Transition from relaxed to Texturized?

LuLu

I have a question.

Has anyone ever transitioned from relaxed to texturized?
How did you do it?
What products did you use?

Anyone who knows anything can respond!

Thanks girls! /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

I haven't done it but I know you have to start from scratch (chop off all of your relaxed hair and become natural, THEN you can texturize). That was actually the plan I had in mind 2 years ago. I am natural but now I am not sure what I want to do!!! But.. 1 step at a time :)

No, no, no, you do not have to start from scratch! I am actually doing it right now and I am not cutting off my relaxed ends! That is insanity! You really don't have to do anything special. I just got my hair texturized at my last touch up and I am going to continue to get it texturized. You have to be careful about the 2 textures. Hair must be kept moisturized to prevent breakage, which is the most important thing for me. Hiza is doing this as well as HoneyLemonDrop. They have amazing hair and they did not have to cut it. Perish the thought! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No, no, no, you do not have to start from scratch! I am actually doing it right now and I am not cutting off my relaxed ends! That is insanity! You really don't have to do anything special. I just got my hair texturized at my last touch up and I am going to continue to get it texturized. You have to be careful about the 2 textures. Hair must be kept moisturized to prevent breakage, which is the most important thing for me. Hiza is doing this as well as HoneyLemonDrop. They have amazing hair and they did not have to cut it. Perish the thought! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are doing this now? Do you mind telling me about your plan?

You are just leaving the relaxer in for less time now, how often are you relaxing?
How do you make sure not to overprocess/underprocess some parts?
What styles are you wearing?
What products are you using?
So many questions!

I'm really excited I think this might be the way I want to go, it's sort of like having the best of both worlds, you can wear it natural(kind of) or you can straighten if you want.

Any more info?

Awww thanks Ubavka /images/graemlins/kiss.gif. But what I did, didnt start off intentional. I believe the msm I was taking (and still do) just started resisting my touch ups. Then I just fell in love with the texturized part which looks much healthier and thicker. And from what I can see, I have about a good 5 inches of relaxed hair that appears more texturized than completely straight. Now I just watch the bone straight parts gradually grow out. I moisturize and wear buns daily which is why Im not fussing too much about the different textures. And for the moment due to some shedding issues, I use Nexxus Botanoil shampoo and Keraphix every 4 days. They say Keraphix's effects last about 72 hours (every 3 days)so that's why Im doing it like that. Then I detangle and moisturize with Pantene's Relaxed & Natural at night and I use Nexxus Headress in the morning. I just use a small amount of headress though. Before I do any leave ins I always spritz with distilled water. For some reason I never put leave ins in bone dry hair (even if its first ingredient is water, I dont care, I still spritz). Then if it's morning and Im on my way out, I just put a little coconut oil in my palms and run it through my hair for sheen. My hair has been thriving like this so far. That Keraphix is NO joke in the strength department. I even put down the Surge for a little while. Hope this helps.

Oh i see what you mean. but combing it must be hard huh? and do you use a lot of heat to get it straight or do u just have half curly half straight??

Yeah, I finger comb. I only detangle (with a wide tooth comb) after my washes. It works. I take my time with my fingers. And because I wear satin scarf at night and keep my hair in the general position it will be in for the bun, it's not that much of an issue with tangling because it's usually laid down.

[ QUOTE ]

You are doing this now? Do you mind telling me about your plan?

You are just leaving the relaxer in for less time now, how often are you relaxing?
How do you make sure not to overprocess/underprocess some parts?
What styles are you wearing?
What products are you using?
So many questions!

I'm really excited I think this might be the way I want to go, it's sort of like having the best of both worlds, you can wear it natural(kind of) or you can straighten if you want.

Any more info?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, yes I am doing this right now! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Mine happened accidentally, too. I tried self-relaxing and underprocessed. My hair had so much more body than the bone straight look that I was sold. I went to a professional to get the underprocessing fixed and he loosened the curl more than I did, but left the waves in my hair. I love it! Right now, I am experimenting with braidouts, but I mostly wear buns and twisted up-dos. I had a tough go of it at first, but now I have the hang of it. I am still using the same products I used on relaxed hair: salerm, NTM, lacio, nexxus products, GPB, Elucence EMRT, Kenra conditioners, monoi oil, WGO, Elasta Recovery, etc. (yes, I have a big staples list!). The key for me is moisturizing from root to tip! I used to just do the hair ends, because it was all straight, but now I pay close attention to the demarcation line also. I think of it this way: treat your hair as if you always need a touch-up. When the bone straight relaxer got old, you had to do different things than you did when the touch-up was fresh. Basically, now, I have to do those things all the time. Moisture is key and products with detangling properties are quite helpful. That's all I can think of for now. Also, I am 6 weeks post touch-up and I have new growth, but it doesn't bother me like it used to with the bone straight relaxer. I know that I will be able to stretch relaxers longer because my hair is not super straight! This is a surprise benefit for me. In the past I used to go 8 weeks and I know now that I can go longer. Oh, and I have zero plans to cut my relaxed ends until my text. hair is long! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I plan to try to get my hair text. every 12 weeks or so. I am not sure if I will do it myself, or go back to the last person who did it. The key was not smoothing the relaxer. He just put it on and let it sit. That's how I got the waves. HTH

[ QUOTE ]
Awww thanks Ubavka /images/graemlins/kiss.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome! It's no lie! Your hair is sooooo pretty! And you have been a great help to me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I started this in 6/03. I use Dominican shampoos and conditioners. My full regiment is on the regiment thread. My daily style is twist outs for another few months. I use Optimum relaxers and leave it on for ~1/2 the time.

So if your hair is texturized and you want it straight, Do you press it or just use a flat iron? How easy is it to go from straight to texterized or vice-versa?

Keen, I think the (cermamic) flat iron does the trick. I tried it once in an experiment and there was no difference between the two textures, I used my sheabutter olive oil mix prior. Atleast that's the way it worked for me.

[ QUOTE ]
How easy is it to go from straight to texterized or vice-versa?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just blow dry and style. It may revert if there's a lot of humidity.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awww thanks Ubavka /images/graemlins/kiss.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome! It's no lie! Your hair is sooooo pretty! And you have been a great help to me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great, Im glad I could help /images/graemlins/clap.gif.

Hi Lulu!

I started texturizing my hair in May 2003.
I haven’t had any big problems like breakage and the dealing with two different textures.

To reduce the amount of hair lost while washing/detangling, I separate my dry hair into two sections. I condition/detangle/shampoo/condition my hair in the shower a section at a time.

1-You are just leaving the relaxer in for less time now, how often are you relaxing?

I leave the relaxer in the front for 5 minutes ( 3c type in the front), in the back for 10-13 minutes (4a type). It takes me ca. 5 minutes to apply the relaxer for each section.
I divide my hair in 4 sections.
I do my retouch with Affirm FiberGuard lye mild every 4 months.

2-How do you make sure not to overprocess/underprocess some parts?

Well I only leave it for 5 and 10 in the back. I just time it.

3-What styles are you wearing?
Well right now 95% bun style. The other 5% in phoney tail.
I flat iron my hair once every 3-4 months.

4-What products are you using?
Oil for Pre-shampoo
-Castor oil
-coconut oil
-Olive oil

Shampoo
-Giovanni 50/50 Balanced
-Nexus Aloe Rid Clarifying

Conditioner washes
-Alberto Refreshing balsam
-Naturally honey balsam

Conditioner
-Super conditioner 10 en 1
-Jason Aloe Vera 84% Conditioner
-Alfaparf deep nutrition hair mask
-Salerm mascarilla
-Affirm FiberGuard Sustenance

Rinse/light conditioner
- Pantene Winter Rescue/ Smooth & Sleek
-Garnier fortifying cream condition
-Garnier fortifying deep condition

Protein/Reconstructor
-Affirm 5 in 1
-Aphogee

Leave- in
-Giovanni Direct
-Salerm 21

Style products
-Alfaparf semi di lino shine serum
-jojoba oil
-ArtEffeX conditioning oil dress

hiza...

I am doing this as well. I jsut leave my relaxer on half the time. I jsut switched to affirm regular. I really left it on for like 5 minutes.
I wear falls, rolelr sets and braids outs.

Thanks so much for replying.

I have another question, I know you guys leave it in for 5-10 minutes, do you just apply the relaxer? or do you smooth as well?

[ QUOTE ]

4-What products are you using?
Oil for Pre-shampoo
-Castor oil
-coconut oil
-Olive oil

Shampoo
-Giovanni 50/50 Balanced
-Nexus Aloe Rid Clarifying

Conditioner washes
-Alberto Refreshing balsam
-Naturally honey balsam

Conditioner
-Super conditioner 10 en 1
-Jason Aloe Vera 84% Conditioner
-Alfaparf deep nutrition hair mask
-Salerm mascarilla
-Affirm FiberGuard Sustenance

Rinse/light conditioner
- Pantene Winter Rescue/ Smooth & Sleek
-Garnier fortifying cream condition
-Garnier fortifying deep condition

Protein/Reconstructor
-Affirm 5 in 1
-Aphogee

Leave- in
-Giovanni Direct
-Salerm 21

Style products
-Alfaparf semi di lino shine serum
-jojoba oil
-ArtEffeX conditioning oil dress

hiza...

[/ QUOTE ]
HIZA,
Im loving your list of conditioners here /images/graemlins/love.gif
I have never used the Alfaparf deep nutrition hair mask
or the Salerm mascarilla. I already use the 10 en 1 which I always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. How do the other ones you mentioned compare and how do you use them?
CHAYA

Thanks for all of the advice ladies. I have been contemplating going from relaxed to texturized hair for quite some time now.

Hey, let's sart a relaxed-to-texturized challenge! Anyone? /images/graemlins/poke.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am doing this as well. I jsut leave my relaxer on half the time. I jsut switched to affirm regular. I really left it on for like 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tonya, btw, i love your hair colour pics, you hair looks so healthy, thick and beautiful. i have one quest...when you leave the Affirm Reg, for 5 minutes, do you get curly hair instead of straight. I want to try reg next time to achieve curls, i think i may have to leave min on for 10-12 minutes as mu hair is resistant.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tonya, btw, i love your hair colour pics, you hair looks so healthy, thick and beautiful. i have one quest...when you leave the Affirm Reg, for 5 minutes, do you get curly hair instead of straight. I want to try reg next time to achieve curls, i think i may have to leave min on for 10-12 minutes as mu hair is resistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question...I am thinking of ditching the Fiberguard for regular Affirm and I would like to know same! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It can be done without cutting your hair! This is how I did it. I had about 4 inches of NG which I got texturized, I gradually cut out the straight ends, I fought breakage and potentially miserable combing experience by doing co-washes 2 times a week, I would only comb from my ends up with my bone comb or jilbere shower comb (slowly). I did styles like braidouts and twistouts so that the two hair textures weren't so different. It takes time and patience but it can be done!

www.fotki.com/nubian7
password:hair

bump...

To the transitioners: 1.) Can you still do the same styles while transitioning from relaxed to texturized (blowing out hair, flat ironing), and 2.) How is the transitioning coming, for those that decided to keep your relaxed ends?

I'm doing this as well.

NOTE OF CAUTION: Do not mix sodium or calcium hydroxide based straightening products with thio based products on the same head of hair. These two products don't do well together. I am using a lye based relaxer to produce looser curly textured hair. Thus--texturizing. But it's the same product that can be applied with smoothing for a longer legnth of time to produce straight hair.

I am doing CO washes at least every other day and wearing curly wash and go styles that hide the fact that there are three textures.(New growth, texturized, and straight).

You need to take great care at the line of demarcation (same as with transitioners to natural) to prevent alot of breaking.

Hydration is key, because curly hair that is dried out looks frizzy and hard. I try to comb as little as possible, and with a large shower comb or fingers.

You may have to break down and use two different products for each texture. Heavier stuff like buttercream and Qhmet's amla oil pomade makes my thicker hair look fluffy and shiny, but makes my stringy ends look limp. So I have to apply a lighter oil to the straight ends.

Good thread:up:

Back