Under Wig/weave Care

MsSanz92

What is your regimen for taking care of your hair in protective styles like wigs and weaves? Also, what are you guys using to moisturize your hair? I've been using the Nu-Gro Spray Moisturizer for years, to moisturize my hair when I wear protective styles, but I want to see what else is out there. I also use Simplicity Hair Oil 2-3x a week, which I LOVE. It's very light and leaves the hair very soft; in my opinion worth the price because nothing else I've seen works nearly as well.

I think you're doing just fine, but for me, I wear my hair in twists under wigs so i have easy access to it. I moisturize my hair with qhemet biologics burdock root butter cream and then I use either Jamaican black castor oil or any type of spray to moisturize. I just make sure all products are cone, paraben and mineral oil free. One spray that I found actually moisturizes is Obia naturals curl hydration spray. I got a spray from Herbnlife that smells very good and also moisturizes wonderfully, but not as good as the obias.

I'm very interested in care regimen for sew ins. Thinking about trying one out for a protective style but I currently cowash every 3 days... not sure if that's achievable with sew ins.

What is your regimen for taking care of your hair in protective styles like wigs and weaves? Also, what are you guys using to moisturize your hair? I've been using the Nu-Gro Spray Moisturizer for years, to moisturize my hair when I wear protective styles, but I want to see what else is out there. I also use Simplicity Hair Oil 2-3x a week, which I LOVE. It's very light and leaves the hair very soft; in my opinion worth the price because nothing else I've seen works nearly as well.
I wear cornrows under my wigs and I use a spray moisturizer from APB, which is really good or dilute a moisturizer in water with Aloe and use that. I use any sealing oil especially castor based oils and coconut oil to Prepoo.

I wear cornrows under my wigs and I use a spray moisturizer from APB, which is really good or dilute a moisturizer in water with Aloe and use that. I use any sealing oil especially castor based oils and coconut oil to Prepoo.

What's the name of the spray moisturizer from APB?

I'm very interested in care regimen for sew ins. Thinking about trying one out for a protective style but I currently cowash every 3 days... not sure if that's achievable with sew ins.
Co-washing every three days with a sew in isn't feasible. You can wash and condition every week to every other week but the best way to keep your hair moisturized is using a spray bottle or applicator bottle with a light weight moisturizer to apply on the braids. Never oil your scalp and go to bed or lay down (pretty much oil your scalp before work or school). The oil will get on the weave causing the hair to look greasy and flat. It can be remedied by using dry shampoo. Hth

Thank you! Tips on washing, dcing, and drying under a sew in?? I'm curious how you get to the hair.
I don't DC but you can. You will need applicator bottles....one filled with diluted (water) shampoo & conditioner. I like adding a little acv to the diluted shampoo to help cleasnse my scalp. You will apply to both the shampoo and conditioner between your braids...using the pads of your fingers to scrub. Rinse extremely well and dry the braids before going to go bed or your may end up with mildew.

I swear by DC'ing regularly while in sew ins. Typically all I do to the hair underneath is DC, mild shampoo with spray bottle, and then oil with a light oil, I like the Mane Choice growth oil right now.

Back