Wash And Go, To Grow And To Dazzle 2020 Challenge

I think my original texture is definitely growing back. My ends are different than my roots. I could initially feel it, but there is no more denying that I can see it.

Having my hair more hydrated is giving me more elongation. It’s also giving me softer hair while styled with product. This exposes my more spongy hair texture. The silkier curls are no longer rolling up on themselves and hiding my roots. That’s why I kept switching techniques for different stylers to give my hair a look of uniformity.

Regardless of the textures I have, the styling on wet hair looks like it requires heavier or maybe more curl clumping products. Does curl clumping even equal heaviness? This is why I like the mousse because it gives easy gliding curl clumping. I don’t find it heavy.

Days ago trying the shampoo brush for smoothing before raking. Omg, my hair started drying by the time I made it to the top. It looks frizzy, but the Aunt Jackie’s is on there.

Today just using the Mielle custard. I hopped out of the shower and added more to my hair. Trying to figure out a way to smooth and rake more on. My hair looks shiny but my roots are totally different. Barely any definition. I guess I do need something for more hold. My hair felt softer with the AJ flaxseed gel on top.
I love your curls. You are going to figure out what works for you. I don't think it will take you long.

I think we might need to backtrack a little bit. So there are several various schools of thought regarding the wash and go styling of natural/textured hair. We have Black Girl Curls (Aishia and Aeleise), HydraBar (Rhonda) and Jennifer-Rose Nyc (Jennifer). There might be more, but those seem to be the main three I seen. There is LouLou of CiciLove Curls but her methods are a bit more hidden. https://www.cicilovecurlsstudio.com These wash and go techniques and philosophies differ from the premise of Deva Curl.

Black Girl Curls website is https://www.blackcurlmagic.com. Hydra Bar website is https://hydrabarsalon.com. I dont automatically see a website for Jennifer but she has twitter, instagram and facebook. She is easy to find. Most of the terms we are using like topper, base-gel and even CIK come from Black Girl Curls. Black Girl Curls provides a training for their wash and go method to cosmetologist called Cut It Kinky. There is an alumni listing for those who have attended that training. This is the directory for it https://www.blackcurlmagic.com/stylist-directory.

I hopes this helps you out a little bit. It can be confusing.

Also, the nearest person to me is roughly 2 hours in any direction. I'm not too impressed with their work. They seem to more so specialize is silk presses. I already know how to do that and don't need a stylist to help me with that. I wish someone was closer who did curly hair and made it obviously known.

Oh yeah. I don't follow the As. That's why I keep missing these acronyms. Lol. I've been going to my stylist for a few years. She's team no butters/no oils. Only does wash and gos and curly cuts. I just mentioned her cause I found her outside the realm of the folks you mentioned searching on IG. She has similar concepts although a bit more streamlined.

I do follow Loulou on IG. Idk how I came across Jennifer on Twitter. But I follow a few of stylists like her on there as well. They share each other's tweets quite a bit.

I bought some or maybe a lot of products yesterday morning and its not even all just yet. There is a method to my madness. I’m trying to re-strategize my routine.

There isn’t anyway I’m going to stretch washing to 7 to 10 days. My scalp won’t have it. I don’t get itching. I get thick waxy build up or inflammation covered in crusty flakes be it wet or dry. All that medicated stuff doesn’t work as well as you would think. Those pyrithione zinc shampoos don’t even clean my scalp when I used daily. Washing frequently solves all of that. I haven’t even seen a flake or had irritation yet since I’ve been washing every 3rd day or so.

So I am going to test a recommended moisturizing shampoo. I also don’t mind restyling more often since I have short hair. I might also look into recommend co-washes. I did purchase a table top hooded dryer because this hydrated hair takes longer air drying.

So the A’s stance right now is that if you wash your hair multiple time per week for the scalp (e.g.working out or dirty job) use a moisturizing shampoo. If you are doing it very frequently for restyling purposes use a co-wash. People who wash once a week should use a basic shampoo and then clarify as needed. How to identify the need to clarify? When you get a waxy buildup.

I asked Rhonda how frequently should I cleanse and even clarify after telling her my issue. She said that I should try to wash no more than twice a week max. And I could clarify for one of those washes, but I need to monitor if my hair can handle it that often. Also how to know when its time to wash is when you rub your scalp and your finger comes out greasy and smelling. She doesn’t care for moisturizing shampoos. She suggest just using the all purpose one.

I don’t know if I should stick with the A’s or Rhonda for my method. I was think of either switching up each week or going a month straight for each. A’s are silicone and sulfate free for the most part. Rhonda is team sulfates and silicones. So I purchased samples of all the recommended Innersense products with the exception of maybe 3 products. I wound up buying ICH in a 10oz bottle because that was the only size available on the Innersense website.

Rhonda was for Matrix Biolage Hydrasource line but they are phasing out the old formula for a new one called Ultra Hydrasource. So she now suggests The Matrix Sleekline shampoo and conditioner. I’m upset I didn’t by the bottles of Hydrasource (I saw what looked like the last bottle) while I was at Ulta because you can’t find the conditioner online. The Biolage Cleanreset Shampoo can be used for clarifying.

The last 2 washes have been with the Hydra Source line samples. They are way more moisturizing than the AG natural poo and con but clean very well.

Looking through my notes, which I'm glad I kept in here, February 28th seems to be a wash and go I liked.

I notice I don't put my part on the same side each time I do my hair. :look: I need to write down what side I want it on. I keep forgetting :lol:

I'm going to go for a walk and help my dry.
I need to start writing things down like you. See when you aren’t pushing products, you are inadvertently making suggestions. :lol:

Oh yeah. I don't follow the As. That's why I keep missing these acronyms. Lol. I've been going to my stylist for a few years. She's team no butters/no oils. Only does wash and gos and curly cuts. I just mentioned her cause I found her outside the realm of the folks you mentioned searching on IG. She has similar concepts although a bit more streamlined.

I do follow Loulou on IG. Idk how I came across Jennifer on Twitter. But I follow a few of stylists like her on there as well. They share each other's tweets quite a bit.
Care to list some of these other stylists? I’m trying to absorb all the info and make my own personal guide.

Care to list some of these other stylists? I’m trying to absorb all the info and make my own personal guide.

Sure.

https://twitter.com/camillejanae?s=09

I just noticed that last one has the CIK in her profile lol.

@DVAntDany Thanks for sharing so much information. Especially about the recommendations if you wash multiple times a week. The As really seems to be coming around to the fact that not everyone wants to go 7-10 days between washes.

My opinion is if you are going to evaluate both philosophies (the As and Rhonda) you need to follow each one exclusively for at least a month. It takes time for changes in hair care to become noticeable.
The As used to get annoyed when people would point out differences with different stylists. They would say decide who you want to go with and stick to it, I think that makes sense.

I need to start writing things down like you. See when you aren’t pushing products, you are inadvertently making suggestions. :lol:
My recommendation is to simplify and try one persons routine and see what you get. Following a lot of different things may be fun but in the end I don't think you will have a good regimen. Regimens require some consistency and trying it for a while before you can really see what is working versus what is not. If you change too many things too often, it is really hard to narrow down what is really working. That's just my opinion. :imo: Take it for what its worth.

Sure.

I thought about going to the lady in Raleigh. I just didn't feel like driving that far.

@DVAntDany Thanks for sharing so much information. Especially about the recommendations if you wash multiple times a week. The As really seems to be coming around to the fact that not everyone wants to go 7-10 days between washes.

My opinion is if you are going to evaluate both philosophies (the As and Rhonda) you need to follow each one exclusively for at least a month. It takes time for changes in hair care to become noticeable.
The As used to get annoyed when people would point out differences with different stylists. They would say decide who you want to go with and stick to it, I think that makes sense.
I didn't see this before I posted. But I agree with all of this.

I’m going to counter that and say no, thank you. In fact, thank you all. I kinda forget to say it to you guys, but I’m super appreciative for the info you all share and even having this very welcoming and civilized space.

I think the A’s are being a little more lenient or expanding their suggestions because they have found products and tools they feel they can safely suggest to be used. They have narrowed down their product list and aren’t necessarily suggesting things they don’t use directly in the salon. They have very few moisturizing shampoos and co washes.

Rhonda’s stuff is so easy to pick up at a store and just start using. I’m probably going to just go with hers first. I still need to pick up a base gel that the A’s truly suggest. They only said the Mielle custard if you were at a friend’s house and needed to restyle because you forgot to bring your products with to you.

I know both parties say it’s more the technique than the products. Switching shampoo and conditioner has made a difference in such a short time. I would still get flakes with the Mielle. Not like I scratch my scalp and it turns white. I get the crusties that make little mounds on my scalp. I could literally peel them off.

So I’ll start today as the beginning of trying the HydraBar technique for 30 days.

Sure.

Thank you. I’m going to check all of these people out.

My recommendation is to simplify and try one persons routine and see what you get. Following a lot of different things may be fun but in the end I don't think you will have a good regimen. Regimens require some consistency and trying it for a while before you can really see what is working versus what is not. If you change too many things too often, it is really hard to narrow down what is really working. That's just my opinion. :imo: Take it for what its worth.
That totally makes sense. I’ve decided to go with Rhonda’s method. Today is day one.

I might be able to stretch my sample of conditioner until I get her recommended products. She doesn’t feel sulfate free shampoo gets the hair clean enough. Cleaner hair also means more shine.

That temporary moment of insanity about getting my hair cut has passed :lol: I don't know what I was thinking. Now that my hair is dry I can deal with it better. I guess I need to let my coils shrink up before I pay too much attention to what it looks like.

I was thinking, I've been walking around for 4 months disliking this cut. Why would I panic today :look: What difference will 2 or 3 months make. :perplexed:

Monday, will be 4 months since my last cut. And it's been 1 year since I started wash and goes.

I will reset over the weekend and post my comparison probably on Sunday.

That totally makes sense. I’ve decided to go with Rhonda’s method. Today is day one.

I might be able to stretch my sample of conditioner until I get her recommended products. She doesn’t feel sulfate free shampoo gets the hair clean enough. Cleaner hair also means more shine.

Same here about sticking with one regimen for awhile and reevaluating. I'm on Week 6, I think of following Rhonda's regimen? I planned to stick with it for 3 months and then see what's what. I feel really good about the positive changes I've seen so far.

@faithVA cant wait to see your comparison pics!!

When I was washing my hair I actually thought about going to get a trim this month. After allllll the whining I’ve done about my haircut? Absolutely not. Every inch is staying on my head.

We can on the no cut team together for at least a few more months.
Deal! If either of us talk about going to get a cut, the other will shake the other until they snap out of it. We can talk about it again at the end of April and take it month by month. I'm going to try to make it at least until June. I like to get my hair cut right after I do my color.

I talked to my SO about it. He said, why are you worried about how it looks? You aren't going anywhere :handslap:

Same here about sticking with one regimen for awhile and reevaluating. I'm on Week 6, I think of following Rhonda's regimen? I planned to stick with it for 3 months and then see what's what. I feel really good about the positive changes I've seen so far.
What are the biggest positives changes you have seen so far? Also, are you using the shampoo brush to smooth while styling?

Three months is actually a good amount of time. I believe that’s what is usually suggested to see results in skincare. Unfortunately, I’m not willing to wait that long to evaluate results...yet.

Deal! If either of us talk about going to get a cut, the other will shake the other until they snap out of it. We can talk about it again at the end of April and take it month by month. I'm going to try to make it at least until June. I like to get my hair cut right after I do my color.

I talked to my SO about it. He said, why are you worried about how it looks? You aren't going anywhere :handslap:
Sounds just like a man.
What are the biggest positives changes you have seen so far? Also, are you using the shampoo brush to smooth while styling?

Three months is actually a good amount of time. I believe that’s what is usually suggested to see results in skincare. Unfortunately, I’m not willing to wait that long to evaluate results...yet.
I know it so hard to be patient. I’m the same way. The longest I can go without changing something is about a month. Then I want to see if the grass is greener with a different product or product combo.

Don’t hurt me, but he has a point. :giveup:I’m only saying this because of dealing with my mom. She is a school teacher and since October has had an opportunity to work from home with distant learning. She doesn’t even have to show her face for her digital classes and she doesn’t. They just use the audio.

She had said like one million times already she wants to grow her grey out and says she wants to wear her natural curls. Tell me why, every time I look up she is dying her hair (temporary but it does some major almost permanent staining) and relaxes her roots ( it still leaves her with some curls.) She does all these things that are counter productive for what she says she wants just to pull it back into a ponytail that no one literally sees. These days she even covers her hair when shopping in public.

Leave that stylist and her shears alone if you say you are trying to grow it out some.

Sorry if I missed it, but what is Rhonda's method?
Hahaha, it’s practically CCS too. Here are some basics that differ from the A’s. Rhonda believes in the power of sulfates and silicones. She is okay with the use of cleansing clays and even using natural aloe occasionally. She uses a shampoo brush from the shampoo process all the way to the smoothing process. General product selection is different also.

There is a big emphases on smoothing the hair. I mean major. Smooth, smooth, smooth even while shampooing.

Let me watch through the whole washing and styling procedure of both schools and I’ll be better able to explain. It’s more so how they do it and what they put more emphasis on.

Sounds just like a man.

I know it so hard to be patient. I’m the same way. The longest I can go without changing something is about a month. Then I want to see if the grass is greener with a different product or product combo.
The older I get, the more I feel like my attention span is dwindling. Yep, I swear I’m always looking for greener pastures when I haven’t clearly found my Goldilocks just right product or technique. That’s with practically everything but I’m trying to do better.

I’m trying to relearn commitment and order. Covid and the other c word has made me lose all inklings of the art of discipline.

Back