Transitioners support thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I don't know if I have posted on this thread yet, but I have been reading and it has been a big help.

My last relaxer was Jan 6, 2008. I have been using wigs and it has been going ok, but my head is seriously tired of them and I have just been letting it hang out in a bun this week. But it looks a hot stinkin mess :wallbash:.

I am not good at doing ... well any styles. My hair was cut short in a style so now that it is APL it just looks funny when it is down... like a wierd in between stage. I can't do wash and gos anymore (I used to airdry when I was fully relaxed) now my new growth sticks up like an afro and the relaxed hair falls down so I look horrible! Sorry for the long rant but I need some help.

Anyone can recomend a style that is easy to do that is not a wash and go or bun?

It would be so appreciated

TIA

I don't know if I have posted on this thread yet, but I have been reading and it has been a big help.

My last relaxer was Jan 6, 2008. I have been using wigs and it has been going ok, but my head is seriously tired of them and I have just been letting it hang out in a bun this week. But it looks a hot stinkin mess :wallbash:.

I am not good at doing ... well any styles. My hair was cut short in a style so now that it is APL it just looks funny when it is down... like a wierd in between stage. I can't do wash and gos anymore (I used to airdry when I was fully relaxed) now my new growth sticks up like an afro and the relaxed hair falls down so I look horrible! Sorry for the long rant but I need some help.

Anyone can recomend a style that is easy to do that is not a wash and go or bun?

TIA

Just wanted to send u a ((((hug)))). I understand your frustration. but I have no style ideas. that's why Im glad to wear wigs. I just co-wash and keep my hair plaitted.

17 months and counting....:grin:

It's getting easier. I decided to stop fighting my hair, and to stop covering it up. I've been co washing in the morning, moisturizing, and pinning my hair up for the last week. I don't comb my hair outside of the shower, and it's not even hard to detangle when I do. (Following Southerntease's method [sort of] from when she first started transitioning) My hair actually looks really cute by mid day, b/c it has dried a bit, and the curl definition is CRAZY...

Im at 5mos post(my longest stretch ever) and Im seriously thinking about relaxing next week. Im sick of wigs and half wigs plus its getting hot outside and I know im not going to be a happy camper once the summer really starts. I was considering braids but they do a number on my hairline, im still trying to grow them back from my pixies that I had back in December. I was considering a sew in but with all this new growth leaving hair out is not an option, and im not that great doing a full head without it coming out looking like a conehead. I have been wearing curly hair for most of the year, so I wanted to switch it up this summer and go straight:ohwell:. I dont know what im going to do, but im prepping my hair as I type to relax next week. Maybe I will come across something on the board to help me with my dilema.:grin:

Yesterday made 20 weeks, and all is well. I've been going to the salon and getting blowouts every 2 weeks, so I haven't really had to deal with my hair much. The fact that my stylist is also going natural helped...she was very gentle with my hair.

I'm learning that less is more. I don't do anything but wrap my hair for 2 weeks, after getting it blown out, and I lose very little hair, if any at all. I missed my appointment last week, so I decided to CW this morning. Surprisingly, I only lost about 10-15 hairs...after almost 3 weeks of doing nothing to it. I'm still nervous about how my hair will act today...hopefully it will cooperate, at least until I go back to the salon.

Just wanted to send u a ((((hug)))). I understand your frustration. but I have no style ideas. that's why Im glad to wear wigs. I just co-wash and keep my hair plaitted.

Thanks, that actually helps. Maybe I will just pick up another wig because I am sick of my old one. Haven't worn it for a couple days. :ohwell:

TIA

I've been transitioning since January too so I know how you're feeling. I'm tired of the wigs and before I know it it will be summer and I'll be sweating' like no ones business. They're just convenient.
Have you thought about braids, weaves or cornrows extensions to stop you from having to deal with the two textures for a while?

I'm 13 weeks post and it's going okay...having alot of breakage this week for some reason. :wallbash: Ugh. I have been rollersetting and it still works out pretty good, but I think I am going to look for a wig or something for the days I don't want to deal with my hair. :perplexed

TIA

Have you tried braid outs or twist outs? It also might be a good time to look into getting your hair cut into another style so that it will fall better when/if you wear it down or curly. Also a flexirod or curlformer set would help blend your ng vs relaxed hair, and you can pin curls up or do a "puff" or just wear them down depending on your mood.

I'm still going strong. My last relaxer was Jan. 2007. I'm ready to cut off the relaxer. I was wearing half wigs for a couple months, but now I'm wearing twistouts and flexirod sets. I'm still looking for a good moisturizer. I'm probably going to big chop within the next month. I have to see how I feel.

I'm at week 24 and I so want to cut of the relaxed ends, it seems like it tangles a lot. I washed and DCed last night and didn't have a problem with tangles because I actually took my time (I usually half-a$$ detangle). I did notice long strands coming out, but that has been happening for 4 years now, even more when I blowdry. I think it may stem from not combing my hair for a few days. I hope.

I'm still transitioning. I've made a year post and everything seems to be getting easier for me. Detangling is no longer a task for me. I normally wash in sections and that has helped alot. I try and do 4 but when i'm lazy i only do 2. I normally use nexxus humectress to condition with but i used something different last night. i think it was optimum something. omg i had so much shedding. Needless to say i'm sticking with my nexxus lol.

I'm still transitioning. I've made a year post and everything seems to be getting easier for me. Detangling is no longer a task for me. I normally wash in sections and that has helped alot. I try and do 4 but when i'm lazy i only do 2. I normally use nexxus humectress to condition with but i used something different last night. i think it was optimum something. omg i had so much shedding. Needless to say i'm sticking with my nexxus lol.

Great progress, cinn! :grin: i love your avi pic.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here, lol. I decided a couple of months ago to turn my stretch into a tansition. For years I've wanted to go natural, however, I thought I had to chop all my hair off. That was not going to happen. I've had long hair my whole life so me and short hair might not work. I've never seen my natural texture because like many, my ma started relaxing my hair around...5. All she said was that it was thick. I'm tender headed too so i can see why she took that route. Anyway, I'll be five months post in a week or so. I just need help in regards to breakage and keeping my hair most. I've read the thread but still a lil confused as how to go about these.
Thanks. sorry so long:ohwell:

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here, lol. I decided a couple of months ago to turn my stretch into a tansition. For years I've wanted to go natural, however, I thought I had to chop all my hair off. That was not going to happen. I've had long hair my whole life so me and short hair might not work. I've never seen my natural texture because like many, my ma started relaxing my hair around...5. All she said was that it was thick. I'm tender headed too so i can see why she took that route. Anyway, I'll be five months post in a week or so. I just need help in regards to breakage and keeping my hair most. I've read the thread but still a lil confused as how to go about these.
Thanks. sorry so long:ohwell:

Welcome to da club!!:grin:

I have not relaxed my hair since January 08. My plan was to relax in May just before my birthday. But it looks like Omega 3 6 9 done changed up the game. My new growth is softer than it had ever been when taking msm. I am totally amazed at how our hair's natural healthy state comes out when we feed it the right things from the inside. I'm sitting here like, "do I really want to ruin these soft pretty waves with a relaxer. Mind you it wasnt like this before. I could kiss the feet of the poster who introduced Nordic Naturals. I originally started taking it for my acne which has cleared up 99% and has stayed that way for the longest time ever. Then I started noticing more shine and bigger waves growing from my head. I dont think I want to relax that. I have about two inches of it especially in my difficult crown area.

I tried transitioning in 2003 and gave up after a couple of months because my hair was breaking and unmanageable. Now, I think I can actually do this. I've made so many health changes since 2003. Maybe my hair can handle the challenge now.

eta: also, I am so tired of looking at these thin relaxed ends. They need to be grown out!

Last edited:
Hey ya'll

I decided that I want to go natural.
I'm 5 1/2 to 6 weeks post relaxer and I have almost an 1 1/2 of newgrowth. I thank this website for all the hair info and insight because I would not have had a clue.
Well--it's only an inch but I think I have just fallen in love with my true texture. It's so curly!

I've had issues in the past with stretching but I think I can hang with it this time. I'm a ful shoulderlength right now and I think I will be stretching for a while because I do not think I'd look good with a small fro.

The biggest concern for me is styling options. And I'm currently researching. I'm so used to wraps and ponytails I can't think of what else to do with my hair.

Hey ya'll

I decided that I want to go natural.
I'm 5 1/2 to 6 weeks post relaxer and I have almost an 1 1/2 of newgrowth. I thank this website for all the hair info and insight because I would not have had a clue.
Well--it's only an inch but I think I have just fallen in love with my true texture. It's so curly!

I've had issues in the past with stretching but I think I can hang with it this time. I'm a ful shoulderlength right now and I think I will be stretching for a while because I do not think I'd look good with a small fro.

The biggest concern for me is styling options. And I'm currently researching. I'm so used to wraps and ponytails I can't think of what else to do with my hair.

Gotta get creative girlie! There are so many options- bantu knots, braid outs, roller setting still works although alot of folks have a hard time believing so (you may have to go over the roots with a flat iron if you want a straight look, but its still an option)......if you get frustrated with your hair, you can always throw in braids, a phony pony tail, half wig, full on weave. Truly- once you get past that 6-9month point, things become SO much easier.

:sad:
the last 3 days have been bad hair days. :darkcloud:

i'm at that point where I want to BC but I refuse to do so to keep my length BUT i'm almost exactly 50/50 so hair is a chore. i'm seeing breakage and i'm bored with the same old cornrows week after week.

i came sooooooooo close to BCing yesterday it was crazy. luckily for me i won't BC my own hair, and i know that for me dealing w/ short natural hair would be the death of me.

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: I WANT MY RELAXED ENDS GONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

ARRRGGGGH! :fistshake: this is me----> :hair: i feel like i'm in hair :jail:
icon13.gif

Have any transitioners noticed this happen to them:
I don't know what is going on here.
I have 18 weeks of new growth and its a lot softer than I remember my natural hair being.
Whats really freaking me out is that the balsd patch in the back of my head has grow a couple of inches and the hair almost straight with very loose coils. I'm supposed to be 4a/b.

MY REGIME
-Oil massage the night before wash day
-Wash twice a week with Ayurveda powders and DC condition evertime
-Plait hair after every wash on damp hair
-Baggy every night
-Moisturise twice a day
-MSM, Flaxseed oil, Vit B, Vit A, C AND D, Silica.

I have 18 weeks of new growth and its a lot softer than I remember my natural hair being.
Whats really freaking me out is that the balsd patch in the back of my head has grow a couple of inches and the hair almost straight with very loose coils. I'm supposed to be 4a/b.

MY REGIME
-Oil massage the night before wash day
-Wash twice a week with Ayurveda powders and DC condition evertime
-Plait hair after every wash on damp hair
-Baggy every night
-Moisturise twice a day
-MSM, Flaxseed oil, Vit B, Vit A, C AND D, Silica.

I've noticed my new growth is alot softer, and all of a sudden, bangs that have been bangs forever (without me ever cutting them - lol) are growing out. I think its b/c my mother was HORRIBLE at hair care and b/c she couldnt deal with my hair, relaxers seemed like the only way, but relaxers only caused more damage cuz she was so horrible at hair care - lol. the ONLY issue thats driving me nuts is that i'm trying to transition w/out BCing and the demarcation line is DRIVING ME CRAZY. Its horrible. my hair gets so matted in that area no matter how much conditioner i put in. thats why i had to get the bkt - to save my hair!

Welcome new transitioners! hope you stick to it.

I'm 9 months in and feeling pressure to texlax due to frustration, but I'm holding out.

vesta I haven't noticed that, but it sounds great, i'm glad you're growing in nice and healthy!!

Im not officially transitioning yet... but am leaning towards it...Im about 12 weeks post texlax and until about 2 weeks ago I couldnt even tell I had NG.. its so soft and manageable... the only way I can tell now is its slightly drier than the rest of my hair...

Im attributing that to Ayurvedics & co-washes

This is my second run at going natural. First time a just cut everything off and rocked a Caesar before growing locs to the middle of my back for about 4 years.

For some crack head reason I cut it all off and started perming again.

I'm a publicist and can't afford to go natural the extreme route again but this time around I’m having MAJOR issues. I have a weave in and I am trying to use the ayurvedic powders and oils in growing my hair out. It is difficult because I don’t have complete access to my hair to do the proper treating I’m use to. My goal is s/l healthy strong hair by the end of 2008.

I will be on this thread heavy cause I need help before I get impatient and pull out my jar of kiddy perm lol.

My length went down the drain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies, please help! I am transitioning from self texlaxed to natural and I am having a less than desireable time. I thought i'd finally mastered my technique but now i'm not so sure. :look:

I had gained a bit of length but last week when I washed my hair I noticed a whole lot of hair in the tub. My hair is VERY thin, soft and fine, so needless to say, I can't afford to a lot of shedding or breakage. :nono:

I have attached a few photos from last my last wash on Sunday and i'm hoping you ladies can take a look to let me know my hair texture as well as whether it looks like maybe the relaxed ends went bye, bye or whether i'm dealing with a bigger issue. Hopefully you can see how the middle part in the back is missing in action! :wallbash::wallbash:

I'll also post this in the thin, fine hair support thread in hopes of obtaining additional responses. It's almost been a year since I started this process and now i'm really discouraged. Can any one relate....any one?

Last edited:
Some of you early transitioners should realize the key to transitioning is treating your hair as if you were already natural. I think those first few weeks are the most frustrating because we're still in the "relaxed" mind set. So when our relaxed products and techniques stop working, we begin to panic. Lately, whenever I'm here, I only hang out in the natural threads, and sometimes I hang out at the other natural board-that-shall-be-nameless. I listen to their advice and try to do what they do. Like a lot of naturals, I wash my hair in loose braids, use more products for natural or curly hair, and try to wear more natural styles.

In fact, I'm starting to get the itch to BC, but I want to wait a little while longer. I'm doing a mini chop today to just above shoulder length. These scraggly relaxed ends are driving me insane.

Thank you thank you thank you. I put my hair in a bun and I looked like Aunt Bee. I'm going to start twisting and bantu knotting and pretending it's already all natural. I think I'm at 16 wks post and things are looking puffy. I'm going to have to pray on the relaxed mindset I so readily got back into.

Well I made the plunge...bc'ed although I had originally planned to transition til I was bsl natural.:blush: Even though the transition was going well, there was no doubt that I would not relax again, so I figured why wait. I knew that I was/am not a twa type person, but I am SO glad I bc'ed. Hopefully by this time next year I'll be sporting a nice twist out. Pics below are "before" (April 2008) and "after" (May 13, 2008) My gray front (which is straighter than the the rest of my hair) is determined to see and be seen.:look:

Attachments

• April 2008_2.JPG
    April 2008_2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 10
  • BC_May 13 2008_2.JPG
    BC_May 13 2008_2.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 21
Back