Transitioning is too much fuss: anybody ever tempted to just cut it all off?

ajoyfuljoy

Have you ever thought of just cutting all your relaxed hair off instead of transitioning? I think this would be ideal for me but I'm afraid of what I'll look like! The couple of times I've tried to transition it was difficult to detangle b/c my hair is so thick...it is quite an ordeal! Plus, why put so much effort into the relaxed hair if you are just gonna cut it anyway?

IDK, just trying to spark a discussion. Thoughts anyone?

I am right there with ya on this one! If not for the fact that I am afraid i would look like a deranged alien I would cut it ALL off and start from scratch..........I am simply not that brave :nono:

ME! I really want to cut, but I'm afraid I'll lose my man. lol

(not really, but I know he won't be into it... I won't be that much into it either)

I'm in that boat myself. I am almost 12wks into my transition, and I'm not having problems, but I am getting tired of seeing the same thing. I know that IF I cut it, it won't be until this summer, so that I will have some time to grow out my hair when school is out. I did a mini chop on Feb. 7th, and I got it cut into a bob. It's working out nicely for me. I think by the end of this year I will have grown out all of my relaxed hair. It's kinda daunting. I am already making plans for my natural hair!

Last edited:
go ahead girls! Neith, you wanna get rid of your texlaxed hair?

I am love with the idea of pampering my natural hair. But I'm afraid of wearing it out so short. I just don't know how it will look. It feels good though to know that I'm not the only one who is thinking like this.

go ahead girls! Neith, you wanna get rid of your texlaxed hair?

I am love with the idea of pampering my natural hair. But I'm afraid of wearing it out so short. I just don't know how it will look. It feels good though to know that I'm not the only one who is thinking like this.

Yep! I'm coming up on 9 months post. :yep:

@ ajoyfuljoy, you are a very pretty girl. And when you're pretty, it doesnt matter if you're hair is long or short. It's just a matter of preference... During my transition, I was soo frustrated. Something HAD to be cut, either my wrist or my hair...lol... I was just over it... I was afraid of what my man would say, but when he saw me, he was amazed... He said it makes me look a exotic, a totally different look. Now, I get scapl massages, something he never cared to do before. I nor him can keep our hands out of it!!!

You will make the right decision for YOU!

What helped me get over my 1-minute "But I'll look weird!" stage was looking at other women's TWAs on Fotki. Oddly enough, once I really started looking, I just didn't see many people who looked all-out bad with their TWAs. :ohwell: In fact, I got more & more pumped to see myself with one. Give yourself a break from all the long-hair photos and Fotkis and go stalk out some with TWAs. It's really not as bad as you think it is. And always keep in mind that your face doesn't change when your hair changes. If you are pretty with long hair, you are still pretty with short hair or no hair. :yep:

Ajoyfuljoy, to co-sign what C.Nicole said......You have stunning face and my opinion is that you would look great either way:grin:. But like she said, you will do what is right for you. But trust that you are not alone in your thinking on this subject. BTW, C.Nichole that cut is a great look on you!!! Beautiful.......(and you get scalp massages.......can you see me turning green with envy???)

Have you ever thought of just cutting all your relaxed hair off instead of transitioning? I think this would be ideal for me but I'm afraid of what I'll look like! The couple of times I've tried to transition it was difficult to detangle b/c my hair is so thick...it is quite an ordeal! Plus, why put so much effort into the relaxed hair if you are just gonna cut it anyway?

No, No No!!!!:drunk: I'll relax again before doing a BC. I don't do well with drastic changes.

@ ajoyfuljoy, you are a very pretty girl. And when you're pretty, it doesnt matter if you're hair is long or short. It's just a matter of preference... During my transition, I was soo frustrated. Something HAD to be cut, either my wrist or my hair...lol... I was just over it... I was afraid of what my man would say, but when he saw me, he was amazed... He said it makes me look a exotic, a totally different look. Now, I get scapl massages, something he never cared to do before. I nor him can keep our hands out of it!!!

Ajoyfuljoy, to co-sign what C.Nicole said......You have stunning face and my opinion is that you would look great either way:grin:. But like she said, you will do what is right for you. But trust that you are not alone in your thinking on this subject. BTW, C.Nichole that cut is a great look on you!!! Beautiful.......(and you get scalp massages.......can you see me turning green with envy???)

You ladies make me e-blush :blush: Thank you for such sweet compliments.

You know this week I was going to do a braidout. But, it didn't dry in time so I had to wear a wig a week (you know I can't be confusing people like that :lachen:). I pincurled my braided hair up and probably spent about ten minutes staring at myself with the "short hair" and I was like, maybe I can do this.

It is something that I've never considered before but I'm trying to be open to new things.

The thing that excites me the most about it is that I'd probably exercise more b/c I wouldn't be worried about that perfect look. Ima keep thinking about this.

I agree and that is exactly how I feel right now. I have only been transitioning since November but it is getting tougher day by day. I actually asked my husband last night how he felt about a BC and he said he would rather I did braids but I'm thinking the BC is looming around the corner. I would love to see myself with really short hair and if I look a mess I'll just have to invest in a good wig

I don't have to be worried about what my mom thinks anymore but I am concerned with what my SO would think (although I still have thoughts and fears of upsetting her post-mortem). I'm glad that your SO liked it! That must have been a load off for you. You do look great with that TWA!

I agree and that is exactly how I feel right now. I have only been transitioning since November but it is getting tougher day by day. I actually asked my husband last night how he felt about a BC and he said he would rather I did braids but I'm thinking the BC is looming around the corner. I would love to see myself with really short hair and if I look a mess I'll just have to invest in a good wig

You feelin' me! It would be great to just cut it off and be under a wig for a while.

Well if you find any good wig sites let me know. It is hard to find good ones sometimes.

ITA with you. You can bc and you can wear half wig for length that compliments your hair texture. I think a member named brockstar did that.

ITA with you. You can bc and you can wear half wig for length that compliments your hair texture. I think a member named brockstar did that.

that's a great idea. Or I saw one fotki/LHCF member that BCed all but her top hair and she uses that to match her half wigs.

same here...hubby shocked me! I shocked me- I was still beautiful :blush: and just yesterday I had to 'spank' his hand to leave my hair alone as we lay down watching t.v.

I like the idea op suggested about looking at TWA's...i know the first week of my 'baldness', I kept doing double-takes of myself...but I honestly had maybe 1 bout of 'regret'...which is impressive for me who often self-guesses herself!
good luck ladies and do what works for you!

i feel very tempted to do a bc, but i know i would'nt be happy with my hair that short again. i know what you mean about not wanting to be bothered putting effort into the relaxed hair. i cowashed my hair 3 times in the past 3 days, because i was supposed to be rollersetting, but i'd sit around and let my hair get dry =/

I will just cosign and say that ajoyfuljoy and the other ladies thinking about a bc don't have anything to worry about concerning how they will look. I tried transitioning for a year and got so frustrated that I relaxed again. Then, I transitioned 6months and did a BC...what happened? I really noticed my face. All your features really stand out when there isn't much hair to notice...someone with ajoyfuljoy's beautiful face shouldn't mind that. Then what happens?... before you know it, your TWA grows out and your wondering what you are going to do with all that hair......Caveat: You will have haters during this brief TWA time because they will wish they had your guts/courage. Then when it grows out, they will ask you "how you grew your hair out."

I so wanted to start just a thread. Arghhhhh! I have been transitioning for 13 months and I know, if I were to reach any nice length, that would be great. BUT

I can not manage. I have kept my hair braided underneath a wig, and aggg. It is to thick, my wig is stretched out:perplexed (The wig has survived like 9 mos:lachen:).

But I is tired. Even relaxed hair under a wig will do.:yep:

I'll keep you guys posted, but I am perming this mess. I give.

If only I could just wear a nappy fro, and get away with it:ohwell:.

I tried to transition about 2 years ago and got sick of the two textures and I just relaxed my hair again. Now that I'm transitioning again, I decided to go from full SL hair to a little under CL hair. But my hair is alot easier to deal with now that I chopped a good portion of it.

ITA. I was in the car tonight examining my new growth and thinking about cutting it all off but my head is huge so idk about doing it. If i ever get that bold i will be weaving it up for a loooooooooooooooong time till it gets to a length i feel ok with.

You feelin' me! It would be great to just cut it off and be under a wig for a while.

Well if you find any good wig sites let me know. It is hard to find good ones sometimes.
Actually girl, my cousin (who is trying to talk me into doing a BC) just sent me a website. It is www.katourlinewigs.com. Let me know what you think. I found some nice ones there.

Ajoyfuljoy, my cousin also sent this to me for inspiration. There are a lot more on You tube and she also has a wonderful hairsite...the link is on the youtube page...HTH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L1IsgXVcV4

Last edited:
No way! I don't even like getting it trimmed. I had a dream that I BCed and I was trying to figure out how I was going to explain it to my husband when he got home. It was a crazy cut, like a man's with no hair around the sides but a little on top. That's one dream that I don't want to come true. :perplexed Funny thing, a few days after that dream one of my fourth grade students told me he had a dream that I cut my hair really short. I know that one day it will have to go but not all at once.

Sick of the two textures and not being able to barely get a comb through my hair, tempted to just chop it off, uh huh... that was me and the BC is exactly what I did. One day I was on the boards talking about how I was gonna wait 'till summer, and the next day I hacked it all off. Went from about 8 1/2 inches down to barely 2 inches. I cut a little more to even it up. Anyway, I previously bought a wig just in case I wouldn't like it and now I'm stuck with a wig that I doubt I'll ever wear! I just loooove my little twa so much!:yep: So far I'm loving all this learning about my texture, different products, experimenting with making my own home concoctions, etc...

My hubby didn't think he would like it (I could tell), but he loves it! Can't believe this Sunday it will be a month since I did the BC and it looks like it's grown some already. I can even do little cute twists.

i hated transitioning. it lasted less than 3 months. then i got out the clippers and went to work, lol. i was scared that my "so" would be mad but he's okay with it. i'm happy with it and it's growing fast.

Back