victoria's secret BOOO!!!! MAJOR RANT

ghanja

So Im watching the victorias secret fashion show, just dying to see if they will put a naturally headed black girl in the line up, Actually just a poofy headed curly girl. Well to my none to surprisable self...There are NO BLACK MODELS...WTF besides a short haired waif selita that doesnt even look like the model she started off as as a curly head...Now I know a lot of the black "elite" have been complaining about a lack of black faces in glamour, whatever glamour may entail to you. But, I thought that they were actually wrong since I have personally seen more black men and women with their "ish" together than ever as representations of who we are...but damn. There are no chocolate models to walk the catwalk???To speak of it there are no asian ones, or hispanic ones, or native american ones or all the other non Blond after Blond model walking the runway. I rarely get upset by media anymore because I have seen the bs they put up but seriously what does this say to aspiring models of color...any color other than blond white women. Also they have a black usher start the show then a hispanic singer I guess to make up for the lack of color...but yet No women of color...

TO think I spend about 200 dollars a month at victorias secret....NO MORE. I guess victorias secret is that not too many colored models allowed...

p.s. they just had 1 black model and 1 hispanic model to about 100 blonds so I guess they can cover any complaints like mine

Last edited:
Come to think of it I think there were more than 2( I think actually 4 including selita), there was one that was lighter skinned and think her hair was straightened but I have seen her in other ads with natural (3c/4b) hair.

theres selita, one black model with a Horrible star trek wig, and they showed a half second of one other black model (im watching it on dvr) 2 hispanic looking models, I think 1 blond asian model. a handful of bruenetts and 1 million blonds, lol not really a million but seriously its about 15 blonds, then 1 non blond then 15 more and so on. This does not represent America, nor the customer base of America. I had this discussion with an ignorant person once and their response was that blonds are more wanted by more men so thus more blonds are represented...of course I disagree with that for numerous reasons, but for impressionable young models of color...any and all colors any and all races. What does that say to them...You get to be one of the 5 non blond models to reach the top?? I feel like puffy here

So Im watching the victorias secret fashion show, just dying to see if they will put a naturally headed black girl in the line up, Actually just a poofy headed curly girl. Well to my none to surprisable self...There are NO BLACK MODELS...WTF besides a short haired waif selita that doesnt even look like the model she started off as as a curly head...Now I know a lot of the black "elite" have been complaining about a lack of black faces in glamour, whatever glamour may entail to you. But, I thought that they were actually wrong since I have personally seen more black men and women with their "ish" together than ever as representations of who we are...but damn. There are no chocolate models to walk the catwalk???To speak of it there are no asian ones, or hispanic ones, or native american ones or all the other non Blond after Blond model walking the runway. I rarely get upset by media anymore because I have seen the bs they put up but seriously what does this say to aspiring models of color...any color other than blond white women. Also they have a black usher start the show then a hispanic singer I guess to make up for the lack of color...but yet No women of color...

TO think I spend about 200 dollars a month at victorias secret....NO MORE. I guess victorias secret is that not too many colored models allowed...

p.s. they just had 1 black model and 1 hispanic model to about 100 blonds so I guess they can cover any complaints like mine

They feel they have met their eternal quota with Tyra Banks...who's now a blond lolol!

theres selita, one black model with a Horrible star trek wig, and they showed a half second of one other black model (im watching it on dvr) 2 hispanic looking models, I think 1 blond asian model. a handful of bruenetts and 1 million blonds, lol not really a million but seriously its about 15 blonds, then 1 non blond then 15 more and so on. This does not represent America, nor the customer base of America. I had this discussion with an ignorant person once and their response was that blonds are more wanted by more men so thus more blonds are represented...of course I disagree with that for numerous reasons, but for impressionable young models of color...any and all colors any and all races. What does that say to them...You get to be one of the 5 non blond models to reach the top?? I feel like puffy here

Ive often wondered myself. Men prefer blonds, for women's underwear. Who the heck is buying women's lingerie? Women. I don't give a rat's behind who's modeling female underwear. That's so ridiculous. Underwear is for t & a and is to be covered under clothing. What's this stupid world coming to? Why don't they have men's jockey straps on the runway? LOL.

...perhaps Im getting too upset of something that really has no effect on my life lol. Its just odd. With the election of Obama, and with the "black elite", and with Tyra having every other show on modeling discrimination, and with Puffy having his black male fashion show you would THINK that this would of brought about change but whatever. Myself personally I never cared for the whole fashion world, simply cause I never saw anyone of color when I was at that age. Tyra and Naomi came about when I was a little older and already was too much of a nerd to care about fashion and such. I do worry about the message this sends though. I seriously, seriously expected far more diversity. I truly mean all diversity. For example have an Asian model that accentuates Asian beauty, have an African model that does the same, have a Native American one, Hell have an Aboriginee but have something other than the same type of person over and over again.

As I said at the beginning I have no idea why Im even upset over this, lol...I think Ill go find something to refocus my attention on....hmm like my hair. Ive been needing to do a deep condition anyhows

There really wasn't much racial diversity in the show at all (lots of national diversity though). But it's really not shocking. The fashion industry is well known for being slow to realize that the standards of beauty are changing and in some regards it's not entirely the industry's fault. We still have plenty of black people, men and women a like who don't consider Black features as attractive as caucasian features. When brown skin, tan skin, non white people start loving their natural beauty and stop trying to look like Barbie, then we'll start seeing more diversity on the catwalk.

This is not a shock. I don't waste my money at VS.... I buy panties, and they last me a good 3 to 5 years....

HOW is that possible? I guess I'm just a totally Victoria Secret addict. I buy underwear more than I buy clothing. :spinning:

but even when tyra was there...there weren't many blacks in their shows either. Its not something i'm shocked about. In this show I counted 4 black models including selita and the light girl w/ light eyes. There were 2 other darker toned models. And I think one more...who didn't really get a lot of camera time.

but its still not a shock

they have two that are frequently in their catalogs and runway shows, I know there should be more, but modeling is trying to go back to being shady. you probably missed them because they try to make them up like blanca chicas :)

I didn't watch the show, but I'm not surprised. Victoria's Secret is overrated, anyway. If you look good to your SO, then you look good in panties/ lingerie from anywhere, even Wal-Mart.

I used to be addicted to their body scents, but I'm overloaded on those & those little tote purses.

victoria secret = white overpaid male ceo's.

honey, it's like this EVERYWHERE lol so im soooooooo not surprised. that's why i love supporting BLACK OWNED cause the other don't give a damn about us. they're just focused on fattening up those pockets.

i dont think vs ever does naturally curly hair not even for the spanish girl i think every one hair is straightened since straight hair equals sexy i saw selita i had it on my hd channel and it look like she had a full sew in there were two darker gurls also couldnt tell their hair were so straight but im sure they were black and there might have been another lighter one i guess this is a plus compared to back in the day when it was just tyra, like i was hoping they would like surprise us and bring out tocara or something would be nice to have a plus size model u know someone over size 6 but that might take another decade even though they fill out the bras better lol oh well.

There are no chocolate models to walk the catwalk???To speak of it there are no asian ones, or hispanic ones, or native american ones or all the other non Blond after Blond model walking the runway.

Its not a united nations trade show :look:

victoria secret = white overpaid male ceo's.

honey, it's like this EVERYWHERE lol so im soooooooo not surprised. that's why i love supporting BLACK OWNED cause the other don't give a damn about us. they're just focused on fattening up those pockets.

You're pretty much correct, but VS's CEO is actually a white woman.

Have they ever had many black models? I don't think so. They always have their token 2 or 3 in the magazines so I would not expect the show to be different.

Besides I don't ever buy their bras and panties. Sometimes I will grab some thongs from the semi annual sales, but that's it. Never wear the bras.

I buy their clothes though. The fold over yoga pant are hot! Their dress slacks are so nice, too. Love their sweaters and jeans. Even today I am wearing a nice henley top I got from them. It is all cotton and I have washed it 6 or 7 times and it is still very nice.

Screw the bras and panties.

I love Victoria Secrets. I preatty much only buy their underwear and bras. I hate underwear from Wal-Mart. Victoria Secret does have a model that has natural hair. She is in every catalog in the Pink section. She is a 3 type texture. Compared to other companies, Victoria Secret has a good amount of black models even thought that is not saying much because Black models are underrepresented across the board. Whenever I go through my Victoria Secret catalog, I see color everywhere even though it is the same few faces. You won't even see that in some mags.

Also to ad to my post, from a business stand point, you have to look at what Victoria Secret's target market is. I bet you most of their products are purchased by White women/men so it would make sense for them to have more white models.

Well to my none to surprisable self...There are NO BLACK MODELS...WTF besides a short haired waif selita that doesnt even look like the model she started off as as a curly head...

Hmmm...I am only halfway through the show (I DVRd it) and I have already seen 4 black models. Selita Ebanks, Noemie LeNoir, Emmanuelle Depaula, and one more I could not identify. 2 of them are dark brown skinned.

And their main face right now, on the covers and commercials, is Adrianna Lima--a brunette Latina.

Last edited:
They actually have QUITE A FEW Brazilian models. They may "pass" for "white" from the American point of view...but technically they have a whole slew of women of color + the 2/3 obviously African and/or African-American models.

So, VS is actually quite diverse.

Although some deeper shades of that diversity would be nice.

Last edited:
Back