Update W. PICS: It's been 27 months since I joined LHCF and started my HJ

I was looking at this thread from a friend's 'puter and she was amazed. I responded 'yeah, the girls [that's what I call you all] know what to do!'
Many congrats to YOU!

WOW!:lick: Great job. You have a beautiful head of hair. You've accomplished a lot in a short period of time :yep: Tailbone here you come :grin:

I would normally pre poo with Amla or Brahmi Oil the night before using powders. I would also do a 10 minute head massage at this time.
Sometimes I added essential oils such as Rosemary or Peppermint.

I started mixing Shikakai and Amla, would add hot water stir and leave for roughly 1/2 an hour to an hour.
I would then strain the mixture through a stocking cap (didn't like using it as a paste as I couldn't get ALL the grit out my hair), pour the rinse over my head and massage my scalp for maybe 5 minutes. I would then place a plastic cap over my head, put cotton wool around the perimeter of my head so that the mixture wouldn't run down my face and leave the mixture in for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
After that, I would rinse it out, use any conditioner to soften the hair, rinse that out then and deep condition with ORS Hair Mayonnaise. I would leave the mayonnaise on for about an hour with another plastic cap.

I didn't stick to the Shikakai and Amla blend. As a lot of you know, some powders are moisturising (Amla, Maka) and some on their own will dry the hair out (Shikakai, Aritha).

Amla is actually more acidic then moisturizing.:yep:

I would change the mixes making sure that there was a balance of cleansing powders and moisturising powders.
I have also used Neem which is good for cleansing, Brahmi which is stimulating so helps with growth and Kalpi Tone which has a blend of many powders.
I never used shampoos when I was using Ayurvedic products.

I used to used Vatika Oil quite often to seal my ends with moisture also.

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking I need to get me some Vatika Oil :look:.

I have sooo many oils to use up, but Vatika was my first love. :love2:

I'm definately going back to the Ayurveda. Not so sure about the vitamins as I'm on a budget... yep :look:.
However, I used Flaxseed, Silica, MSM, Vitamin B Complex and multivitamins. At one point I was using Biotin instead of the Vitamin B.
Hopefully in the future I'll be able to get back to the vitamins.

Ok you got me over here drooling... Gorgeous hair!!! Congrats on your progess!!! See why I love Ayurveda? :drunk: Lol, I've been busy and slacking the past few weeks, but I'm goin hard and heavy on it the next go round.:yep:

^^^

However, Amla does have moisturising properties and that information can be found in many sources.

For your reading pleasure from http://www.naturalcosmeticsupplies.com/amla.html

Description
Herbal Amla is a small to medium sized deciduous tree, 8-18 m in height with thin light grey bark exfoliating in small thin irregular flakes; leaves simple, very many, subsessile, closely set along the branchlets, distichous, light green having the appearance of pinnate leaves. Flowers of Herbal Amla or Indian Gooseberry are greenish yellow, in axillary fascicles, unisexual, males numerous on short slender pedicels, females few, subsessile, ovary 3-celled; Amla fruits globose, fleshy, pale yellow with six obscure vertical furrows enclosing 6 trigonous seeds in 2-seeded 3 crustaceous cocci.

Chemical Constituents
The major amino acids present in herbal amla are; alanine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, lysine, and proline, analysis of fresh fruit pulp gave moisture, protein, fat carbohydrates fibre, minerals, iron, niacin, and vitamin fruit ash contains; chromium and copper.

Cosmetic Uses
Amla or Indian Gooseberry has one of the purest forms of natural Vitamin C, 20 times higher than orange juice. Herbal amla in forms of herbal powder and amla oil nourishes the hair, thickens and darkens it. Amla fruit is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. Herbal Amla is also an excellent conditioning herb.

The Amla fruit yields an oil that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat the hair and scalp. Amla fruit is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier hair growth. Amla or Indian Gooseberry is also an excellent conditioner to use as a hot oil treatment. Amla oil and amla powder is used in shampoos, conditioning rinses, hair pomades and oil treatments. It can also be used in combination with Brahmi oil to strengthen the hair and add body. Amla powder is good in skin disorders, Respiratory infections and Premature aging. The dried amla fruit is detergent and is widely used as shampoo. These are so many known applications of amla tree and its products that many companies dealing in traditional medicines use amla fruit for preparing different formulations for treating several diseases, as health tonic etc.

An Ancient farmula with therapeutis properties designed to penetrate hair shaft and naurish scalp. Indian Gooseberry contains powerful, preventive, protective and corrective qualities. Amla powder is useful in aloepecia and corrects split ends and prevents dryness. Amla encourages blood supply to the scalp.

^^^

However, Amla does have moisturising properties and that information can be found in many sources.

For your reading pleasure from http://www.naturalcosmeticsupplies.com/amla.html

Description
Herbal Amla is a small to medium sized deciduous tree, 8-18 m in height with thin light grey bark exfoliating in small thin irregular flakes; leaves simple, very many, subsessile, closely set along the branchlets, distichous, light green having the appearance of pinnate leaves. Flowers of Herbal Amla or Indian Gooseberry are greenish yellow, in axillary fascicles, unisexual, males numerous on short slender pedicels, females few, subsessile, ovary 3-celled; Amla fruits globose, fleshy, pale yellow with six obscure vertical furrows enclosing 6 trigonous seeds in 2-seeded 3 crustaceous cocci.

Chemical Constituents
The major amino acids present in herbal amla are; alanine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, lysine, and proline, analysis of fresh fruit pulp gave moisture, protein, fat carbohydrates fibre, minerals, iron, niacin, and vitamin fruit ash contains; chromium and copper.

Cosmetic Uses
Amla or Indian Gooseberry has one of the purest forms of natural Vitamin C, 20 times higher than orange juice. Herbal amla in forms of herbal powder and amla oil nourishes the hair, thickens and darkens it. Amla fruit is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier new growth. Herbal Amla is also an excellent conditioning herb.

The Amla fruit yields an oil that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat the hair and scalp. Amla fruit is said to penetrate the scalp and strengthen hair at its root, to stop and reverse abnormal hair loss and to promote stronger, healthier hair growth. Amla or Indian Gooseberry is also an excellent conditioner to use as a hot oil treatment. Amla oil and amla powder is used in shampoos, conditioning rinses, hair pomades and oil treatments. It can also be used in combination with Brahmi oil to strengthen the hair and add body. Amla powder is good in skin disorders, Respiratory infections and Premature aging. The dried amla fruit is detergent and is widely used as shampoo. These are so many known applications of amla tree and its products that many companies dealing in traditional medicines use amla fruit for preparing different formulations for treating several diseases, as health tonic etc.

An Ancient farmula with therapeutis properties designed to penetrate hair shaft and naurish scalp. Indian Gooseberry contains powerful, preventive, protective and corrective qualities. Amla powder is useful in aloepecia and corrects split ends and prevents dryness. Amla encourages blood supply to the scalp.

:yep: I understand all that info. And I won't argue the fact that it may have some moisturizing properties. However I think the potency of the vitamin c in the herb far outweighs any moisture, thus resulting in drier hair if proper conditioning is not followed after a treatment.
Check out this thread. She is one of many who have experienced dryness from this herb.

I tried it in my dc, as a cw , and in tea form. All three leave my hair drier than if I didn't use it. Now I primarily use the powder to cut my shikakai for my cleansing rinse. I understand everyone's hair is different. :yep: So sorry for the hijack...

:yep: I understand all that info. And I won't argue the fact that it may have some moisturizing properties. However I think the potency of the vitamin c in the herb far outweighs any moisture, thus resulting in drier hair if proper conditioning is not followed after a treatment.
Check out this thread. She is one of many who have experienced dryness from this herb.

I tried it in my dc, as a cw , and in tea form. All three leave my hair drier than if I didn't use it. Now I primarily use the powder to cut my shikakai for my cleansing rinse. I understand everyone's hair is different. :yep: So sorry for the hijack...

Lol... don't worry about it. Forums are for sharing info, experiences and ideas so thanks for the information.

OMG! Your hair growth is amazing. I will continue to wear my wigs for protective styling for the rest of this year after seeing these pics.

Vestaluv you know I lurve your hair and thank you soooooo much for the update sis :hug2:

Keep up the good work you are great inspiration for us UK Ladies !!!

x stella

Okay so I tried the Kalipitone stuff (which I have had for ages) mixed in with my pre-poo and I must say that it really did leave my hair looking soft and more manageable :cloud9:. I also swear that it made my hair darker :perplexed

Okay so I tried the Kalipitone stuff (which I have had for ages) mixed in with my pre-poo and I must say that it really did leave my hair looking soft and more manageable :cloud9:. I also swear that it made my hair darker :perplexed

It does make the hair darker. The more you use it, the darker your hair becomes over time.

Wow, that is some tremendous growth! Why did you end both transitions, if you dont mind me asking?

I was at the stage where I either BC or relax as I was finding dealing with the too dramatically different textures difficult. Also, my natural hair is very very thick compared to my relaxed hair. I'm just obviously not ready to go natural because I opted to relax and not BC. I just like to wear my hair straight when I do wear it out.
When I'm REALLY ready to be a natural, I will do it.

You've made incredible progress, Vestaluv. Very inspirational.

Last edited:
Back