Twist Out Woes

janaq2003

When I separate my twists, m hair tends to "Web" and doesn't want to make a clean seperation. It ends up making my hair frizzy and puffy. I've tried a lot of different things to try to prevent the frizz bit no matter what I do this happens. Any suggestions?

When I separate my twists, m hair tends to "Web" and doesn't want to make a clean seperation. It ends up making my hair frizzy and puffy. I've tried a lot of different things to try to prevent the frizz bit no matter what I do this happens. Any suggestions?

YMMV (your mileage may vary), but this is what I do:
  1. Detangle JUST before applying my twisting products.
  2. Apply twisting product via the shingling method that separates the strands into separate clumps. I make sure to do the shingling from the root all the way through to the ends.
    1. First I apply a super slippery leave-in that makes shingling a breeze.
    2. Then I apply my holding product. I actually use a super high hold gel instead of a twisting cream.
When I do this, I am able to separate and fluff and shape my twists and get virtually no frizz or puffiness.

Here is a video that shows product application for shingling and discusses avoiding puffiness, and then shows the shingling. THEN it contrasts shingling with raking so you can see the difference.

So what I do is shingle a section then twist it up.

HOWEVER, here is how the YouTuber above does her twist out, which comes out great:

@YvetteWithJoy Thanks for the tips! My hair is more coarse so it probably won't behave like this but I'll give it a try!
I dont understand, I've been natural 3.5 yrs and now my hair is acting a fool..

LOL!

I understand! My hair is a diva! Holds her nose up at products that most naturals adore. Acts like she has been violated if I ask her not to tangle. LOL!

I hope others chime in with help. What works for me may not work for you, but I thought I'd share.

Here are pics of my results using the detangle, immediately apply super slippery leave-in via raking (e.g., Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion), immediately apply super strong gel (or twisting cream) via shingling, twist up, wrap and pin twists around head, then style once dry.

WP_20171003_020.jpg

WP_20171003_017.jpg WP_20171003_069.jpg

Please click the small photos to enlarge them.

NOTE: Most times I separate and fluff much more, for a more voluminous twist out.

Last edited:
-What product do you use? You need something with moisture and hold to ensure your hair sets properly?
-when was your last trim? Hair that needs a trim acts a fool in general
-is your hair completely dry when you untwist?

Flat twists!!!!

I can't separate my hair because it will always web. It doesn't matter the product or the moisture level in the hair. It's all about the twisting technique.

Even if you can't flat twist large sections or twist close to the scalp, it really helps to pre-separate the strands. So instead of a two strand twist, mine are more like 5 or 6 strand twist.

My hair doesn't like to stay in flat twists.. it swells up and unravels,
I use Camille rose almond jai for twisting. I have also trimmed recently. Tonight I tried to really focus on my detangling which took a little longer and I'm doing a braid out. We'll see how "sybil" cooperates tomorrow

How are you twisting your hair? Are you rotating the two parts, then twisting them together? Rotate, then twist, etc.. this makes the twists more defined, and helps reduce frizz. Nonie taught me that over 10 years ago. The twists should look like a rope, not a twizzler if that makes since?
Oh and watch what product you twist with. If it has a bunch of humectants, they aren’t gonna hold up well, they will swell and frizz. Try using a twisting pudding, or foam. Jane Carter, Lottabody, and Design Essentials has very nice foams that will help and won’t leave your hair crunchy. They work well with other products.

Last edited:
My hair doesn't like to stay in flat twists.. it swells up and unravels,
I use Camille rose almond jai for twisting. I have also trimmed recently. Tonight I tried to really focus on my detangling which took a little longer and I'm doing a braid out. We'll see how "sybil" cooperates tomorrow

Sybil.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

How are you twisting your hair? Are you rotating the two parts, then twisting them together? Rotate, then twist, etc.. this makes the twists more defined, and helps reduce frizz. Nonie taught me that over 10 years ago. The twists should look like a rope, not a twizzler if that makes since?
Oh and watch what product you twist with. If it has a bunch of humectants, they are gonna hold up well, they will swell and frizz. Try using a twisting pudding, or foam. Jane Carter, Lottabody, and Design Essentials has very nice foams that will help and won’t leave your hair crunchy. They work well with other products.

Ooooooo! Do you know of a video showing what you mean by rotate then twist? Do you have a pic of a rope-look versus a Twizzler-look? TIA!

You may need to use something that will keep frizz at bay while helping to keep your hair moisturized.

I used to have the same problem. The first solution was making smaller twist. On a normal wash day, I will have 7-8 twist on each half of my head. So I would half each twist. I don’t concern myself with detangling once I am done rinsing conditioner, but if you are worried about webbing, detangle right before twisting, make sure you aren’t twisting too tight, and are gentle when removing the twist.

While I try to keep my product usage light for twist outs, I don’t and still end up using about 4-5 things (mainly due to moisture retention) but I try to avoid using glycerin and honey containing products, and do a final seal with a decent holding gel. Not a crunchy one. Big difference. If you do use a glycerin product, use it early and not the last product.

You may need to use something that will keep frizz at bay while helping to keep your hair moisturized.

I used to have the same problem. The first solution was making smaller twist. On a normal wash day, I will have 7-8 twist on each half of my head. So I would half each twist. I don’t concern myself with detangling once I am done rinsing conditioner, but if you are worried about webbing, detangle right before twisting, make sure you aren’t twisting too tight, and are gentle when removing the twist.

While I try to keep my product usage light for twist outs, I don’t and still end up using about 4-5 things (mainly due to moisture retention) but I try to avoid using glycerin and honey containing products, and do a final seal with a decent holding gel. Not a crunchy one. Big difference. If you do use a glycerin product, use it early and not the last product.

@Saludable84, do you have a list of twist out fave products that don't have glycerin or honey like you mentioned? Also do glycerin based products work differently for you in the winter versus summer?

@Saludable84
About the bolded, which gel would you say has a decent hold but does not leave your hair feeling crunchy? Thanks in advance.

@Saludable84, do you have a list of twist out fave products that don't have glycerin or honey like you mentioned? Also do glycerin based products work differently for you in the winter versus summer?

For my leave ins:
APB Cupuaca and Avocado lotion
HQS Greaseless Moisture*
Oyin Hair Dew*
*Both contain castor oil, but since I use them first, it hasn’t been an issue.

Moisture:
QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

Oil:
I either omit or use a small amount of HBCO.

Butter:
Bekura Palm Tapioca
QB Amla and Olive
I’m sure I just can’t think of others.

Seal:
-Flaxseed Gel (best hold if you choose to use humectants) but I hair will eventually fluff up. Leaves nice body and gives 3 day hair.
-Ecostyler JBCO. Gives a 5 day hold, however, your style will “die” over time. You will eventually get a TO->WNG kinda look, but it won’t shrink up too much.

Gel doesn’t seem important, but I did a twist out once with QB Alphabet Butteras the last product and flaxseed Gel save my style. By the end of the day, I had a fro. So I redid my twist with just the flaxseed oil the same night and it had really good hold. My hair was still a tad big, but defined. See/Click the picture below.
023EB023-ACAC-4048-9663-9806C2C89909.jpeg

ETA: @Aggie

For my leave ins:
APB Cupuaca and Avocado lotion
HQS Greaseless Moisture*
Oyin Hair Dew*
*Both contain castor oil, but since I use them first, it hasn’t been an issue.

Moisture:
QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

Oil:
I either omit or use a small amount of HBCO.

Butter:
Bekura Palm Tapioca
QB Amla and Olive
I’m sure I just can’t think of others.

Seal:
-Flaxseed Gel (best hold if you choose to use humectants) but I hair will eventually fluff up. Leaves nice body and gives 3 day hair.
-Ecostyler JBCO. Gives a 5 day hold, however, your style will “die” over time. You will eventually get a TO->WNG kinda look, but it won’t shrink up too much.

Gel doesn’t seem important, but I did a twist out once with QB Alphabet Butteras the last product and flaxseed Gel save my style. By the end of the day, I had a fro. So I redid my twist with just the flaxseed oil the same night and it had really good hold. My hair was still a tad big, but defined. See/Click the picture below.
View attachment 416225

ETA: @Aggie

@Saludable84, thanks sis! By the way your hair is so thick and lucious!

Back