Twist-out...and then what???

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
I put my wet hair in twists until it was 95% dry and then I took the twists out. The twist out was very nice, each section looked good, but I couldn't do a thing with my hair. :nono:

I had some MAJOR shrinkage. When I started separating some of the sections, it only served to make my hair more frizzy. I ended up just putting my hair up in a bun. It looked nice and I got a lot of compliments, but it was rather frustrating because I couldn't do anything with my hair.

It looked really messy, and not in a cute messy way. :nono:

Any advice??

When I do braid outs I let my hair dry 100% to avoid it being frizzy. I also use NTM Silk Touch to help as well.

After a twist out I try not to manipulate the hair too much because it WILL get frizzy. Next time, just try to style without actually separating each individual twist. This should reduce a lot of the frizz. HTH.

Thanks for the advice.

Also, my hair was a mess when I took it out of the twists. It was mostly dry, but my hair just stayed in the individual sections, I finger combed a little bit and it didn't do anything. It jus tlooked like a big, shrunken. HAM.

I leave my twists in as long as possible so that they dry fully. I always have the best twistouts when my hair has been twisted for upwards of 2 or 3 days. They are easier to separate after they have "settled", IMO. Try that next time.

Be sure to apply a product of your choice that give some hold and let the twists dry fully before undoing them.

I usually do mine in the evenings and sit under the bonnet dryer for about 20-30 minutes, then they continue to dry overnight. As my hair is quite fine I actually comb my twists using a large tooth comb. HTH.

When I do braid outs I let my hair dry 100% to avoid it being frizzy. I also use NTM Silk Touch to help as well.

Ditto to the bolded. Also, I put a very light coat of oil on my hands to help the twists unravel easily and uniformly. I also fluff my twist-out with the handle of my rat-tail comb to give my hair some volume.

Did you part your hair or anything? Just try to make the twists lay exactly as you want it styled after you take them out. If you want more definition without seperating them, try doing smaller twists next time.

I agree, let them dry completely. Shrinkage is gonna happen ;)

Letting your hair dry completely is key. I liked some of my not-so-dry twist-outs as well but they were more like afros a different look.

However, you should practice post twist-out hairdos for moments when you're not pleased with a current twist out. I just grab my hair and place it where I want it or wherever it looks cute on my head and pin.

Definitely let it dry 100% :yep:

what products do u use? I always have the best, biggest results when I use a light mousse (Dove Body & Lift is fabulous) and a tiny bit of serum before twisting. Once I take them out, I fluff, bend over and fluff, fluff some more, then fluff one more time for a big voluminous halo of curls. Dang, just thinkin about it makes me wanna go twist it right now! :drunk:

practice makes perfect! My first twistout, I was like ummmm, is this it? :look: but I got better and better at making it look bigger and more defined.

Definitely let it dry 100% :yep:

what products do u use? I always have the best, biggest results when I use a light mousse (Dove Body & Lift is fabulous) and a tiny bit of serum before twisting. Once I take them out, I fluff, bend over and fluff, fluff some more, then fluff one more time for a big voluminous halo of curls. Dang, just thinkin about it makes me wanna go twist it right now! :drunk:

practice makes perfect! My first twistout, I was like ummmm, is this it? :look: but I got better and better at making it look bigger and more defined.

Exactly :yep:, I find the right moisture balance and a little oil for sealing along with completely dry hair works/ loks best. Sometimes, I have a semi-wet twist out too but letting it dry will eliminate the chances of you getting that undefined look. A little serum or curl activator on wet hair is good for definition of curls too. Practice makes perfect! When I started my twist outs would only look good for 1 to 1 1/2 day:sad: but now I can go for several days:yep:.
HTH

However, you should practice post twist-out hairdos for moments when you're not pleased with a current twist out. I just grab my hair and place it where I want it or wherever it looks cute on my head and pin.

I agree.

I usually do my twists on Saturday morning to give them plenty of time to dry when I really want 100% dry hair. Monday morning I untwist with some cream moisturizer on my hands, finger comb with coconut oil, throw a head band on and I am out the door.

I don't get frustrated with my hair and what it wont do. I Let it do what it will and work with that. There is always a way to use creative inspirations to turn a mess into a work of art.

I personally like when my twistouts have some volume and slight frizz to them which is how I am wearing my hair today. The Starbucks barista loved it.

The first time I did a twist out I didn't like the results either. And being the person I am, I haven't tried it again! I also wasn't sure what product to use on my hair, as I was very new to the natural thing, and this arizona air has no moisture at all. My hair was dry and it frizzed up on me.

I think I'll give it another go and work with it to see what I can come up with.

Did you part your hair or anything? Just try to make the twists lay exactly as you want it styled after you take them out. If you want more definition without seperating them, try doing smaller twists next time.

I agree, let them dry completely. Shrinkage is gonna happen ;)

i parted my hair. Was that bad?

Girl, you finger combed a twist out that was not fully dry. That is the ultimate recipe for H.A.M. with my head. Both of those are a big, fat :nono:.

As someone stated earlier, leaving them in for as long as possible always give me the best twist out. I need at least three days for my twists to set. And in those three days, I apply coconut oil daily to the length and especially the ends of the twist. When I take the twists out, I might "ruffle" the roots a bit to make the parts from the twists disappear, but absolutely do NOT touch the length of the twist.

Hi there...co-signing on the hair being completely dry. As I was reading, it seemed that you thought not having it completely dry was a part of the twist out regimen. Can I ask....where did you get that advice? Or did you just think that's the way it went for that style? I'm just curious...

I like my twistouts with shea butter after all the washing and conditioning.

If I want it well-defined and kind of culry looking I do shea butter and Hard-to-Hold IC Gel. The hold still is very soft because of the shea butter...but it's extremely well-defined and lasts 3-5 days without having to re-twist. I just bonnet and sleep. :grin:

With no gel, I re-twist each night. Forgive me for not having a lot of pics posted. I have upwards of 70 progress pics but they are ALL in my camera. Lazy.

Anyway...I hope this helps you.

Happy and healthy hair growing!

Christi

Hi there...co-signing on the hair being completely dry. As I was reading, it seemed that you thought not having it completely dry was a part of the twist out regimen. Can I ask....where did you get that advice? Or did you just think that's the way it went for that style? I'm just curious...

I like my twistouts with shea butter after all the washing and conditioning.

If I want it well-defined and kind of culry looking I do shea butter and Hard-to-Hold IC Gel. The hold still is very soft because of the shea butter...but it's extremely well-defined and lasts 3-5 days without having to re-twist. I just bonnet and sleep. :grin:

With no gel, I re-twist each night. Forgive me for not having a lot of pics posted. I have upwards of 70 progress pics but they are ALL in my camera. Lazy.

Anyway...I hope this helps you.

Happy and healthy hair growing!

Christi

I thought that my hair was dry (my hair is really thick so its hard to tell) it was about 95% dry. After I started taking them down, I couldn't really do anything about it because we had people over that night.

Are you supposed to secure the twists?

Back