TRANSITIONERS' CORNROWS W/ RELAXED ENDZ

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
TRANSITIONERS\' CORNROWS W/ RELAXED ENDZ

Fellow transitioners: It's been a while since I cornrowed my own hair... years acutally. I didn't use a mirror to do these, so don't laugh too hard.

Since I have some new growth and am planning to put in my own single braids at the end of the month, I wanted to practice a little over the weekend to get my fingers more nimble again!!!

This style won't last but a week because of the relaxed endz. I wish I had the patience to do them smaller, though...
ohwell.gif

Re: TRANSITIONERS\' CORNROWS W/ RELAXED ENDZ

Girl you did those yourself?! And without a mirror?!
shocked.gif
I can't cornrow a lick so I'm really impressed. I'm lucky if I can get one french braid going good, hahahahaha.

I just spent the weekend (and I do mean the WHOLE weekend) braiding my hair in single braids almost to my butt. So I totally understand the need for nimble fingers.

Girl, them cornrows look good. I wish I could cornrow my own hair like that. I just don't have the patience. Oh and I looked at your braid out pictures earlier today.....they are gorgeous.
blush.gif
Do you cornrow your hair that small to get a braid out like in your pictures?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Laela said:
Fellow transitioners: It's been a while since I cornrowed my own hair... years acutally. I didn't use a mirror to do these, so don't laugh too hard.

Since I have some new growth and am planning to put in my own single braids at the end of the month, I wanted to practice a little over the weekend to get my fingers more nimble again!!!

This style won't last but a week because of the relaxed endz. I wish I had the patience to do them smaller, though...
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Laela,

I'm gonna whup you for making excuses for your lovely cornrows!!!
spank.gif
I wish I could braid like that! The local community college is giving some classes on braiding this summer and I'm gonna take them, think of all the money I'll save!!:) There are 4 classes an each one is $30, but that $120 investment will be a good one!

Ennyaa said:
Girl you did those yourself?! And without a mirror?!
shocked.gif
I can't cornrow a lick so I'm really impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious??
shocked.gif
Thanks! actually, I did STAND in front of a mirror..the back and sides were done w/out the aid of a mirror. But for the most part, no pun intended, I'm trying to not rely on a mirror.... it slows me down.

Ennyaa said:
I just spent the weekend (and I do mean the WHOLE weekend) braiding my hair in single braids almost to my butt. So I totally understand the need for nimble fingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoooaahhhh... I'm sure doing those took a while! How many total hours (not including the nap, meal break, movie break, phone break, etc...
laugh.gif
) do you estimate? how small are your braids?

diamoness said:
Girl, them cornrows look good. I wish I could cornrow my own hair like that. I just don't have the patience. Oh and I looked at your braid out pictures earlier today.....they are gorgeous.
blush.gif
Do you cornrow your hair that small to get a braid out like in your pictures?

[/ QUOTE ]

A modest thank you, diamoness.. the cornrows I do for the braodout are from front to back, slightly bigger than these. the braider can be done tighter when my hair's wet, thus the extra krinkly look.

Braiding just takes practice ...and patience.. a lot of both. Like you, I don't have the patience. But I'll have to get it, since I plan on braiding more....

ms_kenesha said:
Laela,

The local community college is giving some classes on braiding this summer and I'm gonna take them, think of all the money I'll save!!:) There are 4 classes an each one is $30, but that $120 investment will be a good one!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good investment, ms_kenesha! Go for it...

Ms Kenesha are you in the NY metro area by any chance???
I would really like to take these classes so I could braid my own hair.

thanks
caralexis

Hi Laela,

Your pictures look good. You can seriously braid some hair girlie! I like your bun pictures too. What did you use to make it so shiny?
grin.gif

laela:

Your braids look great! I wish I could braid....oh the $$$ I would have saved.

Hmmm total hours? I'd say more than 24. *sigh* (Yeah I'm nuts but it only cost me $6. lol) The braids are fairly small and there are about 90 or so of them. The way I do it I don't add the extension till after I've braided my own hair for a bit. Then I make sure it's not bulkier than the section I'm already braiding so they look really small and you can't tell where my hair ends and the extension begins without looking really close. The crazy part is they look fuzzy and grown out after a month but this time I'm gonna try and keep them in longer. I have a feeling me and gel and S-Curl are gonna be the bestest of friends.
laugh.gif

I wish I could learn how to do braids. I would be braiding my hair up. Your braids look great!! I wish I could braid my own hair.
smile.gif
God bless you all.

Ennyaa said:
Hmmm total hours? I'd say more than 24. *sigh* (Yeah I'm nuts but it only cost me $6. lol) The braids are fairly small and there are about 90 or so of them. The way I do it I don't add the extension till after I've braided my own hair for a bit. Then I make sure it's not bulkier than the section I'm already braiding so they look really small and you can't tell where my hair ends and the extension begins without looking really close. The crazy part is they look fuzzy and grown out after a month but this time I'm gonna try and keep them in longer. I have a feeling me and gel and S-Curl are gonna be the bestest of friends.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment, ladies...
Ennyaa: I never thought to add the extension AFTER braiding the hair instead of adding it to the root. that sounds healthier....

Laela that's a major reason I started doing it that way. I always felt like when stylists locked that hair right at the root that they pulled it too much especially at the edges and put way more tension and weight than they should on just a few strands of hair. Also I could never judge growth well because I was never sure if the braid was just slipping. This looks more natural to me with no big knot right at the root.

Don't laught? Girl, please. I'm giving you a HI 5. You did a GREAT job. I think they look very nice.
smile.gif

pooh123 said:
Hi Laela,

What did you use to make it so shiny?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Pooh..
wave.gif
forgot to mention to ya..my "secret weapon" is Dudley's Total Control cuticle sealant. It's more a finisher and a little goes a long way. 2 or 3 sprays is all I use and I don't use anything else after that..It's only $10 each. You may want to check the sales at the salons in the malls, though. I'd gotten 2 for $10 during my last touch up Dillards and have been hooked ever since!!

oooooh, THANKS ALLANDRA!
blush.gif
I'm flattered..

It does look a little "scraggly" to me, though.. that's why I said dont'
laugh.gif

Back