Wanted to share...

nita4

There was a time when...if I saw a woman of color with long hair I would have thought that she was mixed, born with long hair "genes" or something stupid like that. And that her length would never be attainable for me. And then feeling kind of "funky" thinking about it. But, last night as I sat in church (I was listening to the Pastor!!) two women stood out to me. One had long straight waist length hair. Yes, it was hers and it was beautful. The other I would guess hers to be waist length too, but it had been set on rollers and was curled. So I would say it stopped past her bra strap - curled. This was the first time...that I looked at a woman of color woman with hair like that and didn't feel funky because I now know that it is attainable for me...and because it's about proper hair care and not "long hair genes". And that made me feel good.

Yay Nita!!!

You've been working really hard and I'm sure you're hair is thriving - eventually all of your hard work will culminate in the final destination you envisioned. But sometimes the mind is a difficult thing to change. Kudos to you for being able to succeed in this more elusive aspect of the haircare journey.

And big hugs to you.....You'll posting about your waistlength hair in no time.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nita. You can have long hair. I have said this before but I like to keep saying it. I am regular black and nobody in my family has long hair. Everybody's hair in my family is 'broke-off' because what they 'do' to their hair: over-relaxing, over-pressing etc... Well I broke the cycle. My hair is long and my whoe family is gagging. My mom is now on a strict hair diet. I come from dirt and have long hair. I bet you come from something better so it'll be quicker for you!

You're not alone Nita, I used to be like that too. I think it's because when we were growing up (and even now) we have been brainwashed to believe that black women's hair "just doesn't grow that long". Thanks to boards like these, we all know that's a bunch of bull!

AMEN, sistah!!! So, did I and that's one reason why I want to grow my hair long to show people and especially when I have kids my own children that it's possible. I also want for my son to know that all black women don't have "naturally" short hair, like I know a lot of black men think.
/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back