Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

I’m on the lookout for thin black elastic hairbands. I want to try and wear my hair pulled back a little. I use a buff to get my hair off my face when I wash it and I realized I like the way my hair and face look. But a bunched up buff doesn’t look very stylish. I need to find a hair band. Or maybe I can cut a buff…

@DVAntDany I wouldn’t keep seeing a stylist if I didn’t think she was listening to me.
I think it’s good to get consistent trims, but you shouldn’t have to keep a shape you don’t like. And if she doesn’t respect that you want to grow you hair out I don’t think she’s the stylist for you. can you show her the progress/growth pictures of some of Aisha’s clients and see how she responds?
I completely agree that the DS/SSC is a cult. I even said so when I was a DS member. They are so close minded about some things, like wanting long hair.

I see that lately BGC has taken the cult label as a badge of honor.
I’ll have to see what happens when I get there. Last time I didn’t want to complain too much while she had me on live. I didn’t want to be like, “nope, I want to decline that suggestion” while others were watching.

I don’t even think the A’s are on the same page right now. I watched the first official Q&A live stream for this years 30 day detox. Aishia stated the opposite of what Aeleise stated on CIK. Aishia said they both had recently talked about length retention. Aishia went on about stop worrying about length goals. She was teetering on implying that black women can’t grow long lengths.

I got off because she was having one of her Aishia-isms and claimed white rice is bleached. People rinse rice water to remove the bleach. Basically, that is what people are putting on their heads. LOL

On the flip side, Aeleise post a short clip on CIK IG telling stylist’s she teaches how to maintain a clients shape while helping them reach their hair length goals.

There CCS methods are solid and that the only reason I even pay them any mind at this point. Plus, I wanted if they had anything by new. Occasionally, they do put up new info.

I guess I’ll go through with the appointment and see what happens. The reason it is so expensive is because I’ll be at 16 weeks post trim when I go in (costs more) and have not been “approved” to get only a cut without style.

I’ll go ahead and prepare myself to potentially be blackballed if I choose any of the closer CIK stylist’s and start investigating ones outside of CIK. I say this because my stylist’s assistant had initially told me that they no longer did weekends even when I pled my case.
A few weeks later I contacted the nearest CIK stylist and mentioned to her what the issue was in a very polite manner. In less than a week, my stylist’s assistant sent an email stating they could do weekends only for out of area clients. The other CIK stylist never responded back to me.

Also, the other CIK stylist is my stylist’s friend and they were doing something they called New Curl Order on IG together. Both of them are around the 2 hour to 2.5 hour drive from me. Everyone else is 4+ hours.
I'm just going to put this out there woman to woman. I don't think you should go. I think we don't listen to ourselves often enough and we do things out of some type of obligation. You see all the warning signs. This stylist has already shown you who she is. You know who she is. Trust yourself and not other people. You are worth more than that. And you deserve to be treated well.

Keep your money in your pocket and take some time to look for other stylists in your area even if they aren't CIK stylists. There are stylists out there who will respect you as a person and will respect your business. Do that for yourself.

And yes, I meant it in a mother tone.

I’m on the lookout for thin black elastic hairbands. I want to try and wear my hair pulled back a little. I use a buff to get my hair off my face when I wash it and I realized I like the way my hair and face look. But a bunched up buff doesn’t look very stylish. I need to find a hair band. Or maybe I can cut a buff…
I was thinking about buying one of their silk lined beret and notice they had a thinish silk headband.

Even their scrunchies are said to be used as a headband also.
https://www.prettyanntoinets.com/silk-scrunchies/silk-scrunchie-black/

I don’t know if you even care about things being silk covered but it’s the only thing I can think of that shouldn’t be damaging to the hair. Also, it comes in black and is Black Owned.

Last edited:
I'm just going to put this out there woman to woman. I don't think you should go. I think we don't listen to ourselves often enough and we do things out of some type of obligation. You see all the warning signs. This stylist has already shown you who she is. You know who she is. Trust yourself and not other people. You are worth more than that. And you deserve to be treated well.

Keep your money in your pocket and take some time to look for other stylists in your area even if they aren't CIK stylists. There are stylists out there who will respect you as a person and will respect your business. Do that for yourself.

And yes, I meant it in a mother tone.
So, Mom #2 thinks I shouldn’t go either. :lol: I still have some time to make my decision. All I want is a trim to stay on schedule and not have to do it myself.

I live in the boondocks and unfortunately I don’t even trust the only two licensed cosmetologist in the area to touch my hair.

Have you seen the K18 treatment? It’s supposed to be able to actually repair damage to the hair. You may want to check it out.
Who makes the K18 treatment?

I ended up purchasing Olaplex No 0 and No 3. I saw No 1 and No 2, but I got cold feet since they're meant to be used in the salon as a chemical process. I took the assessment they have on the Olaplex site. They suggested using 0 and 3 over the course of 6 weeks, so I went with that.

@DVAntDany I wouldn’t keep seeing a stylist if I didn’t think she was listening to me.
I think it’s good to get consistent trims, but you shouldn’t have to keep a shape you don’t like. And if she doesn’t respect that you want to grow you hair out I don’t think she’s the stylist for you. can you show her the progress/growth pictures of some of Aisha’s clients and see how she responds?
I completely agree that the DS/SSC is a cult. I even said so when I was a DS member. They are so close minded about some things, like wanting long hair.

I see that lately BGC has taken the cult label as a badge of honor.
I posted my pic in the FB alum group and said I was having my appointment. I said I wasn't sure I was going to have it shaped and I wasn't sure I was going to stay curly. I needed my hair to fit my cycling lifestyle.

One of the ladies gave me the business and came with advice and a long list of questions. Since I posted because someone had wanted a review of the salon since it was new to us and not for advice I didn't answer them. But she had a lot to say without knowing anything about me or my history. But she told me it was a democracy so... :perplexed:

I posted my review on Thursday and she had a neutral response. I was like whateves. I'm old. I don't need your permission to do what I want to do with my hair and make my own decisions. I didn't say that because she literally would boot me from the page. :lol: But I know how to neutralize a situation. They can sit there and argue with themselves.

It is reset day for me. Pushing any further will just give me dry hair :nono: I skipped the cleanse. I think I will cleanse very other reset. I rinsed my hair in water at least 5 minutes but probably longer. I used just a little bit of conditioner. I sectioned it in 4. I did lose a little length with the shape but not too much. Then I wet each section with water and used 1 tsp of Jello Shot. I'm doing single gel sets for a while to see how they work. Maybe be good in an emergency.

It was harder for me to determine how much Jello Shot to use. One the 1st section it felt like too much. On the second section it felt like not enough. But after finishing my entire head. I think I will stick with a tsp for each section. After applying it, I took a handful of water and doused the section and squished it in. I used more if the hair didn't feel like it had enough water.

So, I was trying the smoothing separating method I saw one of the stylist do. I was starting to get the hang of it. I should have done it in the front and not the back. The trick is to really take thin sections and then smooth the hair with the thumb from root to tip to guide the hair to separating. I did the back and by the time I got to the front I was like I am done :lol: The front got the regular shingle.

I flipped my head over to shake and then did the shake side to side. There wasn't a lot of water in my hair but my hair did at least have enough weight to shake.

It is late in the day but I'm going to still let it air dry and maybe diffuse around 9.

I ended up purchasing Olaplex No 0 and No 3. I saw No 1 and No 2, but I got cold feet since they're meant to be used in the salon as a chemical process. I took the assessment they have on the Olaplex site. They suggested using 0 and 3 over the course of 6 weeks, so I went with that.

I may try this out since I color my hair.

Thank you!

Took my braids out and used UFD and Jello Shot. This time I look JS out a few hours prior to washing. I definitely prefer it room temp vs cold or straight out the fridge.

I used my Revlon paddle brush dryer before doing my braids. Always a wee bit nervous about heat damage but I'm 2/2 using it and no issues with my hair reverting back.

Took my braids out and used UFD and Jello Shot. This time I look JS out a few hours prior to washing. I definitely prefer it room temp vs cold or straight out the fridge.

I used my Revlon paddle brush dryer before doing my braids. Always a wee bit nervous about heat damage but I'm 2/2 using it and no issues with my hair reverting back.
I’m glad “thawing out” your Jell-O shot worked.

I will have to see how my set is in the morning. I'm not optimistic that it will last for a 2nd day but we shall see.

My first impression is that Jello Shot by itself dries really crunchy and it has that look like there are wet spots on the hair. I think I needed more in certain areas but in many areas I have nice curls. In the areas where I tried the smoothing and separating with the thumb, it must have worked because my SO commented on how bit the curls were.

Next set, I'm going to start in the front. That way I can practice on hair that I can actually see and it is longer. It is also the only part of my head I look at :lol: And if I can master that smoothing separating in the front then I will try it in the back.

My hair was still wet this evening since I started so late. And I also remember someone saying that a topper helps the gels dry faster. So I diffused for a little while and then blow dried on low heat. It should be dry enough by the time I go to bed.

If it looks crazy on Tuesday, I may reset with just UFD. If it is fine I will wait until Wednesday.

@faithVA Jell-O shot by itself gave me the hardest, crunchiest hair I’ve ever had in my life. I adore it over UFD. But I can’t use it alone.
I just wanted to try it alone to see how it worked. I don't really like Jello-Shot so I wanted to give it a chance. I told my stylist I would give her my second jar because it is doubtful that I will use it. As a topper over UFD it gives me very little hold. Maybe I need to use more of it over UFD.

I’ll have to see what happens when I get there. Last time I didn’t want to complain too much while she had me on live. I didn’t want to be like, “nope, I want to decline that suggestion” while others were watching.

I don’t even think the A’s are on the same page right now. I watched the first official Q&A live stream for this years 30 day detox. Aishia stated the opposite of what Aeleise stated on CIK. Aishia said they both had recently talked about length retention. Aishia went on about stop worrying about length goals. She was teetering on implying that black women can’t grow long lengths.

I got off because she was having one of her Aishia-isms and claimed white rice is bleached. People rinse rice water to remove the bleach. Basically, that is what people are putting on their heads. LOL

On the flip side, Aeleise post a short clip on CIK IG telling stylist’s she teaches how to maintain a clients shape while helping them reach their hair length goals.

There CCS methods are solid and that the only reason I even pay them any mind at this point. Plus, I wanted if they had anything by new. Occasionally, they do put up new info.
I’ve stopped following Aisha and Aeleise and CIK. I only follow BGC and I’ve stopped listening to their lives because they are always way too long. The only way I will learn if they start talking about something new will be from hair forums.
I only follow 4 hair people now - BGC, Loulou, my stylist and the stylist 10 minutes away from me who stopped doing hair and now she only teaches :-(

I was thinking about buying one of their silk lined beret and notice they had a thinish silk headband.

Even their scrunchies are said to be used as a headband also.
https://www.prettyanntoinets.com/silk-scrunchies/silk-scrunchie-black/

I don’t know if you even care about things being silk covered but it’s the only thing I can think of that shouldn’t be damaging to the hair. Also, it comes in black and is Black Owned.
Thanks!! The scrunchie looks like what I need and I love supporting black owned businesses.

It is reset day for me. Pushing any further will just give me dry hair :nono: I skipped the cleanse. I think I will cleanse very other reset. I rinsed my hair in water at least 5 minutes but probably longer. I used just a little bit of conditioner. I sectioned it in 4. I did lose a little length with the shape but not too much. Then I wet each section with water and used 1 tsp of Jello Shot. I'm doing single gel sets for a while to see how they work. Maybe be good in an emergency.

It was harder for me to determine how much Jello Shot to use. One the 1st section it felt like too much. On the second section it felt like not enough. But after finishing my entire head. I think I will stick with a tsp for each section. After applying it, I took a handful of water and doused the section and squished it in. I used more if the hair didn't feel like it had enough water.

So, I was trying the smoothing separating method I saw one of the stylist do. I was starting to get the hang of it. I should have done it in the front and not the back. The trick is to really take thin sections and then smooth the hair with the thumb from root to tip to guide the hair to separating. I did the back and by the time I got to the front I was like I am done :lol: The front got the regular shingle.

I flipped my head over to shake and then did the shake side to side. There wasn't a lot of water in my hair but my hair did at least have enough weight to shake.

It is late in the day but I'm going to still let it air dry and maybe diffuse around 9.
I like how you actually measure your jello shot. I may start doing that so I can be more consistent about how much I apply. I think I’ll order some plastic measuring spoons to keep in the shower.
That may help with my UFD as well because the amount that comes out with each pump changes as the amount in the bottle decreases.

I like how you actually measure your jello shot. I may start doing that so I can be more consistent about how much I apply. I think I’ll order some plastic measuring spoons to keep in the shower.
That may help with my UFD as well because the amount that comes out with each pump changes as the amount in the bottle decreases.
I have to. I tried being heavy handed and hair is just so sticky. It just doesnt handle extra product well.

K18 says that it does something different than olaplex and that the changes it makes to hair are permanent whereas bond rebuilders like olaplex wash out over time.
If I ever decide to have my hair flat ironed I will definitely make sure I have K18 to use afterwards.
C5FFDB5A-008F-4FF8-B042-E9CA83E56DA8.jpeg

K18 says that it does something different than olaplex and that the changes it makes to hair are permanent whereas bond rebuilders like olaplex wash out over time.
If I ever decide to have my hair flat ironed I will definitely make sure I have K18 to use afterwards.
View attachment 478519
Thank you for the clarification! It's good to know the options out there.

Day 2 hair is OK. Don't love or hate it. Its wearable and I'm at the doctor's, so it was good enough. I think because it was crunchy it stood up better when I slept. It was easier to stretch this morning. That also may be because my curls weren't as defined. It is crunchier than usual but I'm good with it. As long as my hair isn't dry I can deal.

I'm going to see if crunchier hair last longer for me. Maybe that's the resolution.

Will try 2 gels, first layer ufd and then this week more jello shot as a topper and next week more as a topper.

Anyone ever do ufd, ich, jello shot?

I have to. I tried being heavy handed and hair is just so sticky. It just doesnt handle extra product well.

Do you apply water as you apply UFD / JS? I like adding water between apply UFD and JS. And I don't love the super hard crunch of JS so I like adding water to reduce the staying power it can have.

ETA: I read you do apply water. Disregard lol. I do a couple of mist water sprays of water.

Back