark black, and absolutely beautiful!
I'm not sure about rinsing so often. I'd be a little afraid, but that's just because I'm a little paranoid when it comes to my hair.

I have natural hair and I think I woul dlike to try this. Does Sally's carry it?

I love the way my hair feels after the Ion rinse, but the color rinses right down the drain immediately. The company needs to check on that.

Try using Adore semi-perm on dry hair for about an hour (I didn't use heat). That baby will stick.

I have this same problem and have been considering doing the same thing... I use KISS semi permanent and the color is usually gone after 2 washes :ohwell:

Well, I'm certainly glad I'm not the only one experiencing this! I thought there was something wrong with my technique.

I love Ion, but I think I may have to start interviewing other brands until I find a better candidate......:ohwell:

I've never tried ION but I do remember having the problem before with rinses. I gave up on Jazzing years ago and gave up on Clairol's Beautiful collection for the same reasons.

However, now I'm using either Adore or Via and they seem to last a really long time. But if you clarify often then it will wash it away much faster. I only color after I clarify now and that helps it last longer. But I agree, if you clarify every two weeks like I do then it will start to fade.

So I may start doing it every couple of weeks also to get that original shiny black bling going.

I use Clairol Beautiful Collection and had the same problem until I increased my protein to weekly protein/moisture conditioner. My hair holds both moisture and color ALOT better. I apply color every 3 - 4 weeks.

If you like actual true black rinses you might try Clairols Advanced Gray Solution because it covers better and would last much longer I'm sure.

I love the way my hair feels after the Ion rinse, but the color rinses right down the drain immediately. The company needs to check on that.

Try using Adore semi-perm on dry hair for about an hour (I didn't use heat). That baby will stick.

ITA with the bolded.
KISS express is also a good alternative to the ION, for me, the results last WAY longer.

Bigen....I will make a note to try this.

This technique sounds like something I would try to see if my rinse lasts longer. I just bought Color Brilliance Blackest Black yesterday for the first time, to do sometime before Thanksgiving. Hope it lasts longer then some others.

I have a theory. If you use a porosity corrector before applying the color, the color will last longer, because you've prepped the strands to absorb the hair? What do you think?

My hair has been jetblack for years! Last time I rinsed, I used these:
http://www.clairolpro.com/files/swatches/Jazz_Collection_Swatches.pdf

I mixed Mood Indigo and Bluest black...It came out so dark and rich:lick:. I did it about 2mo ago and my hair is still black as hell lol.

But I hate the bleeding on my scarf/pillowcase so next time I'm using this: http://www.bluebeez.com/644-2454/CARELLIUS_Cellpphane__Natural_Colors_/_Conditioner_Hair_5.3_oz.

I also clear rinse for shine. And I mix them all with conditioner/oil

Bigen....I will make a note to try this.

This technique sounds like something I would try to see if my rinse lasts longer. I just bought Color Brilliance Blackest Black yesterday for the first time, to do sometime before Thanksgiving. Hope it lasts longer then some others.

I have a theory. If you use a porosity corrector before applying the color, the color will last longer, because you've prepped the strands to absorb the hair? What do you think?
Well I can report back it's been several weeks now and it's just now beginning to fade some, the little grays are looking gold:grin: but it seems like it stained my hair long term, I dunno just have to continue to see

But I will be doing it this way from now on, it worked great:yep:

The Aveda Color Deposit conditioners really work. When I was trying to keep my hard black. I would use Aveda Black Malva conditioner, the conditioner actually is black, I would DC for 15 minutes, then add a moisture DC and DC for another 15 min and my rinses would last for 4-5 weeks easily.

Now I am doing chocolate rinses and use Aveda Clove Conditioner( it looks like brown pudding)- and my hair stays brown.

Last edited:
Well I use a permanent dye in between my relaxer REVLON COLORSILK (I believe) #10 black, which softens my hair up as well, I use Jazzing right after my relaxers though in Ebony that last for about 4-6 weeks, I am happy about. :)

I experienced some drying after using bigen, it's like they changed the old formula from 15 years ago, like everything else. But I found the color faded off the rest of my hair, which was the reason I tried something new, Revlon colorsilk has been great no fading and last long!

I too am looking for another rinse though that could be used instead of Jazzing because at almost $7 a pop and I still have to pay for it to be put in when I get a rollerset full price. So that stinks!

Well I can report back it's been several weeks now and it's just now beginning to fade some, the little grays are looking gold:grin: but it seems like it stained my hair long term, I dunno just have to continue to see

But I will be doing it this way from now on, it worked great:yep:

Thanks for reporting back! i think I will try this method the next time I do a rinse. :yep: At any point during the 24 hours did you use heat? Or did you just slap it on and let it do it's thing?

My hair has been jetblack for years! Last time I rinsed, I used these:
http://www.clairolpro.com/files/swatches/Jazz_Collection_Swatches.pdf

I mixed Mood Indigo and Bluest black...It came out so dark and rich:lick:. I did it about 2mo ago and my hair is still black as hell lol.

But I hate the bleeding on my scarf/pillowcase so next time I'm using this: http://www.bluebeez.com/644-2454/CARELLIUS_Cellpphane__Natural_Colors_/_Conditioner_Hair_5.3_oz.

I also clear rinse for shine. And I mix them all with conditioner/oil
Beaute Noire do you mind me asking if whether or not you have ever used this brand before? I plan on purchasing my Mizani relaxer from bluebeez and would love to try the rinse in black.
tia,
tishee

Ladies,

this is the best black short-term color I've found:
51152_L_12Q_vvs.jpg

http://www.iherb.com/Surya-Henna-Br...ir-Treatment-Black-2-31-fl-oz-70-ml/7903?at=0

Surya Henna Brasil Cream in BLACK (not pictured)
available at Whole Foods stores and health food stores (U.S.).

Like OP, my hair also does not accept color for long at all, and this one lasted noticeably for about 6 washes.

Now, it does contain chemicals--it is NOT a pure henna pre-mixed for you. However, it does not contain ammonia or peroxide.

I grew up with henna and indigo in my family/culture, but it's an arduous mess to use and I'm too much of a bum to do it more than once every 2 years. Plus, people here saying it streightened out their curls has put me further off pure henna/indigo.

This is MUCH better for me--- smells okay, applies clean and neat right out the tube, no mixing, and leaves my hair much shiner and healthier looking for the first few washes afterward!

But do note that I'm not an "all-natural" person; I love chemicals! :)

Last edited:
Back