Verbal Abuse

MaryJane3000

So, I began reading this book that the well-being coordinator at my school gave me and I now realize that I'm in a verbally abusive relationship. There's been times when I've remained calm and tried to keep the disagreement from blowing up by talking sweetly, and he'll start cussing and cut me off and tell me that he doesn't want to hear what I'm saying because I'm not answering his question and its bull****.

For example, I've called him on the phone one time because we had a disagreement over a text, i started rambling about something and i said i know you don't care but it's all good. And he went off and was like I was giving him a lot of attitude and *****ing at him. And i was like what are you talking about i didnt mean it like that. So i just decided to call him instead of repeatedly texting that I didnt meant it like that. And when he picked up the phone he said "what" with a lot of attitude and I said to him, *his name*, don't talk to me like that. I've just called you theres no reason for you to be rude off top. And his response was you're not gonna tell me how to talk on my f**** phone that I pay the bill for. So what do you want? And I tried to debate it with him but it was such a smaller point on the bigger scale that I just gave up.

So then we get into the conversation and basically he asks me why did I say that he didnt care, and I said it's like any other time i've said it, it didnt mean anything i was just talking. Its not really something for you to care about because I was rambling and venting about something that had nothing to do with you. And me personally I ramble, and I'll drag something out until i catch myself and then I laugh it off, and often times when we've hung out I'll ramble n catch myself and say I know you don't care but I'm just saying, and he'll say you're right baby but its ok. and we'll laugh it off. And he goes on to say that he never found it funny and its always bothered him which i find hard to believe. But then he keeps yelling and cussing and I'm trying to talk and he keeps cutting me off saying that it's bulls***, and that he's not going to listen because what I'm saying isn't answering his question and i called him so I have to answer his question.

So in an effort to keep this concise, I got upset, hung up the phone and started crying. I sent him a text telling him he was acting like a jerk over a simple misunderstanding and that he made me cry and he told me to cut the theatrics and that hes not dealing with my dramatics (just because I do theater, everytime I get upset and cry its a scene or something). So basically after that I decided i wasnt going to talk to him and I went to my internship and school and work the next day and turned my phone off and deactivated my fb account and sure enough when i turn my phone on by the late afternoon. I find that he's texted me because he wanted to take me out to lunch before he went to work. And he left me two voicemails and was saying how he couldnt find me on fb.

I always have the problem of when he gets upset he thinks he can talk any type of way and plenty of times his temper catches me offguard. A simple misunderstanding where I apologize numerous times just for hurting his feelings even if I dont think I did anything wrong( like me going to the club with a group of my girlfriends) he still holds onto his anger and escalates everything. NO ONE has ever talked to me the way that he has. I'm not a passive person and I've never let anyone walk over me or take advantage of me. I'm the girl that'll slap or curse a guy out in the club for grabbing my butt. But for some reason with him I'm always letting him get away with stuff and I just tell myself its not worth the fighting because I know he loves me and he's just angry. He always invalidates my feelings and it makes me feel like Im going crazy. So I know these are all signs of verbal abuse and i can name plenty more instances, but how do you stop a guy from talking to you like that? Like do you hang up on him when he starts talking reckless? But if you do that how do you actually talk out the problem and solve it? Idk how I got to this point where I feel like he doesnt respect me and I find myself sometimes talking to him in a way I normally wouldnt just to try and remain relevant in the conversation because it seems that talking like normal people doesnt work for him. I've been with him for about 3 years and it wasn't always this bad, but he always made me feel like I did things that were wrong that normal gfs know not to do. So it was my fault for him getting upset. Any advice?

alot of bifch a$$s ness in the air and in these men...claude hammercy :ohwell:

you teach people how to treat you...i think you know the answer...

What did Maya Angelou tell Oprah..."when people show you who they are, believe them." He has shown you who he is...if this relationship goes further, what you see know will be magnified (one of the best pieces of advice I received prior to marriage).

Sounds like you know this isn't right and you deserve better. You know you cannot change him...that's between him and the Lord. having said all of that, are you ready to let go?

I know, but I really don't know how it got to this point. Like I don't think I'm a doormat for him. It's just that I've tried the fighting back approach and now I'm just tired of fighting. And its like he just snaps. He does the sweetest things and can be so nice and considerate at times but then he'll get upset and I just dont know how to handle it. And he's admitted to me that he'll say things he doesnt meant to purposely hurt me because I'll say something to him that he thinks is a low blow. But I guess, I'm just about done with this relationship, because I'm tired of being the only person thats trying to be mature and its just so draining and I feel like I've been in a relationship throughout college and hes my first everything and I've missed out on some stuff and i dont want to waste anymore experiences because I'm catering to his insecurities. So just like in the future how do deal with it when a guy lets his anger get the best of him the first time and starts talking to you disrespectfully? Do you just end the conversation and hang up on him and then reprimand him the next time he calls you? Like how do yo do that? Given I've never had any guy i've dated, even when he and I have broken up and I had started casually dating talk to me the way he does. But everythings always nice in the beginning right? So you never know if that will never start to happen.

No no kids, we've talked about marriage and kids and whatnot but I've told him that I could never have his child because he has problems. I just feel like hes such a great guy in every way possible but its like he messes up and then he'll buy me something to make up for it and I know thats a sign that theres a problem. Idk i just keep making excuses for him, but I wish there was some way we could work this out because I feel like Im loving him with one foot outside the door. And sometimes I think that may be the problem, that if I was all into it then I wouldn't be doing stuff that makes him so upset, because I'd be more considerate of his feelings instead of thinking i just dont want to deal with it.

No no kids, we've talked about marriage and kids and whatnot but I've told him that I could never have his child because he has problems. I just feel like hes such a great guy in every way possible but its like he messes up and then he'll buy me something to make up for it and I know thats a sign that theres a problem. Idk i just keep making excuses for him, but I wish there was some way we could work this out because I feel like Im loving him with one foot outside the door. And sometimes I think that may be the problem, that if I was all into it then I wouldn't be doing stuff that makes him so upset, because I'd be more considerate of his feelings instead of thinking i just dont want to deal with it.

No disrespect but you sound like a victim of abuse. Girlfriend, you know this isn't right. If he is treating you like this, things are not that great...maybe they once were but things have soured and could it be that you are focused on what once was...please leave him alone...let him get himself together and you get yourself together emotionally

My ex was like that. He would be so sweet and caring, but if he got angry he felt that he could yell, curse and call me out of my name. He'd apologize later and say he didn't mean it, he was just mad at the time. :nono:

I look at it like this - I'm not anyone's doormat, punching bag or whipping boy. A man that loves and respects me will maintain that love and respect even during a heated argument.

This man would talk down to me even over minor disagreements and then use the excuse that boyfriends and girlfriends go through arguments and everyone says things like that when they're mad. I reminded him that he's been mad at his boss, his friends, his family, but he somehow maintained his composure then. Besides, I've had other ltr and those men would never curse at me, yell or call me out of my name.

I guarantee you he knows better, but pulls that crap on women and people he thinks he can intimidate. You are absolutely right about your SO being verbally abusive, and you need to protect your emotional well-being and make him nothing more than a memory.

Same thing w/ my ex. He still brings me money thinking I'll change my mind. But I've been through his crap enough to know that the money/gifts are to shut you up, but he's going to continue to treat you the same way.

As for the 2nd bolded, I assure you that if you make him breakfast in bed, dressed in a thong and pasties and treated him like king of the castle he'd still find a reason to curse you out.

You're not the problem, he is.

I just got out of a relationship like this. I just stopped defending myself bc it was no use. Everything was about his feelings. He was forever having hissy fits about the most stupid things. The break-up was hard, but I'm so glad to have gotten out of that situation.
I think you know what you need to do. Listen to your voice.

These ladies have given you wonderful advice. This man is who he is. He will not change. He will get worse, especially if you marry him. This is indeed verbal abuse and it is not your fault. There is nothing you can do to encourage him to communicate better. This is his deal. I don't think you should hang around any longer. And, you do sound like a classic case of an abused woman. Wondering if it's something you are doing...second guessing yourself...wondering how it all happened and how you two got here. It's HIM, not you. This relationship is not good.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

This is expected from both parties and not one person trying to keep it together themselves. There isn't a special response you could have said to avoid the arguments.

you're right i think ill just finish reading the book and see if it gives me advice on effectively ending it.

If you don't find the answer in that book, I think you can find the answer within. You'll have to be firm and full of resolve. Best wishes to you. You deserve a love that is filled with joy and kindness.

Be with a man who adores and cherishes you, loves and honors you, kisses the ground you walk on no matter what - these are not areas for compromise.

Sorry for what you been going through. Before I got married I was in the same type of relationship. Everything was my fault, I would have to be so careful of what I said because the smallest things would set him. Hes trying to manipulate you into feeling like your a bad person so he always has the upper hand. Those years I spent with my ex where the most miserable years of my life. Do some research on passive-agressive and narcisstic personality disorders. My ex fit the description to a T!

Be glad that your well-being coordinator was looking out for you. Now that you've realized your situation, you can do the rest, and help yourself.

You might have to go to great lengths to end it, especially if he has mental issues ("problems"). Please be prepared to change your number, get 'back-up' if necessary and do not be afraid to ask for help. I really pray you get out of this damaging relationship soon and safely.

This is not your fault.

I'm currently in a marriage like this! It's his way or no way, everyday its an argument,why I didn't answer the phone at work, why I didn't answer the cell phone, when he;s gone he will call me all day at home asking what I was doing. This man is very very controlling,I'm currently setting a plan into place, I started by not renewing our lease we are month to month, saving for a security deposit, moving only what necessary for me and the kids, because at this point its getting worst

If he is got a temper on him now and you only dealing with this over the phone imagine if the two of you lived together...how far would he go. The signs are clearly there for all to see including you so take note before he does something stupid and decide that a good way to make up is to ask you to move in....then back to square 1!

Verbal abuse is ugly and those words do leave scars

I'm still healing

dont make excuses for him, face the truth, what I did

Set my *** free first and let my mind and heart follow-it worked!

I'm sorry you're going through this. Sounds like it's verbal and emotional abuse to me.
His behavior is not your fault, no matter what he'd try to make you believe. You're not crazy. Go with your gut.

I'd advise you to read the abuse sticky thread at the top of this forum and google domestic violence or domestic abuse and just read what comes up.

I wish you all the best.

Get out before it's too late. The next step is complete brainwash. How I know this? Because I've watched my mother go through this for 5 years. She went from telling us the signs of an abusive relationship surviving it before her marriage to my father to going back to one with my step dad. She used to go to Church faithfully. Now, she won't go at all because of her husband. If she leaves the house, or if he leaves, he will call every 5-10 mins. He's controlling, not just to her but to me and my sister as well. I've recently moved back in with them due to economic issues, big mistake, I'm getting out quickly. Please due the same. Verbal and emotional abuse can cause some scars that go very deep and it's not good for anyone. I can care less if that was that person's upbringing, they shouldn't inflict that treatment on anyone. Please get out before it's too late.

Back