Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Has anyone in here tried a mud wash or hair detox? If so, what were your results?

The Terressentials site doesn't recommend using their mud wash on relaxed hair, so I'm afraid to use it on my transitioning hair. I did use a bentonite clay mixture on my natural DD and it was AWESOME. I can't wait to be able to use it myself.

Things have been so much easier since i have been keeping my hair straight but it seems like I am growing out of my cut quickly. it is looking like a frumpy bob instead of cute and chic when it was first cut. since its inverted the hemline is messing up the whole look now that it is longer. I should have just gotten a blunt cut.:ohwell:

I dont know if i should let it grow out, cut it bluntly or just BC.

Yesterday was wash day and I decided to try out my Komaza samples. After I shampooed, I used Komaza's protein strengthener and used the cool setting on my blowdryer to dry it into my hair. It was really soft after I rinsed. The only thing is I'm not sure exactly how long to leave it in my hair. The bottle doesn't say. Anyway, after I deep conditioned I used the Matani Repair Treatment and then the Matani Leave in Conditioner. As you can tell this was the week for protein. I let it air dry then raked it back in a loose ponytail and put my bonnet on. When I woke up this morning my hair was really really soft.

So I added the Shea Butter Hair Lotion from Komaza and I actually like that a lot. I put some gel on top to smooth my hair back for my bun. But I'm getting a little tired of the pink ecostyler. The hold is incredible but it makes my hair crunchy. The only time it isn't as crunchy is if I put a little coconut oil on it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something good to seal with that gives some kind of hold?

KammyGirl try Kinky Curly Curl Custard. I just bought it so I haven't had AMPLE time to experiment but I did use it about twice this week and 2-3 times last week. There is a fine line between putting too much and the right amount as I'm sure is the case with any gel. I used it for the same purpose as you were using Ecostyler, for smoothing my hair to pull back in buns. It held pretty well. Also on all but one day my hair wasn't crunchy at all. It was very soft and shiny. In fact one day I didn't co-wash after cuz I was being lazy so I went to sleep with the gel on my hair and used it again in the morning without build up. Another day, on the other hand, I thought I didn't use much but apparently I did because my hair was crunchy and by nightfall I had developed light white residue. But for the most part I like it if I use the right amount.

I can't stop thinking of how I'm going to do my hair after I BC. I thought of straightening it but since I'd be doing it myself for the first time, I'm thinking that's not a good idea.

Imagine getting heat damage my first time out the gate? I think I'll try enjoying my curls first--but I don't even know how to wash n go.

I don't wanna wear a bun bc I do that everyday anyway. Twistout? Meh.

Decisions, decisions. Dayjoy's post really has me thinking.

ETA: I really should have BCed at 17 months bc I don't think I have enough hair to really consider myself transitioning. And now all I can do is think about snipping those last ends off.

Last edited:
I cut most of my relaxed ends off. A few straight pieces here and there but I guess I'm pretty much at the end of my transition. 21 months! I'm itching to straighten to check my length. I was hoping at 2 years I'd be about APL. I think I can get there by the end of the year definitely as when I stretch my hair it's past my shoulders.

My sister also cut all her relaxed ends off at 1 year post. So now we're both excited about finishing our transitions.

I am going to deep condition. Blow my hair out. And trim today. I'm sick of my hair this week. Just annoyed at it. No real reason. Lol ;)

@KammyGirl try Kinky Curly Curl Custard. I just bought it so I haven't had AMPLE time to experiment but I did use it about twice this week and 2-3 times last week. There is a fine line between putting too much and the right amount as I'm sure is the case with any gel. I used it for the same purpose as you were using Ecostyler, for smoothing my hair to pull back in buns. It held pretty well. Also on all but one day my hair wasn't crunchy at all. It was very soft and shiny. In fact one day I didn't co-wash after cuz I was being lazy so I went to sleep with the gel on my hair and used it again in the morning without build up. Another day, on the other hand, I thought I didn't use much but apparently I did because my hair was crunchy and by nightfall I had developed light white residue. But for the most part I like it if I use the right amount.

I just bought Taliah Waajid Curly Cream and used it today with my flexi rod set. I put it on my edges and a little on the front before I put my headband on. It has a nice hold and my new growth had a cute wavy look. I'm going to try the Kinky Curly Curl Custard next! Thanks for the suggestion.

I can't stop thinking of how I'm going to do my hair after I BC. I thought of straightening it but since I'd be doing it myself for the first time, I'm thinking that's not a good idea.

Imagine getting heat damage my first time out the gate? I think I'll try enjoying my curls first--but I don't even know how to wash n go.

I don't wanna wear a bun bc I do that everyday anyway. Twistout? Meh.

Decisions, decisions. Dayjoy's post really has me thinking.

ETA: I really should have BCed at 17 months bc I don't think I have enough hair to really consider myself transitioning. And now all I can do is think about snipping those last ends off.

Why don't you try wash n go's now. Of course they won't look the same once you are fully natural but at least you can get the practice in.

I'm still in the early stages of my transition but even when I was trying to decide if I should go natural I was stalking youtube wash n go videos. I can't wait to try it myself. I have all the methods practically memorized. lol

Why don't you try wash n go's now. Of course they won't look the same once you are fully natural but at least you can get the practice in.

I'm still in the early stages of my transition but even when I was trying to decide if I should go natural I was stalking youtube wash n go videos. I can't wait to try it myself. I have all the methods practically memorized. lol

Thanks KammyGirl Do you have any favorite videos to suggest? I'll start practicing this week.

daviine I like MahoganyCurls because she has a few videos on it with her hair at different lengths, different weather, how to make them last, etc. And she has really pretty hair.

I went ahead & did some kinky twists on Thursday/Friday & goodness gracious it took a long time to do them. I poo'd & did a protein treatment with ORS Mayo then moisturizing DC with Elasta QP DPR 11+. Hoping to keep them in for a while because it took too long to get them in.

RANDOM THOUGHTS

I really like my natural hair so far. My natural hair is much different than I ever remember (I was a pre-teen when I relaxed after a few years of having a Vigoral (remember that?). Also, I didn't get my hair washed and conditioned as often as I wash or condition my hair now.

I wish I had stopped relaxing my hair YEARS ago. People who don't know me say to me, "oh, you have "good" hair." :lachen:

I always wear my hair pulled back in a bun or top knot (keeping my relaxed ends tucked away) and I have waves all over! :spinning: Who knew? Thank goodness I have fine hair or I doubt I'd be able to handle it if it was thick and coarse.

Done flat ironing. I trimmed it to just below APL. (Maybe between shoulder blade?). The ends were in a sad sad state. Those chemicals just eventually leave me with no hair. I guess my natural hair is about collar bone length/shoulder length. But with shrinkage she is ear length. Ugh!

I am so happy to run my fingers through my hair. Nice!

(The last picture is my roots after they had been partially air dried.)

Attachments

• image-647438695.jpg
    image-647438695.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image-4290643516.jpg
    image-4290643516.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image-3805219032.jpg
    image-3805219032.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Omg I bought a 12" inch clip in to add some length and thickness to my hair and my hair is longer than the dern clip in. I am sitting here tripping! LOL

I have not bought weave hair in so long. I forgot how long my hair is. Guess I can use it for thickness but for length I need it longer next time. Oh well......

My roots were puffy this morning. I was NOT feeling that at all. Today I miss being relaxed.......

daviine I have fallen in love with wash n gos. I am super lazy and once I discovered I can get curls without braiding and twisting all the time I've hopped on and will ride it until the wheels fall off! Low manipulation and doing wash and gos a lot worked really well for me several years ago when my hair was telaxed....that was the longest my hair ever got...just past APL about an inch from bsl. I hope I get the same growth results!

Anyway I'll find some good videos for you when I get home from work. What works best for me so far is cowashing, adding leave in, and smoothing a generous amount of eco styler or IC polisher gel. I have yet to do a long, tedious wash and go. I work in about 5 our 6 sections...takes me maybe ten minutes. after smoothing the gel on I rake it through with my fingers. last step is a layer of coconut oil so it won't dry hard. Then spritz again with water, shake like a dog and go. Make sure hair remains soaked when applying product and then leave alone until dry.

Then for a few days I can soak with a spray bottle, shake and go again in the morning. I tried Mini pineapples, and banding or braiding, but I lose too much definition and can only get it back by rewetting.

ForumRunner_20130421_104756.jpg

32 weeks post this week and I'M SO BORED with my hair!! I've thought about getting it over with and chopping sometime this summer before classes start again just out of boredom. Hopefully this feeling goes away soon cause I really want to go a full 18 months.

Other than that everything is going well. A couple products aren't working quite as well as they once did but I've found some other things to replace them. Kinda just coasting along at this point. :yawn:

I'm 23 months post today and just got my hair braided into a beehive yesterday for my lace wig. I'm hardcore ps-ing for the rest of the year. I've also reintroduced myself to growth aids after nearly 2 years of going without it. I WILL be mbl by the end of 2013.

RANDOM THOUGHTS

I really like my natural hair so far. My natural hair is much different than I ever remember (I was a pre-teen when I relaxed after a few years of having a Vigoral (remember that?). Also, I didn't get my hair washed and conditioned as often as I wash or condition my hair now.

I wish I had stopped relaxing my hair YEARS ago. People who don't know me say to me, "oh, you have "good" hair." :lachen:

I always wear my hair pulled back in a bun or top knot (keeping my relaxed ends tucked away) and I have waves all over! :spinning: Who knew? Thank goodness I have fine hair or I doubt I'd be able to handle it if it was thick and coarse.

At the bolded: I find this statement relative but I totally get what you mean. As for me, I really like my texture simply because I've learned how to take care of it. I can't wait for the day when I am completely natural so that I can appreciate my hair in full. :yep:

After resisting for so long I think I might get a weave or high quality lace front. I will be really busy this summer and I don't think I will have time to maintain my hair at all.

After resisting for so long I think I might get a weave or high quality lace front. I will be really busy this summer and I don't think I will have time to maintain my hair at all.

I'm feeling the same way... My hair is going to be way too much to manage this summer. Especially with working out. I'm trying to hold out until after graduation though.

At the bolded: I find this statement relative but I totally get what you mean. As for me, I really like my texture simply because I've learned how to take care of it. I can't wait for the day when I am completely natural so that I can appreciate my hair in full. :yep:

agree 100%

Well, it's been 3 weeks since I had my kinky twists installed and I have absolutely LOVE THEM. But, due to NJoy's growth mix, I will have to take them out this week. I have about 3/4 inch new growth and my braids are dangling dangerously. So, I'll be back to dealing with my hair real soon. Not looking forward to it either. Y'all send me some good vibes. I have no idea what I will do with my hair once it is released from these beautiful twists. Lord help!

Back