Transitioners: Do any of you BLOWDRY???

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Just wondering if any of you current or former transitioners ever blowdried their hair...

I'm thinking about going back to blowdrying. I'm tired of looking like a little girl wearing ponytails and buns. I just like wearing my hair down. I want to do what kitchen_tician does and blowdry every two weeks.
Also, my aunt did this when she transitioned to natural, except she would blowdry and use an electric pressing comb every week!
I don't think it would hurt or damage my new growth. I plan on using grease and oil as well to protect my hair from breakage.

What do you ladies think???

NEVAR!!1 :dork:

But um, thats cause I'm not far enough to need it. I dont think doing it every two weeks would be very damaging, since i know you'll be using that heat protectant to the fullest!

No... I did not blowdry during my transition....I was steadfast on airdrying to keep my newgrowth in the best possible condition...

Personally, I'd say avoid the blowdryer...
But if u feel that u can properly maintain healthy, thriving hair with it, then go for it :cool:

candibear you are too funny!!!! :lol:
anyways i blow dry occasionally :spank: i love kitchen_tician's hair and i have been thinking about blow drying every other week as well. poohbear, like you, i love to wear my hair down.
personally, i think it should be ok... besides the way i think of it is im going to cut my relaxed ends off eventually so it really doesnt matter. but thats my way of thinking. ofcourse when im completely natural... i wont have to use heat. but until then i think twice a month should be ok.
if you are worried about too much damage... invest in a good blow dryer (not the ones from the 80s that blow hair crispy). i like the ion blow dryer. it gets my hair straight on the first pass. also, use a good heat protectant ( i like ion heat protectant spray).
but for this weekend's hair wash... i stole peachtree's transition method. i washed, detangled, conditioned, and placed in a bun to airdry. supposedly, it will make my hair wavy to straight without the use of heat. ill let ya'll know what happens.

I think that Black Cardinal blow dries her hair. The only time I use heat on my hair is at the Dominican salon and I go rarely. If I'm dying to do a length check, then I'll flat iron a small piece of airdried hair. Why not rollerset and flat iron the roots? :scratchch

Tai said:
I think that Black Cardinal blow dries her hair. The only time I use heat on my hair is at the Dominican salon and I go rarely. If I'm dying to do a length check, then I'll flat iron a small piece of airdried hair. Why not rollerset and flat iron the roots? :scratchch

I know a lot of ladies see blowdrying as the devil and they prefer flat ironing, but I see the flat iron as more damaging than a blowdryer. The flat iron presses directly on the hair while a blowdryer blows air on your hair. Plus, I don't know how to properly use a flat iron and only done it a few times out of my life. For me, doing a rollerset is too much manipulation to me too with all this new growth. On Saturday, my mom blowdried my hair and did a good job. She was kinda rough, but I didn't suffer much breakage at all. So, I think blowdrying will work out for me as long as I have the right technique, keep it at a minimum (2X a month), and be very patient and gentle with my hair.

vangrey said:
candibear you are too funny!!!! :lol:
anyways i blow dry occasionally :spank: i love kitchen_tician's hair and i have been thinking about blow drying every other week as well. poohbear, like you, i love to wear my hair down.
personally, i think it should be ok... besides the way i think of it is im going to cut my relaxed ends off eventually so it really doesnt matter. but thats my way of thinking. ofcourse when im completely natural... i wont have to use heat. but until then i think twice a month should be ok.
if you are worried about too much damage... invest in a good blow dryer (not the ones from the 80s that blow hair crispy). i like the ion blow dryer. it gets my hair straight on the first pass. also, use a good heat protectant ( i like ion heat protectant spray).
but for this weekend's hair wash... i stole peachtree's transition method. i washed, detangled, conditioned, and placed in a bun to airdry. supposedly, it will make my hair wavy to straight without the use of heat. ill let ya'll know what happens.

Any way I airdry doesn't get my new growth straight enough. :ohwell: The only way I can style my hair when I airdry is in a bun or ponytail. And I look like a little girl with those styles. Right now, I'm doing an accounting internship and I feel like my hair looks inappropriate for work. My hair doesn't look right when part of my hair is all curly and thick and the other part is relaxed and thin looking. When I go totally natural, I will wear my hair down all the time.
Here's my plan... my internship is over with on April 15. I will blowdry my hair every 2 weeks until it's over. After that, I plan on just getting a regular summer job and wearing my hair in cornrows every 3 weeks, rest one week, cornrows for another 3 weeks, and so on for several months, even during school, to grow my hair out (CaramelHonee's braid challenge). ;)

Last edited:
I've only blow dried once at the beginning of my transition and that was to get some cornrows. I do not plan to use heat again anytime soon IF EVER. Using heat is such a gamble, there are too many horror stories out there. And isn't the point for we transitioners (most of us anyway) to have hair that is as healthy as possible? I don't see heat contributing to our hair health. And, I also heard something about the use of petroleum products while heat styling being extra damaging.

I only mentioned rollersetting and flat ironing as a way to avoid using less direct heat since most people end up blowdrying and then curling/flat ironing. Transitioning hair can be very delicate, especially around the demarcation line but you already know that. Ultimately, you know what's best for your hair.

MeccaMedinah said:
I've only blow dried once at the beginning of my transition and that was to get some cornrows. I do not plan to use heat again anytime soon IF EVER. Using heat is such a gamble, there are too many horror stories out there. And isn't the point for we transitioners (most of us anyway) to have hair that is as healthy as possible? I don't see heat contributing to our hair health. And, I also heard something about the use of petroleum products while heat styling being extra damaging.

Thanks for your response. I'm just the type of person that doesn't get into everything I hear. I believe you can have healthy hair when using heat in moderation. I had healthy hair when I was younger when my mom used blowdryers and curling irons on my hair. When I joined this forum, I too would hear how bad heat is and certain products are for your hair. I have products with petrolatum in them but I see it this way... how do people that say they are bad know its that one certain ingredient causing them problems?
I think the thing that damaged my hair last year was the using permanent color and having my mom relax my entire hair shaft (causing it to be overprocessed). Not necessarily just blowdrying my hair to dry it once a month (I use to wash my hair just once a month). But I did get rid of using curling irons (which is direct heat) because I think that comtributed to my ends looking thin. So I just think it depends on the type of heat you use and how often you use it. I know several ladies on here who have used heat and still use heat and have beautiful hair!

Tai said:
I only mentioned rollersetting and flat ironing as a way to avoid using less direct heat since most people end up blowdrying and then curling/flat ironing. Transitioning hair can be very delicate, especially around the demarcation line but you already know that. Ultimately, you know what's best for your hair.

Oh okay! ;) I guess that's why people see blowdrying as bad because they use more heat afterwards. That's what my mom does...blowdry then uses curling irons. She uses curling irons everyday! :eek: Anyway, here's what I plan to do after I blowdry... I'm just going to oil my ends and roll sections of my hair around rollers to give my hair some curl on the ends. I do not plan on curling/flat ironing my hair afterwards. That would be a lot of heat usage!

This weekend my hair went crazy my roots felt like a brillo pad and my hair was a tangled mess. I didn't no what to do so I condition washed with Motions CPR, applied NTM leave in then blow dryed the roots like Weby's instructions for a dominican blow out the dryer was not that hot I held the brush close to my scalp. My new growth just straightened out really well and the blow dryer was on medium to low heat it didn't take much at all. Then once I finished a section I applied a small amount of WGO. I could have left the ends somewhat damp and rolled them. But I flat ironed with my iron on 5 it gets up to 20. I am not heat biased I will use it sparingly when need be my hair feels and looks much healthier today it is so soft I will be rolling it tonight I might follow kitchens routine and wash in two weeks.

Last edited:
I rarely use heat but thats cuz I am in braids all the time. When I am not in braids, I just let it airdry. The only blowdryers I like are the ones with the comb attachments and those are impossible to find here! I didnt bring mine from home because I wanted to save space. If I had brought it though, I do not think that I would use it much because I would fear breakage......

I havent done it in a while, my texture actually looks much smoother and shinier if I air dry or wrap it and use my bonnet dryer.

Hey Poohbear :wave: I'm not a transitioner (yet...) I just wanted to say that your blowdried pics of your hair are very pretty, the results came out great! Your hair is thickening up nicely. :up:

Thanks CbG!!! :grin:

I like how my hair has thickened up too. I just want to sport it! I like wearing the scrunchie bun, but I don't have time to fix my hair into that in the morning sometimes. And I just didn't feel right wearing the ponytail... Made my head feel really big! I just like my hair better when it's down.

I see that "yet" in paretheses...So you're thinking about transitioning too??? Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:
I don't use any heat whatsoever on my transitioning hair. I'm not taking any chances. I'll probably flat iron my hair occasionally once I'm fully natural.

SilkyandSmooth said:
I don't use any heat whatsoever on my transitioning hair. I'm not taking any chances.

This was my thinking at first and yes I do see the benefits of not using heat. I'm just not feelin' these airdried hair styles right now. :look: But I'm a risky person and highly unpredictable sometimes so I'm gonna take the chance with using heat. But there are proper ways to use heat without damaging your hair. ;)

The last time I used heat was last Thanksgiving, I thought I could wear my hair down and straight but it just kinked right up. I love my curls and waves and don't plan on blowdrying again anytime soon, I'm scared that I'm going to permanently alter my curl pattern too....

I used heat maybe once during the transition. I didn't really see the need because I wasn't trying to wear my hair down. Wet-set styles were my favorite. I think early on it's okay to blow-dry because it's easier to get the new growth straight but around month 6 or 7, it's much harder for the hair to even fall downwards as the new growth tends to kink right back up and out. At that point going for styles that blend the textures is much easier and better for your new growth. I guess for now it's okay but further down the line I'd go for the rollerset/flat-iron method instead of regular blow-drying.

Last edited:
mkstar826 said:
I used heat maybe once during the transition. I didn't really see the need. Wet-set styles were my favorite. Depending on how long you transition and your natural hair texture, your two textures may not be able to tolerate blow-drying. I guess for now it's okay but further fown the line I'd go for the rollerset/flat-iron method.

To me, flat ironing is more damaging than blowdrying. Plus, you have to press the hot flat iron against your hair and run your hair through it several times to get it straight. The blowdryer just blows hot air.
Down the road, I plan on wearing cornrows off and on so there won't be any heat required. I'm just blowdrying for right now with this accounting internship I have so my hair would look more professional.

are you blow-drying with a comb attachment? i see what you're saying but i think either way direct heat can be damaging depending on the temperature of the heat and the condition of your hair.

(i edited what i originally said so my reasoning would make more sense)

mkstar826 said:
are you blow-drying with a comb attachment? i see what you're saying but i think either way direct heat can be damaging depending on the temperature of the heat and the condition of your hair.

(i edited what i originally said so my reasoning would make more sense)

I will use either a blowdrying brush or comb attachment. I've never really had problems with blowdrying with heat in the past...just curling irons, permanent coloring, and having my mom relax my entire hair shaft. I know heat can be damaging, I'm just testing out this option of using heat just twice a month until mid-April, and then I will start getting my hair cornrowed during the rest of my transition. I will make sure the temperature isn't too hot. Thanks! ;)

I think the key to heat usage without damage is to use it in moderation, not using the highest temperature, and using a heat protectant. I have blowdried my hair and flat ironed afterwards in order to achieve straight styles but I am going to start rollersetting and then flat ironing to see how that goes. Either way my new growth comes out just as coily as always. So I think I am doing the right thing to protect my hair. I have seen natural and texturized heads on this board with beautiful results after using that method. I believe that I am a 3c so it does not take alot of heat to straighten my hair. It is just so thick relaxed and natural. I would say try it and see how it goes but just remember to protect your strands and don't use a high heat.

Poohbear said:
Thanks for your response. I'm just the type of person that doesn't get into everything I hear. I believe you can have healthy hair when using heat in moderation. I had healthy hair when I was younger when my mom used blowdryers and curling irons on my hair. When I joined this forum, I too would hear how bad heat is and certain products are for your hair. I have products with petrolatum in them but I see it this way... how do people that say they are bad know its that one certain ingredient causing them problems?
I think the thing that damaged my hair last year was the using permanent color and having my mom relax my entire hair shaft (causing it to be overprocessed). Not necessarily just blowdrying my hair to dry it once a month (I use to wash my hair just once a month). But I did get rid of using curling irons (which is direct heat) because I think that comtributed to my ends looking thin. So I just think it depends on the type of heat you use and how often you use it. I know several ladies on here who have used heat and still use heat and have beautiful hair!

ITA,my hair is weird right now because of all the coloring I have done to it. In all my 31 years, I have never experienced problems from blow-drying. Everyone has different hair. Mine may take what yours can't. When I was younger, there was always some sort of heat in my head and my hair was bangin back then, long and healthy. Over the years my mistakes have always been with the chemical double processing (colors and relaxers) never the heat. Now it is one thing to use it everyday and another every other week. If your using protectants, and using it in moderation and moisturizing and doing hot oils and protein treatments, won't your hair be able to withstand the occassional heat?

kitten73 said:
ITA,my hair is weird right now because of all the coloring I have done to it. In all my 31 years, I have never experienced problems from blow-drying. Everyone has different hair. Mine may take what yours can't. When I was younger, there was always some sort of heat in my head and my hair was bangin back then, long and healthy. Over the years my mistakes have always been with the chemical double processing (colors and relaxers) never the heat. Now it is one thing to use it everyday and another every other week. If your using protectants, and using it in moderation and moisturizing and doing hot oils and protein treatments, won't your hair be able to withstand the occassional heat?

Yeah, my hair has thrived with heat too. And I agree with what you said about your hair being able to take what others can't. When I joined this forum and tried airdrying after hearing heat is bad, my hair just doesn't look as nice as it does when I use heat. Airdried rollersets are the only thing that works for me. Rollers have a way of straightening my hair and making the ends look nice. I just wish I never colored my hair and I wish I had some knowledge about relaxing just the new growth before all these years of letting my mom relax my entire hair shaft. I don't think using heat with a blowdryer every two weeks is bad compared to the amount of heat I used to use on my hair when I used curling irons almost everyday. As long as I use the right technique with the blowdryer then I think my hair should be fine since it's been that way ever since I started using a blowdryer on my hair. ;)

Im transitioning, been doing so since June, and its a MUST for me to use a blowdrier or I would look a hot mess, and I would NOT be able to comb through my hair AT ALL. I was doing more damage then good when I was airdrying, because I was having such a hard time combing it afterwards.
As for rollers, my hair(roots) would laugh at a roller, cause the only part that would get somewhat straight was the relaxed ends.
I blowdry weekly w/ a heat protectant and I use WGO to press. Other than that, thats all the heat my hair sees in a given week. I can only say, that thats working for me. But, it has all been a trial and error thing as you know. I say give it a try for a few weeks, if it works for you then thats a plus, if not the atleast you will know what amount of heat your hair can stand.

I just straightened my hair for the first time during my transition. I used a blowdryer after putting a straightening creme in just to get it dry (big fro effect) then I used a flat iron after putting a little more cream mixed w/shea butter. My texture came back just fine. I think the thing is to use some kind of silicone/heat protectant on your hair and just don't overdo the straightening. If you use heat, you shouldn't be putting a lot of tension on it at the same time (like brushing while you are blowdrying) The majority of the time I airdry but I wanted a straight style for my wedding.

:scratchch Hmmm... I blowdried my hair on Saturday and I think it was a little too drying. Oil doesn't work too well with the blowdryer on my hair. I didn't have grease so that could be a reason too. So I may cut out using the blowdryer. My hair isn't the same as it was when I relaxed regularly. Once I get my Maxiglide in the mail, my regime will change once again! :spinning:

I think after I wash my hair, I will just airdry my hair, use the Maxiglide, and at night, wear my hair back with 6 rollers rolled flipped up and tie my hair real tight with a satin scarf at night to flatten/straighten my new growth. Does that sound like a better plan??? :weird:

Back