Vaseline - Do you use it? LHCF Norm??

Do YOU use Vaseline?

• No

Votes: 177 74.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 60 25.3%

• Total voters
I will use it to seal with when my hair won't "act right". It usually takes place after I use a clarifying shampoo.

I think I am REALLY a CNAPP or 4f (I call my bush -"the real deal") --there have been times when the ONLY think that softened my hair and kept moisture in it was to wet it and seal with vaseline or grease. I can use natural oils when i do oil rinses, but if I leave them in, my hair will get hard and stiff. Kind of the opposite of most people:look:...

It washes out real easy for me too.

Now for my neice, who seems to be 4a with cottony shrinkage,--her hair responds extremely well to saturation with natural oils - almond, coconut, and grapeseed which I can leave in her hair and it stays soft.

Now what was that 'bout that jherri curl:grin:--I had one back in the 80's and my hair did grow...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:blush::grin:.

I don't eva do straight up Vaseline. :nono:

I went through a phase of using petroleum based grease to seal ends but I gave that up in favor of lovely oils.

Nope, I don't use it.

Too heavy and my gentle shampoos aren't able to remove it. I prefer my lighter natural oils :yep:

Still/natural lady used it in her YouTube video and her hair looked good.

Castor oil: that thick stuff? Are y'all using it on dry hair? I use it on wet hair and I love it but it seems too sticky for dry hair.

No I don't use it on my hair. It's a bit too thick for me. I just use oils and moisturiser on my ends.

nope not for me there are so many better things i can use for sealing like shea butter, castor oil,coconut oil
why use it at least with shea butter and castor oil it actually has benefits and vitamins in there vaseline is just plain greasy with no nourishing benefits for my hair and if i want i more greasy feel i'll slap on some of my many oils:grin:

It was really hard to give up the grease several years ago and get used to natural oils/butters at first, but I fell so in love with them and NOW I just cant stop my love for them and what they do and look back to grease ever

I'm not KNOCKING ya'll. . . but YA'LL NEED TO MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!!!!! either it's bad or it isn't!!!!! I haven't used vaseline/petroleum/mineral oil in a good little while BECAUSE of ya'll. . . and now ya'll are saying it is good. Imma try it. . . but so help me god. . . :bat:

Last edited:
I'm not KNOCKING ya'll. . . but YA'LL NEED TO MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!!!!! either it's bad or it isn't!!!!! I haven't used vaseline/petroleum/mineral oil in a good little while BECAUSE of ya'll. . . and now ya'll are saying it is good. Imma try it. . . but so help me good. . . :bat:
You are funny. :lol: I hadn't used Vaseline in my hair for over 15 years. But the latest threads made me give it a try. My hair was like, chick are you crazy!!!

I kept having visions of "Coming to American" in my head. You know where the family had the Jherri curls and got up off the sofa and the juice was on the sofa.:nono: Also, if my man wants to run his fingers through my hair, I dont want him to come out with a Vaseline coated hand. :ohwell:

Anyway, after trying it again, I remembered why I stopped using it. First we don't need it. There are so many oils and butter out there that do the the same thing. And secondly, it's attracts dirt and lint (like Bint said) and it's hard to wash out! I will pass on this one.

Still/natural lady used it in her YouTube video and her hair looked good.

Castor oil: that thick stuff? Are y'all using it on dry hair? I use it on wet hair and I love it but it seems too sticky for dry hair.
I can only use castor oil on wet hair too. I think I might have been to heavy handed when I tried it on dry hair.

I've been using a couple dabs on my ends and it's helped them stop tangling when I wear a puff.

I'm not oiling my scalp with it though.

I'm on a hiatus from buying new products and coconut oil wasn't effective and vasaline was sitting there free in my bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't want to sound like a cliche but really there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to this hair thing. Vaseline isn't part of my regimen when I flat iron, but it is for wearing a puff. So it's a case of knowing your hair and using what works for it.

Tis all.

You are funny. :lol: I hadn't used Vaseline in my hair for over 15 years. But the latest threads made me give it a try. My hair was like, chick are you crazy!!!

I kept having visions of "Coming to American" in my head. You know where the family had the Jherri curls and got up off the sofa and the juice was on the sofa.:nono: Also, if my man wants to run his fingers through my hair, I dont want him to come out with a Vaseline coated hand. :ohwell:

Anyway, after trying it again, I remembered why I stopped using it. First we don't need it. There are so many oils and butter out there that do the the same thing. And secondly, it's attracts dirt and lint (like Bint said) and it's hard to wash out! I will pass on this one.
I was sooooo gonna drown my hair in Vaseline with my braidout after I rinse my conditioner out, but the bolded is gonna make me pass. :look:

i dont use vaseline at all.but , i have heard through the grapevine its good for you to use it to moisturize your ends before a hot oil treatment or a relaxer, that the vaseline will make your ends really soft.:rolleyes:

I apply Vaseline to my hairline to protect it during the relaxing process...that's the only time it makes contact with my hair becasue it's just too heavy and sticky for me. I do use castor oil for twistouts and coconut oil to seal my ends.

If it works for you then great cause I still use things that folks think are backwards as well.

I just think its funny that I stopped using it and came to this forum to get other alternatives and it seems like I'd be going backwards...you threw away all that "bad" stuff and now its considered good and you should go buy it again.

What was the purpose of all the coconut, avocado,castor, etc. oil threads if vaseline is suddenly popular again?

I can't jump on this bandwagon. My hair has come too far to go backwards...

And trust, the Pink oil WILL come back....might as well.

If it works for you then great cause I still use things that folks think are backwards as well.

I just think its funny that I stopped using it and came to this forum to get other alternatives and it seems like I'd be going backwards...you threw away all that "bad" stuff and now its considered good and you should go buy it again.

What was the purpose of all the coconut, avocado,castor, etc. oil threads if vaseline is suddenly popular again?

I can't jump on this bandwagon. My hair has come too far to go backwards...

And trust, the Pink oil WILL come back....might as well.

:lachen:You crack me up with your posts. Let's face it, history does repeat itself. I was never one who used vaseline on my hair although back in the day my mother claimed it made my younger sister's hair grow after she tried and tried again everything else including fancy pomades she ordered and received via mail. Haven't used it since buttering up my baby's butt to prevent diaper rash and she's almost three. Don't plan on using it but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I use it and my hair seems to really like it. I use it on wet hair (not scalp). It leaves my hair soft and shiny and not greasy. I have all the various oils and butters and vaseline is no better or worse than any of them, but is certainly the least expensive.

I'm a LHCF newbie and a hair care newbie but a long time natural. I never would have thought twice about vaseline had it not been for this site. But as a natural, it has been a life saver for me when it comes to those pesky little knots on the end of my hair. In short, I don't have an issue with them since the introduction of vaseline or patrolatum based products for the last 2 to 3 inches of my hair.

u guys r a riot in this text. lol nooo vaseline for me, i'll stick to castor and coconut oil, thank u very much

Not to knock anybody reggie but the last time I did try it, It was not good for me :perplexedbut thats when I was practicing not so good hair practices :look:ex.like using it to flat iron my hair with it then wondering why my hair was breaking left and right,:wallbash: Then again that was before I discoverd LHCF:drunk: but who's to say I may try it again with this new approach that everybody doing lately :yep:as a sealant on damp hair method, my motto never knock it till you try.

Is there a LHCF norm? I thought the purpose of this forum was to give people options and information. I do not think you have to knock Vaseline. Do not use it if it does not work for you. I basically cannot use many oils including castor oil. I wont use Vaseline because it's too heavy for my hair and basically I just dont like oils in general. But if it helps others prevent knots or seal in moisture, it really does not bother me if others use it.

Back