Vaseline - Do you use it? LHCF Norm??

Do YOU use Vaseline?

• No

Votes: 177 74.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 60 25.3%

• Total voters
I used Vaseline back when I was a kid. I'll leave that, Sesame Street, and pet rocks back in the 70's LOL I find it so much easier to put coconut oil or sheabutter on my hair. I gotta fight with Vaseline and it smells like my mom hitting me upside the head with a paddle brush. I'm having a flashback LOL

Thanks to anonymous poll responder for bumping this up.

I've been using small dabs of vaseline on the ends of my twists and box braids this winter and I love it! It's a keeper and a staple with no ill effects.

Just before I finish off a twist, I make sure the ends are soaking wet and apply a small amount to the ends and smooth them til they coil up.

No more dry, crunchy ends and surprisingly shed hairs are so much easier to remove.

Thanks for the vaseline tip, it's very much appreciated!

No.

Not because I think it is harmful or anything, its just like hair grease. I was under the impression that it clogs our pore/breakouts and really did nothing to moisturize and/or strengthen the hair and that is the reason why its a pass. This is why I don't use grease. I think coconut oil is just as solid and much better for the skin and hair.

I wonder when Pink Lotion will make a comeback.[/QUOTE]

I said no but....
My SIL uses both and her hair is crazy thick and grows like crazy!! I asked what she uses on her hair, she said she mixes pink lotion, vaseline, that kemi oil and some other stuff I think she said Blue Magic and lathers it on her hair. When she told me that, I could only think back to this forum and all the bad comments again pink lotion and vaseline usage on hair. I may need to mix me up a batch of pinkovaselinekemimagic oil hair tonic, because my hair is weak, brittle and thin.:nono::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I feel like it is too heavy for me. I grew up on grease and I find that my hair is a lot lighter when I use something like coconut oil.

its too heavy for me but i saw a youtuber who has a video of her daughters hair and she uses vasaline and her hair is passed her butt and very thick and healthy.

so i cant knock it, but i wont try it either lol

Petroleum is soooo not my friend. My skin and my hair hates it. It makes it so greasy then after it wears away leaves everything so dry.

I use vaseline on my ends every time after I co-wash to seal them. I think it serves it's purpose.

I wouldn't touch vaseline when I was relaxed. Now that I'm natural, I would definitely consider using it. My hair is so coarse I've noticed only heavy oils do well on my hair.

Never, ever. I thought petrolatum-based products were a big No-No. Mineral oils are also supposed to be a big No-No. So I don't use them.

I use Afro-Veda's shea-amla butter and Asha's omega hair oil (contains an infusion of olive, avocado, coconut, castor, wheat germ oils, plus Vitamin E, plus lavender, chamomile, & ylang-ylang) on my ends.

It doesn't work for my relaxed hair - makes it greasy, yet still dry and rough. However, I think it would probably be fine on my natural hair, especially on the ends.

I sealed with vaseline when I bunned my hair for a few weeks during the summer.I loved the way it made my ends feel, and it gave me a nice wash and go when used under gel... But since I did co wash alot back then, it was getting annoying having to clarify each time, so I switched to Crisco Shortening which gives the same effect,and I still use it till this day...

No never tried vaseline on my hair (but maybe i should at least try it because it keeps my eyelashes long and shiny)

I tried Vaseline out of sheer desparation after 2-3 months of a dry, crunchy TWA and I have not looked back since. It is the ONLY thing that has kept my hair moisturized for DAYZ !!! :yep:

I was using vaseline but whiched to Alba unpetroleum jelly because it's all natural and seals so good. It's very moisturizing for my 4B hair. I love it, especially after a co-wash. :-)

I've never had an issue with Vaseline but I find most people stop using it because of what they heard not because of what it did to their hair per se'. I'm not a band wagoner so I still use what works and ditch what doesn't and so far vaseline since I was a child has never done anything but keep me on point.

I used Vaseline mixed with two different Klorane conditioners (on both my hair and scalp) back in my mid-teens before I was relaxed and it worked great for me. If need be, i will go back to it when I do my BC

OP asked about "lhcf norms". What's a norm on this board with all the trends and bandwagons that blow through here?? :) I don't use mineral oil coz there are other oils that give much more bang for your buck. Keep in mind that when people started using mineral oil and jelly they did it coz it was hard to get other oils and the mineral oil/jelly did the job but there are better options and now that we have easy access to other oils there's no need for vaseline imo - but I am not preachy or dogmatic about this. Just my personal choice. I didn't stop using vaseline, etc., coz of what I read I stopped coz I didn't like how it made my hair feel and I was in elementary school at the time (and that was looooong time ago). People did make choices about haircare and hair products before this stuff was written about on the innanets and such.

Just mix it with an oil blend such as African Royal Hot 6 or Africa's Best Herbal Oil, and it will be fine on the hair--especially the ends.

I don't use it now, but when I was younger, my mom used that AND the pink lotion (not at the same time). My hair was it's longest and healthiest back then.

Back