Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner is ama-zing; Ojon is great for detangling too, I had very little shedding or breakage :yep: I like this!

The deeper I get into my transition the worst my braidouts look

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Try rolling the braids to the scalp and doing braid-n-curls instead. Or check out sylver2's braid-out vid when she's 10 or 11
months post. That might help.

me and my transition - an update

- deep conditioning is key. i can't live without my deep condish.
- i gave up on "out" styles. ponytails and buns. period. that's all i got.
-this weave saved my life this summer. i am sick of having my hair up, but i know the minute i take my hair out i am going to miss the weave.

one more year to go....i think.....it's either gonna be 2 years or 3. i'll see how it goes. long story short, if you need me, i'll be HERE IN THIS THREAD. don't look for me in the big chop support group anytime soon. LOL:grin:

me and my transition - an update

- deep conditioning is key. i can't live without my deep condish.
- i gave up on "out" styles. ponytails and buns. period. that's all i got.
-this weave saved my life this summer. i am sick of having my hair up, but i know the minute i take my hair out i am going to miss the weave.

one more year to go....i think.....it's either gonna be 2 years or 3. i'll see how it goes. long story short, if you need me, i'll be HERE IN THIS THREAD. don't look for me in the big chop support group anytime soon. LOL:grin:

Thanks girl!
You are doing great so far.
So how many months out of the year do you wear a weave?

MsDee14 said:
Try rolling the braids to the scalp and doing braid-n-curls instead. Or check out sylver2's braid-out vid when she's 10 or 11
months post. That might help.

Thanks ,I will look into that. My crown area is just rebelling the braid out lol

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Hey Sistas!

I'm still lurking/checking on your progress even if I don't post. If you want some inspiration, I took three pics today of my four-day hair (on the third day, I re-twisted my hair) while visiting family.

Keep it up! It'll be worth it. I promise you. Oh, yeah, I'm rocking a Qhemet Biologics shirt I won recently.

P.S. Dang it. I forgot to shoot a pic of my back! :blush:

Attachments

• newpic1.jpg
    newpic1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 76
  • newpic2.jpg
    newpic2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 61
  • newpic3.jpg
    newpic3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 65
shortt29 said:
Leslie_C and PinkSunshine77
My last relaxer was 2/27 so we are all close to the same time :grin: This is going to be a looong transition for me unless my relaxed ends decide to drop out of the game sooner

LOL! I say 2 yrs but who knows. Only when I'm comfortable and I darn sure will be able to make a bun/ ponytail before I chop anything. I've been watching a lot of Fusionofcultures, longhairdontcare2011 & Hair crush vids. Now I'm real anxious to see my real hair texture without these processed ends.

I am looking forward to two and a half more inches this year! Can I get an Amen! and for ladies who get more stop bragging LOL, just Amen with us! LOL

So... I'm dropping out of this thread because I am officially natural as of yesterday afternoon. I'm still in shock and its sooooo short to me because I had bsl hair for a long time. I still have some straight pieces but they will be gone soon.
No one noticed I cut my hair until my sister seen me detangling and she put me in my mom room and yelling, "mom Toya cut her hair off". So my mother is upset but do I care, HECK NOOOO. My sister said I look like Camille from Hawthorne.
All I know is that I'm happy with it and I have no more matted, dry relaxed ends and my hair isn't shedding like crazy. I'm going to do the CG method and see how that works.

Attachments

• image-312600476.jpg
    image-312600476.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image-559217118.jpg
    image-559217118.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 52
  • image-4101850740.jpg
    image-4101850740.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 48
I just received my order from Sephora today. This is my very first purchase from them. I ordered Carols daughter transitioning kit, some face scrubbers, nail designs for dd, and a ton of samples. I got all that and a flat iron! Are they just giving away flat irons or what? Am I lucky or is this typical? I was not charged for the flat iron.

OMG, I JUST LOOKED THIS FLAT IRON UP, IT'S WORTH $200!!!

Last edited:
@Leslie_C and @PinkSunshine77
My last relaxer was 2/27 so we are all close to the same time :grin: This is going to be a looong transition for me unless my relaxed ends decide to drop out of the game sooner

shortt29 and pinksunsine77 Heck Yeah! We can all struggle together! :lol:

Hey Sistas!

I'm still lurking/checking on your progress even if I don't post. If you want some inspiration, I took three pics today of my four-day hair (on the third day, I re-twisted my hair) while visiting family.

Keep it up! It'll be worth it. I promise you. Oh, yeah, I'm rocking a Qhemet Biologics shirt I won recently.

P.S. Dang it. I forgot to shoot a pic of my back! :blush:

chrisanddonniesmommy you make it look so easy! I could stand to learn a lot from you! Shoot there is no rush to chop when you are rocking what appears to be a natural head of hair and seamlessly blending the two textures. You are doing an awesome job! Im going to be picking your brain soon, so be prepared!:yep:

I am looking forward to two and a half more inches this year! Can I get an Amen! and for ladies who get more stop bragging LOL, just Amen with us! LOL
JJamiah thats my growth rate too...no shame in that!! Anything more than 1/2 an inch a month is just a bonus anyway :)

So... I'm dropping out of this thread because I am officially natural as of yesterday afternoon. I'm still in shock and its sooooo short to me because I had bsl hair for a long time. I still have some straight pieces but they will be gone soon.
No one noticed I cut my hair until my sister seen me detangling and she put me in my mom room and yelling, "mom Toya cut her hair off". So my mother is upset but do I care, HECK NOOOO. My sister said I look like Camille from Hawthorne.
All I know is that I'm happy with it and I have no more matted, dry relaxed ends and my hair isn't shedding like crazy. I'm going to do the CG method and see how that works.

toyas08 Congratulations on your BC. It looks beautiful! How long did you transition? It looks like you have plenty of hair to work with to me...Im sure its a big shock since your hair was much longer before, but Im sure you will get used to it in no time. Enjoy your natural journey!

I just received my order from Sephora today. This is my very first purchase from them. I ordered Carols daughter transitioning kit, some face scrubbers, nail designs for dd, and a ton of samples. I got all that and a flat iron! Are they just giving away flat irons or what? Am I lucky or is this typical? I was not charged for the flat iron.

Meemee6223 wow you got a free flat iron??? stuff like that never happens to me lol. What kind is it?

Leslie_C said:
Meemee6223 wow you got a free flat iron??? stuff like that never happens to me lol. What kind is it?

Leslie_C I just looked it up on the internet. It's a ghd gold series limited edition pink cherry blossom. It's worth $200! I'm ecstatic! Dh was like "do the right thing, mail it back to them. WWJD? I was like JESUS WOULD ASSUME IT WAS A GIFT! Touch this flat iron and u DIE old man!!! NOW BACK UP!!!

This flat iron only goes up to 185°! WTH? Why is it so expensive? Man, I wish they would've slipped up and sent me a CHI, with my ungrateful self.

ETA:185°c, 365°f, still not hot enough. Oh well, maybe I can use it when I don't want my hair too straight.

Last edited:
@Leslie_C
Pick away before I completely lose it. :lachen: In all honesty, I've found that the best way to make it through the transition is by finding a good, simple regimen that doesn't require you to do half a million things in a day. Eliminate product junkyism by finding what works for you (I believe in trial and error as long as you don't go overboard financially and time-wise) and sticking with it. Also, air drying and ceasing (or perhaps once a year use) of heat can be very helpful. Oh, and trim every two months. It can definitely eliminate matting and tangling (plus, you get to your natural hair sooner :yep: :lick:).

Whatever you need, I'm here. I'll still be here for about nine or ten months. I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited:
@Leslie_C
Pick away before I completely lose it. :lachen: In all honesty, I've found that the best way to make it through the transition is by finding a good, simple regimen that doesn't require you to do half a million things in a day. Eliminate product junkyism by finding what works for you (I believe in trial and error as long as you don't go overboard financially and time-wise) and sticking with it.

chrisanddonnesmommy alrighty, you asked for it lol. What is your regimen and can you tell me step by step how you do your twistouts and what products you use on them? Is that your staple style? Have you worn your hair in "out styles" most of your transition?

Styling will be a breeze for you as a natural because you have the twistout down to a science! teach me, teach me!:lol:

Has anyone found a good deep conditioner that makes your hair feel really soft, or conditioner with slip that helps you comb through the two textures?

Aussie 3 Min is my boo thang.

Leslie_C I just looked it up on the internet. It's a ghd gold series limited edition pink cherry blossom. It's worth $200! I'm ecstatic! Dh was like "do the right thing, mail it back to them. WWJD? I was like JESUS WOULD ASSUME IT WAS A GIFT! Touch this flat iron and u DIE old man!!! NOW BACK UP!!!

I hit everyone with this LOL.

This flat iron only goes up to 185°! WTH? Why is it so expensive? Man, I wish they would've slipped up and sent me a CHI, with my ungrateful self.

ETA:185°c, 365°f, still not hot enough. Oh well, maybe I can use it when I don't want my hair too straight.

Dang how hot do you want it LOL. You dont wanna heat damage it boo.
My hair got pretty straight on 340F (I have silky fine hair though), just try it and see how it works for you. If not you can always sell it on here :yep:

@chrisanddonnesmommy alrighty, you asked for it lol. What is your regimen and can you tell me step by step how you do your twistouts and what products you use on them? Is that your staple style? Have you worn your hair in "out styles" most of your transition?

Styling will be a breeze for you as a natural because you have the twistout down to a science! teach me, teach me!:lol:

Okay:

• Shampoo with sulfate-free shampoo (Giovanni's Smooth as Silk) every two weeks or once a month (depends on my schedule). I rarely clarify my hair. My hair doesn't like it at all because it's drying. But, when my hair feels gunky, I have to shut up and use Giovanni's Tea Tree Shampoo to cleanse it.
  • DC once every two weeks (I used to do it once a week - but as I noted I just wanted to keep it simple) with Silk Elements Mega Silk Moisturizing Treatment; however, I recently read an article on blackgirllonghair.com (great resource by the way) that suggested using aloe vera gel/juice and an oil of choice wrapped under a plastic cap for about twenty minutes to cut time since you don't have to rinse it out. I'll let you know how that goes.
  • Since I'm at the gym four days a week, I co-wash once or twice a week, which keeps my hair moistened and funk-free, :spinning:). My rinsing conditioner of choice is Suave Almond and Shea Butter, which I've used for two years now. I've used trial and error to conclude that this product is my holy grail.
  • Thus, if it's a shampoo/dc week, I will only co-wash once that week to avoid hydral fatigue (e.g. water damage).
  • I moisturize and seal with Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew (love it!) and my oil mixture of coconut, EVOO, rosemary, and peppermint (my own little heaven in a mason jar!) once a day (sometimes every other day, if my hair is okay). When it's a co-wash/shampoo day, I use Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Milk instead.
  • I air dry my hair in twists often. After a co-wash/shampoo, I wrap my hair in a Turbie Twist (love them!), and wait for my hair to dampen, but it's not fully wet. Once it's damp (not wet), I section my hair using butterfly clips. Afterwards, as I prepare to detangle my hair with a wide-toothed comb, I use the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Milk as my leave-in, followed by Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Once my comb has been detangled and moistened, I apply my oil mixture. Then, I twist away. Sometimes I'll twist in 8 large twists, or if I'm feeling fancy, I'll go for about more medium twists. I pin my twists up to protect my ends. I normally use a satin bonnet. But, I have my satin pillowcase as back up when I'm not feeling it. When I fluff them out, I don't overfluff, three times does it for me.
  • When I don't twist my hair, I'll wet bun using the curl milk and my oil mixture, which is tied with a silk scarf. To smooth my edges and my hair overall, I will use Ecostyler Argan Oil Gel (the amber brown one).
  • I do have a wig that I'll use when the mood strikes. But, I try not to use it often because I want to learn my hair's personality during this transition. Wigs are cool, though. On those days when you feel like cutting or going back to relaxing, invest in one to shake it off. For real! Also, the best part about the Fall/Winter is berets and other fierce hats! With some bangin' hoop earrings, your hair style is done for you.
  • I do trim my relaxed ends about once every other month to eliminate matting, breakage (which is inevitable but manageable with the right tools), and tangles. Doing so also helps twist outs and braid outs look fuller, bigger, and neater.
  • I rarely use heat. The last time I used heat was December 2011 when I flat-ironed it for my aunt's funeral.
  • I use Jamila henna when the mood hits (but it's not often at all).
  • I drink nothing but water (although an occasional iced coffee sneaks in). Diet and exercise is very important to me. Caring for your internal self helps your external beauty! I get my protein via lean meats, fish, veggies, etc. I use a prenatal vitamin once a day.
  • Patience and the love of Jesus. I can't lie and say it's been easy. But, I can say that once I started, I didn't want to use a relaxer again. When I got ticked, I thought about big chopping and talked myself off the ledge.
There's my dissertation, :lachen::lachen::lachen:. If I've forgotten anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. It does get easier though. As long as you use resources like LHCF and other sites for transitioning/natural hair, you won't regret your decision.

Last edited:
ZebraPrintLover I want a flat iron that gets up in the 400s. I know that's hot but my hair is very coarse and I don't flat iron often. I actually can't wait to use it, though. It has excellent reviews.

Last edited:
chrisanddonniesmommy thanks so much for the breakdown! My regimen is amazingly very similar and I use the majority of those products too lol. Its good to know Im on the right track! My styles are usually bantu knot outs or twistouts that fail and turn into a puff :lol: or a high bun with variations of all slicked back, bangs, or flat twists on the side. Ive recently discovered two strand twists and Im enjoying those too! The relaxed ends look too anorexic to wear them down, but they look cute pinned up in various ways. And I can leave my hair alone for an entire week (thumbs up for no manipulation!). This is my second set and they are holding up better than the first set. I took the first set down by day 4, but Im on day 5 of these and Im sure Ill be good until day 7 or possibly even longer if I want. Its cool though bc I didnt think Id like twists on myself, but I actually digging them. Ill reasses what they look like Wednesday because I go back to work for 2 12's Thursday and Friday...so Ill either take them down Wedneday and prepoo/wash/dc/style or Ill stretch it out til Friday night and do my ritual that night and/or Saturday AM.

Meemee6223 lol @ungrateful self. I had a Chi Turbo for a long time and it only went to that temp too, but it worked really well. My hair is very kinky, but kind of fine and Ive never liked the "sleek" look much on myself anyway. Before transitioning most of my haircare journey was texlaxed so even when I flat ironed Id curl it all over with the flat iron bc stick straight hair looked :nono: on me. Ive always had a thing for big hair and pin straight made my hair look like paper lol. Anyway my point is I think that temp is plenty high enough unless you are going for pin straight. I mean when you are natural Im sure you will want it to get as straight as possible to make it last as long as possible without reverting, so you may want to upgrade then...400 would probably be ok on the natural part if your hair is very coarse, but it may damage the relaxed part and make it break off. I have one that goes higher now... I havent used it since my mini chop in mid May, but I kept it at about 350 or so anyway bc I was too scared to go higher!:spinning:

ZebraPrintLover I want a flat iron that gets up in the 400s. I know that's hot but my hair is very coarse and I don't flat iron often. I actually can't wait to use it, though. It has excellent reviews.

LOL, I dont knock you bc mines get up to 450F I believe. If I go straight I wanna go straight, not half assing it LOL

ZebraPrintLover said:
LOL, I dont knock you bc mines get up to 450F I believe. If I go straight I wanna go straight, not half assing it LOL

Exactly! But the more I read the reviews the more I think I can work with this flat iron. People swear it's better than a CHI. We'll see... Damn, these kinky twists!

Leslie_C said:
Share your secret tot he perfect twistout! Ive abandoned it for now bc mine never came out good enough to wear down lol. Id have to put it in a puff or pinup.

I use KeraCare Twist & Define Cream and a tiny bit of Ecostyler gel on dry hair in medium section. I curl the ends with Satin pillow case rollers

chrisanddonniesmommy thanks so much for the breakdown! My regimen is amazingly very similar and I use the majority of those products too lol. Its good to know Im on the right track! My styles are usually bantu knot outs or twistouts that fail and turn into a puff :lol: or a high bun with variations of all slicked back, bangs, or flat twists on the side. Ive recently discovered two strand twists and Im enjoying those too! The relaxed ends look too anorexic to wear them down, but they look cute pinned up in various ways. And I can leave my hair alone for an entire week (thumbs up for no manipulation!). This is my second set and they are holding up better than the first set. I took the first set down by day 4, but Im on day 5 of these and Im sure Ill be good until day 7 or possibly even longer if I want. Its cool though bc I didnt think Id like twists on myself, but I actually digging them. Ill reasses what they look like Wednesday because I go back to work for 2 12's Thursday and Friday...so Ill either take them down Wedneday and prepoo/wash/dc/style or Ill stretch it out til Friday night and do my ritual that night and/or Saturday AM.
Leslie_C if you could get around to it, will you PLEASE post a picture (or five :look:) of your hair in the pinned up twists? This style sounds SO PRETTY and I want to try it, but I'm not creative at all and need to see it first.

@Leslie_C if you could get around to it, will you PLEASE post a picture (or five :look:) of your hair in the pinned up twists? This style sounds SO PRETTY and I want to try it, but I'm not creative at all and need to see it first.

Dayjoy...I just created an album in my fotki for twists. This second set I put two flat twists on each side and then single twisted the top and back. It was quicker and added a little sass lol. Next time Ill do 4 small ones on each side instead of two. I was trying to copy another style I saw, and it didnt turn out like that, but I still liked it.
http://public.fotki.com/lesliemostly/transitioning-may-2/two-strand-twists-t/

Some of the pics were taken just messing around brainstorming and not worn as a style. They may not give you the ideas you are looking for so here are some suggestions: Bantu knot them overnight like loose hair. Wear headbands/hair toys (hair zing,those long flamingo clips,etc). Leave hair in the front out for bangs or make a pompadour with it. Side bun/knot. Top bun/knot. Pin them all to one side. Loose french twist. Banana clips-vertically or horizontally.

HTH! If you do them I wanna see pics!

Back