Tracyee's video: My Complete Flat Iron Tutorial : Heat Without The Damage

^^^^I can dig it!

I really hate YT these days. I have been trying to watch her whole video and it's loading oh so slow so I'ma give up atleast I got to see her hair in the beginning. is transitioning too texlax or something she mentioned her roots were texlaxed.

^^^^I can dig it!

I really hate YT these days. I have been trying to watch her whole video and it's loading oh so slow so I'ma give up atleast I got to see her hair in the beginning. is transitioning too texlax or something she mentioned her roots were texlaxed.

have you tried clearing your browser cookies and cache? sometimes that's the culprit when videos or pages aren't loading fast enough

Her skin is beautiful :love: Her hair goes w/o saying.

I was tickled to see she recommends CHI Infra Thermal Treatment conditioner! I used that too when I had that very successful press with no smell of burning. I had never heard of anyone using it but when I saw it at CVS and read that it provided heat protection, it made sense to start my "protection" at the conditioning stage. (I didn't use the other CHI products coz John Frieda line has my heart)

I also liked how she concentrates shampoo on her scalp mainly and how she doesn't apply conditioner to her scalp but focuses on her hair only. :up: Because my hair shrunken is thick, I had to use relaxer method on narrow section to apply CHI, and I used my fingers and find tooth comb to comb it through.

Halfway through the video when her hair was airdried and looked full and straight, I did wonder why she's straightening hair that looks straight. Then I realized she might be doing just her roots to make them match the rest of the hair. But she ran the iron down the length. :blush: Now I will admit when I was relaxed I used to use heat on my hair like there was no tomorrow. If I were relaxed today, I don't think I would.

But I have to admit, the end result looked good. :yep: And I think if she feels secure doing it, then it's worth it to look like that. She's so pretty!

have you tried clearing your browser cookies and cache? sometimes that's the culprit when videos or pages aren't loading fast enough

Also if you look at the processes running on Window Task Manager, sometimes you have unnecessary things using up your memory that could be shut to allow more room.

Another thing you can do is pause the video and go do something else. When you return it'll have buffered it to the end so when you play, it'll play through w/o pauses. ;)

i've been in love with tracyee's hair for about a year now. i secretly stalked her fotki and lusted after her length updates. then i started stalking her blog.and now i stalk her youtube. dont judge me. :look:

Halfway through the video when her hair was airdried and looked full and straight, I did wonder why she's straightening hair that looks straight. Then I realized she might be doing just her roots to make them match the rest of the hair. But she ran the iron down the length. :blush: Now I will admit when I was relaxed I used to use heat on my hair like there was no tomorrow. If I were relaxed today, I don't think I would.

But I have to admit, the end result looked good. :yep: And I think if she feels secure doing it, then it's worth it to look like that. She's so pretty!

Blowdried and airdried afro-textured hair, even relaxed hair, is not straight. It's still full of texture. Say she was doing a length check - there is no way that she could see the true length of her hair by just airdrying or blowdrying, or even roller-setting.

I dunno, flat-ironing just doesn't seem like a scary, dangerous process to me. I'm glad she did this video to show people her method...even though she doesn't use heat often at all.

Blowdried and airdried afro-textured hair, even relaxed hair, is not straight. It's still full of texture. Say she was doing a length check - there is no way that she could see the true length of her hair by just airdrying or blowdrying, or even roller-setting.

I dunno, flat-ironing just doesn't seem like a scary, dangerous process to me. I'm glad she did this video to show people her method...even though she doesn't use heat often at all.

I think straight is relative. Her hair looked straight to me. Unless hair has growth (which hers does), I personally think you can see length by stretching your hair with fingers. I personally never see any difference in length when I stretch my very kinky hair from how it looks when I straighten it. I do have fine hair though so it doesn't take much to pull it straight.

Flatironing doesn't seem dangerous to me either since I discovered protectants, but ever since seeing how people like Isis had nice thick hair from giving up heat--which seemed unnecessary since her hair was relaxed--I guess I noted that and thought if I ever relaxed my hair, I would probably never straighten it. I don't remember who it is but there is someone who only straightens her growth. :yep: That is what I'd do.

I think straight is relative. Her hair looked straight to me. Unless hair has growth (which hers does), I personally think you can see length by stretching your hair with fingers. I personally never see any difference in length when I stretch my very kinky hair from how it looks when I straighten it. I do have fine hair though so it doesn't take much to pull it straight.

I know for me, since different sections of my hair grow at different rates, it's very hard to see how long it all is, and how much growth I've gotten in certain sections relative to others by just stretching it with my fingers. I don't flat iron frequently though so I typically just wait until I relax to do length checks.

I know for me, since different sections of my hair grow at different rates, it's very hard to see how long it all is, and how much growth I've gotten in certain sections relative to others by just stretching it with my fingers. I don't flat iron frequently though so I typically just wait until I relax to do length checks.

Wow! You guys are anal in your measurements. I think the difference straightening my kinks would make from stretching them would be an inch or so for APL hair (If I had butt length hair, it might be a few inches)...and if I look at an inch ____________, that against my entire body is so minimal that it seems like a lot of work just to see that. But I do have to admit I am of the lazy persuasion. :giggle: But also, as I stated, my hair is very fine and very easy to stretch so that might also be why it makes little difference for me. Looking at my hair stretched, I don't see how much difference smoothing this out to make it silky would make:
ngesthairsectiononmyheadIthink-vi.jpg

I hope the next time I straighten my hair I remember to do a comparison. I'll be surprised if it makes much of a difference coz I just undid a twist and stretched it now, and if you ignore the pieces that stay curled up coz they're shorter (at a different growth phase) and so don't get stretched, you will see those stretched are fairly straight. Again the fine texture may be why this suffices for me.

Here's a close up of my hand-stretched hair which you will notice is fairly straight so straightening wouldn't change length by much:
hedHairShowsitisFairlyStraight-vi.jpg

Last edited:

not only that, but i know for me, when i just blowdry my hair it doesn't have that silky look that the flatiron gives. depends on what look you are trying to achieve i guess, but i know that i also have to flatiron the length of my hair to get a more uniform silky look.

she makes me want to go buy some chi conditioner now :look:. the pj in me lives on into 2011, sigh.

Last edited:
Oh, I am anal, no question :lol:. But for me, that's the whole purpose of a length check, to know exactly where I stand. I don't need to strech or straighten to tell you how long my hair is approximately, I'd just refer to the length it was the last time I checked. My anality has a limit. I think your method has merit if ones hair is blunt, or tends to all grow at the same rate, but for me, it wouldn't be very helpful if I was really trying to track (which I'm not at this stage in my HHJ). And like I said before, I tend to wait until relaxer days cause I'm also lazy.:lol:

not only that, but i know for me, when i just blowdry my hair it doesn't have that silky look that the flatiron gives. depends on what look you was trying to achieve i guess, but i know that i also have to flatiron the length of my hair to get a more uniform silky look.

she makes me want to go buy some chi conditioner now :look:. the pj in me lives on into 2011, sigh.

Funny you should say that; same here. When I blow dry my hair, I can still stretch it more with my hands coz it doesn't give the same effect as flatironing does for me either. :yep: In other words, I get a more or less the same length when I stretch my hair as when I flat iron it, but it is much shorter when I blowdry just like yours than when I stretch it with my hands. A blow dry leaves a slight wave similar to this:

aHeatDefeatandpressingwettodry-vi.jpg

My hands can stretch that a bit more as shown in the close-up I posted earlier.

@Nonie - didn't want to quote all of your posts, but stretching is a deceiving measurement. Depending on your hair's elasticity (which natural, healthy hair can stretch a lot & all hair should have at least some elasticity unless it's severely damaged), you can actually stretch your hair longer than it's true length (like a rubber band). I can flat iron my hair and it's straight - just about pin straight, but if I pull it, it will stretch down further. But, I can't walk around pulling my hair down, so that's not a true length measurement, to me. It's perfectly understandable for naturals who never straighten.

When your hair is wet and heavy with water, it's also deceiving. Every one, even a person with naturally straight type 1 hair, will appear to have longer hair when it's wet.

Everyone else already mentioned my other points.

now that mention it I don't know when the last time I did but I will. thanks.

ETA- I just cleared my history, cookies, and cache on my google chrome browser. I only cleared my history on mozilla I have to figure out how to do the rest, but anyways I am trying to watch the video again and so far it is loading MUCH faster. Thanks so much for that tip.

Last edited:
@Nonie - didn't want to quote all of your posts, but stretching is a deceiving measurement. Depending on your hair's elasticity (which natural, healthy hair can stretch a lot & all hair should have at least some elasticity unless it's severely damaged), you can actually stretch your hair longer than it's true length (like a rubber band). I can flat iron my hair and it's straight - just about pin straight, but if I pull it, it will stretch down further. But, I can't walk around pulling my hair down, so that's not a true length measurement, to me. It's perfectly understandable for naturals who never straighten.

When your hair is wet and heavy with water, it's also deceiving. Every one, even a person with naturally straight type 1 hair, will appear to have longer hair when it's wet.

Everyone else already mentioned my other points.

Good point! :yep: Which further makes me anxious to someday do the experiment of stretching vs flatironing.
:scratchch Maybe I can reach out to some physics students/instructors and measure the effects of tension in this experiment. Dayum, you make me want to go back to school so I could have access to a lab!

Back