UNDER-PROCESSED HAIR

Vanessa22

I'm not quite sure why under-processed hair is bad. It makes complete sense why over-processed hair can be damaging, but what about underprocessed hair?

I really believe my hair was underprocessed during my last relaxer, since I can still visually see the newgrowth from the past 6 months. The only difference I've noticed was the fact that the new growth is wavier and isn't as tightly coiled as prior to the relaxer.

So, why is under-processed hair considered to be bad?

I really don't think it's under-processed hair that's so bad. What's bad is to have two different textures--which tend to cause breakage....

I mean, I'm texturized--so my whole head is "underprocessed"...haha
wink.gif

Vanessa, I think that Model is right. If the entire head of hair is the same texture you shouldn't have a problem. You run in the the problem, however if the hair had been previously straightened and your touchup is not quite as straight. That's when you'll experience breakage.

lol at Anjel...

Thanks for all your replies! I think I
understand...
scratchchin.gif

I guess I have to be extra cafeful these next few months so as not to cause any unnecessary breakage, then. So far so good, though!

I don't really understand why having different textures leads to breakage. . .some people have different textures naturally. If you take care of all the textures (i.e. moisture, protecting the ends, etc) why would this lead to breakage?

Yeah, I really don't understand too much either. If their both healthy textures, then why would underprocessed hair lead to it breaking?

Maybe they're referring to combing and the extra stress it can possibly induce on the two textures. But I haven't had any problems with combing since the relaxer. I can definitely say that it's been a lot easier and tangling isn't much of a problem as it was prior to the relaxer.

We have to figure this out inkysphinx!
smile.gif

Anky, do you think it was from being underprocessed or from something else that you might have or have not done to cause this?

How are you so sure that being underprocessed caused this?

I'm scared now!
shocked.gif

Vanessa, it's very simple... u have zzzzz----- the point of texture change is very weak, so the straight part snaps and sheds off. This is a known fact, this is why underprocessed hair is bad. It can be healthy, but that point of intersection is not.

My new growth is texturized and the rest is relaxed. I havent experience much breakage. I have noticed that my end always snapping when they get to a certain length but I think this is from overprocessing from my past relaxers. My new growth is a lot stronger than my relaxed hair so I guess hair could snap in between the two textures although I haven't expereinced this. (knock on wood)

[ QUOTE ]
inkysphinx said:
I don't really understand why having different textures leads to breakage. . .some people have different textures naturally. If you take care of all the textures (i.e. moisture, protecting the ends, etc) why would this lead to breakage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have different textures of hair, as you mentioned, but the difference is there is not a different texture of each strand of hair. I think it's a question of consistency, particularly for dry hair.

Yeah Vannessa under processed hair is definitely bad
frown.gif
. I had my hair under processed and like you thought it was a good thing because the hair wasn't getting that straight which meant the peptide bond wasn't broken but this assumption later caused alot of breakage. The reason being is the more coiled your hair is the less moisture that can be distributed to your ends. Our sebaceous glands naturally secrete oil from our scalp and this oil is suppose to keep the hair moisturized the more coiled your hair is the drier the type may be because the harder it is for the oil to get to the total length of your hair strand. When your hair is under processed the coiled hair is holding the moisture and the straight processed hair which needs it the most is becoming more and more dry which = alot of breakage. You can remedy this affect by simply moisturizing daily and eliminating styling unless protective until your next touch up. It is definitely better for your hair to be all one texture.
smile.gif
Hope this helps
smirk.gif

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I'm beginning to understand things much better. Since I haven't experienced any significant breakage, I'll continue to do what I've been doing: daily conditioner washes and protective styles. The only thing that I will be doing differently is paying extra care to the strands, as well as the ends by increasing the moisture.

Wish me luck!

Hey ladies I wanted to add this helpful explanation of underprocessed hair that Tracy wrote in a thread about a year ago. I have sections in my hair that are not as straight as others and I have not had many problems with breakage. I do however, have truely underprocessed sections which only feel silky when heat is applied, otherwise, they feel and look the same way that Tracy describes underprocessed hair. This was an extremely helpful explanation to me and hopefully it will be just as helpful. Hope you don't mind me pulling this up Tracy.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:Just as an aside - I notice a lot of people discussing "underprocessed" hair as if that simply means "not as straight as usual"....

I just wanted to add to the thread (tho I can totally respect that some folks have better luck with no lyes - if they work for you, do go with it. Absolutely do what's best for YOU) that this isn't quite so. underprocessed hair is hair that is fuzzy, dull and weak because the relaxation process never quite completed. Just because your hair doesn't get as straight with one relaxer as another doens't mean it's underprocessed. It just isn't as straight....

Now one may not like the "not as straight" result - but that doesn't mean the hair is underprocessed. Unerprocessed hair is a serious problem that requires TLC and lots of care to correct. "Not as straight" hair may be annoying for some - but it's not really a fatal flaw in the land of haircare mishaps.

My point is just that the two are different. I only wanted to add that so that people new to the haircare thing didn't get confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Vanessa22 said:
Yeah, I really don't understand too much either. If their both healthy textures, then why would underprocessed hair lead to it breaking?

Maybe they're referring to combing and the extra stress it can possibly induce on the two textures. But I haven't had any problems with combing since the relaxer. I can definitely say that it's been a lot easier and tangling isn't much of a problem as it was prior to the relaxer.

We have to figure this out inkysphinx!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
My hair has been underprocessed for a long time and I have not experienced any breakage at all between the two textures. Detangling is very easy for me and shedding is only the minimal amount. The only breakage I've had was before I came to the hair boards when I was using a lot of heat and in the nape area (when I tied my satin scarf too tight).

Thanks for that Lili! That was helpful! I must admit that my "not as straight roots" do NOT look dull or fuzzy or appear to be weak. Which are all great signs. In fact, they seem to be the healthiest! I'll be sure to keep Tracy's words in mind.

Isis, it's also very nice to hear you haven't had any negative results. Hope things continue to work out for you. In the meantime, I'll be paying close attention to my hair to see if I notice anything...

Thanks, ladies!
I knew I could count on you!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
atlien said:
Yeah Vannessa under processed hair is definitely bad
frown.gif
. I had my hair under processed and like you thought it was a good thing because the hair wasn't getting that straight which meant the peptide bond wasn't broken but this assumption later caused alot of breakage. The reason being is the more coiled your hair is the less moisture that can be distributed to your ends. Our sebaceous glands naturally secrete oil from our scalp and this oil is suppose to keep the hair moisturized the more coiled your hair is the drier the type may be because the harder it is for the oil to get to the total length of your hair strand. When your hair is under processed the coiled hair is holding the moisture and the straight processed hair which needs it the most is becoming more and more dry which = alot of breakage. You can remedy this affect by simply moisturizing daily and eliminating styling unless protective until your next touch up. It is definitely better for your hair to be all one texture.
smile.gif
Hope this helps
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a doctor in the house!! LOL, Girl, you KNOW your stuff!!
smile.gif

model_chick717 said:
I really don't think it's under-processed hair that's so bad. What's bad is to have two different textures--which tend to cause breakage....

I mean, I'm texturized--so my whole head is "underprocessed"...haha
wink.gif
I agree. :)

With me, underprocessed hair made me transition to natural! :D

Awww, thanks for bumping Dana...
My hair is def. two different textures and breakage is def. not a problem. I actually like the underprocessed areas b/c they feel a lot thicker and stronger than the old relaxed parts of my hair. My relaxed hair is healthy with blunt ends, but it will never regain it's natural thickness it use to have :(. I am really leaning towards texturizing my hair.

I don't think it's bad. I'm about 50% relaxed. My hair looks like my natural hair blowdried. The problem is my ends which the hairdresser over relaxed imo(looks 80% relaxed). The problem is when two textures have it out. If you can control that then I don't think you should have any problem. My new growth now shrinks up about 85% while my texturized hair shrinks about 50%...they're closer in texture now so I can go longer between touchups with no issues.

Last edited:
Back