Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

@LavenderMint

Look at the bottom for some botanical gels. Also look around at the top, it will show you some of the ingredients to avoid

Oh, THIS!! This is where/when I discovered Crece Pelo.
I remember doing this right after I combed out my locs & actually seeing my curl pattern for the first time. This was one of my very first wng way back in September 2015. Even that big twist was on a wng.
0A829144-54E1-4F87-8F74-5549CD202A77.jpeg
Then I did this wng in June 2016 for a school thing (made that costume too lol). My girls loved it because they never see Disney princesses that look like us, big kinky hair and all.
2E26794D-FD8F-474B-BF07-6D79CA0651CB.jpeg

looking back at all my IG posts, I mostly wore a wng for about 2 years after taking out my locs. I don’t remember when or why I changed from that.
I was giving the MHM a try & using KCKT & the KCCC (which I did not like much and haven’t tried since gaining this new knowledge). It’s so interesting to see how far my hair has come in five years, period, but especially my wng.

Oh, THIS!! This is where/when I discovered Crece Pelo.
I remember doing this right after I combed out my locs & actually seeing my curl pattern for the first time. This was one of my very first wng way back in September 2015. Even that big twist was on a wng.
View attachment 466805
Then I did this wng in June 2016 for a school thing (made that costume too lol). My girls loved it because they never see Disney princesses that look like us, big kinky hair and all.
View attachment 466807

looking back at all my IG posts, I mostly wore a wng for about 2 years after taking out my locs. I don’t remember when or why I changed from that.
I was giving the MHM a try & using KCKT & the KCCC (which I did not like much and haven’t tried since gaining this new knowledge). It’s so interesting to see how far my hair has come in five years, period, but especially my wng.
OMG i LOVE the second series of pictures! Just normal twists?
there's even matching shoes+ mini bows by the shoulders. Was it DIY'd??

OMG i LOVE the second series of pictures! Just normal twists?
there's even matching shoes+ mini bows by the shoulders. Was it DIY'd??
Thank you!!
Nope, that was a big, fluffy, days old wng lol I DIY’d the costume- the only part I didn’t make was the blue tank (and the shoes; there are diy shoe kits but they don’t come in my size). Which was why the wng was big & old lol instead of washing my hair, I was sewing.
It was a good day. My little girls all wanted to touch my hair, we talked about how their hair looks and they led a conversation about how you can have any kind of hair -or skin- and still be a princess.
....buuuuut it helps if you have your hair in a bun if it’s not out and bows are a must :look: Their rules lol (My students are 4-5yrs old inner city children)

Thank you!!
Nope, that was a big, fluffy, days old wng lol I DIY’d the costume- the only part I didn’t make was the blue tank (and the shoes; there are diy shoe kits but they don’t come in my size). Which was why the wng was big & old lol instead of washing my hair, I was sewing.
It was a good day. My little girls all wanted to touch my hair, we talked about how their hair looks and they led a conversation about how you can have any kind of hair -or skin- and still be a princess.
....buuuuut it helps if you have your hair in a bun if it’s not out and bows are a must :look: Their rules lol (My students are 4-5yrs old inner city children)
How fun! You're a good teacher. I'll be sure to keep those rules in mind :lol:

VictoriousBrownFlower's WNG's are to my taste too. She shared about a bow headband from Claire's which I should just go ahead and buy; DIY is not in my repertoire, and the ones at the dollar shop hurt !!
:flowers:

Now that I’ve purchased... let me check the ingredients :lachen:

Edit: the DC has silicones, so I’ll send to my sister. I don’t use refresher sprays, and this one has oil in the first 5 ingredients. Can’t see the ingredients to the shampoo.

Might have paid 60 for the gel! But I can use it! Happy new year to me!!!

Last edited:
I've used the Aunt Jackie's as a topper for the second time. I still need to work on the quantity. But it does what I need it to do. It helps me wng last for the 5 days I need it to. It doesn't look as polished as the ICH but that could be back to I don't know how much to use. So, I will be sticking to this for the remainder of January and re-evaluate as my hair gets longer. It's definitely worth the $7 I paid for it and it will last for months.

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my haircut. Here’s a comparison from my first time styling versus today’s wash and go. It’s hanging better.

I don’t think I’m going to write a negative review, but I’ll trim my own ends all 2021 and decide if I want to go back to Mona or someone else in 2022.

Happy New Year everyone!

1FE8113F-0E6D-40AD-839C-E69285456227.jpeg

Now that I’ve purchased... let me check the ingredients :lachen:

Edit: the DC has silicones, so I’ll send to my sister. I don’t use refresher sprays, and this one has oil in the first 5 ingredients. Can’t see the ingredients to the shampoo.

Might have paid 60 for the gel! But I can use it! Happy new year to me!!!
Are silicones part of the As no list?

You know... I’m not actually sure. I just don’t use sulfate shampoos enough to feel comfortable using silicones in my conditioner or styling products.
The As aren’t anti silicone. They are proponents of using the proper shampoo based on the products you use in your hair.
Makes sense. I use silicones a lot these days. I do clarify about once a month but for the most part I still use sulfate free shampoos.

Today is CCS day. Cleansed twice, conditioned and then applied my gels, UFD (Uncle Funky's) and Aunt Jackie's as a topper. Not sure I used enough topper but I will keep working on it. Diffused on cool and then on warm.

I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to wash mid-week or just stick to the weekend.

Finally starting to see some growth since my cut in November. My sides are starting to grow out and aren't as irritating.

I think the Aunt Jackie's is going to work out well. I actually think my hair looked better the older my hair got. We shall see.

I’ve been lurking in this thread for literally a year, lol. Finally going to join in the convo!

Is anyone doing the A’s 30 day hair detox??

I just started this morning, with a wash n go using UFD and ICH as a topper. They don’t really provide any expectations as to what the detox is supposed to do for your hair, but I’m hoping I’ll see some sort of improvement with respect to hydration and frizz.

I’ve been lurking in this thread for literally a year, lol. Finally going to join in the convo!

I just started this morning, with a wash n go using UFD and ICH as a topper. They don’t really provide any expectations as to what the detox is supposed to do for your hair, but I’m hoping I’ll see some sort of improvement with respect to hydration and frizz.
Welcome!

I did the detox in September I believe. My hair definition became much more defined, the curls clumped easily, my hair held moisture better, and it was super easy to detangle.

I got great results and continue to get great results from mostly following their guidance.

Welcome!

I did the detox in September I believe. My hair definition became much more defined, the curls clumped easily, my hair held moisture better, and it was super easy to detangle.

I got great results and continue to get great results from mostly following their guidance.
Thank you! That’s good to know! I’m looking forward to seeing my results at the end of the challenge.

I saw you said you use the kinky curly products. Do you ever get flaking with those? I tried the custard and had a white residue on my hair. Also do you use anything on top of the custard?

Thank you! That’s good to know! I’m looking forward to seeing my results at the end of the challenge.

I saw you said you use the kinky curly products. Do you ever get flaking with those? I tried the custard and had a white residue on my hair. Also do you use anything on top of the custard?
I use the knot today and curling custard. Nothing on top of the custard! I don’t get flakes, but there’s definitely a hard gel cast. I bet if I tried to scrunch out the crunch i would have white bits flying everywhere from the custard.

No residue, though!

I did it in March. It took about 90 days to detox and rehydrate. I just used whatever gel I had and I did CCS several days a week to rehydrate.

Welcome to the thread.

I did it in March. It took about 90 days to detox and rehydrate. I just used whatever gel I had and I did CCS several days a week to rehydrate.

Welcome to the thread.
Thank you!

Good to know it might require a commitment past the 30 days. How did you know your hair was rehydrated? Did you experience any obvious signs I can look out for? Do you still follow the “rules” of the detox?

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my haircut. Here’s a comparison from my first time styling versus today’s wash and go. It’s hanging better.

I don’t think I’m going to write a negative review, but I’ll trim my own ends all 2021 and decide if I want to go back to Mona or someone else in 2022.

Happy New Year everyone!

View attachment 466875
I definitely like how it looks now. Your curls are much fuller and you have more volume. I think where you parted it looks better as well.

Thank you!

Good to know it might require a commitment past the 30 days. How did you know your hair was rehydrated? Did you experience any obvious signs I can look out for? Do you still follow the “rules” of the detox?

My hair was very dry. If I did my hair at 8 am on Monday, when I woke up Tuesday morning it would be completely dried out and it couldn't be shaped or saved. I literally had to wet my hair fully every day and reapply gel. I knew it was getting better when I could skip a day. But it quickly went from every other day to a full week. I thought it would be more gradual, but it went every day, every other day for a few weeks then I was able to get 5 days. That whole period was about 60 to 90 days. It was probably less because I started the daily rinse in March and I got my hair cut at the end of June and I would not have done that until it was rehydrated.

I don't remember the rules of the detox but I keep everything simple. I stick to moisturizing shampoos, 1 conditioner, UFD gel and some other plastic top gel for a topper. I clarify when I think I need to. I usually CCS every 4 to 7 days. I noticed that if I do my hair around every 4 days, it looks better than if I wait every 7.

If your hair is short like mine and it last 3 days with just a gel and topper, you are fine. If it last longer than that, you really are fine with hydration. If your hair is longer, it probably should last at least 4 to 5 days. Just get used to the way your hair feels when it is hydrated. When my hair is hydrated, when I squeeze it is bounces back like a sponge. When it is not hydrated, when I squeeze it, it just seems brittle like it could break.

Sorry, it was sooooo long :lol:

Back