Virgin Natural to Relaxed Hair

WTH?! They put the relaxer on her ends first and then on the roots? Is that how you're suppose to apply a virgin relaxer?
It came out looking like she texlaxed the roots and permed the rest of the hair all the way. :/ Makes no sense. And then she cut off all that length! Dumb stylists always want to give you a bob. grrr

Hair closest to the scalp processes faster then the ends due top the heat coming from the scalp. To prevent overprocessing, applying relaxer to the ends first was 100% correct. Keep in mind that the next time she does her touchup that there will be some overlap. So those texlaxed roots most likely be straight after her touch up is complete.

This paricular rule is true for all chemical processes. Shamboosie discusses it in his book. When I colored the front of my hair last it was strongly recommended that color be applied to the ends first to ensure even application and prevent "hot roots" aka very bright roots..

Last edited:
Why such a big cut??? Her ends looked blunt and healthy already! I've been stretching for almost a year now and this is exactly why I'm afraid getting my touchup at a salon. :wallbash::wallbash:

It's hard to keep my emotions in check before I've had my coffee so for now I'm gonna assume/hope the girl *wanted* it that way...

On the positive side, very cute video and her hair looks like it's in great condition :)

Hair closest to the scalp processes faster then the ends due top the heat coming from the scalp. To prevent overprocessing, applying relaxer to the ends first was 100% correct. Keep in mind that the next time she does her touchup that there will be some overlap. So those texlaxed roots most likely be straight after her touch up is complete.

This paricular rule is true for all chemical processes. Shamboosie discusses it in his book. When I colored the front of my hair last it was strongly recommended that color be applied to the ends first to ensure even application and prevent "hot roots" aka very bright roots..

Thats what I thought too. :yep:

I loved the video, like a little documentary. The stylist was definitely right to relax the ends first as the roots process faster. That is the way a virgin relaxer should be done. However, she definitely cut off way too much. An inch would have been a sufficient enough trim.

I really enjoyed the video and I did not know that for virgin hair the relaxer was to be put on the end first which in the beginning I thought that was inncorrect but reading what you ladies are saying now makes perfect sense.

Ah ok. It's been so long since my first relaxer that I totally forgot. lol
She still didn't need to cut off all that girls beautiful hair though.

This is what I love about this forum. Great post.

Great Video! I love that she tried being natural decided it didn't work and made the choice that was best for her hand her hair journey! You can absolutely have healthy Natural and relaxed hair!

..and hell yes thought the application process was correct she was definitely too scissor happy!

If nothing else this thread shows that the London ladies now know where to get a great relaxer application and blow-dry - but just tell that stylist to hang back with the scissors.

Very nicely done. Her hair was gorgeous before the relaxer and after. Loved the shine in the end. Thanks for sharing.

Ooh I can't believe she relaxed all that gorgeous thick hair!

I love the end result though. Her hair looks very healthy and shiny. I didn't think the stylist cut too much.

Back