Washing hair promotes growth?

sweetdaises2000

Does washing hair promote hair growth? I've heard it does but how exactly does taht occur? I wash my hair every 2 weeks or so is that not enough? I just want my facts straight.Thanks a lot! /images/graemlins/smile.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

I dont know if it promotes actual 'growth' but I can say that with my hair it keeps it moisturized therefore allowing my hair to retain the length and not break as much.

I say to try washing more frequently and see how your hair responds to it.

well im no expert but im assuming it has been said that washing ur hair alot promotes hair growth is cuz u r keeping the scalp clean. and if u keep the scalp clean u r allowing the hair to come through the scalp with no resistance such as grease or dirt or whatever. But if u wash ur hair a lot and dont condition properly ur hair is sure to break so no length is gained. but from this board i c taking vitamins and eating healthier especially drnking a lot of water has made a lot of the women here hair groooow.

My .03 cents.....

I think that it is the events and affects associated with washing that MAY promote growth. I mean the removal of sebum and dirt that may be clogging pores and inhibiting growth. Also, if one massages the scalp while "washing", it benefits the follicles, which would help with growth.

This would mean that it doesn't matter HOW one "washes", as long as the affect is the same. I only wash with shampoo when it's time to retouch, so my hair will only see shampoo approx. 4 times per year. However, my hair and scalp are still clean and my hair IS growing. I just need to stop cutting it! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Swimmers say their hair grows very fast, and anyone who has done sinks of dishes know that their nails grow to a claw in about a week. Why moisture makes hair and nails grow faster, I don't know. ...But it's cheap, easy, and all around beneficial, so I'm not complaining about this delightful fact. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know that a lot of people don't believe in the "water grows hair" thing, but some of that is rooted in (no pun intended) not wanting to "fuzz up" one's hair style.

The moisture from water helps me retain my growth and I believe it does help it grow some what. Our bodies are made up mostly of water so I think it thives. In the summer when it is humid my hair grows much quicker. Since I've been shampooing or rinsing 3 or more times a week, my hair has grown just as much as it does in the summer.

In addition to what has been said, I also think that the benefits of hair conditioners only last for a few days, so when you wash more frequently, you are constantly maintaining the effectiveness of your products and not allowing them to lose their potency on the hair. I think there is something to be said for continually feeding your hair with good shampoos and conditioners in less time than a 2 week period /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I notice, personally that if I wash my hair 3 times a week as opposed to twice a week it makes that much more different to the amount of hair growth i have. I don't know if it has anything to do with the stimulation of the scalp during the shampooing, but I the more I wash the sooner my touch ups even if I've had a crappy month on supplements and with my diet.

i think it is the combonation of moisturizing the hair with water, massaging the scalp and keeping the scalp clean is contributing to the growth. not really the shampoo. you don't even need shampoo, a light conditioner should be fine just as long as you do not use a lot of heavy products.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I dont know if it promotes actual 'growth' but I can say that with my hair it keeps it moisturized therefore allowing my hair to retain the length and not break as much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same goes for me. I wash more often than I used to, and it's been great for me. I think it definately aids in promoting healthy growth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In response to

Poster: pebbles
Subject: Re: Washing hair promotes growth?

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same goes for me. I wash more often than I used to, and it's been great for me. I think it definately aids in promoting healthy growth.

I agree 100%. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Since I have been washing my hair every other day w/ conditioner, my hair has been gorgeous! /images/graemlins/grin.gif It is so soft and flowing. I love this moisture thing /images/graemlins/weird.gif

Since I have been washing my hair every other day w/ conditioner, my hair has been gorgeous! /images/graemlins/grin.gif It is so soft and flowing. I love this moisture thing /images/graemlins/weird.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Titansgirl,

I'm glad to hear it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I wish I had known all of this years ago. I could have been so far by now... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

My .02 cents...when I first joined this board that is all I read about was keeping the hair moisturized and eliminating heat. So I begin to wash or just rinse my hair twice a week and eliminated all heat except for conditioning. Doing this greatly improved the condition of my hair quickly. The breaking and shedding stopped.

My .02 cents...when I first joined this board that is all I read about was keeping the hair moisturized and eliminating heat. So I begin to wash or just rinse my hair twice a week and eliminated all heat except for conditioning. Doing this greatly improved the condition of my hair quickly. The breaking and shedding stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif That's great to hear, Nita. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/images/graemlins/bookworm.gif Did a little research, and washing hair promotes growth because the water stimulates and massages scalp, shower heads with adjustable pulsation aids this process.

One day on this board and you're already full of knowledge.
/images/graemlins/spank.gif get back to your studies. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

**whispers** Thanks for the info bye the way /images/graemlins/clap.gif

LOL, /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Let the girl drop some knowledge on us LD! She's coming out of her shell!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

pebbles said:
LOL, /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Let the girl drop some knowledge on us LD! She's coming out of her shell!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good I'm glad about that. Very glad indeed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

To be honest, I think water helps a GREAT deal with hair growth. I enjoy spraying it on my scalp everyday when I'm not wearing it in anything special. I also spray it on my hair too. But to answer your question, since I think water aids in hair growth, then you can't go wrong in washing it either! Just make sure that you are using moisturizing products, and that you let them hit your scalp. I recommend Profectiv's Break-Free, or their Root Health for this one.

I also think that more frequent washing aids in hair growth; and if not, then it definitely aids in stopping breakage. I used to only wash my hair every two weeks, and I had A LOT of breakage. I would have to constantly vacuum my bathroom floor. Since I've been washing it weekly, I've had remarkably less breakage!! I'm not sure if this can be attibuted to the protein treatments and/or reconstructors or deep conditioners I've been using, but all I know is that less breakage = retaining length, and that's my goal!! Whereas I used to dread hair wash day, now I look forward to it!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

shower heads with adjustable pulsation aids this process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that type of shower head, Almond Delight, and boy does the massaging action feel good on the scalp.

I agree Karonica, I wash and deep condition my hair more frequently and notice a difference also. Sometimes I'll use the Root Health cream and add peppermint oil. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

so let me make sure i am getting this correct. one average amount of times people wash their hair here is 2x a week and some people do condition washes? i think i may do this. i have a lot of conditioners i bought on a whim and people here are always recommending so many conditioners that it would nice to use some of the old ones up. God bless you all.

I have a friend that has 4A relaxed hair down to her tailbone, and years ago she told me her secret was rinsing her hair everyday and applying conditioner and leaving it on until the next day. She uses the cheapest shampoo and conditioner she can find and does nothing else special. Long hair is not heriditary in her family and all her life her hair was short until she started doing this. I don't know why or how, but I believe that water has a lot to do with hair growth. I personally notice that the more often I wash my hair, the faster the new growth comes in.

i guess there must be something to it since a lot of people here do wash their hair frequently. i dont know if i can shampoo my hair everyday. i am assuming she was airdrying her hair when she did this? God bless you all.

Almond_Delight said:
/images/graemlins/bookworm.gif Did a little research, and washing hair promotes growth because the water stimulates and massages scalp, shower heads with adjustable pulsation aids this process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone notice that Caucasions wash their hair daily? Even curly hair whites have to contend with dryness but the daily wetting most definatly helps to keep their hair moist and as a result grow much longer.

I don't think it's necessary to use shampoo, especially since it can be so harsh and drying to the hair. A good daily rinse with a cheap conditoner can make a great difference.

I rinse everyday and I must say that my hair has been healthier and grows quicker now than ever before.

Since I have been washing my hair every other day w/ conditioner, my hair has been gorgeous! It is so soft and flowing. I love this moisture thing

So, true. Since I have been washing my hair every three days, I have noticed that I am retaining more length and am experiencing less dryness. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is sounding like it's proven to me, I had faster growth one summer without braids or weaves by leaving my hair natural, and doing conditioning rinses every other day and letting it dry either in twists or a ponytail(cause it was so hot) I didn't even realize it, maybe it wasn't just the heat but my hair went form chin+1 to just below shoulder. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm wearing a braided weave now and I moisterize with oil sheen blend sprays as well as pomades and oiling. I wash/condition my hair 2x when I take them down, wear it out then wash/ condition my hair again before I put it back up. mmmm /images/graemlins/think.gif I've got to do this again this summer.

daíly washing is too much for me but boy are my roots softer and thicker with washing every other day
shocked.gif
it is a thick bush and i am even finding it difficult to make partings
frown.gif
i am happy though
trampoline.gif

Back