WATER WORKS 2007

CurliDiva

Here is a summer challenge for the strong willed among US…..........please bear with me as I challenge all takers to go against the one of the top commandments of old school BLACK haircare…..

GIRL - THOU SHALL NOT WET UR HAIR OFTEN!:eek:

That’s right… ...the challenge is a daily rinsing, daily con wash or daily shampoo for the entire summer 2007- you pick. By the way – tomorrow June 21st is the first day of summer! :grin: Yeah!!!

Are you doing this already? Could you try it for the entire summer!

I know we had many threads/posts in the past where people either LOVE the practice or HATE the idea – guess which group I want to hear from. ;) Just kidding…but in all seriousness:

Daily WETTING / WASHING of the hair and scalp is reported to aid in hair growth and hair health by:
  • Keeping scalp clean, stimulated and unclogged
  • Keeping strands pilable, softer and moisturized (remeber water is the ultimate moisturizer - and the number ONE ingredient in most hair products)

So are there any WW (water works) Takers? If so, what’s your plan of action?

Let’s encourage each other along the way! :)

The rules are simple:

WET your hair (by rinsing, conditioner wash, or shampooing) everyday from June 21st to Sept 23rd. If you miss a day, just pick up where you left off!

PARTICIPANTS: (please PM me if I missed your name)
CurliDiva
Angellazette
Afrolinda
Bgyrl
Bravenewgirl87
Brockstar
Carnella25
Chanel'sTresses
Christa438
Cholet112
CocoKitty
CountryGal
Dedra
Designer05
EbonyHairPrincess
Galleta
Gelati
GuessWho
HairIam
Hericane10
HotHair
Imstush
JadedFarie
Juicy555
LaLaLauren
Leach381
LeslieC
Missvi
Ms Brown76
Ms Jennifer
Ms Twana
NappyParadise
Nappybella
Nice & Wavy
OnceUponAtime
Rdm
Reslnt1
SensibleSita
SerenityPeace
Sha76
SoSoChic
SunnyDelight
SweetMarshCrystal
TaraDyan
Taraglam2
Tenejit10473
Tnorenberg
TSmith
TT8
Wishin4BSL

Here is great tip from TSmith:
"I WANTED TO ADD FOR THOSE THAT ARE OPTING TO SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR DAILY. DO NOT! I REPEAT...DO NOT! APPLY THE SHAMPOO TO THE LAST 3 OR 4 INCHES OF YOUR HAIR. THIS CAUSES YOUR ENDS TO BECOME DRY, THEREFORE RESULTING IN SPLIT ENDS. ONLY CONCENTRATE ON GETTING YOUR SCALP CLEAN AND ALSO FOR THE DAILY CO WASHES MAKE SURE TO CLARIFY OFTEN."

Last edited:
Count Me In! I Love daily Cw's, My plan is to Cw Daily with Coconut Conditioner and apply only Bioloage Daily Leave In Tonic! I have been slacking on the CW but I am in, How Long will this last? I do it all year round but I need to get back on it Daily!!

Count me in! I sometimes go every 2 or 3 days when Im lazy, but my hair behaves best when I do it daily...especially when my new growth is out of control like it is now. It keeps it from getting dry like the desert and it stays soft.

Can we have one or two passes though for progress checks? Or maybe I can wait that long and be pleasantly suprised by the length when its straightened by the end of the summer.;)

i would love to do this, but starting out i will have to just co-wash every other day because i don't have a lot of time to do this every day.

I will join this challenge! I wet my hair every 2-3 days, but I wouldn't mind doing it every day. I think it would help a lot.

Count me in. Every time I get in the shower my head automatically tilts back towards the water, whether I want it to or not...

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I'd love to do this daily but my hair doesn't like co-washing :(

What about a daily ACV rinse with followed by a leave-in conditioner with or without oil and a once a week 'poo wash?

I've done this before with good results using a very light leave-in.

Count me in! I love water my hair loves co washes, so I'm down I do this sometimes everyday or every other day and just add lacio lacio leave-in and bun it and I'm out! So I'm so down for this, its starts tomorrow right? First day of summer.

I wish I could do this, but, I blow dry my hair. I think twice a week is enough heat for my ends. Not to mention the fact that hubby is already complaining about the increase in towel usage. (He does the laundry.)

This sounds like a good challenge to me! I have one question though...if I wanted to do the daily co-wash, what are some options for conditioners that would not contain protein, because I do not want to pick the wrong type and overload on protein? Also, I have another question...does anyone experience any shedding problems, combing you hair while it's wet on a daily basis?

Good luck ladies!

I wish I could join...I looooove to poo and condition my hair. I just don't like all the work after...LOL! I don't mind twice a week, but daily trying to figure out what to do with it for work...fuhgetaboutit!!!!!

so so chic said:
This sounds like a good challenge to me! I have one question though...if I wanted to do the daily co-wash, what are some options for conditioners that would not contain protein, because I do not want to pick the wrong type and overload on protein? Also, I have another question...does anyone experience any shedding problems, combing you hair while it's wet on a daily basis?

I *heart* Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner. Plenty of moisture and slip. This is the only conditioner that works for me to co wash with. When I used suave or vo5 (various kinds), my hair didnt like it.

I dont comb my hair every day. I usually finger comb it/scrunch/fluff. When and if I do comb, its under running water in the shower while washing the conditioner out and occasionally Ill do after my wash with leave in when it needs a good detangling. Usually Ill do one or both once a week. Ill lightly smooth the edges every day and put it back in a headband or in a clip and thats about it.

I'm in! I've been doing this basically for about 2-3 weeks and my hair has done a complete turnaround! I usually co-wash or just run water through my hair, put some conditioner on the ends then bun and go. I'm hoping by the end of July to be close to brastrap

Thanks...I'm going to try that today!

Leslie_C said:
I *heart* Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner. Plenty of moisture and slip. This is the only conditioner that works for me to co wash with. When I used suave or vo5 (various kinds), my hair didnt like it.

I dont comb my hair every day. I usually finger comb it/scrunch/fluff. When and if I do comb, its under running water in the shower while washing the conditioner out and occasionally Ill do after my wash with leave in when it needs a good detangling. Usually Ill do one or both once a week. Ill lightly smooth the edges every day and put it back in a headband or in a clip and thats about it.

I am in. I love cw and since I have been doing it every few days it has made my hair so soft. I can do it everyday no problem especially with my wash n go (cw n go). I used the VO5 smoothie conditioner and my hair loves it and my wallet loves it even more. I love LHCF!!!

I am in...but I can't start right now. I'm sick and leaving the house with a wet head is not the smartest thing right now. Maybe in a couple of days.:(

I'm in!!. My hair is in braids but it really thrived during my last 6week braid session with all the moisture I pampered it with:lol: :lol: .

Great Ladies!

This is challenge is just for the summer months, but if your hair loves it keep going!

I think most people use a light conditioners (ex. Suave, Dove, Vo5) to avoid build up - but the main point is to wet your hair dialy.

This feels so fresh and should also help me Use-Up-My-Products!:D

Let's post weekly check-ins with progress updates.

CurliDiva said:
Here is a summer challenge for the strong willed among US…..........please bear with me as I challenge all takers to go against the one of the top commandments of old school BLACK haircare…..

That’s right… ...the challenge is a daily rinsing, daily con wash or daily shampoo for the entire summer 2007- you pick. By the way – tomorrow June 21st is the first day of summer! :grin: Yeah!!!

I know we had many threads/posts in the past where people either LOVE the practice or HATE the idea – guess which group I want to hear from. ;) Just kidding…but in all seriousness:

Daily WETTING / WASHING of the hair and scalp is reported to aid in hair growth and hair health by:
  • Keeping strands pilable, softer and moisturized (remeber water is the ultimate moisturizer - and the number ONE ingredient in most hair products)

Good luck ladies on your challenge. I want me joining you for daily washes. I did notice a lot of growth when I was frequently washing my hair. Conditioner washes are the bomb. Good challenge, CD.:)

CurliDiva said:

I'M IN...all I saw was WATER challenge but I'm in, I'm in...I love water. Okay, I'm going back to read the rules now...brb;) Okay,I'm going to do daily rinses and daily cowashes.(rotate between the two)

ETA: I WANTED TO ADD FOR THOSE THAT ARE OPTING TO SHAMPOO YOUR HAIR DAILY. DO NOT! I REPEAT...DO NOT! APPLY THE SHAMPOO TO THE LAST 3 OR 4 INCHES OF YOUR HAIR. THIS CAUSES YOUR ENDS TO BECOME DRY, THEREFORE RESULTING IN SPLIT ENDS. ONLY CONCENTRATE ON GETTING YOUR SCALP CLEAN AND ALSO FOR THE DAILY CO WASHES MAKE SURE TO CLARIFY OFTEN./B] CURLIDIVA WOULD YOU MIND PUTTING THAT IN THE RULES? THANKS!

Last edited:
Leslie_C said:

I'm in...started yesterday!

(at the bolded) I **heart** this too and I mix mine with a little Nacidit Avocado Rinse and massage it in.....ohhhhhh the slip and the smells are wonderful!!! :D

NappyParadise said:
Count Me In! I Love daily Cw's, My plan is to Cw Daily with Coconut Conditioner and apply only Bioloage Daily Leave In Tonic! I have been slacking on the CW but I am in, How Long will this last? I do it all year round but I need to get back on it Daily!!

What coconut conditioner, do you use?

so so chic said:

Suave Professional line Humecto conditioner is good and is actually my favorite for co washes. I use queen helene olive oil conditioner, cholesterol, shea butter conditioners. I use Vo5 moisture milks but I have to say I love my Suave Professional Line Humecto Conditioner and no I don't experience shedding because I ALWAYS use a wide tooth comb and I don't comb through my entire head. I just comb the last 5-6 inches so my hair won't be tangled. HTH;)

Me too! Me too!! Me too!!! so CW with Lustrasilk shea butter everyday and once a week shampoo and DC with Aveda DR line- :yep: works for me!

Back