Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

I think I am going to do Lou’s hydration challenge. What have I got to lose.
mom day one she specifically mentions detangling, but it doesn’t mention it for day 2-7. I’m going to detangle every day.

I’m planning to use KCKT for my leave in. I have an unopened bottle so it should last me a week.

I’m wondering if I should pick up a cheaper conditioner for this challenge.

I’ll be home next week and off from work. I’m thinking about trying Lou’s hydration challenge just to see what it does. But that’s a lot of conditioner.
Has anyone who tried or seen any benefits if their hair is already hydrated?
I attempted it but I didn't make it the full 7 days. I found that some conditioners didn't play well with each other and I owned only one leave-in that I didn't care for. If I were to do it again, I'd use a conditioner that can also be used as a cowash (but no true cleansing properties). I say this because AG Boost does not build up on it self well nor worked well with some deep conditioners/masks. My hair was tangled and felt coated. I only had samples of different products and I wound up using them all up trying to do the challenge. Those sample products worked much better.

This is the only person I can easily find who did the challenge on YouTube. There are 2 other people on there but I can't remember how I stumbled on them. Theirs were actually a little more organized and in-depth.

Much like Pluvio M (Youtuber), I found that the products I used made a difference in outcome. All conditioners and leave-ins are not created equal. At the end of me trying this, I found that I could easily use lighter weight products. Right now, my hair is not as hydrated. It takes more products to clump my hair or even weigh it down. I might try this again with the appropriate products for my hair.

I think I am going to do Lou’s hydration challenge. What have I got to lose.
mom day one she specifically mentions detangling, but it doesn’t mention it for day 2-7. I’m going to detangle every day.

I’m planning to use KCKT for my leave in. I have an unopened bottle so it should last me a week.

I’m wondering if I should pick up a cheaper conditioner for this challenge.

I attempted it but I didn't make it the full 7 days. I found that some conditioners didn't play well with each other and I owned only one leave-in that I didn't care for. If I were to do it again, I'd use a conditioner that can also be used as a cowash (but no true cleansing properties). I say this because AG Boost does not build up on it self well nor worked well with some deep conditioners/masks. My hair was tangled and felt coated. I only had samples of different products and I wound up using them all up trying to do the challenge. Those sample products worked much better.

This is the only person I can easily find who did the challenge on YouTube. There are 2 other people on there but I can't remember how I stumbled on them. Theirs were actually a little more organized and in-depth.

Much like Pluvio M (Youtuber), I found that the products I used made a difference in outcome. All conditioners and leave-ins are not created equal. At the end of me trying this, I found that I could easily use lighter weight products. Right now, my hair is not as hydrated. It takes more products to clump my hair or even weigh it down. I might try this again with the appropriate products for my hair.

I was thinking the same about the conditioner. You will be applying conditioner to your hair 2x for 7 days straight without shampooing. It would be a conditioner that didn't build up. A salon quality conditioner may work the best. It could be inexpensive but not low quality. Ulta usually has some sales around New Year maybe a decent price conditioner from there would work.

I would think anything that follows the A's guidelines would work. If the first 5 ingredients are oils, butters, plastics, cones, it should work fairly well.

You can also check out TJMaxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc. They keep some good conditioners on hand which you can usually pick up for $10.

I was thinking the same about the conditioner. You will be applying conditioner to your hair 2x for 7 days straight without shampooing. It would be a conditioner that didn't build up. A salon quality conditioner may work the best. It could be inexpensive but not low quality. Ulta usually has some sales around New Year maybe a decent price conditioner from there would work.

I would think anything that follows the A's guidelines would work. If the first 5 ingredients are oils, butters, plastics, cones, it should work fairly well.

You can also check out TJMaxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc. They keep some good conditioners on hand which you can usually pick up for $10.
I totally agree with you. However, I find that KCKT feels lighter than AG Boost, but the A's say it in particular causes a lot of buildup. They don't particularly care for co-washing, but they do have some exceptions to the rules. They have suggested using AG Boost for co-washing in certain situations. After 3 days of cowashing with AG Boost, my hair was almost sticky feeling when rinsing it out. It works perfectly on a clean slate though for me.

Lou doesn't have as many qualms about ingredients like the A's. She even says she tries to incorporate products a person already has on hand and make them work. She notes some products work better, but its more about the technique. Ultimately, the A's feel the same way, but they don't quite say that.

What brands have you found at those stores that you like?

I totally agree with you. However, I find that KCKT feels lighter than AG Boost, but the A's say it in particular causes a lot of buildup. They don't particularly care for co-washing, but they do have some exceptions to the rules. They have suggested using AG Boost for co-washing in certain situations. After 3 days of cowashing with AG Boost, my hair was almost sticky feeling when rinsing it out. It works perfectly on a clean slate though for me.

Lou doesn't have as many qualms about ingredients like the A's. She even says she tries to incorporate products a person already has on hand and make them work. She notes some products work better, but its more about the technique. Ultimately, the A's feel the same way, but they don't quite say that.

What brands have you found at those stores that you like?
I don't have any brands that I can recommend currently since I haven't tried any new conditioners since 2020. After I started with the A's my product list narrowed so much I don't even experiment.

I never use KCKT for a conditioner and only as a leave-in. I can't see it working on my hair as a conditioner and I would have to use it too much. I tried the AG products and I'm allergic so I let that go. I go to Lidl grocery store and they have a decent conditioner for $4 I buy that. My main conditioner is Madison Reed which is pricey but my hair loves it. If I try another conditioner, I'm going to be looking at a salon quality color conditioner like Madison Reed. But my hair is short for now, so won't have to think about that for a while.

I'm asking but also not holding my breath. It's in writing when you book that if you cancel less than 48 hours before the appointment, then you have to pay the fee.
I was sent a letter from my stylist that a person in the salon was found to have covid shortly after recent appointments. She has shut down for 2 weeks and will reschedule appointments that are during the shut down. So I can't imagine your stylist would charge you for late cancellation due to nature of the situation.

I did day one of the challenge this morning. It was quite time consuming, and I’m sure my hair is going to be very frizzy when/if it dries.
How long did it take you? From the videos I watched, it was less frizzy every day. By day 3 I think both of the ladies had good results.

What products did you use? Are you taking pictures to chart your changes?

How long did it take you? From the videos I watched, it was less frizzy every day. By day 3 I think both of the ladies had good results.

What products did you use? Are you taking pictures to chart your changes?
I double shampoo’d with pure harmony hairbath and Elucence.

I deep conditioned with Don’t Despair Repair
I conditioned with Color Radiance
I used KCKT for my leave in.

I guess I should take pictures, that’s a good idea.

I didn’t time it but it was at least 20 minutes. Probably closer to 30.
I rinsed for 5 minutes
Shampoo’d for 3 minutes
Applied DC and let it sit for 10 minutes
I let my regular conditioner sit for 3 minutes
So that’s 21 minutes and that doesn’t count the time it took me to apply or rinse my conditioners or the time it took me to apply the leave in.

I double shampoo’d with pure harmony hairbath and Elucence.

I deep conditioned with Don’t Despair Repair
I conditioned with Color Radiance
I used KCKT for my leave in.

I guess I should take pictures, that’s a good idea.

I didn’t time it but it was at least 20 minutes. Probably closer to 30.
I rinsed for 5 minutes
Shampoo’d for 3 minutes
Applied DC and let it sit for 10 minutes
I let my regular conditioner sit for 3 minutes
So that’s 21 minutes and that doesn’t count the time it took me to apply or rinse my conditioners or the time it took me to apply the leave in.
Tomorrow will be faster. You won't have the shampoo step and you won't leave the conditioners on any longer than 3 minutes

OK. This isn't about wash and goes but it is related :look: I've been hanging out here with you ladies since early 2020, doing my weekly cleanse, condition and style. My hair is doing so much better and staying hydrated. And I retained more length in 1 year than I retained in the previous 2 to 3.

Yesterday, I cleansed, conditioned and styled. Then I blow-dried, flat ironed and trimmed my ends.

I just touched my hair and it is soooooo soft :drool: I just had to tell somebody :lol:

I've never had soft hair so it is a big deal for me.

OK. This isn't about wash and goes but it is related :look: I've been hanging out here with you ladies since early 2020, doing my weekly cleanse, condition and style. My hair is doing so much better and staying hydrated. And I retained more length in 1 year than I retained in the previous 2 to 3.

Yesterday, I cleansed, conditioned and styled. Then I blow-dried, flat ironed and trimmed my ends.

I just touched my hair and it is soooooo soft :drool: I just had to tell somebody :lol:

I've never had soft hair so it is a big deal for me.
Wow. You just came in to show off and didnt post a picture?!?

You know we love to hear about progress! How was the straightening and trimming progress? Did you have a lot to trim?

So happy you’re retaining length and that you come in here and give us updates!

Wow. You just came in to show off and didnt post a picture?!?

You know we love to hear about progress! How was the straightening and trimming progress? Did you have a lot to trim?

So happy you’re retaining length and that you come in here and give us updates!
:lol: I said it was soft. I didn't say it was pretty.

Everything was easy. I clarified and deep conditioned overnight because I was too lazy to rinse it out. I can't believe I used to jump in and out of the shower 3 or 4 times :rolleyes:

The next day I rinsed. I blow dried with my rev-air. So glad I got that. It is bulky but it doesn't dry my hair out. Each section dried in 1.5 minutes versus 2.5 from previous uses. I straightened my hair on about 310 with 2 passes.

My ends were raggedy. I trimmed with my Split-Ender. Yeah, I have all the gadgets. I took off about 3/4 inch all around. Then I snipped any splits I could find. If I wasn't going to the salon in January, I would have taken off an inch. But she will get what I didn't.

I have my hair in 2 flat twists because I have no idea what to do with it :lol: I don't know what to do with straight hair. It is so wispy.
20211226_164820.jpg20211226_164841.jpg

Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degrees here. Supposedly I'm going to do a wash and go tomorrow, so I have a starting record for 2022. I need to get it done early to get it out of the way. I think I will try to air dry for 2 hours then diffuse on cool or something. I'm not sure. Drying my hair is still something I haven't figured out.

I think I'm going to stick with UFD and ICH. I have Jello Shot but I don't think it works on my hair. Fortunately, humidity should be low during this season so my style should last longer.

I'm going to try to do like Toaster says and work it into my roots. I'm going to do more smoothing.

If I can get tomorrows set to work and figure out drying I will continue to do sets. Otherwise I'm back in twist.

I will take pictures regardless of how it looks.

Wish me luck.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degrees here. Supposedly I'm going to do a wash and go tomorrow, so I have a starting record for 2022. I need to get it done early to get it out of the way. I think I will try to air dry for 2 hours then diffuse on cool or something. I'm not sure. Drying my hair is still something I haven't figured out.

I think I'm going to stick with UFD and ICH. I have Jello Shot but I don't think it works on my hair. Fortunately, humidity should be low during this season so my style should last longer.

I'm going to try to do like Toaster says and work it into my roots. I'm going to do more smoothing.

If I can get tomorrows set to work and figure out drying I will continue to do sets. Otherwise I'm back in twist.

I will take pictures regardless of how it looks.

Wish me luck.
I can’t wait to see your results tomorrow.

It took me awhile to figure out diffusing. I diffuse on high heat and speed because I’m impatient. I hold the diffuser a few inches from my hair and let it dry my hair the same way a hooded dryer would.
When I’m feeling fancy I’ll tilt my head at different angles to get the underside of my hair. After 10 minutes my hair is mostly dry

@faithVA omg your hair looks so smooth! So glad the process was smooth for you.

2021 was a hectic year. The last thing we needed was hair drama.

Excited for your wash and go! I need to wash my hair on the 30th for my starting pictures as well. I’m considering straightening my hair in January/February and seeing if I can fix my wonky hair cut that way. We will see.

Day 2 of the hydration challenge

I spent 21 minutes in the shower
My hair got super wet during the 10 minutes of rinsing, but I don’t think it was enough to get all the KCKT out of my hair. My hair still felt a little slimy.

I used Briogeo Curl Charisma to condition and KCKT as my leave in. My hair still looks frizzy.

I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do this for 5 more days.

Day 2 of the hydration challenge

I spent 21 minutes in the shower
My hair got super wet during the 10 minutes of rinsing, but I don’t think it was enough to get all the KCKT out of my hair. My hair still felt a little slimy.

I used Briogeo Curl Charisma to condition and KCKT as my leave in. My hair still looks frizzy.

I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do this for 5 more days.
I think that is what the A's mean when they say KCKT can have a build up. It may not rinse out easily without shampoo.

I hope you give it 1 more day before you decide. The ladies on YT saw a slight difference on day 3.

In your update, please let us know how your hair dried yesterday, and how it felt today before you started day 2. Um, yeah, I'm going to ask a lot of questions :lol:

Starting so late in the day, does your hair dry by bedtime?
My hair dried quite frizzy yesterday. I did the process around 9 am and by 4pm it was completely dry. It may have been dry earlier, but I wasn’t paying attention.
I was playing with it before I went to bed. It felt soft, but a little tacky.

I didn’t take a very good day 1 picture. I mostly tried to capture the frizz. It did not look polished or professional.
DA8DFB96-F96C-4DE2-AEF2-2E144B996C4E.jpeg

My hair dried quite frizzy yesterday. I did the process around 9 am and by 4pm it was completely dry. It may have been dry earlier, but I wasn’t paying attention.
I was playing with it before I went to bed. It felt soft, but a little tacky.

I didn’t take a very good day 1 picture. I mostly tried to capture the frizz. It did not look polished or professional.
View attachment 477827
Thanks for that update. I keep forgetting it is just leave-in. With that thought, maybe I will try it this week. Then I can finish up next week. I will think about it.

Back