Wanted: Heavy conditioners for east coast winter months

Glitter

Hey all!

I'm natural in upstate NY. I'm trying to get my hair in order...it's already getting cold. I know enough to know I need to stop using humectant and I plan to finish my bottle this week. But after that, I'm cluess. What are some good heavy conditioners, moisturizers, and leave ins I can use during the winter months?:confused: I'm thinking of buying sunsilk hydra mask and maybe some shea butter.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Well I plan on getting some Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer once it really gets cold here. It's SUPER, SUPER thick and it's moisturizing as well as strengthening. It's pricey but worth it, IMO. Another thing you can do that's cheaper is to add oils to your conditioner when you deep condition...coconut oil avocado & olive oil are good heavier oils. I'll be using the same moisturizer, Organics carrot oil cream...it's the consistency of thick pudding. I don't really use a leave-in per se so hopefully someone else can suggest something.

hope that helps :D

:wave: I'm going to school upstate and am looking for the same thing...while I haven't found one that is perfect, I would NOT reccommend Redkin Heavy Cream...it was raved about and my hair never felt very soft afterwards. I got much better results using Suave Coconut and honey, although, I may have to leave them alone for the reasons you previously stated. Actually, I'm thinking about twisting/braiding up for the winter months...as to allieveate some of this stress about moisture and to protect my hair?

Thanks Mkstar826...the PJ in me is demanding I go to the shop now and pick some Aveda up.:mad: :D

For a thick conditioner I mix elasta qp DPR w/olive oil and honey. I then sit under a warm dryer for 20 min. works great for me.

Last edited:
Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol, LeKair Cholesterol Plus, CON Nourishing Conditioner, Proclaim Aloe & Shea Butter Conditioner are all thick, rich creamy concoctions. :yep:

Humectress mixed with some mashed, very ripe avocado. Or mixed with honey, goat milk powder and a heavy oil, like hemp seed oil or avocado oil or olive oil...

Redken Heavy Cream mixed with a little glob of avocado butter or macadamia nut butter is heavenly! Very thick and nourishing. Sometimes I add a milk powder to this also.

A small amount of virgin coconut oil (it's hard and solid when not heated) added to any conditioner will help thicken it up.

mkstar826 said:
Well I plan on getting some Aveda Deep Penetrating Hair Revitalizer once it really gets cold here. It's SUPER, SUPER thick and it's moisturizing as well as strengthening. It's pricey but worth it, IMO. Another thing you can do that's cheaper is to add oils to your conditioner when you deep condition...coconut oil avocado & olive oil are good heavier oils. I'll be using the same moisturizer, Organics carrot oil cream...it's the consistency of thick pudding. I don't really use a leave-in per se so hopefully someone else can suggest something.

hope that helps :D

Yeah that Aveda Stuff is Thiiiiiiick! Didn't work for me though.

Anyways, I suggest CON Nourishing Conditioner. It's the thickest conditioner that I know of that is cheap. I always wanted to try it adding a little bit of evoo. I might try it that way one day.

cholesterol is always great(any brand). Its nice, thick and helps strenghten and moisturize. You can even punch it up a little bit with some castor or olive oil if u like.

I love Aubrey's...It's very very moisturizing...I deep condition with it every week...my favorites are Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture! It makes my hair very manageable and soft. It's super thick in fact you may want to get a drain basket for your shower because last winter I used it and I had to frequent the drano before I realized the NTM was clogging my pipes.

I always like heavy conditioners year round, so my current routine is okay for that.

For leave-ins and moisturizers during the winter, I'm going to try the following:
Curls Milkshake
Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles
BB Butter Me Up
My Honey Child Type 4 Cream
Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Leave-In
A few of my Qhemets products

During the summer and spring, I didn't use heave butter based products, but I will be CW less in the winter, so I'll add heavier moisturizers to compensate a little.

I think your best bet would be to stock up on oils/ butters like Shea Butter, Avocado oil/ butter, Jojoba oil, etc. and just mixing them with your usual conditioners or mixing with a cheap but efffective cholesterol ( I like Lustrasilk Shea Mango Butter CHolesterol, it's similar to the infamous DDGB to me).

it doesn't get that cold down here so i won't change my regime much. i didn't think about the thicker conditioner help fight frizz and the cold in winter. as for thicker conditioners i like the elasta qp conditioner. maybe i'll try it.

caribeandiva said:
it doesn't get that cold down here so i won't change my regime much. i didn't think about the thicker conditioner help fight frizz and the cold in winter. as for thicker conditioners i like the elasta qp conditioner. maybe i'll try it.

Caribeandiva- try the Elasta QP DPR w/Olive oil and honey mixed in and sit under a warm dyer if u can-it makes the conditioner work even better IMO

NATURETHERAPYmegamoisture_creme.jpg

LOREAL Natures Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme

Lady_Lioness said:
I love Aubrey's...It's very very moisturizing...I deep condition with it every week...my favorites are Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia.

The Honeysuckle Rose is a winter favorite of mine too!

babyblue said:
cholesterol is always great(any brand). Its nice, thick and helps strenghten and moisturize. You can even punch it up a little bit with some castor or olive oil if u like.

Co-signing. I mix my cholesterol (Silk Elements, Wella, and/or LeKair) with castor oil. New England winters can be rough, too. Remember to keep your hair covered with a satin-lined hat!

Back