Twisting FOR Growth Challenge Part 2

I'm in..I currently have twists using extensions into a a bun. I didn't want the hassle of taking braids in and out, plus there will be times where I will need to wear my hair out. But this wicked weather has done a number on my hair so I am hiding it until 70degrees or better emerges.

I Plan to visit the braiding salon every three weeks for a touch up after washing,and conditioning my hair with a equal balance of protein and moisturure..well actually more protein because I am shedding ALOT. While my hair is in twist, I oil my scalp with coconut oil everynight with a applicator bottle and tied it down..DONE!!

A question on twists. How do you keep them from not unraveling at the roots? No matter how tight I twist them at the base it always ends up puffy and loose. I would braid and twist but to me that would kinda defeat the purpose of twists in the first place. Maybe I'll just try braiding my own hair without extensions next time...

Bump...

So I decided to be frugal and nix the extensions. It's about time I learn how to deal with my own hair anyways. For some reason my twists came out real dry when before they use to be so moisturized. I think it's because I didn't use the olive oil mousse this time. I'm going to be alternating between braids and twists each week or two though. When the weather gets warmer I'll try my hand at braidouts. About my fuzzy roots I'll just have to suck it up and braid the base then twist the rest. Maybe once I get my shea butter I'll have better luck. I hope it agrees with me though.

I'd like to join, will post pictures in the next hour.

Edit: On second thought, I am still going to twist, but I'd also like to try some rollersetting in the next few weeks here, so I think I will just visit this thread a lot.

No problem...Lately I've been doing the CurlyNikki Twist n Curl style and really like it. So this will definitely be part of my twist routine.

:yay: I finally figured out a way to post my pics. I didn't want to upload my pics on Photobucket because I have a tendency to forget where I post my pics...

Good for you..I still don't know how to post pics on here w/out using sites like Photobucket..LOL

I'm in..I currently have twists using extensions into a a bun. I didn't want the hassle of taking braids in and out, plus there will be times where I will need to wear my hair out. But this wicked weather has done a number on my hair so I am hiding it until 70degrees or better emerges.

I Plan to visit the braiding salon every three weeks for a touch up after washing,and conditioning my hair with a equal balance of protein and moisturure..well actually more protein because I am shedding ALOT. While my hair is in twist, I oil my scalp with coconut oil everynight with a applicator bottle and tied it down..DONE!!

Can't wait to see how much growth you are able to achieve. Thanks for joining.

A question on twists. How do you keep them from not unraveling at the roots? No matter how tight I twist them at the base it always ends up puffy and loose. I would braid and twist but to me that would kinda defeat the purpose of twists in the first place. Maybe I'll just try braiding my own hair without extensions next time...

My hair is pretty curly, so I don't have an issue w/ unraveling. What are you applying to hair before you twist. Twisting gel might help if you're not currently using.

I am in, I need to take pics of my hair, I will post before the challenge starts.

Thanks for joining..I'll add you to the list.

before pic

Do you normally wear mini/small twist? How long does it take you to do them?

I have been doing the mini small twist for a month now. It takes me at least three hours and a half. I was thinking about not making them as small next time. They are a lot of work but they are worth it. I enjoy getting up in the morning and not having to do my hair. I just spray them and go.

I have been doing the mini small twist for a month now. It takes me at least three hours and a half. I was thinking about not making them as small next time. They are a lot of work but they are worth it. I enjoy getting up in the morning and not having to do my hair. I just spray them and go.

Nice...How long do they last. The 1 and only time I did mini-twist they lasted 11 days. My scalp was SCREAMING wash me!!!!!!!!!!

they can last like 2 weeks. However, I dont let them last as long because my scalp needs relief. I have to wash my hair after 10 days. I usually spray my scalp and hair everyday. I hate the detangling part. Do you have any suggestions on detangling

I would like to join this challenge. I'm going to go one month at a time but I definitely want to try it!!.

ETA: Can I wear my wig on top of my twists?

Last edited:
I use mousse and a creamy leave in to twist. I have some beeswax but my hair felt weird afterwars and washing it out when the time came was too much of a bother. What twisting gels do you use? They don't make your hair flaky? I have a problem with that and gels so the only thing I seem to be able to use with success is IC gel.

i like to use aloe vera gel. It's very light and it keeps my twist in tact. I try not wear my hair down when twisting because my hair is already fine and too much product makes me look like I dont have any hair.

they can last like 2 weeks. However, I dont let them last as long because my scalp needs relief. I have to wash my hair after 10 days. I usually spray my scalp and hair everyday. I hate the detangling part. Do you have any suggestions on detangling

I tend to slather Pantene Condish and some EVOO onto my twist and let it sit on my hair for about 5-10min. For me, this makes detangling my hair a breeze. I don't know what I would do w/out Pantene.

I would like to join this challenge. I'm going to go one month at a time but I definitely want to try it!!.

ETA: Can I wear my wig on top of my twists?

Thanks for joining, and yep, you can wear a wig over yur twist. Main purpose of this challenge is just to see how wearing twist on a consistant basis will allow your hair to grow.

I use mousse and a creamy leave in to twist. I have some beeswax but my hair felt weird afterwars and washing it out when the time came was too much of a bother. What twisting gels do you use? They don't make your hair flaky? I have a problem with that and gels so the only thing I seem to be able to use with success is IC gel.

I use the Twist n Loc Gel on my daughters hair. It's fine and easily unravels. I love this gel b/c it doesn't flake.

I want to join this challenge but don't know if I should...I'm going to start swimming (3x a week) in a few weeks, and I'm worried that co-washing my twists under the pantyhose cap (to help with the frizz) won't get all the chlorine out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I want to join this challenge but don't know if I should...I'm going to start swimming (3x a week) in a few weeks, and I'm worried that co-washing my twists under the pantyhose cap (to help with the frizz) won't get all the chlorine out. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm an avid swimmer. Before swimming, I apply a good amt of castor oil to my twist. After I swim, I mix baking soda w/ water and pour over my twist to clarify. I then rinse w/cool water and apply pantyhose to head. I then add condish over pantyhose and let sit for awhile. I then rinse w/pantyhose on and then let it drip dry. Once damp, I apply more castor oil and let me hair air dry.

Lately, I've been doing the Curly Nikki TnC method, so now doing my hair is effortless.

HTHs...

Thanks oooop2! I'm in then:grin: My hair seems to really like and thrive with twists. Will post starting pics and reggie by this evening.

ETA: OK, here are my starting pics:

P2060076.jpg

Picture of the sides

P2060078.jpg

The back - stretched it comes to about the same place as the next picture

P2060080.jpg

- Right now I keep them in for about a week and a half and wear a twist out for 3-4 days.
- COwash with whatever condish is on hand
- DC everytime I take them down and am ready to retwist
- I baggy every night, spritz 1-2 times a day with either a condish concoction, juices and berries, or african pride braid spray, and seal with either coconut, olive, or castor oil
- Once I start my swimming reggie, I will be applying condish before I go into the water, clarify immediately after with baking soda, pantyhose cowash, and seal with an oil.
- I eat pretty healthy, drink tons of water, and exercise 6 days a week, not to mention the supplements I am taking (training for a triathlon =))

Hopefully, I will see lots of healthy growth from all of these things put together. Good luck and happy hair growing!

Last edited:
count me in, if i haven't posted in this thread already. i wash and retwist my hair every week and i have been doing this since Nov. i plan on doing throughout the year since i will be in school soon and i don't want to mess with my hair too much.

Last edited:
I feel like I am getting bored with my twist. I no that it's in my head because I joined the challenge. I think I will try some flat twist in the front and make my style a little different. I will definitely post some pics.

I know the challenge doesn't start until 2/15/09, but I felt that tonight was the best night to twist my hair. I plan to keep it like this for a week, everynight I will moisturize my ends and back up in the bun they go.

Tonight I co-washed and deep conditioned my hair. Then started twisting. It took me 2 hours exactly. They aren't my best twists but they will do for now.

Attachments

• IMGP0981.jpg
    IMGP0981.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP1003.jpg
    IMGP1003.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMGP1007.jpg
    IMGP1007.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMGP0966.jpg
    IMGP0966.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I know the challenge doesn't start until 2/15/09, but I felt that tonight was the best night to twist my hair. I plan to keep it like this for a week, everynight I will moisturize my ends and back up in the bun they go.

Tonight I co-washed and deep conditioned my hair. Then started twisting. It took me 2 hours exactly. They aren't my best twists but they will do for now.

OMG! These are gorgeous! What do you twist with? On wet or dry hair? And how are you so fast! It takes me almost 3 hours to twist my hair and it's way shorter than yours, lol!

OMG! These are gorgeous! What do you twist with? On wet or dry hair? And how are you so fast! It takes me almost 3 hours to twist my hair and it's way shorter than yours, lol!

Thank you. Tonight I just used shea butter. My hair was wet. It's easier to detangle this way. When done on dry hair, it shows the length more, my hair was already shrunken up by the time I finished my whole head. It normally takes me three hours too. Tonight I did a rush job. No parting. Just grabbing pieces. I got big ones, little ones, and medium sized ones all throughout my head:lachen:

Thanks oooop2! I'm in then:grin: My hair seems to really like and thrive with twists. Will post starting pics and reggie by this evening.

ETA: OK, here are my starting pics:

P2060076.jpg

Picture of the sides

P2060078.jpg

The back - stretched it comes to about the same place as the next picture

P2060080.jpg

- Right now I keep them in for about a week and a half and wear a twist out for 3-4 days.
- COwash with whatever condish is on hand
- DC everytime I take them down and am ready to retwist
- I baggy every night, spritz 1-2 times a day with either a condish concoction, juices and berries, or african pride braid spray, and seal with either coconut, olive, or castor oil
- Once I start my swimming reggie, I will be applying condish before I go into the water, clarify immediately after with baking soda, pantyhose cowash, and seal with an oil.
- I eat pretty healthy, drink tons of water, and exercise 6 days a week, not to mention the supplements I am taking (training for a triathlon =))

Hopefully, I will see lots of healthy growth from all of these things put together. Good luck and happy hair growing!

Thanks for joining. I'll add you to the list. And if at anytime your hair just doesn't feel right b/c of the swimming, definitely go back to what you're comfortable doing.

And KUDOS on the triathlon!!!

count me in, if i haven't posted in this thread already. i wash and retwist my hair every week and i have been doing this since Nov. i plan on doing throughout the year since i will be in school soon and i don't want to mess with my hair too much.

Thanks for joining...I'll add you to the list :)

I feel like I am getting bored with my twist. I no that it's in my head because I joined the challenge. I think I will try some flat twist in the front and make my style a little different. I will definitely post some pics.

I get bored also. When that happens, I try to change up my style by doing twist updos, chunky twists/twistouts, and lately I've been doing the Curly Nikki Twist n Curl style.

Really cute!!!!! I bet your twistouts are going to look FAB!!!

pretty twist ladies. I just did a twistout. I think I am going to wash hair this weekend and do twist a little bigger.

Here are the pics. I am not satisfied with my length. Cant wait until it grows.

Attachments

• Image-10.jpg
    Image-10.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Image-11.jpg
    Image-11.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 63
thanks donewit. Seems like the growth takes its time sometimes. I am dreading washing my hair. It takes so much to detangle. Not looking forward to that.

Back